Duquesne University

Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

Duquesne University President Charles J. Dougherty
Charles J. Dougherty

Recommend this University as an employer.

Former Employee - Administrative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere, nice work environment.

Cons

Not much chance for job advancement.

Just Ok.

I worked at Duquesne University part-time

Pros

Clerical staff is nice to work with.

Cons

Managment is stuffy and overly political.

great and friendly place

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I obtained my master degree in duquesne university and also worked as a graduate assistant there in over one year. Most people I have worked with are very nice. The working schedule is flexible. I was happy when I worked and studied there.

Cons

I don't really see any obvious cons in Duquesne. But I do think Duquesne focuses more on undergrads since it is a small university. For graduate students like us, there maybe less chances to get exposure like undergrads or other students in larger and known universities.

I don't really have advice to management at this time. Just keep up good work. thanks!

Working with the writing staff of the Duquesne Duke, I learned efficient methods that made me a better writer.

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff was always open to hearing new story ideas and pursing stories that are outside the box.

Cons

There was competition among writers to make the weekly budget for the paper and producing a quality paper each week

Nice work environment.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly staff in general and good benefits.

Cons

Limited advancement for staff unless you are faculty.

Glad I left when I did.

Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are still some wonderful people there. The campus and immediate area are cleaner and better-kept than they used to be. Holy Days=free vacation!!! If you're in a position where you are 100% able to keep your head down--a non-management administrative or maintenance position, for instance--it's probably not a terrible choice.

Cons

It was pretty scary by the time I left. The old, highly inclusive culture was eroding. The administration was getting very heavily into micromanagement. I loved the years of working to serve the students and the community, but I was genuinely frightened by some of the directions things were taking. I wouldn't recommend working here unless you are actively comfortable with an increasingly theologically-oriented and organizationally rigid environment. (And some people ARE. It's OK if you are. But the University I went to work for in the John Murray days... that place no longer exists. I miss it.) It also should be noted that there are still plenty of safety issues in the neighborhood. Those nuisance bars on Fifth are right in your face; I believe there's still a methadone clinic down the street... just be careful. It's very sketchy at night.

Both Good and Bad

I have been working at Duquesne University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent including: health, vision, dental, tuition remission, generous 403b contributions, and paid holiday and vacation time.

Cons

The culture varies by department. However, it is overall a difficult place to find opportunities for advancement. There is a lot of bitterness and internal strife within and between certain departments which has resulted in a negative work environment at times.

Bring in more people who are passionate and hard working, and give them a reason to stay!

network engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

laid back, work was fun and not tiring. good people worked with me and always willing to teach me new things.

Cons

some days were slow where i just sat in the office for my whole shift. And sometimes to keep me busy i had to do meaningless chores.

i have a set weekly schedule of what you need your lower workers to do on a daily basis.

Inadequate resources, inadequate support, very bureaucratic and controlling

Former Employee - Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Duquesne University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Average employees are very kind and caring. Students very nice. Physical environment generally pleasant. Nice amount of vacation time and holidays.

Cons

Fighting over limited resources, bureaucracy very restrictive - university gets in its own way. Highly centralized, very hierarchical. Many internal obstacles interfere with day-to-day functioning. Gap between stated values and actual behavior.

Before you try to run a university like a business, understand first how a good business operates.

Great people to work with, terrible people to work for

Current Employee - Librarian in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Librarian in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Duquesne University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are wonderful and I enjoy what I do at Duquesne. The pay is very fair, although in my part-time position I have no benefits. Work environment is clean, safe and quiet. If you are looking only for job security, this is the place for you!

Cons

Managers at Duquesne micromanage, do not praise for work well done, resist change or any kind of innovation and can be punitive. Creativity is strongly discouraged. Employees are often asked to perform tasks outside of their job description with no additional compensation or recognition. Performance reviews are not based on actual performance: managers are not allowed to give more than a mediocre review of work. For three years, there were no raises. Many positions have a high rate of turnover due to poor managerial practice, part time nature of work, no chance of institutional advancement and no recognition for a job well done. If you are a hard-working, creative, forward-thinking person do NOT apply here.

Many jobs staffed by three or four part time workers should be turned into one full time position or one full time position with a part time position to assist. Workers should be rewarded and acknowledged for work performed outside of their job description. Managerial techniques sorely need review and some managers need to move on. Also, lessen bureaucracy to encourage creativity and innovation: the school would greatly benefit!