Duty Free Americas

A Pleasant Experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High paced, great customers, purchasing experience, vacation/insurance benefits,

Cons

too many inventories, late night flights sometimes overnight, ,

consider repaying unplanned late nights with time off or compensation

Luxury Specialist

Current Employee - Luxury Specialist (Fancy for Sale Associate In the Luxry Section) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide me with a bus/train card so I ride for free, the paid holidays that is if you are lucky enough to be off

Cons

Poor management, no raises only "promotions" which are very favoritism driven, high turn over rate because of this not to many good qualified people stay, in my position I can not leave my section to sell but my goal is incredibly hard to reach especially without leaving the section. you might as well look at the commission as a "possible bonus system" you have to reach at least 80% of your monthly goal amount to earn only 0.02% of your monthly goal amount. Overall, it's not a fun job, managers tend to be very unhelpful and they gossip entirely too much.

Upper management need to care about the employees, train the store managers and have flexible work schedules.

More compassion and respect

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Meeting people from around the world.

Cons

Management has no respect for seniority. They don't care of people lie to get sales. Management needs to take classes on management and not just think of the sales. If you have happy employees you get happy customers and with happy customers you get better sales.

If you have happy employees you get happy customers and with happy customers you get better sales. Take sensitivity training. Do not show blatant favoritism. If people come to you saying that one person is putting down a race, sexual preference do something about it.

Think twice

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consistent pay, international customers, opportunity to make commission

Cons

Micro managed, gossip atmosphere, lazy buyers, inflexibility as far as schedule, poor communication

Have more regard for the employees. Set a positive tone daily. Understand that there is not always something to do and forced alienation only promote tension and lowers the morale in the store.

Eye Opener

Former Employee - Store Manager in Baudette, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baudette, MN

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interacting with happy customers. Working with store staff.

Cons

I was hired as a store manager and after about five days on the job received an email from my boss stating all her managers are expected to come in early, stay late, come in on days off, and even work holidays (all on a paltry salary). The paperwork and micromanaging were off the charts. The staffing was very short and any shortfalls were expected to be covered by the manager. The previous manager worked one month completely by himself, 7 days a week for 12 hours a day....

Pay your people a little more than they deserve. They'll stay longer and save you money in the long run. Ditch the micromanagement efforts. And try and get rid of some paperwork that doesn't help to run the store.

Actively looking for a another job, I cant wait to get out of this company

Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good exposure to meet people from different places, nothing else

Cons

Head managers are afraid of the owners and treat employees really bad, they dont care about employess at all. Schedules are insane! very long hours...salaries are low in comparison with expectations. Zero tolerance for mistakes.

Definetely management needs to update their policies, promotions, happy employees produce more than miserable ones. Reviewieng company policies is a must.

Pure misery

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Meeting people from all around the world, The Airport it's self is great.

Cons

Management admitted they no longer care about the employees. Cutting hours, way to much managers and supervisors. The push us into sales that are hard to obtain when there are no passengers to sell to. They don't realize that with happy employees, you get happy customers and with happy customers you get good sales. But by telling us not to talk, socialize and stand in your assigned area, and never ever being told you are doing any kind of good makes for very poor sales. Won't work with scheduling issues such as kids, school and another job. They don't care. Period, end of subject! They yell at you and degrade you on the sales floor in front of customers.

Care a bit more about your employees, your have happy employees you get better sales. Encourage growth, tell people once in a while that they are doing a good job. Thank them!

Do it if you NEED the money

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment (airport; boutique), luxury vendors, great customers

Cons

too much micromanaging, it was like the managers were obsessed with the employees. Very early or Very late shift hours; it was hard to balance life outside of work.

They hire within first, and it was very easy to move up. A lot of social promotion was going on at the time I was there.

Revamp Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meeting a lot of fun people.

Cons

Management has no respect for employees, very high turn around. Unreasonable goals. Working every holiday. Company says in employee handbook that the strive for employee satisfaction. So far that is an epic failure. Very low morale. Breaks are often forgotten.

Respect employees, treat them great and they will stay.

This is a horrible greedy company that will always choose the cheepest way, no rom for advancement, lowest pay possible.

Former Employee - Inventory Clerk, Head Stock in Port Huron, MI
    Former Employee - Inventory Clerk, Head Stock in Port Huron, MI

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Will hire just about anyone tat can pass a background check.

Cons

Heavy workload with very low pay even in supervisor level, VERY LOW PAY, no appreciation, extremely high turnover rate, no raises or advancement opportunities.