Dunham's

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.4

Jeff Lynn

Pros
  • It is not too bad for a after school part time job (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, easy to advance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Would like to get paid more than minimum wage (in 4 reviews)

• Some managers are bad(Head Store Managers are usually good though) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dunham's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with upward mobility.

Cons

Long hours, chaotic freight trucks that are rarely on schedule.

Continue to promote from within.

Long hours a lot of responsibilities

I have been working at Dunham's

Pros

Good people and discounts

Cons

Required to do a lot with low pay

Up payroll, pay employeesbetter

First summer job

I worked at Dunham's

Pros

If you sports, you get to work with sports stuff all day. Customer interaction, great first job for a young person.

Cons

Jealous co-workers, if they see you are going to college in the fall. Managers were a bit cocky for no real reason

Maybe look at the managers in store a little closer.

Pounding the payment for nothing

Current Employee - Department Coordinator/Keyholder
    Current Employee - Department Coordinator/Keyholder

I have been working at Dunham's full-time

Pros

Alot of great people that you get to meet at the workplace, as well as a laid back environment for the most part.

Cons

Constantly understaffed, terrible pay, very minimal room to advance unless you know the right person (aka the DIstrict Manager) and are on the in with him/her

Realize the good people you have on hand when it comes to promotions. That goes a long way

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dunham's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is not too bad for a after school part time job. It is pretty easy to advance and could be used for a good resume builder. But other than that, it's not a good place to work. I have only worked here for as long as I have because I have a family to support and I want the experience to take elsewhere.

Cons

Very selfish company. They only look out for themselves & the customers, only because the customers bring them more money. They do not have their employees backs. They have allot of policies that the employees are supposed to follow and when they do and stand up for it, the corporation does not have their back and backs up the customer and gives them whatever they want. You are expected to work on holidays and not get compensated for it. And if hourly, there is no overtime and if you're salary, you have to work extra hours. The associates do their best to live up to Dunham's rules and "standard" and they do not reward them for their work or even give them enough hours to properly staff the store to fulfill the customers needs. Instead, they cut hours. They're isn't enough training tools available. You are expected to learn on your own. Technology is always behind times.

Fun, low-stress, easy place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Hermitage, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hermitage, PA

I worked at Dunham's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a smaller store so it's easier to manage work loads, the staff are very kind--I never had a conflict, it was a great introduction to Retail work. Managers were kind and understanding, I became friends with them fairly quickly. Being a cashier didn't mean you were stuck at the register all day; there were lots of other jobs to be done before closing, so I was never really bored. And the customers were generally very kind and conversational.

Cons

Holidays are mandatory, some stores have outdated equipment (computers, and credit card readers) so returns and lay-away processes would take quite a bit longer than many other stores--which would irritate customers and be a little stressful for new employees, some stores do not have a custodial staff (mine didn't) so whoever closed that night had to sweep and mop the whole store (I didn't mind but some of the kids wouldn't do a very good job, and we'd either get out late or be reprimanded for a dirty store.)

To the upper management/store owners: Update all your stores' register equipment, computers, card readers, phones--everything. You might also want to appoint a custodial staff to the stores who don't have them; the stores are VERY filthy and run-down and there's only so much the store management can do without you.

not a good company...there in it for themselves

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wilson, NC

I have been working at Dunham's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you do get some good discounts

Cons

traveling allot long hours poor benefits

wake up and smell the coffee you have a great thing going just need to get a work life balance and better benefits. You say your big box act like a big box!!!! Get onto the 20th century

Not the worst place to work, if you don't like to think for yourself.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dunham's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a destination store. People coming in are coming to buy fun things therefore they are generally shopping in a good mood.

Cons

Technology is behind the times. Payroll can at times be too tight to maintain a 25 to 30,000 sq ft store efficiently. Micromanagement is rampant. Chain of command is circumvented leaving managers with the feeling that they are being spied on by upper management.

Hire managers to be managers not caretakers.

I liked working there but my new job is so more well organized and doesn't seem to be living in the past.

Former Employee - Former Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dunham's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a job. Other employees are helpful and fun to work with.

Cons

Hard to help customers when the register system is so old and slow. Management seems to think in the same way old and slow. Product coming from the warehouse is always disorganized and takes to much time to sort before it is ready to process to the sales floor.

They need to upgrade their management style and their operating system to the 21st century. The warehouse needs to upgrade to become more organized and proficient.

Not bad but there's better jobs out there

Former Employee - 10 00
    Former Employee - 10 00

I worked at Dunham's full-time

Pros

I like all the people I worked with. The work environment is usually laid back, and for the most part the job is repetitive.

Cons

This company is stuck in the 90's It was only a few short years ago when they used cassette tapes for the store music, and only a year ago when they got high speed internet and can now send emails instantly! lol You get screamed at by customers because you are following company policy, only to have upper management cave to them after they contact corporate. They think collecting emails from customers is the only way to bring people in the store, and if you don't collect enough emails watch out.

There are many things that could be done to save this company money. First off I would not run a weekly ad take it down throw away the signs and then put new ones with mostly the same prices back up. Seems like it would be more efficient to run longer ads. Also I would do what many retailers do and actually organize stock at the warehouse. Instead of having clothing, shoes, fishing and golf balls in one box have things sorted by department.