Dunelm

Dunelm Chief Executive Nick Wharton
Nick Wharton

Team Leader, N ireland

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Every day poses a new challenge, challenging but rewarding.

Cons

Not enough time for customer, too much paperwork

Encourage positivity. We are all under pressure.

SM

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Autonomy, mastery, purpose. Family business.

Cons

None, none, none, none, none.

None

Great team at head office

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Brilliant people, flexible, relaxed environment, helpful line managers.

Cons

Salary is a little low.

Do not think about their people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm

Pros

Co workers / product / Training for Head Office Staff

Cons

Salary not competitive/No acknowledgment for the work done/Lack of social moral/ Poor staff incestives and poor staff discount

Invest in people from the top and say hello to your employees when you walk by and not just go into your office!!! we work for you the least you can do is say hello

Company

Current Employee - Team Leader in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Good people good product was a great company

Cons

To many task never can complete before being put on to the next no time to spend with the customer

Give more time and people to get the job done may be out of hours stock replen team

Life At Dunelm

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work, really have family values

Cons

none everything is brilliant i enjoy my job

keep going, great job

Unfair at times but on the whole, a nice environment

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good training in various areas of retail and opportunity to meet new people and learn a range of social skills.

Cons

Sometimes the top of the hierarchy aren't understanding to personal issues or pretend they weren't made aware of problems or plans.

Attempt to gain a more in depth and personal relationship to all staff to understand how to get the best out of them.

overall not a bad company to work for

Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Stafford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Stafford, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

in my store we have a great management team, and we are all friendly. the 15% staff discount is nice too

Cons

not everyone gets the amount of hours per week they need, feel a bit stretched staff wise

hire more staff. more staff = happier customers which means more profits for you

Stressful but rewarding (mostly)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career progression
    Management Style
    Ability to manage your own team without interfering

Cons

Short staffed always
    having to constantly save money
    volume of work
    unsocial hours

Invest more in attracting the right candidates to the mangerial roles instead of getting the people who are cheapest because they always leave.

Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

Cons

If your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Close every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

Dunelm Photos

Dunelm Mill and fenced-off Worcester Cross, Kidderminster (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Truro : Dunelm Mill, Kidderminster (Photo thanks to Geograph user Lewis Clarke, Some Rights Reserved)
Dunelm Loading Bay (Photo thanks to Geograph user Gordon Griffiths, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo