Dunham's

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Lynn

Fun, low-stress, easy place to work.

Cashier (Former Employee) Hermitage, PA

ProsIt's a smaller store so it's easier to manage work loads, the staff are very kind--I never had a conflict, it was a great introduction to Retail work. Managers were kind and understanding, I became friends with them fairly quickly. Being a cashier didn't mean you were stuck at the register all day; there were lots of other jobs to be done before closing, so I was never really bored. And the customers were generally very kind and conversational.

ConsHolidays are mandatory, some stores have outdated equipment (computers, and credit card readers) so returns and lay-away processes would take quite a bit longer than many other stores--which would irritate customers and be a little stressful for new employees, some stores do not have a custodial staff (mine didn't) so whoever closed that night had to sweep and mop the whole store (I didn't mind but some of the kids wouldn't do a very good job, and we'd either get out late or be reprimanded for a dirty store.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the upper management/store owners: Update all your stores' register equipment, computers, card readers, phones--everything. You might also want to appoint a custodial staff to the stores who don't have them; the stores are VERY filthy and run-down and there's only so much the store management can do without you.

Not the worst place to work, if you don't like to think for yourself.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a destination store. People coming in are coming to buy fun things therefore they are generally shopping in a good mood.

ConsTechnology is behind the times. Payroll can at times be too tight to maintain a 25 to 30,000 sq ft store efficiently. Micromanagement is rampant. Chain of command is circumvented leaving managers with the feeling that they are being spied on by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers to be managers not caretakers.

I liked working there but my new job is so more well organized and doesn't seem to be living in the past.

Former Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat place to start a job. Other employees are helpful and fun to work with.

ConsHard to help customers when the register system is so old and slow. Management seems to think in the same way old and slow. Product coming from the warehouse is always disorganized and takes to much time to sort before it is ready to process to the sales floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to upgrade their management style and their operating system to the 21st century. The warehouse needs to upgrade to become more organized and proficient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad but there's better jobs out there

10 00 (Former Employee)

ProsI like all the people I worked with. The work environment is usually laid back, and for the most part the job is repetitive.

ConsThis company is stuck in the 90's It was only a few short years ago when they used cassette tapes for the store music, and only a year ago when they got high speed internet and can now send emails instantly! lol You get screamed at by customers because you are following company policy, only to have upper management cave to them after they contact corporate. They think collecting emails from customers is the only way to bring people in the store, and if you don't collect enough emails watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many things that could be done to save this company money. First off I would not run a weekly ad take it down throw away the signs and then put new ones with mostly the same prices back up. Seems like it would be more efficient to run longer ads. Also I would do what many retailers do and actually organize stock at the warehouse. Instead of having clothing, shoes, fishing and golf balls in one box have things sorted by department.

Miserable and unsafe!!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe only thing I liked about working here were my co-workers and the flexible hours.

ConsUnderstaffed, horrible management, and unsafe equipment. I ended up breaking my leg after falling on a ladder!

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees=better costumer service. Stop treating us like crap!

Company leaders very in grateful!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSchedule can be flexible depending on manager.

ConsYou are required to travel all over for store openings and inventories. Including making you drive 12 hours to North Carolina. Where you are worked like slave because you are salaried and they don't want to have to pay people any extra! Then you only get 30 cents a mile and they only pay for your dinner up to $15. That's when you get paid. Which takes them about 3 months to get you an expense check.
    You are not a manager you are a decently paid stocker/sales associate. You don't have anyone to delegate too.
    There is no appreciation from the upper management in the company. They work you 90+ hours in a week when you travel and then you don't even get a thanks or good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe regional manager is Unappreciative slave driver! No respect for anyone!
    Appreciate your employees a little. Without them you wouldn't have a company. They make it run. Not the guy who comes in once a year and threatens everyone's jobs. Also just because minimum wage goes up for your associates doesn't mean that that should be their raise. I have employees who haven't gotten a raise in 2 years because minimum wage went up. Ridiculous!

