Dun & Bradstreet Reviews

Reset

1. Sr. Project Manager

Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Program Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give decent compensation and good benefits. The on site cafeterias are subsidized.

Cons

Risk averse culture. A lot of lifers that are more interested in protecting themselves than pushing things forward. Managers are often to busy to meet with those that work for them.

Advice to Management

Promote people to management that want to manage people, not just work hard themselves. My four bosses over my five years at D&B cancelled more meetings with me than they kept.

Business Development Representative

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

great culture and with the new board, they are modernizing the brand

Cons

the different departments seem to not work together very well, I was in the sales dept and the product team seemed reluctant to help

Advice to Management

Keep the forward looking approach.

Be Cautious

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

Competitive pay, team members committed to winning

Cons

Data quality issues not being addressed

5. I help keep all the hardware up and running.

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

Work culture is amazing, Working virtually on the beaches of Malibu, Perks are pretty damn awesome, and how many companies have scooters you can ride around the office?

Cons

Malibu pricing for meals, a little on the hard side to get to for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome job. Love working for thi company.

6. Sales Rep

Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

They offer insurance. Great place to pick up a chick.

Cons

hHgh school environment & call center meat market. they never want you to make the Commission they promised. They move you around from team to team just to be sure you can't make any money. They even want you to work on Saturday and Sunday and holidays!

Advice to Management

Fire all management and start over.

Started well but the culture and Engineering division quickly went downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Annual contribution by the company to 529 Education plan. Company contributes up to $2,500. 2. Flexible time off policy. You can take as many days off as required provided your Manager is ok with it. If you're sick but don't want to take the day off, you can work from home. Overall, pretty flexible. 3. Plenty to learn (this may no longer apply as the Engineering division has been restructured and has lost its independence, see cons). 4. Lots to learn if you are a Database Engineer. The design of the applications is such that everything is contained in the databases and the related control layer. 5. Team rotations. You could be hired as a Java Engineer or a PHP Engineer, but you have the option of spending a couple of sprints with other teams (Automation, DevOps etc.). A good learning experience. 6. A well thought of tech stack (it's coming apart though, see the cons). 7. Stable company outlook. The company makes a lot of money and has a solid growth chart. The probability of people losing jobs is low.

Cons

These cons are from an Engineering perspective - these may not apply to folks working in other divisions at Dun and Bradstreet: 1. Over the past few months (beginning late 2014), the Engineering team has lost its independence entirely. All decisions are handed down from Project Management, from as macro how many technical meetings can be conducted to as micro as the agenda and the duration of those meetings. 2. Power struggle between Engineering and Project Management. Both are constantly stepping on each others toes leading to widespread disenchantment and confusion. 3. The Databases team is run as a separate unit. Due to this, most of the application level logic is baked into the data layer (a bad design approach), and leaves the application Engineers limited avenues to contribute to design decisions. 4. A very high attrition rate. Due to the ongoing politics and project choices (WordPress development), nearly 30% of Engineers (from entry level to very senior, including managers) have parted ways with the company. 5. No room to grow if you are a Senior Engineer. 6. The compensation is about 40% less than the prevailing market wages. 7. Pager duty. They don't advertise this during the interview or on-boarding process but you will be expected to be on pager duty 24/7 when it's your turn in the rotation (for 2 weeks every couple of weeks). Every time New Relic generates an alert, you are expected to wake up in the middle of the night, and investigate what happened, why it happened and determine the proactive next steps, 8. Reporting to non-technical people. Traditionally, Engineers only like to report to Engineers. At this company, you will take orders (that change frequently) from a lot of non technical people as well. 9. They advertise the "Play Room", which has a ping pong and a pool table, but if an Engineer is playing, someone from Project Management will stop by and ask "Don't you have work to do?".

Advice to Management

Develop on the pros. Lose the cons.

Credit Advisor

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

The work hours are great.

Cons

There isn't any organizational structure at this location.

9. data inspired, relentlessly curious, inherently generous - a company living up to core values

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my 4 years at Dun and Bradstreet, the company has transformed. An experience that started for me as pushing boulders uphill at an old company has transformed into a modern culture that challenges my own perception of what is possible. Opportunities for internal promotion, and investment that has brought new perspective from the outside. Embraces modern technology. A culture that enables collaboration as opposed to political competition. An opportunity to work at a company that influences business relationships, and even the global economy. It's difficult to find this, and I am grateful that I accepted the challenge.

Cons

This depends on your perspective. Change can be a challenge, and while my first couple of years felts like we were taking steps backwards, we are now taking leaps forward. -Ambiguity in the trenches at times -Large scale change -You must be wiling to accept the challenge -Depending on your leader, you must be willing to stand up and make your way -Approach to comp is good, but not excellent -Some parts of the org have new leaders still making their own way -Other parts of the org have old leaders striving to hang on

Advice to Management

To the executives and even the board. Stay the course. What started in 2014 is absolutely transforming the company. I have experienced change and new leadership at other highly respected companies (Fortune 500). NEVER, have I seen so much dedication and excitement from the organization. I am eager to see the HBR articles and books written about this time.

Corporate Employee

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun activities that used to happen... massages once a month and happy hour in the office are still around

Cons

everyone that I like is leaving for more money and upper management seems clueless

Advice to Management

pay decent wages for good employees

11. Excited for the recent re-branding, however, data assets need to evolve with the times.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work/life balance is great and the new CEO and executives are driving many positive changes to the company. The brand is the crown jewel of the company and the re-branding will help increase awareness and understanding of what the company does. The company has finally built a long term strategy around partnerships which is refreshing to see. The company is making headway In terms of strategic direction of the "products" in focusing more on predictive analytics.

Cons

The challenges include receiving targets and commission plans well into the first quarter every year so it is extremely difficult to understand goals/objectives out of the gate on a new year. The health benefits keep getting worse each year (although that is a common theme across all companies) and the salaries are not always consistent across the company. The salaries don't always reflect the contributions of the individual or position within the company and need to be addressed. The data assets need to improve and management needs to stop thinking that the core assets are always the best in class.

Advice to Management

Love the changes in culture as well as strategic focus of the company. However, don't forget that the core data sources need to be updated and improved as well. Upper management preaches "outside-in" and the data organization really needs to take this to heart.

RSS Feed </> Embed