Dunelm

Dunelm Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Dunelm Chief Executive Nick Wharton

Nick Wharton

Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!

Customer Service (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsNONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

ConsIf your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Advice to Senior ManagementClose every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

Glad i left.

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Telford, England (UK)

Prosthe people i worked with were lovely and i loved going to work because of the friendly atmosphere

Consthe managers. When i say this i am serious, 2 of the managers i worked for were nasty. the other 2 were brilliant. The managers that were horrible, you almost had to be part of a clicky group to 'fit in', it was a vile place to work because of them and im not afraid to say i left because of them. Many other people left aswell so it wasnt just me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding, even though your a manager and your doing well for yourself, we are all human and not machines. Be more open and let people know where they stand with you, dont let them just guess from day to day.

(this does not apply to all managers, there are brilliant managers out there who work for dunelm, this is just my own personal bad expirience with two managers)

detestable

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Colchester, England (UK)

Prospros: lets see, their basic rate of pay though variable from store to store is higher than most basic retail jobs. Dunelm Mill Helpline always gave good advice and were easy to get through to and talk to. Excellent fire/ emergency training videos.

ConsNo information advertised in house about training programmes available. Many staff are never trained properly or correctly trained, especially concerning anything above the bare minimum of how to use a till or the handsets (HTTCs) The fabric and custom made departments severely lacked training. Even calling stores in my area didn't help as they hadn't been trained either and this is after talking to as many staff as possible at each store. Very little COSHH training, what there was was never done often enough. The schemes set to encourage employees to be the best they can be, do not often work as well as they could because its not large enough to make anyone think its attainable. I am a previous winner of several of those awards but can see how other colleagues and stores get frustrated that there is not enough motivation on a person level to encourage colleagues to attempt to win. Despite having even won awards personally and being a large part of making the departmental awards achievable, myself and many other colleagues always felt there was never any support or sense of pride from our various managers and store managers over the years. Any congratulations given were always given in a manner that made our achievements feel unimportant and barely noticed. Having a lack of personal drive is extremely detrimental to the employee and employer alike. Every store has a disproportionately limited numbers of staff compared to other retail stores. Many times many stores are permanently below the staffing standards set by Dunelm Mill. Personally i was on a 16 hour contract for three years and rarely worked below 25, this is often because i was rota'd in for extra hours even when i had asked not to be. On the many occasions i had serious complaints they weren't dealt with properly nor given a fair chance to explain my point of view. I was often victimised.

Advice to Senior ManagementI met many managers over my three years and very few of them had time for the personal cares of employees. a simple "good morning!" or "how are you?" every now and then, and then genuinely listening for the response, can do wonders for in house relationships working much more efficiently. Try to find a compliment to say to each employee over a month. even if its something really simple: "you've tidied that department really well, well done!" "you handled that difficult customer in a really positive professional way thats exactly what i like to see!" or even "nice tie!" if you have to reprimand a colleague over a small thing keep it to one minute and explain why what they were doing is detrimental and how it then makes you personally feel. this will encourage others to care about what you think, have respect for what you think and the person you've spoken to will be self-motivated to impress. If all managers from the CEO to the departmental managers are given basic retail psychology training such as this your business will improve.
    Advertise training schemes! the higher trained your staff are, then the efficiency of their work will improve. If one store has fantastic morale and another store nearby has very low morale, get the two stores to interact as much as possible, it will help.
    Get everyone interested in how the other areas of the company works, explain about what he average day at our main warehouses are like, a day in the cutting room, a day on the shop floor, a day at the helpline. get employees to write what its like in different areas and use a variety of those to explain what makes people that work there enjoy it. give everyone the chance to apply to see these things first hand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor.

Floor Staff (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsUnfortunately the main "Pro" that i can think of is that the work is easy and there is little pressure from the management to get more out of you and your employees. The hourly rate is very good for a store of this type and the ease of day to day life there. Also, as it is a reputable company it does look very good on someones C.V. which allows moving on easily.

ConsNo prospect of promotion, almost always hire from outside the company instead of promotion.
    The training is minimal, i personally have been there for 4 years, and have never been trained in ANYTHING other than how to use the tills. For example, checking stock, putting stock out etc.
    Staff brought in do not seem to know anything about the products that they are selling on their departments.
    Little job rotation, which leads to very low motivation to do my job well as i have nothing to work/strive for, as i will still be stood behind a till.
    Management are very rude, clear divide between the treatment on part-time staff to full-time staff. Management are also the first to complain when it comes to helping you with a customer or facing a customer at all, for example ignoring a ringing phone, sorting out a complaint. This puts less well trained individuals in CS in a bad spot when facing a customer.
    Takes months to sort out holiday bookings, and when asked i am faced with complaints about asking for time off, of which i am entitled. No real benefits from working for the store at all.
    Bad atmosphere while working, everyone seems to grind on each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort yourselves out.

Worst employment experience ever

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGood product, decent staff discount, really really struggling here to get to 20 word minimum to be honest, that's just right

Consat any level within this organisation you are treated as a glorified shelf stacker. You are given no opportunity to develop sales or customer relationships. You are treated with distrust at every turn and are not given credible commercial information to react to. You are held accountable for things outside of your control. Very political organisation and a "face fits" environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the way external people are welcomed and treated in the group. Actually credit people with intelligence to make decisions.

over pressured, unfair treatment and management are bullies, even to other managers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torquay, England (UK)

ProsGreat colleagues and staff discount. Work is always busy and generally stays busy or at least a steady pace throughout the store.

