Dunelm

Updated November 6, 2014

Dunelm Chief Executive Nick Wharton
Nick Wharton

Life At Dunelm

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work, really have family values

Cons

none everything is brilliant i enjoy my job

keep going, great job

Unfair at times but on the whole, a nice environment

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training in various areas of retail and opportunity to meet new people and learn a range of social skills.

Cons

Sometimes the top of the hierarchy aren't understanding to personal issues or pretend they weren't made aware of problems or plans.

Attempt to gain a more in depth and personal relationship to all staff to understand how to get the best out of them.

Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

Cons

If your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Close every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

There ok i guess....

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Huntingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Huntingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're very good with my hours, as i currently work 2 jobs, they were kind enough to fit me in around my other job.

Cons

There is never enough people to cover busy weekend shifts, the tills are about 20 years old and need updating, the store isn't air conditioned properly. Very limited hours available, you tend to have to be either 'friends' with the managers or beg to get any sort of extra hours.

Learn to manage your shops better, employ more staff

overall not a bad company to work for

Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Stafford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Stafford, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (more than an year)

Pros

in my store we have a great management team, and we are all friendly. the 15% staff discount is nice too

Cons

not everyone gets the amount of hours per week they need, feel a bit stretched staff wise

hire more staff. more staff = happier customers which means more profits for you

Glad i left.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people i worked with were lovely and i loved going to work because of the friendly atmosphere

Cons

the managers. When i say this i am serious, 2 of the managers i worked for were nasty. the other 2 were brilliant. The managers that were horrible, you almost had to be part of a clicky group to 'fit in', it was a vile place to work because of them and im not afraid to say i left because of them. Many other people left aswell so it wasnt just me.

Be more understanding, even though your a manager and your doing well for yourself, we are all human and not machines. Be more open and let people know where they stand with you, dont let them just guess from day to day.

(this does not apply to all managers, there are brilliant managers out there who work for dunelm, this is just my own personal bad expirience with two managers)

detestable

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Colchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Colchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pros: lets see, their basic rate of pay though variable from store to store is higher than most basic retail jobs. Dunelm Mill Helpline always gave good advice and were easy to get through to and talk to. Excellent fire/ emergency training videos.

Cons

No information advertised in house about training programmes available. Many staff are never trained properly or correctly trained, especially concerning anything above the bare minimum of how to use a till or the handsets (HTTCs) The fabric and custom made departments severely lacked training. Even calling stores in my area didn't help as they hadn't been trained either and this is after talking to as many staff as possible at each store. Very little COSHH training, what there was was never done often enough. The schemes set to encourage employees to be the best they can be, do not often work as well as they could because its not large enough to make anyone think its attainable. I am a previous winner of several of those awards but can see how other colleagues and stores get frustrated that there is not enough motivation on a person level to encourage colleagues to attempt to win. Despite having even won awards personally and being a large part of making the departmental awards achievable, myself and many other colleagues always felt there was never any support or sense of pride from our various managers and store managers over the years. Any congratulations given were always given in a manner that made our achievements feel unimportant and barely noticed. Having a lack of personal drive is extremely detrimental to the employee and employer alike. Every store has a disproportionately limited numbers of staff compared to other retail stores. Many times many stores are permanently below the staffing standards set by Dunelm Mill. Personally i was on a 16 hour contract for three years and rarely worked below 25, this is often because i was rota'd in for extra hours even when i had asked not to be. On the many occasions i had serious complaints they weren't dealt with properly nor given a fair chance to explain my point of view. I was often victimised.

I met many managers over my three years and very few of them had time for the personal cares of employees. a simple "good morning!" or "how are you?" every now and then, and then genuinely listening for the response, can do wonders for in house relationships working much more efficiently. Try to find a compliment to say to each employee over a month. even if its something really simple: "you've tidied that department really well, well done!" "you handled that difficult customer in a really positive professional way thats exactly what i like to see!" or even "nice tie!" if you have to reprimand a colleague over a small thing keep it to one minute and explain why what they were doing is detrimental and how it then makes you personally feel. this will encourage others to care about what you think, have respect for what you think and the person you've spoken to will be self-motivated to impress. If all managers from the CEO to the departmental managers are given basic retail psychology training such as this your business will improve.
    Advertise training schemes! the higher trained your staff are, then the efficiency of their work will improve. If one store has fantastic morale and another store nearby has very low morale, get the two stores to interact as much as possible, it will help.
    Get everyone interested in how the other areas of the company works, explain about what he average day at our main warehouses are like, a day in the cutting room, a day on the shop floor, a day at the helpline. get employees to write what its like in different areas and use a variety of those to explain what makes people that work there enjoy it. give everyone the chance to apply to see these things first hand.

Stressful but rewarding (mostly)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career progression
    Management Style
    Ability to manage your own team without interfering

Cons

Short staffed always
    having to constantly save money
    volume of work
    unsocial hours

Invest more in attracting the right candidates to the mangerial roles instead of getting the people who are cheapest because they always leave.

You need to listen to the staff more.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount is good and most staff all work well together.

Cons

HR consistently ignore serious issues with management. If you're not a favourite, you're done for. Staff stretched too far and never listened too.

Listen to your in store staff more, we know what we are doing and can help, we deal with customers ALL DAY.

Friendly and co-operative

Current Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really good pay for my age compared to my friends with other jobs, very calm environment - not too busy and you don't have to rush in what you're doing, all staff are friendly and very helpful, always make time for you if you're stuck. Very flexible on shifts. Can have a break when it suits you.

Cons

You don't get any structured training - you have to pick it up as you go along which leads to a lot of mistakes and then feeling as if you've done wrong when you didn't even know in the first place. If you want a manager to sort something out for you, you have to remind and mither them a lot to get it sorted.

Make proper training booklets and fully trained people to train people on tills which follow exact structures so that it minimises mistakes. Maybe a handbook for new employees that they can read through before they start at Dunelm and can have it with them while they're working. Days when it's one-on-one training, especially people on tills, so they they know the exact process to follow as mistakes can be made very easily.

Dunelm Photos

Dunelm Mill and fenced-off Worcester Cross, Kidderminster (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Truro : Dunelm Mill, Kidderminster (Photo thanks to Geograph user Lewis Clarke, Some Rights Reserved)
Dunelm Loading Bay (Photo thanks to Geograph user Gordon Griffiths, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo