Dunbar Armored

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.0

Kevin R. Dunbar

Pros
  • Outside doing work, flexible schedule, some co workers are cool (in 5 reviews)

• Some good people within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay considering that you are placing your own safety at risk (in 16 reviews)

• Eighth, everyone is hired on as a part time worker but will work more hours than full time (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a place to stay long term.

I have been working at Dunbar Armored

Pros

The fellow guards and the over all job aren't bad.

Cons

Money Money Money our pay isn't what it should be.

Raise the pay

Only good for entry level or part time

Current Employee - Driver/Guard in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Driver/Guard in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Dunbar Armored part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nothing else

Cons

Long hours, little pay, lots of call outs, nowhere to advance, working in all types of weather, bad benefits, trucks aren't reliable

Higher hourly pay or bigger raises

Worked in Baltimore and White Marsh, MD. Not bad. Room to get promoted depending where you work, and if someone above you wishes to give you a chance. Not a horrible place to work. Had better, had worse.

Former Employee - Driver/Guard, Supervisor in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - Driver/Guard, Supervisor in White Marsh, MD

I worked at Dunbar Armored full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers. I enjoyed the learning experience.

Cons

Micromanagement from superiors. Lack of training for employees. Substandard pay in comparison to other similar employers in industry.

Catch up with the times. Pay your employees a decent wage for the work they do, and the responsibility they have. Teach your management throughout the company to train new employees properly at all locations. Management cares about one thing across your organization- "the bottom line"- not hiring the best employees, not allowing your great employees to move up, cut the bs with the "good ole' boy" system. Understand that people make mistakes, we are human and not numbers. Quit firing good employees because of a mistake made, or because the management does not want them due to the "what have you done for me lately" attitude within your organization. Start worrying more about the morale of your employees company wide, not just the money your company makes - you should go on "Undercover Boss" to find out how employees across your company really feel about the way the company is operated, and how neglected and unimportant they feel from management- you may wake up after that -

Never had a negative experience at Dunbar.

Former Employee - ATM Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - ATM Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dunbar Armored full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience for people in security. You get to do some cool things that not everyone can say they have done or seen. Decent room for advancement if you stick it out.

Cons

There is little separation between family time and work time. Unless you have a little tenure, you'll likely to get scheduled erratically. Could have been paid a little more for such a dangerous job.

Listen to your employee's more, they are the ones out on route doing the job everyday, not sitting behind a desk with the blinders on.

Dunbar is an avalanche of frustration

Current Employee - Armed Driver Guard in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Armed Driver Guard in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Dunbar Armored part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It really is just a job until a better one comes along.

Not under constant scrutiny when out on routes.

Carry a firearm.

Cons

There are an infinite supply of negatives at Dunbar. Bad pay, no pay raises, atrocious leadership, bad training, unjustifiable policies and procedures, rules made up on a whim, mass punishment, atm techs have increased job hazards-people get shot or assaulted often, job hazards overall are high, chaotic scheduling, benefits package is to pricey, not staffed properly, equipment and facilities decrepit, and better employment exists everywhere which is why no one stays long.

The worst part about working at Dunbar is the fact that these negative comments get brought up everyday to our so called leaders; yet, all they chose to do is ignore them.

Start addressing issues others have listed on this site. Stop looking at this site as a place only unqualified, under educated, and angry useless ex employees go to vent about your company, because there are good people I work with who have come here as a means of expressing the truth (since it can't be done at our branches for fear of retaliation). The things brought up here are serious issues and affect not just the bottom line but the people who have no choice but to stay at Dunbar.

Not what you expect it to be

Current Employee - Driver/Guard Shift Supervisor in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Driver/Guard Shift Supervisor in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Dunbar Armored full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best positive beyond any other isn't really due to Dunbar per say. It is due to the nature of the job, which is being out on route with little supervision over your shoulder. Minus the Dunbar surveillance vans that are used to spy on you (not to protect you). In addition, it is nice when we pick up from strip clubs, tilted kilts, hooters, or places with attractive people.
    It’s a good way to pay off a couple bills and save a little money it just won’t be much.Some branch managers are willing to work around your schedule if you’re a part timer in school.You get a bullet resistant vest reimbursement check after you put up the money for one. This is capped off at 800 and paid out in small pieces over the course of time during your emplacement; therefore, you do not get the full amount paid back instantly. So having the vest is great, but it’s bad that. Dunbar doesn't pay the full amount back.Uniforms and trucks look nice but not all the trucks are as they seem on the outside.

