Dunelm Reviews

Dunelm Chief Executive Officer Will Adderley
Will Adderley
1 Rating

1. Full Time Employee

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expanding company with potential , various stores in good locations ,pleasant shopping enviroment with good customer interaction. Great colleagues with a real passion for Dunelm.

Cons

Poor management structure and low salaries for junior managers , hap hazard communication and process . To much task and inappropriate training and support .

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, respect all staff no matter what level. Management should spend more time with their staff instead of creating a perfect illusion for store visits /promotions . Senior management need to wise up to the absolute shambles their superstores are . Increase salaries for your loyal staff and abolish your graduate scheme... it's a joke.

2. Not great

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm

Pros

The people you work with are amazing and so supportive. You get great deals when the sales are on.

Cons

Dunelm mill is a horrible company to work for. You are just a number to them.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive and understanding. Be on the shop floor more instead of drinking cups of tea/coffee in your office while the "slaves" do the work.

Consultant

Current Employee - Home Consultant
    Current Employee - Home Consultant

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

'Some' colleagues are helpful and positive

Cons

Sexist bullying middle management. No effective training or after support. No home life, expectancy to do essentially two jobs daily. No recognition for successful completion of work. You are expected to jump through hoops and juggle customers, managers, colleagues, workshop and exterior manufacturers. Should anything go wrong there is no support. Fitters who are lazy and have poor skills. Poor quality work to customers which renders you speechless and at best embarrassed. The general consensus visa vie customers? They are mostly liars who are intent on getting compensation. These poor liars are lied to in return by management. There are some good eggs here but they are rare and tend to be sought after by those in the know. The majority are looking to cover their own backs to the detriment of yourself and others. I find the attitude of the company is a good one 'on paper' the reality of this is far from good. I feel most of those in position of management are poorly educated and should not be given the job of representing this company. That's retail for you!! I Can tell you it is by far the worse job I've had the misfortune of finding. High turn over of staff, let's assume they all feel as disillusioned as I do. Find yourself something else having read the numerous reviews negating this company. Not one member of staff had one positive point to relay to me and the customer feedback is a similar reflection to staff.

Advice to Management

Invest in those with people skills and a positive attitude. Cut the bully's. Ask staff for anonymous feedback on a regular basis. Most live in fear of losing their jobs so put up with some ridiculous egos from managers of no substance.

"Live to work" should be Dunelms motto....

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

Great colleagues and staff discount

Cons

Constant sale periods, repetitive mind numbing jobs, too much pointless paperwork.
    I could write a novel about working at Dunelm, they constantly bring in new initiatives that last all of six months, and then someone stuck in an office somewhere who has never actually worked on the shopfloor has another brightspark idea and the actual workers are left to get on with it, till their next lightbulb moment happens.
    Staff morale has been quite low for a while, last year alone we had about ten members of staff leave, a few of which just walked out never to return. What does that tell you about working for Dunelm, I wonder?
    If you are looking for a part time job that you can leave behind at home time, don't apply for a job here. At their many sale times you are expected to be there at all hours of the day and night for sale set up, and they don't ask, they just rota you in whether you want extra hours or not. God forbid that you have a life or responsibilities outside work, forget it. Pay rate is only just above NMW too, nowhere near as good as Tesco or similar. Their tills are ancient too.

Advice to Management

Better communication with your staff, ask, don't assume.

modern day slavery

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

going home at the end of my shift, at the moment there are not many new jobs available, but new businesses are opening in the next 12 months, and 99.9% of staff waiting to apply, and leave.

Cons

for sales assistant, read donkey, spend a lot of time moving very heavy items, hand book recomendations are ignored by management, bullying manager, many complaints made by staff nothing done. greedy area managers who only have an interest in bonus, Dckens like attitude towards staff. Bad reputation at Job Centre.. breaks not taken as work would not be done, unrealistic amount of tasks, wages are a disgrace,extremely high staff turn over,

Advice to Management

you are as good as you 'floor' staff, and they leave in droves,as soon as other businesses move into the area, you will have no staff at all. Wages are a disgrace, consider living wage and not this very low hourly rate, STOP managers favorite staff getting extra hours, bonus system needs sorting, colleagues are not given hours because managers want their bonus, then work not done, and staff that are there are under stress, its a very unhappy place to work, Dunelm Acadamy is a complete joke, no training given to staff..... but lets tick the boxes eh?

7. Nice to work with general staff, but needs new management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice customers, nice employees who aren't managers.

Cons

Management are useless, asked for opportunities but wasn't listened to, they don't care about their employees. Not enough hours.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Sort out the rotas. Either get more staff or give current employees more hours. Tell us when things are changing in advance.

8. Was great going down a profit over people path

Former Employee - Team Leader in Rustington, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Rustington, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great staff great range of products easy to sell happy customers

Cons

Task to high no time for customers no respect for staff no work home life balance pay to low lost its family run feel .

Advice to Management

Get back the family run feel pay staff ie team leaders / management a proper competitive rate of pay more flexibility on wages longer to do task or don't put campain on top of each other etc I was 8 years with the company when I had had enough no one asked why I left . A conversation should of Been had !

9. Team Leader, N ireland

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Every day poses a new challenge, challenging but rewarding.

Cons

Not enough time for customer, too much paperwork

Advice to Management

Encourage positivity. We are all under pressure.

What you apply for and what you end up doing is different

Former Employee - Home Consultant in Dartford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Consultant in Dartford, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had an interview for a job visiting people at home to buy soft furnishings

Cons

Weird offer of pence per mile on fuel, could not fit samples into car, Laptop hard to work, their staff hate them!

Advice to Management

Dunelm on the face looks a good company but it's all about the money even if it's your Employees...I started a job 22Hrs a week now they want 40-50Hrs which i might not get paid for

11. A company who wants blood from their staff

I have been working at Dunelm

Pros

Good discount and great products

Cons

Too many tasks and not enough staff . Overloaded warehouses due to poor stock control from upper management.

Advice to Management

You need to be more generous with your payroll as every member of staff including management are totally stressed out with the extreme pressures of completing an impossible amount of tasks with little resources.

RSS Feed </> Embed