Easy, but boring. Great Potential. Stuck in the stone ages.

(Current Employee)

ProsSome great people. Easy work (once you learn the daily routine, you can pretty much turn your brain off). Great products (guns, shoes, sport clothing). And for the work being so easy, the annual salary is great. Fun to go to work each day and enjoy being around products that you enjoy. The company seems to be growing and there are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to relocate.

The Help Desk. Anytime you have a question or need something, there is a group of people at the corp office who are like 911 for the sporting goods world. They're super knowledgeable, very nice, and awesome at helping store associates deal with operational issues. In fact, everyone at the corp office seems super knowledgeable and knows how to do their job very well.

ConsSome terrible people. The company is cheap. The reimbursement program takes FOR-EVER (For example, if you have to drive to work at another store, you can turn in your mileage to get reimbursed.....BUT IT TAKES 3-4 MONTHS TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK, due to the fact that all reimbursement checks are cut through the corporate office once per quarter). The company is stuck in the stone ages (still using stamp pads to price items, hand written schedules, almost NO computer programs). There is little to no sorting system for how the merchandise comes from the Distribution Center. Sometimes they literally send boxes with 250 individual items packed inside. The benefits are terrible (no extras. Only insurance and 401k). BUT, the company only matches $100 PER YEAR for 401k (I might as well not even participate). There are not any programs set in place to increase associate morale or to make you feel valued as an associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. If you're only willing to pay hourly associates $7.25/hour, you're going to get associates who are WORTH $7.25/hour.

Expand your benefits. It seems unrealistic to expect too many people to stay around long term if they can't even get decent retirement set up.

Pay someone to come up with some new technology. You could literally save yourself the terrible $7.25 associates if you would just come up with some ways to work smarter (i.e. shipment sorting systems, EAS sensoring practices, INDIVIDUAL PRICING STICKERS FOR EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. IN. THE. ENTIRE. STORE.)

Great Culture, Poor Executives.

Associate (Former Employee) Livonia, MI

ProsThere were a lot of opportunities for growth. In a little over two years time I moved from a cashier, to head cashier, to sales associate, to a department coordinator. The culture in each store is unique, but very inclusive. Communication is very open and I ended up knowing the District Manager personally, and he knew me as well.

ConsBeyond the District Manager, executives have little concept of what actually happens on the front line. Silly rules take away from what we could actually get done with some freedom. Pay is on the low side, but there are yearly raises available. Reviews are almost solely based on email percentages, which has very little to do with the overall job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees that work on the floor and learn what works best. A lot of employees eventually burnout from following all the silly rules. The email rewards program is a great concept, but basing reviews on it is entirely unfair. It is something that can only be accounted for so much.

Good Start, Go Nowhere

Department Coordinator/Keyholder (Current Employee) Lavale, MD

ProsGood Benefits
    Great Co workers
    Good Discount

ConsPay is extremely low for managers pay
    Company does not care too much for employees (even managers)
    Company is small and not much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a previous manager my recommendation to other management is to keep options open. If you are a manager this company will want you to do whatever they want you to do. It doesn't matter if you have family they want you to travel and not pay you any more than what your getting now. If you refuse to travel you are not liked and if your not in the " in crowd " you are not important to them.

Keep looking.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsSome of the people you work with are great. If you like working with the public, that can be great, too.

ConsEveryone above the store level doesn't really know about what goes on and so you can be at the mercy of a store manager who is just trying to make themselves look good. Many people play favorites, including district managers and regional managers. If they don't love you right away, you're not going to advance very far. Dunham's will come up with any reason to not give you more money if they can come up with something.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more compliments, less criticism, and give people a raise every once in a while when they are busting their butt for you. Get rid of the mullets that run the company. It looks like an '80's convention in there.

Worked for Dunham's? Contribute to the Community!