Dunnes Stores Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Frank Dunne

Great people poor head office/ company.

I worked at Dunnes Stores

Pros

GREAT PEOPLE with flexible hours. If possible I would give five stars because you can meet some of the smartest and most interesting people while working in RETAIL. FIVE stars for RETAIL. Minus 1 for the company.

Cons

Orders come from head office. Management similar to robots following orders with little room to make independent decisions.

Advice to Management

Stop being a heartless corporation focused on profits or at least try to mask it somewhat. Dunne's is the Irish Walmart.

2. Retail assistant

I worked at Dunnes Stores part-time

Pros

Good starting pay, work isn't too hard, good hours especially over the Christmas period and you are always busy so days fly in

Cons

Employees are very under appreciated a lot of hard work goes without any praise. There is very little opportunities to progress. No benefits

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. They do a lot even though they are not treated very well

3. Okay

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Dunnes Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

salary, good team, coworkers, hourly rates, flexibility

Cons

hours, not challenging enough, managers lacking skills

5. Average

I have been working at Dunnes Stores

Pros

Good salary, consistent workload, good training , good treatment

Cons

Inconsistent hours, selective treatment, changing hours, flexible contracts

Advice to Management

Equal treatment of staff

6. It was ok

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Kildare (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Kildare (Ireland)

I worked at Dunnes Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

busy, nice co-workers, decent hours

Cons

Not allowed water a the till even on an 8 hour shift, customers

Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Dunnes Stores

Pros

Nice staff and good pay. I enjoyed my time here

Cons

No consistent hours. One week you work three days. The next you work six

8. Great experience

I worked at Dunnes Stores

Pros

Given a range of responsibilities: stock handling, customer service, cashier, monitoring fitting rooms

Cons

Sometimes there would be a lack of staff, so would finish later than expected

9. Do NOT work for them!!!

I worked at Dunnes Stores full-time

Pros

I can't think of one thing.

Cons

Okay... I worked in a Deli for 4 years previous to going to work for Dunnes. They offered me a TILL OPERATIVE job more hours but the same wage, which was fine so I went for it. I wish I had stayed where I was before. I worked in the Charleville Dunnes in Cork. 1. I get told when I start on my first day, actually you are in the DELI. I wouldn't have left my previous deli job if I had of known this. I worked myself so hard for them, trying to get a permanent position. 2. They do not give a crap about people with children, holidays or funerals. 3. Their managers (line managers now, the ones who are down on the floor) work REALLY HARD and are VERY GOOD at their job. People in the offices however, are just sitting on their butts doing nothing. 4. They basically tell you your hours for the next week on the Friday, so you can't make any plans to have a life. They are really strict as to when you take your holidays. I was on a "zero hour contract". 5. They "extend" your contract and only do it in 3 months at a time, so you never really know how you are doing. I was let go during my lunch break, 2 weeks before my holidays were about to start (which I have booked in advanced and had been told were approved by management). I was happy to leave, but in order to take my holidays I had to work the week that I was on the rota for. I felt awful having to go back to work after lunch. 6. The car park shuts at 1800 every day, but you can be at work til at least midnight, so you have to run down (during your break) and move your car, which can be really annoying because you can get clamped in Charleville for this. 7. So you shift ends at 2100??? I DON'T THINK SO! I was there until 0130 sometimes just stacking shelves of crap that could have been done by the staff in the morning. If you said you had to leave on time, good luck because of "security reasons" you are not permitted to leave the place without the manager being ready to leave.

Advice to Management

You really need to work on your people management skills, really, you can not keep treating people like this. I was jumping for joy when I got left go! Do you know how dangerous is can be for one of your works to be walking back to their car in the library car park at night? With all of the pubs and clubs near by? You probably won't even read this anyway.....

10. The worst work experience in my life.

Former Employee - Store Detective in Ballina, Mayo (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Store Detective in Ballina, Mayo (Ireland)

I worked at Dunnes Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always getting paid in time and having a permanent work place with flexible hours that allowed me to return to university, are the only positive aspects I can think of.

Cons

This company is a safe haven for individuals with to many sociopathic character traits. Erratic behavior is the norm in Dunnes Stores and there is nothing rational in anything that is done at the company. I was lucky to work there as a store detective and therefore was neither staff nor management, what gave me a bit of the buffer from what the rest had to suffer on a daily basis in this place. Despite my unique position did I had to suffer verbal abuse, harassment and bullying on a weekly basis. There is no subtlety in social interactions and management dictates what has do be done how and when. This changes with every manager and often management contradicts itself within one conversation several times, there is no communication between management. Management often requested illegal surveillance of staff and did not understand that my job is to be impartial, since both the management and staff are potential customers of mine. There is a strict hierarchy based on who has been with the company the longest. The ratio between management and staff is not appropriate and there is simply no need to have so many managers roaming the floor, giving contradictory instructions to staff that is often more experienced in what they do then management. It is expected to cope with irrational behavior and usually the individuals with the greatest lack of empathy rise trough the ranks the quickest. Joining the Mandate Union made sure I was once a week in the office and it is not beneficial if you intend to last in the place. If you belong to the small demographic who likes to make people suffer, Dunnes Stores is right employer for you. Summarized the companies work environment is based on terror. Those who dare to speak up will be made redundant, one way or the other.

Advice to Management

After having graduated and brought a couple of years between me and this horrid experience I had I can only suggest to look for professional help since it is badly needed. Even now I have issues comprehending how this place still exists and why people still provide support to a company who is known to grossly mistreating their staff.

11. Good all round experiene

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Dunnes Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff friendly, good perks, no day the same, flexible hours

Cons

Not much room for progression, pay increases not on the horizon, alot of pressure from management

Advice to Management

Listen to employees opinions and ideas more

RSS Feed </> Embed