Duke University Reviews

398 reviews filtered by

1. Difficult

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Recognizable name brand in the industry

Cons

Unstructured training/orientation, management, and oversight.

Advice to Management

Accountability for training and oversight

2. At first it was cool, but now not so much.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

1. Child Tuition Assistance (for those who work in the University, not the Medical Center).
    2. Excellent retirement plan.
    3. Stability - Duke isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cons

1. Salaries are lower than market.
    2. Outside of the Child Tuition Assistance and retirement match, the benefits are the same as any other company.
    3. Moving from University to Medical will eliminate Child Tuition Assistance.
    4. Horrible managers are allowed to wreck havoc and get rid of competent, hard workers.
    5. It's hard to move around once you reach a certain level. Many employees are as high as they can go, but lack the experience to move to another department. There is no training that will bridge the gap.
    6. Minorities occupy the low-level jobs, but aren't seen in very many management positions.
    7. There is no succession plan for employees.
    8. Out of touch with the current workforce.

Advice to Management

1. Do a real salary study and bring everyone up to market. That will enable you to get and retain quality employees.
    2. Clean house with the managers. They aren't doing the work, the people they're berating and getting rid of are. It only makes sense to get rid of the problem managers who have high turnover.
    3. Allow people who move from University to Medical to retain the Child Tuition Assistance. Since they won't get a huge pay increase, and will actually be low-balled, they really need that benefit to follow them.
    4. Create bridge training, so people can move from department to department seamlessly.
    4. Get more minorities in management positions. Why is this even an issue in 2012?
    5. Create a succession plan, so people will know how far they can go in their department.
    6. Actually listen to the reasons people turn down positions. If salary reasons are prevalent, then your salaries are too low. Fix them!

Your name isn't enough to carry you. People aren't loyal to just one company anymore, so the days of someone staying at below-market wages for 20 or 30 years are gone. You need to adapt, or you'll be left with a lot of gaping holes as the older workforce retires and the younger workforce moves on. Every time someone leaves, you lose valuable knowledge that can't be transferred to the replacement. No one ever uses every benefit available, so playing them up isn't enough to retain people. Cost of living increases mean people need to get pay increases. No one will stay with Duke if it means they can't pay their bills.

3. The promotion of individuals solely on the basis of the fact that they possess a PhD is a form of inbreeding.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst III in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst III in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

*Educational Benefit, both for employees and children of employees is great, but you sacrifice annual bonuses for this benefit
    *Retirement Plan is one of the better benefits
    *Health Insurance Benefit Package is good

Cons

**Lack of advancement opportunities
    **Low salary levels compared to comparable corporate entities
    **No annual bonus
    **Having to pay for the right to park your car

Advice to Management

Promote based on capability--not on the number of initials following your name;
    Stop making employees pay to park;
    Make salary levels comparable to private industry

5. slow to make decisions

Current Employee - Physician Extender in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Physician Extender in Durham, NC

Pros

benefits
    reputation
    retirement package
    decent time off

Cons

incompetent management, unfair treatment of employees by upper management. slow to raise salaries. Million dollar bonuses for upper administrators is appalling,even in a good economy.

Advice to Management

Employees have a life outside of work, respect that.

Stable, low-pressure, on the way to paying for your kids' college and retirement; hell if you're ambitious and talented

Current Employee - IT Analyst, Senior in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - IT Analyst, Senior in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

benefits, benefits, benefits (very good health and awesome retirement contribution)
    low-stress since it's not run like a business
    Durham, NC and Triangle are great places to live

Cons

Since it's not run like a business, talented people are not rewarded; lazy, aging employees will get the same rewards as everyone else
    Low salaries. Ridiculously low salaries.
    Not the most high-caliber employees. The prestige of Duke pertains to their academics, research, and health system. Most staff would fail miserably at a top-notch RTP company.
    Little hope for career challenge or advancement

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff. You don't crack the Top 5 of national lists partially because you have slack, unmotivated, mediocre employees.

7. Clinical researcher

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

Generally a laid back environment where ideas are shared freely. Very intelligent people, but so much red tape, not much gets done.

Cons

Salaries are generally lower than industry standards. Lots of disjointed offices who are suppose to work together, but have very poor communication

Advice to Management

Create positions to look at the inefficiencies and poor communication between separate offices. Discuss new SOPs with the people who actually have to use them before implementing them

8. Executive Director, Social Sector

Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Duke Divinity School I used management consulting skills to support efforts in hospice and post-war reconciliation. Fabulous worthy work at the top of many faith-based organizations. You learn a lot about why people act the way they do and what worthy goals are, and you get to hang out with people who have read many of the best ancient texts. The subject matter is inspirational and fascinating. I learned so much!

Cons

There is a naivety in top-tier universities about management. In my experience, it goes like this: "Because X is a prestigious university, and X hired me, I must be great at my supervisory role too though I have little management training, nor does my supervisor, and we do not have any role models for what a great manager does or looks like except for (fill in name of top sports coach like Coach K), who we invoke, but don't emulate." In this region, I have experienced this situation at UNC and at Duke. I love both the universities campuses and a lot of people on each campus. But this is a real problem leading to very painful public issues for both institutions that harm the institutions.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that few people are born managers and leaders. It's a craft. By respecting it and attending to its best practices, the Duke Divinity School can close the gap between espoused values and lived out values.

9. Duke university is a large local employer and offers good benefits

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy commute, nice co-workers, good benefits

Cons

evil corporate overloards, spoiled students

Advice to Management

you should pay your graduate students more money

10. Great benefits, not-so-great salaries unless you are a faculty member or top administrator.

Current Employee - Program Administrator
    Current Employee - Program Administrator

I have been working at Duke University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Durham is a fun, forward-looking town, with a great selection of restaurants, and no traffic jams. The cost of living is quite low, which makes the low salaries at Duke go farther than one would initially think.

Cons

There is a basic rule at Duke that for those who are not faculty members, raises never exceed 10%, even if you change jobs to a much more important one that usually pays much, much more. This is of course crazy, and does not apply to faculty. As is common in top-notch universities, most senior faculty members expect to be treated like gods (though there are of course wonderful, brilliant exceptions). But, to give you an example, a brilliant faculty member in a "numbers department" insisted that he do Skype interviews with prospective applicants using my laptop, so that I could make all the connections using my Skype address. He begged off my teaching him the simple software because he liked being catered to, and was resistant to learning new software when somebody else could do it for him.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the shameful 10% raise rule, and show some appreciation to those of us who support the faculty, whether it be in increased salaries, which would be the most ideal, or at least by communicating to faculty that the glaring Duke disparities between the PhD's and those with Master's degrees who support them should be somehow lessened. Another

11. Lifeguard

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and the ability to drop shifts as needed

Cons

Management is confusing at times, and the direction of the department seems up in the air on day to day things.