Durham School Services

Love/Hate kind of thing.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Cumberland, RI
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Cumberland, RI

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time

Pros

Enjoy most of the people I work with. Great job for retirees and people with young children. Flexible hours, opportunities for extra hours.

Cons

Lowest paid drivers/monitors in the state of Rhode Island. No bonuses, horrible health benefits if that is what you want to call it. No follow through with management (if there is valid proof and enough customer/public/employee complaints about safety and other wrong doing with an employee, it is overlooked because of fear of retaliation) Paychecks are almost always wrong/short if you get one at all. Everything is by seniority, equality amongst employees is pathetic. Dispatch (one person) is overworked but continues to be amazing at what she does and same goes for our safety manager... they go above and beyond, but cannot seam to get ahead due to their responsibilities and lack of help.

Be more approachable, step out and be one with your employees. Follow through with things that are clearly stated in the handbook when it comes to these specific sections: Safety Violations, Misconduct, Breach of Company policies or performance standards. Be more trustworthy, if something is said in confidence then that is what is expected. Recognize the ones that are willing and able to work that are there everyday because we love what we do.

A well organized, safety focused company that balances valuing their employees and their contract holders.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is kept safe for the employees and therefore the students we serve. I like that we are encouraged to form strong friendships and co worker bonds. They even encourage volunteerism in the community. We get benefits such as health coverage, 401k and training opportunities. I guess what I like best is that Durham School Services hires the most qualified applicants and values women in top leadership positions.

Cons

Still waiting to see some cons.

Good Job but not enough hours. Great if you need part time or are retired.

Current Employee - Bus Driver  in  Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company with great co-workers . The schedule is flexible and if you kid is in the district they will let you drive your kids field trips.

Cons

Not enough hours. Trips were supposed to be rotated and done by seniority however a lot of the time the ones who cried for trips got them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gives me the freedom of being away from work while at work.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great part time job, nice to have down time in the middle of the day.

Cons

Pay is not that great, but money isn't everything.

It was a great experience for my first year driving with my CDL.

Former Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Durham School Services as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I liked the freedom. Benefits are that you get to enjoy some charters for free.

Cons

Sometime it was very disorganize.

Make sure everyone understand that they need to be professional.

Management does what he wants

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Durham School Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good equipment . Friendly follow drivers.

Cons

Manager tries to change contract company has with the drivers' association without proper procedure . Does the home office even know whats going on at its CSCs .

You can't change rules just to suite you . There are proper ways of doing it .

professional licensed worker

Current Employee - Professional Professional Okay  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Professional Professional Okay in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

everyone believes its an ok place to work.

Cons

I think it is an okay place to work.

ok

Worst company I have worked for in my 30 years of CDL driving.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Milton, FL
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Milton, FL

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll love it here if you can take the lies and deception.

Cons

You do not get paid for the initial mandatory training. Thereafter $8.50 reimbursement once a month for one hour of training.

Treat your workers as you would like to be treated. Hire managers that have proficiency behind the wheel before blindly leading others. We already have a great PR man leading our Nation, Durham doesn't need the like in their offices.

Good Job for seasonal work

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Phila, PA

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good job for seasonal wok, good hours, and pay.The upper management treated you well. and the CDL training was a very good for future driving possibilities.

Cons

Co-workers were not very supportive and did not take the job seriously. Too much controversy and no team work

Conduct better interviewing process, have regular meetings to discuss job issues and give more training on how to handle difficult situations that my arise

It's all about their profit, not the drivers or the school districts children.

Current Employee - Busdriver  in  Milton, FL
    Current Employee - Busdriver in Milton, FL

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Because we care about the kids.

Cons

UN safe buses, lies from management. Refusing to negotiate our contract, after the ruling in April, that we have a union. Our AC units don't work, and when parents called to complain, they told parents it was because we open and close the doors frequently, so the cool escapes. Low pay, and rigs year they have cut runs, and hours, and we are told we will not be getting a raise.

When we have tried to bring our issues to management at meetings, they have told us, this is not the time or the place. We need a manager, not someone who was working in dispatch, and had never driven a bus before.

Worked for Durham School Services? Contribute to the Community!