Duke University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. great company

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

lots of overtime. close knit co-workers. great benefits.

Cons

shift bids. tiring. super busy during the day.

Well funded top university

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feedback from a graduate student, instructor and lecturer in the humanities: this is a great place to be a graduate student from a career development perspective. Duke is a wealthy private university, so class sizes are small, typically c. 10-30 students in a humanities class. You get independent teaching experience very quickly: as a teaching assistant in your second and third years, and full responsibility for a small seminar (c. 10-15 students) in your fourth and fifth years. I also had the opportunity to teach two larger (c. 30 students) lecture type classes. The Graduate School also offers a Teaching Certificate, which requires you to take classes that are actually practical - teaching observation, portfolio and website development, etc. The stipend is generous given the relatively cheap living conditions in the area - you can have a normal life and an apartment of your own, or quite luxurious accommodations if you share. So it is possible to graduate with a PhD and no debt whatsoever if you manage your finances well.

Cons

Feedback from a graduate student, instructor and lecturer in the humanities: the Graduate School is not very good at communicating with grads on practical matters, such as parking, external funding, and funding for grad student fees and healthcare past your fifth year. You really have to think ahead and ask a lot of questions which should really be in an email newsletter somewhere sent to you regularly. Departments also have individual power over some of the graduation requirements, which may not be written down or set out explicitly and half the time the profs have no clue either. Also, certain Graduate School policies - such as on sexual assault and harassment - are a mess, it's not clear what the process is at graduate level. The Grad Student Govt is now working on this. Summary: there usually is a process, but the School is not very good about its communication, which means that if you're not careful, you might end up fire-fighting various issues later in your grad career. I've done a lot of this research on my own, and was continually surprised at how little other graduate students knew about various things - I can't even count the number of times that someone said, "wow, how do you know that? I didn't..."

Advice to Management

Communicate better and more clearly and more often about: available external funding early on, what happens to student funding and healthcare in sixth year and onwards, parking, sports & social & art events at grad level.

3. Excellent university

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

beautiful campus and four seasons

Cons

summer is too hot. This is the only thing I don't like.

5. Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and a good working relationship with students and professors make this a great role for any graduate student.

Cons

Sometimes the work will not be enough to fill your hours or your needs but you can always ask to take on extra jobs and get involved in the research.

6. Executive Director, Social Sector

Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Duke Divinity School I used management consulting skills to support efforts in hospice and post-war reconciliation. Fabulous worthy work at the top of many faith-based organizations. You learn a lot about why people act the way they do and what worthy goals are, and you get to hang out with people who have read many of the best ancient texts. The subject matter is inspirational and fascinating. I learned so much!

Cons

There is a naivety in top-tier universities about management. In my experience, it goes like this: "Because X is a prestigious university, and X hired me, I must be great at my supervisory role too though I have little management training, nor does my supervisor, and we do not have any role models for what a great manager does or looks like except for (fill in name of top sports coach like Coach K), who we invoke, but don't emulate." In this region, I have experienced this situation at UNC and at Duke. I love both the universities campuses and a lot of people on each campus. But this is a real problem leading to very painful public issues for both institutions that harm the institutions.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that few people are born managers and leaders. It's a craft. By respecting it and attending to its best practices, the Duke Divinity School can close the gap between espoused values and lived out values.

7. Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University

Pros

Wonderful work environment, great employees, excellent learning opportunities

Cons

Parking can be an issue

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. It is hard.

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

Good environment, good campus, good basketball.

Cons

It is hard, career opportunities bad.

Advice to Management

It is hard.

9. Great benefits, not-so-great salaries unless you are a faculty member or top administrator.

Current Employee - Program Administrator
    Current Employee - Program Administrator

I have been working at Duke University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Durham is a fun, forward-looking town, with a great selection of restaurants, and no traffic jams. The cost of living is quite low, which makes the low salaries at Duke go farther than one would initially think.

Cons

There is a basic rule at Duke that for those who are not faculty members, raises never exceed 10%, even if you change jobs to a much more important one that usually pays much, much more. This is of course crazy, and does not apply to faculty. As is common in top-notch universities, most senior faculty members expect to be treated like gods (though there are of course wonderful, brilliant exceptions). But, to give you an example, a brilliant faculty member in a "numbers department" insisted that he do Skype interviews with prospective applicants using my laptop, so that I could make all the connections using my Skype address. He begged off my teaching him the simple software because he liked being catered to, and was resistant to learning new software when somebody else could do it for him.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the shameful 10% raise rule, and show some appreciation to those of us who support the faculty, whether it be in increased salaries, which would be the most ideal, or at least by communicating to faculty that the glaring Duke disparities between the PhD's and those with Master's degrees who support them should be somehow lessened. Another

10. Good university

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

work-life balance is good, time-off policies are good

Cons

There are too few companies around campus.

11. Duke university is a large local employer and offers good benefits

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy commute, nice co-workers, good benefits

Cons

evil corporate overloards, spoiled students

Advice to Management

you should pay your graduate students more money

RSS Feed </> Embed