ConsYou have to do 3 times your amount of work due to lack of staff or incompetent staff, for deadlines which are completely unrealistic. Bullies for management that don't follow appropriate measures and if you report higher there is no anonymity as you are exposed to those you are reporting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better staff for your so called management team, so the rest of your stores function better. Our store always runs better when the sore manager isn't there. He is a bully and always applies far too much pressure creating a bad atmosphere. More staff, instaed of trying to make money by over stretching staff. give us more staff to help and the loads will be easier and more manageable clearing warehouses form stock. Several people from my store alone have had stress disorder meaning they are off for months at a time because of the current management. Ignoring problems wont solve any issues.

Not very well Organised

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Cheltenham, England (UK)

ProsDiscount, good team of Colleagues, can be quite flexible in terms of working hours

ConsNo contracts given, rota only available less than a week in advance, policies not adhered to, rota'd in without being consulted

Advice to Senior Managementimprove holiday processes, provide copies of staff contracts or at least show them what is in their supposed contract, provide collegue handbook. Work rotas further in advance, policies need improving and adhering to

upper management make stupid decisions for shop floor, we run around like headless chickens

Team Leader (Former Employee) Truro, England (UK)

Prosdiscount, great people to work with

ConsRota only available 7 days (maximum) in advance
    poor pay
    no additional pay for working nights
    upper management have no idea how the shop floor is run - at all

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have rotas available at least a month in advance so that people are able to plan things in their own life, the rotas should be negotiable to a certain extent - people will try and be flexible if you are
    Upper management decisions are not thought through ie how can you keep the shelves stocked if we are not allowed in the stock room during the day

Not the best work experience

(Former Employee)

ProsMost staff were quite pleasant to work with.
    On-site senior staff did do a good amount of work and weren't simply sitting down in the background somewhere.

Cons* low wage compared to similar positions
    * boring place to work
    *staff discount is very low compared to other large chain stores in the UK.
    * consistenly having to leave 15-20mins after the shift was offically over
    * a 5 days of training at a hotel that lated about 4 hours each day. not much was learnt here and it seems more like a time to hand out printed documents and phamlets about some key products that would be sold. this could have been achieved in 1 day. meanwhile, real on-site training before the launch of the new store wasn't given as much importance.
    * high staff turn over
    *bringing in managers from others stores to help for a short period of time. as these people were only onsite for a few days, they were often quite impersonal and this caused a needlessly uncomfortable working environment.
    * senior managment were not that great at boasting morale

Advice to Senior Management* My finishing time was 6pm. However, I was often told to do extra tasks that would take 15-20mins more and would inevitably wind up leaving later. I was not asked if I could do over-time - I was commanded to do so and it was presumed I could do this. I believe it is more courteous and fair to ask if an employee is willing to work overtime. It feels much more like an unpleasant confrontation when you declined overtime than when you state you are not going to do X task what you were requested because you need to head home.

* Senior management didn’t seem to hand out praise evenly. It appeared popular members of staff who enjoyed a closer relationship with seniors than other employees had their achievements publically praised the most. Meanwhile, I noted workers who consistently provided good service, were friendly with other staff, showed up to work on time and often went above and beyond their roles did not really get the praised as should have been. Overall, praising staff members wasn’t done often though. I believe a staff of the week scheme where both senior and non-senior staff could vote from select nominees or something of the kind would have been a fair and very beneficial system. In a job where:

1) you do not work on commission

2) do not have any creative input

3) there are no performance-based bonuses

4) you are essentially not making that much money but making those in higher managerial positions and executive positions quite a bit richer through your hard work at selling a customer an item and/or providing a friendly service to partially ensure their return...

praising customers and providing incentives is even more essential. Not many non-senior employees are very motivated by the sheer fact that products need to sell to do their job to a consistently high level every single day (or the majority of days that they work). When you go into a shop and the assistants are gathered in a group talked and ignoring customers or not being attentive etc, it is not beyond the realms of the reality to believe that they are also somewhat disillusioned with the fact they are in job that doesn’t offer much satisfaction yet due to lack of incentives/recognition or higher wage they are not compensated for this.

* The searching of bags and coats/jackets after the end of work to check for stolen property. Whilst I was not completely opposed to this as I didn't have anything to hide, I did consider it unfair that those in senior/managerial positions were not searched along with us. It sent out a message that those not in senior roles could be viewed as potential suspects/thieves but management were seemingly presumed above stealing. Everyone should have been checked or no one at all.

* When I worked there was really high staff turnover rate. I believe that could partly be down to expecting workers to deliver a high standard of customer care and output yet work for a salary that's not entirely competitive. After a short time, it can get difficult to stay in a job that is quite physical, requires you to be on your feet all day and treat customers very well when you aren’t being compensated for it that well. I’m also sure the three previous points mentioned contributed to feelings of low-morale amongst those who walked too.

There ok i guess....

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Huntingdon, England (UK)

ProsThey're very good with my hours, as i currently work 2 jobs, they were kind enough to fit me in around my other job.

ConsThere is never enough people to cover busy weekend shifts, the tills are about 20 years old and need updating, the store isn't air conditioned properly. Very limited hours available, you tend to have to be either 'friends' with the managers or beg to get any sort of extra hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage your shops better, employ more staff

Worked for Dunelm? Contribute to the Community!