Dunn-Edwards

Be The First To
Add Photos

Karl Altergott

Best Paint EVER made

Customer Service Lead (Former Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsCo-workers have long tenner and are easy to work with. Benefits are great.

ConsYou need to speak mexican since 98% customers are from Mexico.
    Getting help from Corporate is a Joke
    Moving up in the company the pay does not match
    Very limited growth if you are in retail, you will stop at Store Manager

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to make your retail stores open 7 days a week, make sure they have the support from Outside sales rep, Senior Management, and especially CORPORATE. Problems don't stop cause its Friday at 5pm.

challenging, challenging, challenging.

Top Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsA person can probably develop good, transferable skills for another or future employer.

ConsSenior management does not categorically trust front-facing employees (store employees).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as if their are an investment--which they are. Stop contradicting yourselves.

Great People

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people are great. One of the best cultures I have ever worked in. The company is going in the right direciton and the customers are loyal to the brand

Conscould use more vacation and medical is too high. Overall it is a good company with not a lot to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the end of year bonus

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok..for beginners

Chemist, Product Development (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexibility, freedom to experiment but must meet deadlines.
    Friendly and small environment
    my boss was very understand and was very great! But people above my boss were not so good..
    good if your just starting, ability to grow if you like ..

ConsSmall company so mostly do it yourself..even finding your own toilet paper sometimes around the factory. the place is run down. Upper management seems to care very little about the employee.
    Expect a lot in a short time frame with very limited bodies to help.
    can be physically demanding sometimes..be physically fit or work slow (hurting your back while lifting and such is not worth it!!)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore vacation time and raises would be nice. Care for people who are hardworking and don't over look them. Those are the ones worth holding on to in the long run. Bring in some food or company get together once in while and bring up the vibe in that place. I don't think i have ever met anyone in corporate down the street and they never met us..what do they do?! don't they want to know what we do?! it is so divided..It is too serious there and anything you do feels like your are going to be in trouble

Terrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsThere are no perks you get paid terrible and treated like garbage

ConsWorst company I have ever worked for! Management was terrible I had to go on a medical leave for pregnancy never got my desability due to management not giving me proper paper work. My position was so stressful and the work load was so much I never got recognised for my hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management do your job

Mixed experience.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    East Los Angeles, CA

ProsA lot of camaraderie among the regular staff. Company has expanded and staff is small, so ambitious employees can learn a lot.

ConsVerbal abuse of employees by some senior leaders. No retirement for most people, takes years to join the program. Pay is below market. Corporate marketing changes are frequent and have been taking a toll on store sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees through your actions. Counsel senior leaders to end abuse and treat employees fairly.

Store Assoicate

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis is truly a family company. Everyone from the CEO to the people in the stores understands that. Every empoloyee got a $200 Christmas bonus this year which was unexpected and appreciated. The company had a great year and is heading in the right direction. I love working at Dunn Edwards and it is so much better then my old company!

ConsI wish we got more vacation when we started. That is the only big negative I can think of. My store team is great to work with and the company has great products. Also I wish Medical was cheaper

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bringing new products to the stores

Great Product, Crappy Store Service

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsUncapped market for sales opportunities. Commission rate is fair. Plenty of sales support for the field. DE has a pretty great name in the industry.

ConsThe CEO is a process driven individual. Focus seems to be on efficiencies rather than customer service in the stores. If I was a customer, I would take my business elsewhere based on service. Store employees act like everything is a hassle and tend to forget who pays their paycheck. Immediate focus is needed at the store level. Sales reporting is redundant and I feel it could be cut back 50% and still achieve the required data. Also, the neck tie think is a bit dated and often makes you appear foreign to many of our clientele. Even the architects are biz casual these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the complaints. Talk to our customers and get honest feedback. Many are quick to jump ship to vendors that appreciate them. Set standards for greeting customers, delivery practices and tinting and enforce them! We need more associates actively engaged. Join sales and stores farther down the chain of command.

More or less, like Apollo 13. Houston, they have a problem, and it isn't their rank and file employees.

Not Important (Former Employee)
    Commerce, CA

ProsMaybe if you're a beginner in the industry, this company may be ok to you. With short experience with this outfit, the truth will set you free. Get an early start: Look at the cons! (This only applies if you are an employee with a good attitude and work ethic. If you are like the managers, you deserve each other).

ConsChrist, where should we start? Let's put it this way: A lack of preparation or courage on the part of managers is grounds for the employee to run from the crisis their managers create for them!

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, clean up your act with your employees. I'm speaking of a particular department, but it can go with any of them, and they should know who they are. Attention managers: If I had charge of your company or was a customer and found out how a few of your managers deal with decent employees, I'd lose a few of the managers in the former case and discontinue business with DE in the later. Motivated employees make for a better run business and will help the sales of the products, directly or indirectly. Advice from us: Do a thorough background check on your managers or anyone applying to be one. You may save yourself money and grief, both the employees and your own! It's a place we're glad we left!

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe company offers reliable employment, somewhat decent health insurance, ability to transfer to different locations, ability to work different jobs, possibility for advancement if you get in with the right crowd, the company actually produces a quality product.

ConsVery hard to achieve pay increases, corporate easily "loses" your training paperwork, very laborious work (at the store, non-management level), if you make the wrong friends your chances of advancement are slim to none, the company does not value you as a worker, the company has no interest in helping you utilize your full potential, management is typically close-minded and insecure, company does not show employee appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so insecure that you smother your employee's ideas, be respectful to your employees, prove that you care about your employees by acting as an advocate to ensure your employee actually receives any raises they earn, should earn, or were promised they would earn. Be productive with your time. If you have time to watch the cameras looking for the employee to mess up, you should instead use that time to help the employee get to where they want to go. Remember that it is a mutual professional relationship; you need them just as much as they need you. Go to school and get an education. Learn to clearly articulate what you want from your employee.

Worked for Dunn-Edwards? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dunn-Edwards reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dunn-Edwards CEO Karl Altergott. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Dunn-Edwards employees.