Durham School Services

Durham School Services Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

David Duke

Pros
  • The schedule is flexible for a part-time college student, retired person, or a stay at home mom with extra time to spare (in 4 reviews)

• Great part time job, nice to have down time in the middle of the day (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is poor and very rude (in 4 reviews)

• low morale poor management low pay no benefits (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Its not Durham School Services/ Durham Service Company

Former Employee - HVAC Sales Manager in Owens Cross Roads, AL
    Former Employee - HVAC Sales Manager in Owens Cross Roads, AL

I worked at Durham School Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the Business model and it helped company grow fast.

Cons

Directly affected by economy and weather

Upper management were helpful and educating during time there.

School Bus driver for Durham.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a fairly good route. It would be nice if they gave us enough time in between so that we are not always late to the next route.

Cons

No being appreciated. The negative is always pointed out. Pointing out the positive would go a long way to helping moral.

Spend some money on your drivers. Show them that they are important.

Great experience.

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Durham School Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Drivers and Students interaction.

Cons

Middle Management...reactive instead of proactive. No organization skills.

Get involved. Listen to workers. Take management skill classes.

School Bus Driver

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Grayslake, IL
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Grayslake, IL

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bring children to work, good part-time pay, full CDL training and road test. At Grayslake, Illinois location, 6-week old babies can go on buses with Mom, Dad or Grandma/Grandpa. Pay is $14.70/hour, going up $14.80/hour in January 2015. I can pick my daughter up from school and bring my 2-year old along. No child care expenses.

Cons

It's hard work. Kids can be difficult to handle. I sort of feel that the route training is lacking, once a driver is on board.

Good management and co-workers with effort being made to continue to improve performance.

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Keller, TX
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Keller, TX

I worked at Durham School Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made major changes in policies to improve performance in school district with great results. Part of that was in improved training for drivers which benefited me as I was a new hire.

Cons

Part time work with large breaks in time between morning, noon and afternoon routes. Makes commuting multiple times a day expensive unless you stay at work with no pay. They offered health benefits but with part-time work not really affordable unless that is what you're after.

Love/Hate kind of thing.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Cumberland, RI
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Cumberland, RI

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time

Pros

Enjoy most of the people I work with. Great job for retirees and people with young children. Flexible hours, opportunities for extra hours.

Cons

Lowest paid drivers/monitors in the state of Rhode Island. No bonuses, horrible health benefits if that is what you want to call it. No follow through with management (if there is valid proof and enough customer/public/employee complaints about safety and other wrong doing with an employee, it is overlooked because of fear of retaliation) Paychecks are almost always wrong/short if you get one at all. Everything is by seniority, equality amongst employees is pathetic. Dispatch (one person) is overworked but continues to be amazing at what she does and same goes for our safety manager... they go above and beyond, but cannot seam to get ahead due to their responsibilities and lack of help.

Be more approachable, step out and be one with your employees. Follow through with things that are clearly stated in the handbook when it comes to these specific sections: Safety Violations, Misconduct, Breach of Company policies or performance standards. Be more trustworthy, if something is said in confidence then that is what is expected. Recognize the ones that are willing and able to work that are there everyday because we love what we do.

Doesn't care about safety or employees

Former Employee - Tech/Bus Driver in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Tech/Bus Driver in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Durham School Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary was fair. I enjoyed the co workers very much. They always complimented me on my smile. I arrived to work with a smile and was still left to work in an unsafe work environment.

Cons

I was injured three times while working for these blood suckers. I am unable to work for the rest of my life. They wanted me to sit in a chair for two three hour shifts and do nothing to avoid them paying workers comp. The doctor gave them documents stating I cannot sit, walk, stand for prolonged periods of time. No pushing, no pulling, no lifting, no kneeling and no squatting. This made my injuries worse. I have maxed out my credit cards due to no income for six months. I was denied ss disability and no settlement as of yet. I have developed ulcerous colitis and a tumor in my colon due to all the stress this company has put me through. They are slowly killing me from the inside out.

Walk in my shoes for the past year and a half then let me know what you would do or how you feel going through all this. My child moved with his dad due to me being in a wheel chair and unable to care for him. I hope you are happy to make me one more person to lose everything I worked so hard to have. Do you love your kids? Do you want them in your life everyday? Ya well I wanted all that too but you pulled that part of my life forever. Fix this! FIX IT NOW!

A well organized, safety focused company that balances valuing their employees and their contract holders.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is kept safe for the employees and therefore the students we serve. I like that we are encouraged to form strong friendships and co worker bonds. They even encourage volunteerism in the community. We get benefits such as health coverage, 401k and training opportunities. I guess what I like best is that Durham School Services hires the most qualified applicants and values women in top leadership positions.

Cons

Still waiting to see some cons.

Good Job but not enough hours. Great if you need part time or are retired.

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company with great co-workers . The schedule is flexible and if you kid is in the district they will let you drive your kids field trips.

Cons

Not enough hours. Trips were supposed to be rotated and done by seniority however a lot of the time the ones who cried for trips got them

Gives me the freedom of being away from work while at work.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at Durham School Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great part time job, nice to have down time in the middle of the day.

Cons

Pay is not that great, but money isn't everything.

Durham School Services Photos