Duval County Public School

Updated February 9, 2015
Updated February 9, 2015
2.8

Nikolai P. Vitti, Ed.D.

Pros
  • huge district for collaboration and professional development (in 4 reviews)

• Pretty good selary for a school teacher; good benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • student behavior is out of control and admins do nothing about it (in 4 reviews)

• low pay, log hours and limited room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working there

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of areas to advance, competitive salary, vast amount of knowledge within county

Cons

Some schools are challenging and require a lot of patience

Let teachers and staff know when they are doing well, encourage them more

disgrace to education

I have been working at Duval County Public School

Pros

benefits, days off, hours, job opportunities

Cons

unrealistic expectations, limited technology, pay

Awesome job

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to interact with children more often

Cons

Helps patience training ,improves personal goal management planns and ability

Communicate

Good workplace

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Training available.

Cons

Salary below average, no bonuses.

More flexabilty in cross training and changing positions

I am an itinerant media specialist for two elementary schools: Andrew Robinson and Brentwood.

Current Employee - Itinerant Media Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Itinerant Media Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Duval County hired me. I applied for jobs in St. Johns County for four years and was not hired.
    The people I work with are encouraging and there is a sense of community among teachers, administration, staff, and students.

Cons

The inner city schools in Duval County are difficult to work in because of the students' behavior problems. Classroom management is difficult because the students do not know how to listen and learn quietly. There are also low budget problems. The students are often from disadvantaged neighborhoods and there is often not much help from parents.

This is my opinion based on my experience. Someone else might have a different experience.

I am the school librarian and have had much difficulty in classroom management (throwing books off the shelves, fighting, running around the library, yelling, not following instructions, not sharing the few computers that we have, and so on). I think if another adult were present, it would help this problem very much. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the assistance of a parapro or a volunteer to help me with classroom management, especially at Brentwood Elementary. The problem there is intensely difficult, at least for me.

High School ELA Teacher

Current Employee - English Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The weekly training sessions are usually helpful and your coworkers will be what keep you going. At a school-based level, you will find some awesome principals and some awesome assistant principals, and there is always a deep sense of tradition and pride at the high school level.

Cons

The pay and benefits are atrocious. Be prepared to contribute a LOT to your medical/vision/dental package. The pay is very low, and many teacher do have to use public and charity assistance (food stamps and United Way are the most popular). Also, there is a very high turnover rate; principals, teachers, and AP's will be moved in and out of your school on a regular basis.

Keep principals in their schools for at least 3 years. The high turnover of school-based leadership kills morale and hurts the growth of new teachers.

Stressful

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good work calendar, free professional development,

Cons

Poor student behavior, long nonpaid work hours if you want to get a effective evaluation, inconsistency across the county in implementing policies

County needs to be broken up into smaller entitites.

I have served as a teacher, math coach, instructional coach and currently as a reading coach.

Current Employee - Reading Coach in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Reading Coach in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with children is my passion, and I have had many opportunities to grow professionally through training and by becoming an academic coach. I now am able to assist the teachers and the students which makes my job that much more fulfilling.

Cons

Leadership at both the district and school level changes frequently, and the curriculum used in schools is not solidified. Curriculum Guide formats and lessons change on almost a yearly basis.

District level personnel need to become more involved in the data-driven decision making process within the schools, and should be present more at low performing schools. Schools are in need of resources in order to show improvement and an increase in student proficiency, and some of these schools are falling through the cracks.

It's a job. If you can make it work for you, great.

I worked at Duval County Public School

Pros

For the most part, you're left to do your job as you see fit with little interference. Most people walk out the door exactly on time so there's little overtime requirements unless you just choose to work over. Never required to work weekends so if you're looking for a 9-5, with ok pay, then this is an ok job.

Cons

A lot of petty, small-minded people work here who do the absolute bare-minimum to keep their jobs. Very few "exceptional" employees stay there for long so you're surrounded by people who are just there for a paycheck and a pension. If you a go-getter who likes to accomplish things you will need to dial back your expectations. It can take months to accomplish the simplest things. A huge amount of institutional inertia exists here and few will want to lift a finger to help you.

Not much support

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Working with the students is a plus.

Cons

Lack of resources is very disappointing.

Invest more into your teachers.