Dycom

2.2

Steven E. Nielsen

Good place for IT

Current Employee - IT Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Dycom full-time

Pros

Working with cool technology.
    Pretty fun place to work - pot lucks, world cup watching, etc.
    Good IT management - they actually understand technology.

Cons

Pay is average to below average.
    Lack of planning at subs creates emergencies for IT.
    Need to learn things on your own - need more training.

Need more training.
    Get subs to communicate better.

Great skill builder, but it will wear you out.

Current Employee - IT Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Dycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a large construction company, Dycom puts a lot of emphasis on technology. There is a full-sized IT department that covers many different areas. They are't afraid to spend money on implementing new, cutting-edge solutions. Tons of exposure to different technologies and vendors that will build your skill set and resume faster than any company I've seen. Fun group of people to work with.

Cons

After working there a while, you realize the place is utter insanity. Everything is an emergency and it feels like you are constantly scrambling and under pressure to get things done last minute due to someone else's poor planning or unrealistic deadlines. The CIO is very personable and friendly up front, but is known for facilitating drama in the IT department and will purposely put different groups against each other. Insane hours without overtime pay (I worked many 70-80 hour work weeks). No work-life balance, received many phone calls after-hours, late at night, and during the weekend in a non-management role. Pay is mediocre compared to industry standards, benefits are "OK" but nothing to write home about. Sick days are taken out of vacation days. However, the place is so busy that you feel like you aren't able to even use the paid days off you are given with fear of falling behind in your responsibilities.

Understand that not everything can be "Priority #1" and that sometimes you need to have patience. Put more focus on employee work-life balance. Stop feeding into drama and arguments among employees and encourage co-operation between the matrix teams. Set realistic deadlines and keep a steady direction rather than changing the projects around every week.

Coder's paradise!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Dycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Proper IT shop. Software architecture team, quality assurance, business analysts, projects managers, dba's and infrastructure. Technology centric but not vendor centric. You will learn software best practices from the best and brightest in a variety of backgrounds (python, rails, .net and javascript etc).

Cons

Classic technology bribe. Learn the latest and greatest, be a part of an awesome team and get recognition by your peers. On the downside, expect to come in at 10 -15% less salary than market, no bonus pay for non-managers and you will undoubtedly be asked to work excessive hours ( 80 - 100 hrs/wk) from time to time.

Do a better job of appreciating your employees and treating the fairly.

Unprofessional, degrading environment in the IT department

Current Employee - Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Developer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Dycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome opportunities (to solve business problems)
    Growing company, continuing to make new acquisitions

Cons

Toxic Culture
    Yelling and screaming by the CIO
    Pitting people against each other
    High turnover due to toxic environment

Listen to the complaints
    Take swift action before more people leave

Good for increasing skills but then 'move on'.

Former Employee - Excel Report Development in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Excel Report Development in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Dycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of work for those who like to keep busy. As an Excel Programmer/Developer I was able to increase my knowledge and skills.

Cons

Never a 'nod' in my direction for problems solved. Though after one month a regular employee heard that 'upstairs' was happy with my work I started as the only Excel person and initiated their Excel reporting process. The company deals in cross-country real-time data obtained from tech gps boxes. If a 'bug' occurs it needs to be dealt with immediately. Management could not remain calm during such emergencies so a lot of aggressive pressure would occur. For me - faster is not better - I calmly approach an emergency.

It's who you know there. A 2nd needed supposedly Excel expert was hired but he kept asking me questions about Excel. His documentation was poor and his code, though it worked, was not very clear. But his friend worked in the same department about 2 ft away and they belonged to the same church group. After he was hired it was like I had not done anything of value for them. I eventually moved on because it was clear I had been edged out by 'nepotism'.

Upper management should get more involved with the rank and file. Your mid-management people seem to just be passing along orders and have neither the experience nor the confidence to 'look after' their people. I would have stayed if it had not been for the 'upstaging' and 'overtaking' by the new employee and his friend.

Tier 2 IT support Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Dycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people in other departments to socialize with. Great team work from other departments to get issues fixed.

Cons

Everyone keeps to themselves, people talk behind your back and make you feel small. If you don't have a strong soul, you will not survive.
    A lot of hypocrites
    No room for growth-you cannot move up to other departments. Management feels threaten by super stars with real talent and rather move up rookies instead.
    Management is not organized and lack in communication.
    Boring job, no learning experience
    this is more for lazy people not motivated to move up and just happy with a pay check week by week.

see who are the key players, give recognition to those who really are talented and get the job done. who go out of their ways with their skills and knowledge to fix an issue.
    ensure that real Tier 2 support work is being delegated rather than Level 1 support.

Meat-grinding frustration

I worked at Dycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Subsidiaries are passionate and capable service providers

Cons

Horrendous work environment, without quantified, strategic leadership from the top. Unethical behavior outwardly with the use of 1099 employees / per-diem payments and employee pay plans. Internal environment of mis-trust and questionable intelligence among senior management. Lack of vision on how to balance autonomy of the subs with consistent internal business rules.

Steve needs to communicate a plan and support management staff in the execution.

Great place if you want no life

I worked at Dycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

got to pay for my own cell phone and use my own credit card for extensive travel

Cons

no life, no appreciation, high turnover, and lousy benefits

Dycom's growth and greed cost employees

Former Employee - Data Entry for Subsidiary in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Data Entry for Subsidiary in West Chester, PA

I worked at Dycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job vs none

Cons

Dycom misleads employees with attractive benefits and then takes them away. Oppressive mandatory overtime; no work/life balance. Health benefits cost too much for mere standard. Use employees like office furniture; easily terminated when used.

Stop feeding into Dycom's greed and demand that when the company's doing well, so too should their employees. Get a Union in there.

I'm glad to be out of there

I worked at Dycom

Pros

Direct managers are approachable and great people to work for but they are just puppets managed by the CEO
    Other employees are great and always willing to help
    It depends on the manager but most of the time they are very flexible as it relates to the schedule

Cons

Short term management based on earnings and the market, if the company is not doing well the first choice is to start firing people and in a few months start hiring again.
    Premiums for benefits are getting more expensive and the coverage is decreasing.
    Due to many layoffs the moral is very low
    Employees are expected to work well over 40 hours a week but the raises are only 1.5%

Get a backbone and stand by what you beieve is the right thing to do