Duty Free Americas

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jerome Falic

Do it if you NEED the money

Assistant Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe environment (airport; boutique), luxury vendors, great customers

Constoo much micromanaging, it was like the managers were obsessed with the employees. Very early or Very late shift hours; it was hard to balance life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey hire within first, and it was very easy to move up. A lot of social promotion was going on at the time I was there.

Eye Opener

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Baudette, MN

ProsInteracting with happy customers. Working with store staff.

ConsI was hired as a store manager and after about five days on the job received an email from my boss stating all her managers are expected to come in early, stay late, come in on days off, and even work holidays (all on a paltry salary). The paperwork and micromanaging were off the charts. The staffing was very short and any shortfalls were expected to be covered by the manager. The previous manager worked one month completely by himself, 7 days a week for 12 hours a day....

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people a little more than they deserve. They'll stay longer and save you money in the long run. Ditch the micromanagement efforts. And try and get rid of some paperwork that doesn't help to run the store.

Actively looking for a another job, I cant wait to get out of this company

Manager (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsGood exposure to meet people from different places, nothing else

ConsHead managers are afraid of the owners and treat employees really bad, they dont care about employess at all. Schedules are insane! very long hours...salaries are low in comparison with expectations. Zero tolerance for mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinetely management needs to update their policies, promotions, happy employees produce more than miserable ones. Reviewieng company policies is a must.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pure misery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeeting people from all around the world, The Airport it's self is great.

ConsManagement admitted they no longer care about the employees. Cutting hours, way to much managers and supervisors. The push us into sales that are hard to obtain when there are no passengers to sell to. They don't realize that with happy employees, you get happy customers and with happy customers you get good sales. But by telling us not to talk, socialize and stand in your assigned area, and never ever being told you are doing any kind of good makes for very poor sales. Won't work with scheduling issues such as kids, school and another job. They don't care. Period, end of subject! They yell at you and degrade you on the sales floor in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare a bit more about your employees, your have happy employees you get better sales. Encourage growth, tell people once in a while that they are doing a good job. Thank them!

Revamp Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMeeting a lot of fun people.

ConsManagement has no respect for employees, very high turn around. Unreasonable goals. Working every holiday. Company says in employee handbook that the strive for employee satisfaction. So far that is an epic failure. Very low morale. Breaks are often forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees, treat them great and they will stay.

This is a horrible greedy company that will always choose the cheepest way, no rom for advancement, lowest pay possible.

Inventory Clerk, Head Stock (Former Employee)
    Port Huron, MI

ProsWill hire just about anyone tat can pass a background check.

ConsHeavy workload with very low pay even in supervisor level, VERY LOW PAY, no appreciation, extremely high turnover rate, no raises or advancement opportunities.

Never again

ProsNothing good to say about it.

ConsPark and ride, Airport Security, Shortest breaks, no raises ever, terrible management

Always busy.

Hollywood, FL

ProsHas stores in airports and throughout US boarders

ConsSalary is not to par compared to same market

It is what you make it and I learned a lot, but what a relief to be gone.

Corporate Office (Former Employee)
    Hollywood, FL

ProsGood technology to work with, autonomy, and nice people at the corporate office. Every other Friday off was nice as well as little or no travel.

ConsYou only will get a raise if the owners feel like it. There is no policy ro cost of living adjustments. The upper management is only concerned about their own welfare and almost completely ingnore ereryone else. The morale is horrible since pay was cut over 2 years ago and only addressed once over a year. Managers are left to do whatever they want, and there is little to no interaction or leadership from the COO, CEO, or CFO.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven a minimal amount of leadership would be an improvement over the current hands-off style. Stop ignoring your employees and give them the common courtesy they deserve.

Good place to work with abysmal pay and almost overwhelming workload

Helpdesk Support Engineer (Former Employee)
    Hollywood, FL

ProsThe people I worked with were friendly,and the environment was great. While sometimes our workload was too much, working with people that you are friendly helps alot.

ConsThe pay was extremely low for the work performed. The lower paid employees would have to be on-call and get woken up at odd hours of the night and morning for one week a month, which almost destroyed the entire experience. There is no bonus for being on-call, and you would never get to come in late because you stayed up 4 hours the night before taking calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing on-call is a horrendous experience, especially because you cannot make a mistake without it causing endless hours of work, so there should be some motivation in taking the calls, for example extra pay, or extra time off. It Almost soured by entire experience with Duty Free Americas.

Worked for Duty Free Americas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duty Free Americas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duty Free Americas CEO Jerome Falic. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Duty Free Americas employees.