Duty Free Americas

Jerome Falic

There is no TEAM

Former Employee - Sales Support in Jf Kennedy Ap, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Jf Kennedy Ap, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get discounts throughout the year and an even bigger discount during the holidays. There are great people working there. Had fun working with my coworkers.

Cons

If an item goes missing they won't check the cameras its far easier to blame it on you. Almost as if you have full responsibility for every single item purchased for the flight. There not enough time to count the bags before hand to make sure everything matches the manifest. Management doesn't want to take responsibility for anything and they will avoid you when you need them. They act as if a bag never went missing when they were in my shoes.

Your system is broken.

Kindergarten for Adults

Current Employee - Luxury Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Luxury Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot from the free seminars they send you to and often get some free food or gifts from the brands holding the seminars. You also receive mediocre pay from commission aside from your hourly salary. Some managers are also keen on telling you when you've done a good job and praise you on your small victories at work.

Cons

Management thinks they make the rules and that you have to follow them and they treat you like a misbehaving kindergartener. You are not allowed to move away from your area or be too close together with your co-workers. It's a militant environment without the military pay or compensation. You're giving rules to abide by such as not sharing credit card registers and not being able to stand behind the show counters and to always be doing something. You also cannot leave the door area for a full hour (now hour and a half). You have to stand at the door front mandatory and yet you have to make your full commissions goal or else you aren't paid commission. So if you count on money from commissions to pay bills and such, don't. This is always up in the air based on how many customers you get, the amount of goal you receive, and if the passengers are Domestic flyers or International since we can't sell domestic sales. It's stressful with daily counts of all merchandise and stocking and if there is stolen merchandise on your shift, you are penalized for it even if you are the only associate on the floor during a full rush. You are sequestered in your area and are screamed at on the floor by management if you do not stay there.

Compensation is key. Also being recognized. Everyone likes to hear they're doing a good job and that can help them through a rough day, especially coming from management. It's important that if an employee does a lot for you in order to help you out, you try to acknowledge the effort. Valuing customers as well as employees is a huge area for improvement.

Luxury Specialist

Current Employee - Luxury Specialist (Fancy for Sale Associate In the Luxry Section) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They provide me with a bus/train card so I ride for free, the paid holidays that is if you are lucky enough to be off

Cons

Poor management, no raises only "promotions" which are very favoritism driven, high turn over rate because of this not to many good qualified people stay, in my position I can not leave my section to sell but my goal is incredibly hard to reach especially without leaving the section. you might as well look at the commission as a "possible bonus system" you have to reach at least 80% of your monthly goal amount to earn only 0.02% of your monthly goal amount. Overall, it's not a fun job, managers tend to be very unhelpful and they gossip entirely too much.

Upper management need to care about the employees, train the store managers and have flexible work schedules.

A Pleasant Experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High paced, great customers, purchasing experience, vacation/insurance benefits,

Cons

too many inventories, late night flights sometimes overnight, ,

consider repaying unplanned late nights with time off or compensation

More compassion and respect

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Meeting people from around the world.

Cons

Management has no respect for seniority. They don't care of people lie to get sales. Management needs to take classes on management and not just think of the sales. If you have happy employees you get happy customers and with happy customers you get better sales.

If you have happy employees you get happy customers and with happy customers you get better sales. Take sensitivity training. Do not show blatant favoritism. If people come to you saying that one person is putting down a race, sexual preference do something about it.

Think twice

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Consistent pay, international customers, opportunity to make commission

Cons

Micro managed, gossip atmosphere, lazy buyers, inflexibility as far as schedule, poor communication

Have more regard for the employees. Set a positive tone daily. Understand that there is not always something to do and forced alienation only promote tension and lowers the morale in the store.

Eye Opener

Former Employee - Store Manager in Baudette, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baudette, MN

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with happy customers. Working with store staff.

Cons

I was hired as a store manager and after about five days on the job received an email from my boss stating all her managers are expected to come in early, stay late, come in on days off, and even work holidays (all on a paltry salary). The paperwork and micromanaging were off the charts. The staffing was very short and any shortfalls were expected to be covered by the manager. The previous manager worked one month completely by himself, 7 days a week for 12 hours a day....

Pay your people a little more than they deserve. They'll stay longer and save you money in the long run. Ditch the micromanagement efforts. And try and get rid of some paperwork that doesn't help to run the store.

Actively looking for a another job, I cant wait to get out of this company

Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to meet people from different places, nothing else

Cons

Head managers are afraid of the owners and treat employees really bad, they dont care about employess at all. Schedules are insane! very long hours...salaries are low in comparison with expectations. Zero tolerance for mistakes.

Definetely management needs to update their policies, promotions, happy employees produce more than miserable ones. Reviewieng company policies is a must.

Pure misery

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Meeting people from all around the world, The Airport it's self is great.

Cons

Management admitted they no longer care about the employees. Cutting hours, way to much managers and supervisors. The push us into sales that are hard to obtain when there are no passengers to sell to. They don't realize that with happy employees, you get happy customers and with happy customers you get good sales. But by telling us not to talk, socialize and stand in your assigned area, and never ever being told you are doing any kind of good makes for very poor sales. Won't work with scheduling issues such as kids, school and another job. They don't care. Period, end of subject! They yell at you and degrade you on the sales floor in front of customers.

Care a bit more about your employees, your have happy employees you get better sales. Encourage growth, tell people once in a while that they are doing a good job. Thank them!

Do it if you NEED the money

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment (airport; boutique), luxury vendors, great customers

Cons

too much micromanaging, it was like the managers were obsessed with the employees. Very early or Very late shift hours; it was hard to balance life outside of work.

They hire within first, and it was very easy to move up. A lot of social promotion was going on at the time I was there.