Dunbar Armored

www.dunbararmored.com

Dunbar Armored Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Kevin R. Dunbar

Pros
  • If you are one of the part time employees there (I'd say almost all are part time status) you can get full time hours for the most part(in 4 reviews)

• Some good people within the company(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay considering that you are placing your own safety at risk(in 11 reviews)

• No full timers, yet part timers work full time hours, thus avoiding employees the opportunity of benefits(in 4 reviews)

Decent enough for a low wage industry.

Driver/Guard (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe schedule is week by week (usually four days of about 10 hours) so they have been flexible if I need a certain day off and notify them in advance.
    Most co-workers are interested in doing their job efficiently and professionally (some not at all).
    Management/supervisors try to be helpful. They have all been on a truck, so they know what your job is.
    Employees are screened with a background check, polygraph, and physical, so the criminals are weeded out before hiring.

ConsThe armored truck business is a notoriously low wage industry.
    Equipment is generally in fairly poor condition, but that has been improving over the last couple of years.
    Opportunities for full-benefits status are few and far between. Most are part-time (about 40 hours, but no benefits).
    Opportunity for advancement is almost non-existent.
    Poor performers are tolerated, so you may be doing more than your share on the truck.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, branch management has to play by the corporate rules, so they have no control over working conditions, pay, or benefits. Again, this situation is industry-wide, not just at Dunbar.

Dunbar Armored

Armored Driver/Guard (Current Employee)

ProsGift cards, very flexible work schedule, not really strenuous work, time and half after 40hrs

Conslow pay (10.25 to start), management doesnt really care about employees, most people are part-time but working full-time.

Hahaha I laugh at any review over three stars. What lies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsSometimes little supervision
    Uniforms
    Plenty of hours

ConsPay makes no comparison to the negative impacts that could affect human life.

Too many hours yet they but they wont let anyone become a full time worker. Hard to acquire overtime work because of federal trucking laws. Repressive corporate ownership, management, and company policies. Training based on false gallantry most of the "training" material as others have said is outdated. Their videos and pictures training wise all date back to the ages of dinosaurs.

Ancient equipment and management practices. Equipment is so bad that shocks on half the trucks don't reduce any impact from pot holes, so enjoy living with a damaged back or ruptured kidneys. Add this to the beating your back will take from lifting monstrous amounts of coins daily. Inside the trucks an accumulation of dirt from years of never being cleaned seeps into clothing and skin. Many of the trucks are so rusted out that you can put your hand threw the holes. Wonder how those rust spots hold out against incoming fire??? Dunbar doesn't seem to contemplate such things.

Most managers rule by hand and fist rather than lead by example. The idea of coaching someone is not worth their time apparently. Most have the take it or leave it philosophy to anything. The ones that do care are to under the gun and busy addressing customer complaints to address any of the guards needs.

Scheduling and communication is atrocious, time off and work perks don't exists, employee moral is in the gutters, and its always been surprising there hasn't been a labor movement against Dunbar.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe we should get you a vacation for the amazing efforts you put into this company. Maybe going somewhere over Ukraine or the Pacific and we suggest you fly Malaysian Air Lines. Heck maybe we the guards will get lucky this way. Seems the only solution to our troubles.

I'm sorry forgive my cynicism its not like any of your guards or drivers have died for your millions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not that good of a place

ProsSteady work, outsiders think job is cool, shoddy benefits

ConsLong hours; dangerous - life threatening. Unprofessional branch managers. Work /life balance not considered. Extremely high employee turn over rate. Management will talk down to you like a dog. Opportunity to improve safety for personnel-ignored. Always undermanned due to low hourly pay and high turnover. Managers must fill in for the manning shortage. No overtime or bonus for most managers and certainly little to none for guards.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate poverty mentality. Become fair and professional to employees and customers. Start treating us with professional pay, training, and real safety standards- not the lip service ones you provide

Not an Advocate or Believer in Dunbar

Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsAs a mechanic you do get consistent full time hours and better pay than the guards or hoppers. It isn’t much more of a difference in pay so don’t jump for joy.

ConsOverworked and understaffed which is fine. What isn’t fine is how Dunbar will put off making repairs that are logical or help to keep people safe. They are outlandishly cheap when it comes to maintain their fleet. They will also put heavy pressure on you to repair something quickly (beyond reasonable or responsible time frame) just to get the vehicle back on the streets making the company money. Also because mechanics leave so often it means each vehicles repair set ups will be different. So if one mechanic didn’t care then you get to deal with the squirrel’s nest of wires he/she just threw into place, which becomes your mess to deal with. I will give Dunbar credit they do a better job than some other similar companies at replacing defective vehicles, but trying to get them to do so is like pulling someone’s teeth as a dentist while not giving the patient pain killers. To be completely honest just getting permission to buy new parts becomes that difficult to. Which between having managers pester the heck out of me to get vehicles on the roads at (all costs), and me trying to pester the heck out of managers to get the right parts quicker I became severely frustrated.
    Thankfully I was just using Dunbar as a stepping stone like everyone else, and I got a real job working for a real class logistics operation Fedex.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are not listening... my best words go to the other mechanics who are hard working, honest, and responsible individuals...

