Durham Public Schools

Not yet rated.

Hugh Osteen

The Good & The Bad

Teacher (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsExcellent training and family atmostphere

ConsSalary, work-life balance, no opportunity for growth

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great place to work

Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, supportive school environment. Lovely place to teach and learn, and to help kids grow. Great professional development.

ConsResources- as in all public schools- were hard to come by at times.

Teacher support

ProsGreat atmosphere for first year and veteran teachers

ConsIt can feel that you don't have the support from administration

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away from DPS! Teachers and parents alike - stay away!!

Teacher @ Dps (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsLike-minded peer groups - all of us are very dissatisfied with DPS!

ConsAdmin assassination of teacher's reputation and integrity. School admin and Central Office will join together with known gang-members to fabricate lies/misinformation in order to fire Caucasian career teachers. Yet they will cast a blind eye to minority teachers dropping f-bombs in front of their own students and even worse - retain teachers arrested for identity theft who also engage in marijuana smoking conversations with students inside the classroom.
    Unbelievably inept, corrupt, racist, bigoted, destined to fail school district ----- and they don't seem to care. Hispanics and Blacks get all the attention while the Asian and Caucasian higher performing student is left to their own devices.
    Stay away at all costs. Put your kids in other school districts or private or charter schools. You've been warned. Is it any wonder why the home of Duke University has arguably the worst performing school district in the entire state? Is it any wonder why Durham has one of the largest number of both private and charter schools in the entire nation given our population? One answer is simple......durham public schools.

Horrible working conditions!

ProsExcellent co-workers

Amazingly diverse student population.

They give all teachers MacBook pros to use

ConsThis is a fear driven school district.

They fire teachers all the time during the school year. Even first year teachers are not safe.

Morale is very low!

You will be required to take an unbelievably high amount of abuse from the parents and students.

The recent lawsuit against the district has the school administrators terrified to take any disciplinary action against the students. Principals discourage you from writing discipline referrals.

It is very difficult to get substitute teachers to come to the rougher schools. You will be pulled into covering for other teachers during your planing/meeting time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the new Superintendent comes in and cleans house. You really have a lot of work ahead of you. It would be great to see you focus on improving teacher morale. The state is responsible for the poor pay, but this district is responsible for the poor working conditions.

Extreme micromanagement and meetings are loved here

Teaching (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsIt is a very worthwhile student body. They can be fun, sometimes very stressful, but ultimately leave one with a great sense of satisfaction in terms of feeling like the work you do matters.

ConsLots of requirements in terms of papers, how you do formative and sumative assessments and when you do them, how you post standards, lots of meetings that are not about anything relevant to the classroom

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us teach, we are trained. Teaching is like an art in many ways. Would an artist do good work if they were told exactly what colors to use, and how many straight lines vs. curved lines to use?

Single Mother working on a super fantastic flexible schedule

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs a single parent and substitute teacher, I have a flexible work schedule.

ConsNot enough compensation or benefits for the teachers working hard in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay all of the teachers at the same pay rate and scale as upper management, especially since they have all worked hard to achieve advanced degrees as quality teachers and employees.

Teacher

ProsGreat teachers!
    Opportunities for stipends to supplement income.
    Many professional development opportunities.

Cons5th year on pay freeze. (Statewide)
    Risk of losing Master's pay, longevity pay, and National Board pay. (Statewide)
    District level administrators seem uninterested and uninvolved in school level issues.

Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat faculty, great students, positive environment

ConsNc is a horrible state to teach in

Administration at School District Level, does not know how to handle things and follow due process.

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsSupportive administration at school level

ConsDistrict is inconsistent when implementing a new program for the students. It often changes within the same school year.

Worked for Durham Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!