Duval County Public School

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
2.6

Nikolai P. Vitti, Ed.D.

Pros
  • Benefits are good, summers off are great, free professional development toward renewing your certificate, some children are wonderful to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There are some great people working for the district who are dedicated to the mission (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, log hours and limited room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• student behavior is out of control and admins do nothing about it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I have served as a teacher, math coach, instructional coach and currently as a reading coach.

Current Employee - Reading Coach in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Reading Coach in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with children is my passion, and I have had many opportunities to grow professionally through training and by becoming an academic coach. I now am able to assist the teachers and the students which makes my job that much more fulfilling.

Cons

Leadership at both the district and school level changes frequently, and the curriculum used in schools is not solidified. Curriculum Guide formats and lessons change on almost a yearly basis.

District level personnel need to become more involved in the data-driven decision making process within the schools, and should be present more at low performing schools. Schools are in need of resources in order to show improvement and an increase in student proficiency, and some of these schools are falling through the cracks.

It's a job. If you can make it work for you, great.

I worked at Duval County Public School

Pros

For the most part, you're left to do your job as you see fit with little interference. Most people walk out the door exactly on time so there's little overtime requirements unless you just choose to work over. Never required to work weekends so if you're looking for a 9-5, with ok pay, then this is an ok job.

Cons

A lot of petty, small-minded people work here who do the absolute bare-minimum to keep their jobs. Very few "exceptional" employees stay there for long so you're surrounded by people who are just there for a paycheck and a pension. If you a go-getter who likes to accomplish things you will need to dial back your expectations. It can take months to accomplish the simplest things. A huge amount of institutional inertia exists here and few will want to lift a finger to help you.

Not much support

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Working with the students is a plus.

Cons

Lack of resources is very disappointing.

Invest more into your teachers.

challenging, rewarding

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk, Civil Service, (Now Retired) in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Today was remarkable. The test scores I entered were some of the highest I have seen in a long time......

Cons

DCPS is very understanding with family obligations but at the same time work assignments have to finshed in a timley manner, benefits, work hours, and enviroment were very satisfing.

Schools to be closed for summer months

Great Community, Close to the beach!

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Lot's of advancement opportunities, and great support system in the district. Great location to be at the beach. People enjoy their jobs.

Cons

The pay could be higher.

Unorganized

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, summers off are great, free professional development toward renewing your certificate, some children are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Too much work expected during too little time. No planning time given to non-core teachers. Non-core teachers get classes and a half to teach making overcrowded classrooms. Non-core teachers do not get the bi-weekly professional development that regular teachers get because we are babysitting their students for half a day. Little to no communication about school issues, events, etc with non-core teachers.

Communicate with ALL, not just a select few.

Too Political

Current Employee - Transportation
    Current Employee - Transportation

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with students and the community. Summer time off.

Cons

Leadership at school level have to much power. Corrections are hardly made. Limited guide for wrongful actions of leader. Growth is at a minimal unless you are a teacher. Parents are made to feel they are issues where as higher political positions cover up actions for leadership staff.

Ensure to your staff that students education is most important and not politics because he or she has a leadership position.

I worked with Duval County Public Schools for 29 years

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my job and the my co-workers. Sometimes the work was stressful but I work best under stress. I really enjoyed the time spent there.

Cons

Some of the challenges was meeting deadlines. Sometimes you have more than one deadline to meet at a time. Which made the job challenging.

The bigger a district the worse it becomes.

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

- If a temporary teacher they offer an alt. cert. process for under 1000 dollars which is cool
    - free basic healthcare
    -37.3 k start for 9 months of work is pretty decent

Cons

- very poor population (many schools title 1)
    -The surplus system kicks alot of teachers out and sends them to other schools
    - PLC early release days are worse than just teaching
    - teach to test, very little care about actually educating the youth

take lesson from st johns on school sizes and how to keep students/teachers happy

A horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Salary and benefits, but not great when you have to work day and night.

Cons

Student discipline is a nightmare and admins aren't supportive. Code of Conduct watered down year after year. Now students have to get in THREE fights before they get suspended. Classes overcrowded and teachers overworked.

Show some appreciation for the teachers in the trenches. Bully culture is worse with new superintendent.