Don't waste away at Dunbar get a career working for a company that actually knows what they are doing. I can vouch for Fedex they also pay much higher. I have heard that Republic Waste and Waste Management are dangerous to work for but pay very well. I have heard that Ups pays well and respects their mechanics. To be very forward anywhere else probably respect their mechanics more. Run from any cash running company they do the worst.

Wouldn't wish this company on my worst enemy

Armored Driver/Guard (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsOnce you're out in a truck, you're on your own
    ts a job
    It pays (badly)
    You get to suck free air and occupy space for ungodly amounts of time

ConsHey Guess what Dunbar Picks up from ABORTION Clinics. Way to keep it classy Dunbar, drivers/guards......... (ENJOY)

Low pay for risking your life.
    Terrible training; mostly scare tactics.
    Management is only available when THEY need YOU.
    Management would rather keep their desk chairs warm than walk over and help you.
    Terrible morale.Terrible. Terrible. morale.
    Everyone is part time no full timers
    Extremely long hours, to the point where DOT rules are broken daily.
    Company-wide turnover is worse than Fast Food places; even Senior Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat Management? They're useless. I'd say they're also over-paid but I know how much they make.

Fantastic Place to Work At... if You are a Dunbar.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI and the people I work with were never aware there were any pro's. We did enjoy leaving base because we no longer had to deal with managers after that. This was always overshadowed by the dread of returning to base where a hot headed manager would be walking around fuming looking for someone to chew up.

ConsOne, my biggest grip was the disrespectful raises they give. Which don't account for inflation or experience.
    Two, the overall pay is nasty and doesn't account for the risk or physical nature of the job
    Three, bad equipment and work environments
    Four, always felt bad for new guys because Dunbar's training is horrendously lacking
    Five, no appreciation for a job well done or being on time
    Six, poor scheduling if any
    Seven, always being or feeling like my rear was swinging in the air with no protection or safety
    Eight, all the policies and safety procedures are nothing but "smoke and mirrors.' There is no concern over Guard/Driver safety.
    Nine, "leadership", such as the CEO and VP's are completely against the Guard/Driver and destructive to their character and performance.
    Ten, a revolving door that revolves so much the door might fall off, and the majority of the time the door will hit you on the way out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDunbar is a great place to start a career.... only if you are a Dunbar related to the owners family. Other than that welcome to the BOTTOM.

By far the worst organization I have ever been a part of in over ten years of work history.

Watch Your Back

Armored Driver/Guard (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsWeekly pay, break room with decent commodities, uniforms and vests, and weekly pay.

ConsWatch your back or practice C.Y.A. everyday. Pay is very low considering you could get shot in the back by co-workers, criminals, customers, or anyone in general; in addition, to this you could be stabbed in the back by co-workers seeking promotions or who are vindictive. This includes managers who to cover their rear will stab you multiple times in the back. No one who is a driver or a hopper is immune and Dunbar doesn't care about it's small time employees at all. They will fire you for anything, because in their mind no matter how much experience you have. YOU ARE REPLACEABLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reading these reviews more and taking them seriously. This company like all armored car companies are degrading, assultive, and combative to their staff.

Don't Get Killed For "Them"

Armored Driver/Guard (Current Employee) Clinton, NC

ProsAble to work with schedule if you give more than two weeks notice, uniforms, paid vests-Should be an industry standard, weekly pay, interesting experience maybe for three months after that its boring, plenty of interesting stories are told, and they will HIRE ANYONE which is kinda scary to me.

ConsPay is bad which is weird when you sit on top of a ton of cash while working and think about it. Its almost like the company is inciting you to steal from them.They hire anyone meaning you could work with a low life who will steal (Happens A LOT), lose money, or shoot you for the money (it happens). Things break often here and are not fixed for years. Managers are managers not leaders and are not very skilled people-some are okay though like the branch managers that is it though.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management? seriously you should be smart enough to see whats going on.

Boys and girls wanting to work for Dunbar, you'r life isn't worth it at all.

Steady income

Armored Driver/Guard (Former Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsCompensation for good work ... Good starting position

ConsDangerous and long work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Dunbar Armored? Contribute to the Community!