Dunelm

Dunelm Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Dunelm Chief Executive Nick Wharton

Nick Wharton

Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!

Customer Service (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsNONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

ConsIf your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Advice to Senior ManagementClose every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

There ok i guess....

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Huntingdon, England (UK)

ProsThey're very good with my hours, as i currently work 2 jobs, they were kind enough to fit me in around my other job.

ConsThere is never enough people to cover busy weekend shifts, the tills are about 20 years old and need updating, the store isn't air conditioned properly. Very limited hours available, you tend to have to be either 'friends' with the managers or beg to get any sort of extra hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage your shops better, employ more staff

overall not a bad company to work for

Shop Assistant (Current Employee) Stafford, England (UK)

Prosin my store we have a great management team, and we are all friendly. the 15% staff discount is nice too

Consnot everyone gets the amount of hours per week they need, feel a bit stretched staff wise

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff. more staff = happier customers which means more profits for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad i left.

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Telford, England (UK)

Prosthe people i worked with were lovely and i loved going to work because of the friendly atmosphere

Consthe managers. When i say this i am serious, 2 of the managers i worked for were nasty. the other 2 were brilliant. The managers that were horrible, you almost had to be part of a clicky group to 'fit in', it was a vile place to work because of them and im not afraid to say i left because of them. Many other people left aswell so it wasnt just me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding, even though your a manager and your doing well for yourself, we are all human and not machines. Be more open and let people know where they stand with you, dont let them just guess from day to day.

(this does not apply to all managers, there are brilliant managers out there who work for dunelm, this is just my own personal bad expirience with two managers)

detestable

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Colchester, England (UK)

Prospros: lets see, their basic rate of pay though variable from store to store is higher than most basic retail jobs. Dunelm Mill Helpline always gave good advice and were easy to get through to and talk to. Excellent fire/ emergency training videos.

ConsNo information advertised in house about training programmes available. Many staff are never trained properly or correctly trained, especially concerning anything above the bare minimum of how to use a till or the handsets (HTTCs) The fabric and custom made departments severely lacked training. Even calling stores in my area didn't help as they hadn't been trained either and this is after talking to as many staff as possible at each store. Very little COSHH training, what there was was never done often enough. The schemes set to encourage employees to be the best they can be, do not often work as well as they could because its not large enough to make anyone think its attainable. I am a previous winner of several of those awards but can see how other colleagues and stores get frustrated that there is not enough motivation on a person level to encourage colleagues to attempt to win. Despite having even won awards personally and being a large part of making the departmental awards achievable, myself and many other colleagues always felt there was never any support or sense of pride from our various managers and store managers over the years. Any congratulations given were always given in a manner that made our achievements feel unimportant and barely noticed. Having a lack of personal drive is extremely detrimental to the employee and employer alike. Every store has a disproportionately limited numbers of staff compared to other retail stores. Many times many stores are permanently below the staffing standards set by Dunelm Mill. Personally i was on a 16 hour contract for three years and rarely worked below 25, this is often because i was rota'd in for extra hours even when i had asked not to be. On the many occasions i had serious complaints they weren't dealt with properly nor given a fair chance to explain my point of view. I was often victimised.

Advice to Senior ManagementI met many managers over my three years and very few of them had time for the personal cares of employees. a simple "good morning!" or "how are you?" every now and then, and then genuinely listening for the response, can do wonders for in house relationships working much more efficiently. Try to find a compliment to say to each employee over a month. even if its something really simple: "you've tidied that department really well, well done!" "you handled that difficult customer in a really positive professional way thats exactly what i like to see!" or even "nice tie!" if you have to reprimand a colleague over a small thing keep it to one minute and explain why what they were doing is detrimental and how it then makes you personally feel. this will encourage others to care about what you think, have respect for what you think and the person you've spoken to will be self-motivated to impress. If all managers from the CEO to the departmental managers are given basic retail psychology training such as this your business will improve.
    Advertise training schemes! the higher trained your staff are, then the efficiency of their work will improve. If one store has fantastic morale and another store nearby has very low morale, get the two stores to interact as much as possible, it will help.
    Get everyone interested in how the other areas of the company works, explain about what he average day at our main warehouses are like, a day in the cutting room, a day on the shop floor, a day at the helpline. get employees to write what its like in different areas and use a variety of those to explain what makes people that work there enjoy it. give everyone the chance to apply to see these things first hand.

Stressful but rewarding (mostly)

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)

ProsCareer progression
    Management Style
    Ability to manage your own team without interfering

ConsShort staffed always
    having to constantly save money
    volume of work
    unsocial hours

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in attracting the right candidates to the mangerial roles instead of getting the people who are cheapest because they always leave.

You need to listen to the staff more.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsStaff discount is good and most staff all work well together.

ConsHR consistently ignore serious issues with management. If you're not a favourite, you're done for. Staff stretched too far and never listened too.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your in store staff more, we know what we are doing and can help, we deal with customers ALL DAY.

Friendly and co-operative

Customer Service (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsReally good pay for my age compared to my friends with other jobs, very calm environment - not too busy and you don't have to rush in what you're doing, all staff are friendly and very helpful, always make time for you if you're stuck. Very flexible on shifts. Can have a break when it suits you.

ConsYou don't get any structured training - you have to pick it up as you go along which leads to a lot of mistakes and then feeling as if you've done wrong when you didn't even know in the first place. If you want a manager to sort something out for you, you have to remind and mither them a lot to get it sorted.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake proper training booklets and fully trained people to train people on tills which follow exact structures so that it minimises mistakes. Maybe a handbook for new employees that they can read through before they start at Dunelm and can have it with them while they're working. Days when it's one-on-one training, especially people on tills, so they they know the exact process to follow as mistakes can be made very easily.

Best company I have worked for with different challenges everyday

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work life combined with home life having every other weekend allowed me to have a family life with my wife and kids for once working within the retail environment great rate of pay and also a great background for advancement within the company , with lots of training available for all to improve there managing skills and retail skills

Conssign in and sign out system a bit out of date lots of better ways and up to date ways of controlling staff clocking in and out of work.

Poor.

Floor Staff (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsUnfortunately the main "Pro" that i can think of is that the work is easy and there is little pressure from the management to get more out of you and your employees. The hourly rate is very good for a store of this type and the ease of day to day life there. Also, as it is a reputable company it does look very good on someones C.V. which allows moving on easily.

ConsNo prospect of promotion, almost always hire from outside the company instead of promotion.
    The training is minimal, i personally have been there for 4 years, and have never been trained in ANYTHING other than how to use the tills. For example, checking stock, putting stock out etc.
    Staff brought in do not seem to know anything about the products that they are selling on their departments.
    Little job rotation, which leads to very low motivation to do my job well as i have nothing to work/strive for, as i will still be stood behind a till.
    Management are very rude, clear divide between the treatment on part-time staff to full-time staff. Management are also the first to complain when it comes to helping you with a customer or facing a customer at all, for example ignoring a ringing phone, sorting out a complaint. This puts less well trained individuals in CS in a bad spot when facing a customer.
    Takes months to sort out holiday bookings, and when asked i am faced with complaints about asking for time off, of which i am entitled. No real benefits from working for the store at all.
    Bad atmosphere while working, everyone seems to grind on each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort yourselves out.

Worked for Dunelm? Contribute to the Community!