Duquesne University Reviews

Reset
3.4
Duquesne University President Charles J. Dougherty
Charles J. Dougherty

1. Great Experience / Partial Tuition Paid and Stipend for good work experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot of community development, conflict resolution, program planning, budgeting, and time management. Great coworkers, ability to hire own student staff.

Cons

MAJOR time suck, politics of working for a university department may be frustrating at times - a lot of red tape.

Advice to Management

Listen to Graduate Assistant and RA suggestions more, they have a thumb on the pulse. Be more aware of the big picture.

2. Top-down approach

I worked at Duquesne University full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus and location (the bluff!)

Cons

I've never been in the army, but I bet it feels like working at Duquesne University. Everything (every 'command') is top down, with very little wiggle room for the employees (who are actually trying to make a difference).

Advice to Management

Please consider listening to your employees' voices AND taking action. Using 'religious exemption' as an excuse can only go so far...

Too Many Hours, Not Enough Support

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free tuition for full-time staff, access to fitness facilities, location

Cons

Expensive parking, long hours (I once worked 60 days without a complete day off and more than once had stretches of 2-3 weeks in the same situation), abysmal pay for expectations, no room for upward growth.

Advice to Management

If you're paying staff $30,000/year and they ask for a graduate assistant to help alleviate 50-60 hour work weeks and multiple week stretches without a complete day off, please give them one without making them beg for a year. I am completely disappointed in how my Alma Mater treats its staff. The Dean once said to me, "If I took time off for all of the hours I spent here outside of the workday, I'd never be at work." Well, Dean, I bet you were making a few more digits on your salary than I.

Training site

I worked at Duquesne University

Pros

The site had good commitment to training

Cons

The site was very top-down focused

Advice to Management

No advice to management at this time

6. it was a good grad school

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University

Pros

you could make your own schedule, my group was nice, my advisor was awesome, not too many classes required, research was encouraged

Cons

the people were sometimes hard to work with, some advisors are really mean and can be condescending, you don't get much respect from advisors or students until you are at least in your 3rd year

Advice to Management

I think the management should come down on the advisors more to respect all of the students no matter if they are freshman or senior graduate students, also to promote a better environment

7. Pay good but people aren't

I have been working at Duquesne University

Pros

Good pay at decent university. Working for this university should help with career advancement.

Cons

75% of the other employees at this university are so stuck up its disgusting. Makes for a terrible work environment.

8. Perfect job for furthering skill set and education

I have been working at Duquesne University

Pros

Training readily available and encouraged, tuition reimbursement for degree programs, tuition exchange/reimbursement for family members after specified employment period, supportive environment, religious atmosphere.

Cons

Salary comparatively lower than other positions outside education but tuition reimbursement more than makes up for what lacks in salary compensation.

Advice to Management

Be more open to new ideas and supportive of those who think outside the box.

Administration needs to focus more on education and less on buildings and basketball

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff are supportive and friendly and genuinely interested in learning and education. The students are generally polite and intelligent.

Cons

The cons relate largely to the administration. There's too much of an emphasis on the image of the university rather than the substance, and a real disconnect between faculty and the upper administration that makes the decisions.

Cut you at any point

I worked at Duquesne University

Pros

Some excellent people in faculty. Overall surface friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Layers upon layers of politics and don't get caught in between your work ethic and your boss -- you will lose. Witnessed some discrimination, job pay scale equity based upon sex and age. Do not expect to age gracefully here and do not, do not cross your manager as they do indeed own you. Worked in an office where 7 out of 11 staff members went to HR to complain about boss -- very dangerous step -- and were either humored or the boss was told about the complaint AND who had made it. Life became hell at Catholic School. So my advice is keep your head down and DU More.

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to your employees rather than showing required movies on bosses that bully and office violence. Do more than pay lip service to people who are saying that there is a problem before it becomes a problem. You have lost quite a few very good employees because of it.

11. Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supervisors, support staff, work with students.

Cons

Poor pay with zero room for Adjuncts to go full-time.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games with Adjuncts. How is it ethical to teach a class at $3,000 as an Adjunct but teach the exact same class as full-time and pay is $6,000? This makes no sense and is the reason Adjuncts are seeking to unionize at Duquesne University. The pay is absolutely pitiful for Adjuncts, especially given the massive amount of money Duquense University is making from tuition. Instead of stripping down Adjunct classes and pay, reduce middle management who do nothing except push papers.

RSS Feed </> Embed