Duval County Public School

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.6

Nikolai P. Vitti, Ed.D.

It's a job. If you can make it work for you, great.

I worked at Duval County Public School

Pros

For the most part, you're left to do your job as you see fit with little interference. Most people walk out the door exactly on time so there's little overtime requirements unless you just choose to work over. Never required to work weekends so if you're looking for a 9-5, with ok pay, then this is an ok job.

Cons

A lot of petty, small-minded people work here who do the absolute bare-minimum to keep their jobs. Very few "exceptional" employees stay there for long so you're surrounded by people who are just there for a paycheck and a pension. If you a go-getter who likes to accomplish things you will need to dial back your expectations. It can take months to accomplish the simplest things. A huge amount of institutional inertia exists here and few will want to lift a finger to help you.

Not much support

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Working with the students is a plus.

Cons

Lack of resources is very disappointing.

Invest more into your teachers.

challenging, rewarding

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk, Civil Service, (Now Retired)  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk, Civil Service, (Now Retired) in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Today was remarkable. The test scores I entered were some of the highest I have seen in a long time......

Cons

DCPS is very understanding with family obligations but at the same time work assignments have to finshed in a timley manner, benefits, work hours, and enviroment were very satisfing.

Schools to be closed for summer months

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Community, Close to the beach!

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Lot's of advancement opportunities, and great support system in the district. Great location to be at the beach. People enjoy their jobs.

Cons

The pay could be higher.

Unorganized

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are good, summers off are great, free professional development toward renewing your certificate, some children are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Too much work expected during too little time. No planning time given to non-core teachers. Non-core teachers get classes and a half to teach making overcrowded classrooms. Non-core teachers do not get the bi-weekly professional development that regular teachers get because we are babysitting their students for half a day. Little to no communication about school issues, events, etc with non-core teachers.

Communicate with ALL, not just a select few.

Too Political

Current Employee - Transportation
    Current Employee - Transportation

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with students and the community. Summer time off.

Cons

Leadership at school level have to much power. Corrections are hardly made. Limited guide for wrongful actions of leader. Growth is at a minimal unless you are a teacher. Parents are made to feel they are issues where as higher political positions cover up actions for leadership staff.

Ensure to your staff that students education is most important and not politics because he or she has a leadership position.

I worked with Duval County Public Schools for 29 years

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my job and the my co-workers. Sometimes the work was stressful but I work best under stress. I really enjoyed the time spent there.

Cons

Some of the challenges was meeting deadlines. Sometimes you have more than one deadline to meet at a time. Which made the job challenging.

The bigger a district the worse it becomes.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

- If a temporary teacher they offer an alt. cert. process for under 1000 dollars which is cool
    - free basic healthcare
    -37.3 k start for 9 months of work is pretty decent

Cons

- very poor population (many schools title 1)
    -The surplus system kicks alot of teachers out and sends them to other schools
    - PLC early release days are worse than just teaching
    - teach to test, very little care about actually educating the youth

take lesson from st johns on school sizes and how to keep students/teachers happy

A horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and benefits, but not great when you have to work day and night.

Cons

Student discipline is a nightmare and admins aren't supportive. Code of Conduct watered down year after year. Now students have to get in THREE fights before they get suspended. Classes overcrowded and teachers overworked.

Show some appreciation for the teachers in the trenches. Bully culture is worse with new superintendent.

Revolving door of bad ideas

Former Employee - Math Teacher  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some great people working for the district who are dedicated to the mission

Cons

Almost none of those great people are in charge, and when they get into management, they get browbeat by political mismanagement and are constantly afraid they will lose their job for the slightest deviation from the lock step of senior management

Show employees some of the loyalty they show you. Pay your IT people what they are worth. Stop spending huge amounts of money with poor planning and no additional staffing to support it, just because it worked in some school district somewhere.

Worked for Duval County Public School? Contribute to the Community!