Dunnhumby Reviews

Dunnhumby Chief Executive Simon Hay
Simon Hay

1. More good than bad

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i joined dunnhumby in Cincinnati a little more than 3 years ago and promised myself I would come back and post a review to see if the company has lived up to all of the hype.

- Everything that you hear about company culture is true. The business goes out of its way to make the employees comfortable at work. From your physical office space, to healthy living programs, to just having fun and blowing off steam, teams of people work hard to make employees happy.
    - The core mission of focusing of customers is really lived by the business in all teams and departments in the work we do every day.
    - People here are the smartest I have ever worked with, but approachable and friendly.
    - Pay and benefit packages are strong
    - There seem to be lots of options for continuing education (although less is available at my pay grade)

Cons

- For a technology company, the tools we have as employees do not make it easy to do our jobs.
    - Not enough money is invested back into the business. There is little focus on R&D.
    - There is little diversity in the leadership. There are virtually no women in executive roles. It is brought up in company Q&A sessions and dismissed seemingly without care.
    - Organizational changes happen frequently as if they are sport.
    - I thought I would have more opportunities to work with colleagues abroad when I joined, but I have never really worked with anyone outside of Cincinnati.

Advice to Management

Employees love much about the organization the way it is, and with good reason. Keep what is great about the company while investing more money back into the business, diverisfying leadership (you already have many talented women) and stabilizing org changes.

A very mixed bag of positive and negative experiences

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company can be a rewarding place to work with regard to life/work balance, benefits and resume visibility. Grade 7 managers seem to be very open and transparent; the abilities of managers declines quickly at grade 5 and below. Perks include social activities, on-site gyms, generous vacation structure, opportunities to volunteer locally and ability to work offsite.

Cons

There is a propensity to value youth over experience.
    Many mid to upper level managers (grades 4 to 6) are not trained as managers, and it is quite apparent.
    No redress for issues with a very unhelpful and unprofessional HR department.
    Some managers known for bullying, intimidation and lack of respect for employees are free to continue these practices.
    Too much "forced" conviviality and partying; pay more attention to work and deliverables.
    Difficult and unequal promotion processes.
    constantly reduced personal workspace (communal, open plan fosters collaboration but makes concentration difficult, privacy impossible and personal space non-existent.
    Very noticeable cliques of senior managers with tenure over 7 years (USA in particular); if you're not on the inside, you never will be.
    Dismissals can be indiscriminate, and no redress is possible

Advice to Management

stricter reviews and oversight of managers (particularly grade 4 and 5)
    more training of managers and better on boarding for new hires
    make HR responsive and more confidential
    stop the emphasis on alcohol consumption (even in jest, drinking to excess IS a common theme, and encouraged)
    too many meetings, team-building and "innovation" days

3. Great internship for students interested in business and technology

Current Intern - Data Analyst Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Intern - Data Analyst Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people here are passionate about what they do and are willing to help with whatever problems you may face.
    The work is interesting, projects have substantial impact on dunnhumby's business operations and interns are usually given the opportunity to engage in creative thinking and shaping the direction of projects.
    Work-life balance is great, and the people are just as engaged socially as they are at work.

Cons

It's an entrepreneurial company with innovative roots, and sometimes it can seem like they're too big for their shoes. Growing pains of entering new markets and diving into new technologies don't seem to affect us interns now, but the employee retention issues that are associated with the changes may leave the talent profile looking quite different in the coming years. There are a lot of subject matter experts, who can leave projects in the dark if they switch teams or leave the company.

Advice to Management

Diversity of the talent pool, especially in computer science and more technical disciplines, is going to be crucial for dunnhumby's future as they expand into the use of new technologies and products.

5. Open and collaborative atmosphere with friendly and personable employees

Current Intern - Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Intern - Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The layout and feel of the work environment itself is very friendly and inviting. The fact that all employees, regardless of job title or status, work in the same space and aren't separated by elaborate offices really makes me feel like I matter and am an important asset to the company. The events outside of the workday that the company sponsors are enjoyable and allow for increased social interaction.

Cons

My internship position was create more quickly than those that are a part of the Internship Program. Because of this my workload was sometimes very light and I feel I could have been challenged more at times.

Collage click

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good vacation time, on site gym, good people.

Cons

Management usually does not have experience managing people therefore does not have the ability to grow there team as they should.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about what is really going on and not what the ratings are. They seem more concerned about where they will finish in the Great Places to Work survey and not actually working on the issues at hand. It is a very superficial company.

Great culture, but no one is minding the store.

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, management really involved in promoting and maintaining the postive culture.

Cons

Still operates like a start-up. Lots of redundancy, cobbled together processes and systems, silos and overlap. Still trying to find their way.

Advice to Management

Get a head of operations and start being more strategic in your business processes and systems implementation. Stop letting each siloed area operate as its own business.

8. dunnumby review

Former Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very open collaborative environment. Everyone is very approachable, honest, and trustworthy. I never have a problem expressing my opinion.

Cons

Growing very fast. Many employees move teams quickly, which is good for career development, but results in teams that lack depth of experience.

Advice to Management

Match employees to positions based more on specific skills for the job. Involve managers more in the placement process.

9. Best place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Director, Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Director, Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere, intelligent and talented peers, flat hierarchy, benefits

Cons

In order to meet the minimum requirement for this field, I am writing a sentance to say there are no cons.

Can be great, depending...

Current Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of talented, enthusiastic people - in certain areas
    Excellent vacation benefit
    Good pay
    Bonus and 401K match are good
    A lot of "community" feeling

Cons

Very youth and energy focused, can be hard to "swim" there if you're not an energetic extrovert
    Everything, and I mean everything is a committee effort.
    Often more importance placed on image, politics, and perception than actually getting things done.
    Very "wild west", process-wise. They manage to work hard enough to make up for it much of the time, but it's not a sustainable model.
    Health benefits are geared toward young people with no health issues. Can be expensive otherwise.
    Management style - and employee experience - can vary widely depending on what part of the business you're in.
    Being good at what you do is not sufficient for success there. You must also be able to negotiate the social and political maze.

Advice to Management

Be realistic and critical about whom you're hiring, and whether they will fit in, culturally.
    Walk the walk of committing to quality.
    Don't rely on energy and enthusiasm to keep things rolling.

11. Top internship program: great work experience & fun company

Former Intern - Client Line Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Intern - Client Line Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Strong company culture: quirky, fun and extremely intelligent people
    Great work-life balance: focus on working smarter rather than working longer (company has an on-site gym with workout classes that you can sign up for during the workday!)
    Growing company: rapid growth in industry expertise, building a new headquarters in Cincinnati and expanding globally
    Innovative, start-up environment: as interns, we not only had interesting and relevant projects with a real impact on the business, but also engaged with senior management on community-service projects. dunnhumby is a company which truly cares about its employees and clients.

Cons

Low brand recognition: not a lot of people are familiar with dunnhumby outside of the marketing world, but this is improving as the company continues to grow

Advice to Management

Continue to provide an innovative, entrepreneurial environment as the company continues to grow