Cons

Company does not live up to its - so called- values or approaches. Much of what is said from above is ignored venomously from guards and drivers. Training stinks or isn't there. On the inside all trucks are disgusting. Many have new bodies but frames and engines from the time long ago. Company package scanners are hand-me-downs from Fedex. That’s what Dunbar considers “Innovated technologies so funny I'm rolling on the ground considering their use of this as a SALES tactic." Company doesn't allow you to purchase any vest or weapon you’re heart desires. No handguns with hammers or manual safeties and no military grade bullet proof anything. Another issue for me is the fact that Dunbar doesn't have the kahunas to issue its guards with shotguns or larger crews. Most crews are two man- one driver and one hopper; thus, putting the advantages to the criminals who rob and kill us. The largest issue is the fact that Dunbar doesn’t pay its people well, and this has created a big drag on moral and our talent pool. Not only will you be made to risk your skin for pennies on the dollar, but the majority of your partners will be newbiez. Having new hires on your route brings about serious issues. They make mistakes which will be yours to fix. They bring the route in behind schedule. Some have personal issues that become yours to deal with. Some don’t know how to hold themselves, and make you look stupid in the eyes of our clients. I’m not saying all are this way or that they can’t learn. I am say that dealing with it day in and day out because Dunbar doesn’t value having any employees with tenure is frustrating. This coupled with low pay is becomes a highly mismanaged issue to those of us who consider ourselves professionals. Did I mention the pay was low, the risk high, and pay raises almost so low it’s a slap to the face? Dunbar will give you a .15-.20 cent raise a year. That is if you make it that long. They have a tendency to fire anyone no matter how trivial the issue an employee is involved in, which isn’t fair because the managers make mistakes that affect more people than we drivers or guards do and they never get fired or written up. It is a big negative to me that Dunbar has no moral issues with picking up from abortion clinics. Promotions do exist but are usually capped at a branch manager level or support staffer level.

Stop living in the 1920's and embrace new ideologies.
    Support better pay for you'r people since they dye up holding you'r better quality of life.
    Support quarterly training, proper staffing, and bring about changes to keep and sustain veteran employees.
    Stop neglecting armored logistics for you'r support of other security concepts or markets which will eventually phase out or be shipped to some country over seas.
    Stop the harassment, gender discrimination, and racism I see so freely expressed at all branches. Many of our customers are differing genders, races, and religions they would be shocked to hear what is said about them at our branch locations.

You have got to put your foot down on picking up from abortion clinics. It is a high risk and disgusting to your staff members.

Currently Dunbar has little to offer its guards or drivers. We see through your phoniness speeches and propagandize actions. Real actions that have hope to offer us are listed above. I beg you for your serious consideration on making these changes.

Driver/Guard

I have been working at Dunbar Armored

Pros

Flexible hours, good for while attending school. Not a career. There is a room in growth but will not make much difference in pay. Job is very dangerous.

Cons

Low pay. No constant schedule. Most of people that work here are not full time. So they make sure you don't make more than 40 hours. a lot of people have to work on weekends even on Sunday.

ok to work for

Current Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dunbar Armored full-time (more than an year)

Pros

steady work, benefits.

Cons

not enough training and not enough good equipment

a good part time job for a college student or retired personal

Former Employee - Teller in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Teller in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Dunbar Armored part-time (more than an year)

Pros

don't offer a salary good enough to sustain a family

Cons

flexible hours , teach you skills applicable in banking , good training , possibility of advancement

Once Solid Company Now a Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Dunbar Armored full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good, capable people who know how to do their jobs in every department of the company, including at Headquarters. Smart managers in the field who know how to run their branches and provide answers to any question you give them.

Cons

Old School Management that pretends it is still the 20th Century. A lot of favoritism in who gets promoted. A good ole’ boys network in which everyone else, especially women and minorities, are expendable. Low wages with a rigid corporate culture that can inhibit lower-level employees from bringing forth good ideas that can help the company. The Executive Board is all white and almost all-male. CEO Kevin Dunbar would rather treat the family business as a piggy bank from which he can make campaign donations to right-wing politicians instead of giving his employees pay raises. He treats other people as pawns in pursuit of higher profits. He does not share with others his vision and plans for the company and does not take feedback or criticism very well. Accusations of racism have been made by several reviewers here and elsewhere are believable as several important employees have expressed racist sentiments through various means. All ignored by the Dunbars. If the NAACP ever found out about this company, they would push for a nationwide boycott of this company and demand that the Dunbars sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Give your hard-working employees the raises they deserve. Care about the morale of your employees. Listen to their ideas. Have employees undergo sensitivity training to stop racism and sexism. Stop the political donations immediately and never do it again.

Dunbar Armored Photos