Dunelm

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Dunelm Chief Executive Nick Wharton

Nick Wharton

There ok i guess....

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Huntingdon, England (UK)

ProsThey're very good with my hours, as i currently work 2 jobs, they were kind enough to fit me in around my other job.

ConsThere is never enough people to cover busy weekend shifts, the tills are about 20 years old and need updating, the store isn't air conditioned properly. Very limited hours available, you tend to have to be either 'friends' with the managers or beg to get any sort of extra hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage your shops better, employ more staff

overall not a bad company to work for

Shop Assistant (Current Employee) Stafford, England (UK)

Prosin my store we have a great management team, and we are all friendly. the 15% staff discount is nice too

Consnot everyone gets the amount of hours per week they need, feel a bit stretched staff wise

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff. more staff = happier customers which means more profits for you

Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!

Customer Service (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsNONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

ConsIf your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Advice to Senior ManagementClose every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You need to listen to the staff more.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsStaff discount is good and most staff all work well together.

ConsHR consistently ignore serious issues with management. If you're not a favourite, you're done for. Staff stretched too far and never listened too.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your in store staff more, we know what we are doing and can help, we deal with customers ALL DAY.

Stressful but rewarding (mostly)

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)

ProsCareer progression
    Management Style
    Ability to manage your own team without interfering

ConsShort staffed always
    having to constantly save money
    volume of work
    unsocial hours

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in attracting the right candidates to the mangerial roles instead of getting the people who are cheapest because they always leave.

Are you a favourite?

Prosthey really do try and fit your shifts around your life, as a student my timetable changes every few months and i occasionally get random lectures on my days off and they do understand and swap my days in without hassle.

Consthe managers have favourites, if they dont like you, you get the worst/least amount of hours in a shift, you get the crappy jobs and if you accidentally do something wrong- even something minor they make a massive deal out of it and really talk down to you like you're an idiot.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat everybody equal, even if you dont personally like them but they are a good worker, dont talk to them like theyre an idiot if they do something wrong by accident.

Best company I have worked for with different challenges everyday

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work life combined with home life having every other weekend allowed me to have a family life with my wife and kids for once working within the retail environment great rate of pay and also a great background for advancement within the company , with lots of training available for all to improve there managing skills and retail skills

Conssign in and sign out system a bit out of date lots of better ways and up to date ways of controlling staff clocking in and out of work.

Friendly and co-operative

Customer Service (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsReally good pay for my age compared to my friends with other jobs, very calm environment - not too busy and you don't have to rush in what you're doing, all staff are friendly and very helpful, always make time for you if you're stuck. Very flexible on shifts. Can have a break when it suits you.

ConsYou don't get any structured training - you have to pick it up as you go along which leads to a lot of mistakes and then feeling as if you've done wrong when you didn't even know in the first place. If you want a manager to sort something out for you, you have to remind and mither them a lot to get it sorted.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake proper training booklets and fully trained people to train people on tills which follow exact structures so that it minimises mistakes. Maybe a handbook for new employees that they can read through before they start at Dunelm and can have it with them while they're working. Days when it's one-on-one training, especially people on tills, so they they know the exact process to follow as mistakes can be made very easily.

birlliant at times, awful at others

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Cheltenham, England (UK)

Prosthe friendly nature of the taff was incredible to work with

Conspoor pay, no trust in staff. management need more training.

Advice to Senior Managementit feels like members of staff are not trusted what so ever, and they are constantly being looked after/over. if you want your staff to work well, then they need to know they are appreciated/trusted.

Great stores, great products but not enough staff.

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) Inverness, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood training program, a high level of customer service is encouraged, as are in store charity events which can help bring teamwork and fun to the work place.

ConsNot always well managed. When a complaint is made about staff or management it is rarely dealt with, or in fact, taken seriously. There is never enough staff. The training program is not used enough and there's not enough opportunity for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for managers on how to deal with staff complaints and how to chose good team leaders.

Worked for Dunelm? Contribute to the Community!