dutyfreeamericas.com

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
1.7

Jerome Falic

It is what you make it and I learned a lot, but what a relief to be gone.

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas

Pros

Good technology to work with, autonomy, and nice people at the corporate office. Every other Friday off was nice as well as little or no travel.

Cons

You only will get a raise if the owners feel like it. There is no policy ro cost of living adjustments. The upper management is only concerned about their own welfare and almost completely ingnore ereryone else. The morale is horrible since pay was cut over 2 years ago and only addressed once over a year. Managers are left to do whatever they want, and there is little to no interaction or leadership from the COO, CEO, or CFO.

Even a minimal amount of leadership would be an improvement over the current hands-off style. Stop ignoring your employees and give them the common courtesy they deserve.

Good place to work with abysmal pay and almost overwhelming workload

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support Engineer in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support Engineer in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas

Pros

The people I worked with were friendly,and the environment was great. While sometimes our workload was too much, working with people that you are friendly helps alot.

Cons

The pay was extremely low for the work performed. The lower paid employees would have to be on-call and get woken up at odd hours of the night and morning for one week a month, which almost destroyed the entire experience. There is no bonus for being on-call, and you would never get to come in late because you stayed up 4 hours the night before taking calls.

Being on-call is a horrendous experience, especially because you cannot make a mistake without it causing endless hours of work, so there should be some motivation in taking the calls, for example extra pay, or extra time off. It Almost soured by entire experience with Duty Free Americas.

EHHH..

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Duty Free Americas

Pros

The pro for working here is that its in the airport and that opens doors. TSA cleared an customs cleared. They also really dont pressure you on your sales. A lot of employee coverage is also a big plus.

Cons

Ok. unless your the morning manager, ur stuck working an ugly schedule, if ur new that means fri,sat and sun all closing.... when i say closing it means, until the last international flight leaves. Some times 9 sometimes 3 am. You're at the mercy of the airlines.. delays etc.. Upper management is in the same airport and dictate your every move. EVERY MOVE.. THEY LIVE BY WRITE UPS. Their is 3 store managers per store not 1.

PLEASE let us be managers and run a business. Dont micromanage us.

DFA was awesome...now not so great to work at.

Former Employee - Store Supervisor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Store Supervisor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas

Pros

You meet interesting people. The tasks are very easy that they ask of you.

Cons

I worked there 3 years and got canned for "cell phone" use. The one I worked at was very shady and was run poorly. From what I hear they have cut everything that was once good about that place. They cut hours, pay, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, employee christmas party, everything.

The company was strong when they had good leaders as managers. Ones that have good communication as well. They should go back to the approach they used to have with the bonuses and promoting from within the company...but it doesnt look like they will be doing that. The company had a lot going for them and was a great place to work for...i cant say that anymore.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas

Pros

You get a lot of experience dealing with every facet of retail sales. And the discount isn't bad either. 25%!

Cons

You pretty much have to work every holiday - canadian and american.

You should be a little bit more considerate of your employees.

Great place to get global experience

I worked at Duty Free Americas

Pros

Work closely with senior level management. Wide variety of challenging tasks and projects.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. At times workload is unrealistic.

Value the talents of your junior level staff.