Duquesne University

Add Photos

Duquesne University President Charles J. Dougherty

Charles J. Dougherty

network engineer

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time for more than a year

Proslaid back, work was fun and not tiring. good people worked with me and always willing to teach me new things.

Conssome days were slow where i just sat in the office for my whole shift. And sometimes to keep me busy i had to do meaningless chores.

Advice to Senior Managementi have a set weekly schedule of what you need your lower workers to do on a daily basis.

Great school, good & dedicated staff, non-existent career paths from within

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Pitts, PA

ProsMission Statement and adherence to it. Tuition remission-excellent school

Consno credibile career path structure in place for current employees

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be real career paths for current employees within. HR having to post a job for legal reasons when there is no real intent of hiring from within is a waste of everyone's time.

Inadequate resources, inadequate support, very bureaucratic and controlling

Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Duquesne University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAverage employees are very kind and caring. Students very nice. Physical environment generally pleasant. Nice amount of vacation time and holidays.

ConsFighting over limited resources, bureaucracy very restrictive - university gets in its own way. Highly centralized, very hierarchical. Many internal obstacles interfere with day-to-day functioning. Gap between stated values and actual behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you try to run a university like a business, understand first how a good business operates.

Great people to work with, terrible people to work for

Librarian (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy colleagues are wonderful and I enjoy what I do at Duquesne. The pay is very fair, although in my part-time position I have no benefits. Work environment is clean, safe and quiet. If you are looking only for job security, this is the place for you!

ConsManagers at Duquesne micromanage, do not praise for work well done, resist change or any kind of innovation and can be punitive. Creativity is strongly discouraged. Employees are often asked to perform tasks outside of their job description with no additional compensation or recognition. Performance reviews are not based on actual performance: managers are not allowed to give more than a mediocre review of work. For three years, there were no raises. Many positions have a high rate of turnover due to poor managerial practice, part time nature of work, no chance of institutional advancement and no recognition for a job well done. If you are a hard-working, creative, forward-thinking person do NOT apply here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany jobs staffed by three or four part time workers should be turned into one full time position or one full time position with a part time position to assist. Workers should be rewarded and acknowledged for work performed outside of their job description. Managerial techniques sorely need review and some managers need to move on. Also, lessen bureaucracy to encourage creativity and innovation: the school would greatly benefit!

Graduate Assistant Experience

Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University as an intern for less than a year

ProsVariety of possible experiences for a graduate assistant

ConsPay over four years has remained rather stagnate, and has not matched increases in the cost of goods, inflation, etc.

Withheld

I have been working at Duquesne University

ProsWork/Life balance
Decent people as coworkers
Good tools

ConsPetty university politics
Salary
Vision for University constantly changing

Teaching a core humanities class

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThis a beautiful campus. I encountered faculty who were truly committed to teaching and mentoring students.

ConsI taught a core class. The students were disinterested. The department disrespectful. The relationship between students and faculty is problematic - the students think they are paying for good grades. They are not there to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe treatment of adjunct professors is disgraceful and contradict the meaning of Catholicism. The University employs an army of adjuncts and shamefully explains that we should not be living off our wages but rather have a full time job elsewhere. Nice, but untrue of the majority of Duquesne adjuncts I met. Unfortunately we have to pay rent too.

supportive, encouraging

Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duquesne University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFreedom to do what you plan

Constoo many courses and TA work

Great place if you want to follow orders.

I have been working at Duquesne University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSafe. No pressure. Free tuition. Good benefits. Lovely physical setting right in a big city. Students are mostly nice if you get to work with them.

ConsStuck in the 1980s in many ways. Only the faculty stay current, when they get the funding they need. Very hierarchical. Nobody is interested in your opinion or input.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a few courses on incenting high performers. Stop acting like popes and cardinals and bishops.

A small-scale, research and teaching oriented academic institution

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duquesne University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get a lot of experience and opportunity to teach undergraduates; A lot of teaching awards are also available that you can apply to.
Research-wise, it is pretty well equipped with latest instruments and machines.
A large no. of international students are also present.

ConsIts a very small university. As a graduate student, you might not get so much exposure like in a big, known university. Campus placements are less, more focused on undergraduate, rather than graduate students.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Duquesne University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duquesne University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duquesne University CEO Charles J. Dougherty. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Duquesne University employees.