Duty Free Americas

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jerome Falic

Great place to get global experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork closely with senior level management. Wide variety of challenging tasks and projects.

ConsOverworked and underpaid. At times workload is unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the talents of your junior level staff.

Always busy.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsHas stores in airports and throughout US boarders

ConsSalary is not to par compared to same market

Good place to work with abysmal pay and almost overwhelming workload

Helpdesk Support Engineer (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsThe people I worked with were friendly,and the environment was great. While sometimes our workload was too much, working with people that you are friendly helps alot.

ConsThe pay was extremely low for the work performed. The lower paid employees would have to be on-call and get woken up at odd hours of the night and morning for one week a month, which almost destroyed the entire experience. There is no bonus for being on-call, and you would never get to come in late because you stayed up 4 hours the night before taking calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing on-call is a horrendous experience, especially because you cannot make a mistake without it causing endless hours of work, so there should be some motivation in taking the calls, for example extra pay, or extra time off. It Almost soured by entire experience with Duty Free Americas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DFA was awesome...now not so great to work at.

Store Supervisor (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsYou meet interesting people. The tasks are very easy that they ask of you.

ConsI worked there 3 years and got canned for "cell phone" use. The one I worked at was very shady and was run poorly. From what I hear they have cut everything that was once good about that place. They cut hours, pay, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, employee christmas party, everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was strong when they had good leaders as managers. Ones that have good communication as well. They should go back to the approach they used to have with the bonuses and promoting from within the company...but it doesnt look like they will be doing that. The company had a lot going for them and was a great place to work for...i cant say that anymore.

Duty Free Americas

Supervisor (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsYou get a lot of experience dealing with every facet of retail sales. And the discount isn't bad either. 25%!

ConsYou pretty much have to work every holiday - canadian and american.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be a little bit more considerate of your employees.

Do it if you NEED the money

Assistant Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe environment (airport; boutique), luxury vendors, great customers

Constoo much micromanaging, it was like the managers were obsessed with the employees. Very early or Very late shift hours; it was hard to balance life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey hire within first, and it was very easy to move up. A lot of social promotion was going on at the time I was there.

Revamp Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMeeting a lot of fun people.

ConsManagement has no respect for employees, very high turn around. Unreasonable goals. Working every holiday. Company says in employee handbook that the strive for employee satisfaction. So far that is an epic failure. Very low morale. Breaks are often forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees, treat them great and they will stay.

EHHH..

Store Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe pro for working here is that its in the airport and that opens doors. TSA cleared an customs cleared. They also really dont pressure you on your sales. A lot of employee coverage is also a big plus.

ConsOk. unless your the morning manager, ur stuck working an ugly schedule, if ur new that means fri,sat and sun all closing.... when i say closing it means, until the last international flight leaves. Some times 9 sometimes 3 am. You're at the mercy of the airlines.. delays etc.. Upper management is in the same airport and dictate your every move. EVERY MOVE.. THEY LIVE BY WRITE UPS. Their is 3 store managers per store not 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE let us be managers and run a business. Dont micromanage us.

Eye Opener

Store Manager (Former Employee) Baudette, MN

ProsInteracting with happy customers. Working with store staff.

ConsI was hired as a store manager and after about five days on the job received an email from my boss stating all her managers are expected to come in early, stay late, come in on days off, and even work holidays (all on a paltry salary). The paperwork and micromanaging were off the charts. The staffing was very short and any shortfalls were expected to be covered by the manager. The previous manager worked one month completely by himself, 7 days a week for 12 hours a day....

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people a little more than they deserve. They'll stay longer and save you money in the long run. Ditch the micromanagement efforts. And try and get rid of some paperwork that doesn't help to run the store.

Actively looking for a another job, I cant wait to get out of this company

Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGood exposure to meet people from different places, nothing else

ConsHead managers are afraid of the owners and treat employees really bad, they dont care about employess at all. Schedules are insane! very long hours...salaries are low in comparison with expectations. Zero tolerance for mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinetely management needs to update their policies, promotions, happy employees produce more than miserable ones. Reviewieng company policies is a must.

Worked for Duty Free Americas? Contribute to the Community!