Dyn Reviews

Updated April 6, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
2.9
Jeremy Hitchcock

Pros
  • Great compensation and benefits package - Unlimited PTO, Full Health and Dental Coverage, 401k - Base plus commission and bonus comp structure (in 6 reviews)

• There is a very generous work - life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper-management team is young, arrogant and sometimes rude (in 4 reviews)

• The influx of capital brought in lousy mid-upper management and terminated a lot of great people who built the company into what it is (in 4 reviews)

Fast-passed stressful work environment

Former Employee - Product Management in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Product Management in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart and clever people working to solve industry problems

Cons

political, stressful and inexperienced in the workforce. over-think solutions

Advice to Management

practice what you preach to make empolees feel good about the work they do

Be Prepared for a World of Chaos

Former Employee - Support in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Support in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dyn hangs it's hat on the culture it's developed and the benefits that it offers. News flash....it's not very different from what other high tech companies offers these days. Don't let the trendy office, TV's, video games, in-house café, sofas and Segways fool you. You're paying for all these benefits by working for a lower salary. It's unlikely that you'll successfully negotiate top pay with Dyn, unless you're a sought-after Engineer or Scientist. Dyn considers the cost of it's 100% paid health, "unlimited" PTO (Personal Time Off) and the other perks part of your compensation package. Because of this, salaries at Dyn are typically lower than one would expect in the high tech industry.

Dyn has a rather young work force with a few older, experienced people scattered throughout. I don't believe anyone on the leadership team has reached the age of 40 yet. I also think that they intentionally seek out young people to join Dyn because their salary requirements aren't as high as more experienced people. They also LOVE interns, who are really cheap. Any human resource gap there is, they'll throw an intern at it with the guise that they are helping students learn the business. The reality is that they don't want to pay for experience.

They are growing rapidly and feeling the pain from it. They're struggling to scale tools, applications, resources and processes to growth. This is leading to confusion and inefficiencies among the work force as tools aren't working as well as they should and people don't know how their work impacts others.

Although Dyn calls itself a start-up company, it is rather mature for a start-up, having been in business for nearly 15 years and it is generating revenue while funded. They're ripe for an IPO but the options are so watered down that someone coming into the company at this point likely won't make much from an IPO.

Mix 100% paid health care and young people and what do you get? Lots of young couples having babies!! I've never worked at an organization that had so many pregnant women in it at one time and probably an equal number of men with pregnant spouses at home. It seems that several times a month, a baby shower is held. If you find work baby showers annoying, like I do, then this will definitely irk you.

My dialog has been rather snarky so far so I'll end this section by saying that having Dyn on your resume is definitely a plus. I never had so many recruiters reach out to me just because of my experience at Dyn. So, if you take a job at Dyn with the mindset that it's a stepping stone to the next (better) opportunity, then you're right on track.

Cons

Constantly changing strategy, low salaries (in general), people leaving the company under sudden, mysterious conditions (not of their own doing) without a word being said, poor vertical, intra and inter communications, information doesn't flow down accurately past the executive level, and workforce doesn't have a lot of direction. Dyn says that they offer unlimited PTO but you have to account for it and someone's watching. Take too much and it counts against you, you just don't know it.

Advice to Management

Realize that information doesn't flow down past the executive level very well. The work force is confused as to what direction to go, especially when strategy changes. Communications needs to be vastly improved vertically as well as within teams and between teams.

It is what it is

I worked at Dyn full-time

Pros

You're going to be working with some really great people and the benefits are quite nice. I see many people with negative reviews complaining that the company views benefits as a form of compensation but they're missing the point. Benefits are a form of compensation. They have monetary value.

Other than working with great people and great benefits, Dyn is a great name to have on your resume. Myself and others have used it to enhance our career. It's a shame we had to leave to make that happen, but still.. it was worth it.

Cons

Constantly changing focus, typically without explanation. The focus is the IPO and the exit so the company has lost its heart. From a management perspective it's a typical company. Not the worst in the world, simply mediocre. Again, set realistic expectations by realizing the advertised culture isn't what the leadership really believes or even cares about (and remember we're working in NH so we don't have much in the way of options) and this shouldn't drive you insane.

Advice to Management

Early congrats on the IPO. I hope it comes sooner than later for you. You earned it by creating a great company at the beginning and got in the right market. It's a shame you lost your way. But again, congrats on the IPO and hashtags of cool words to you all.

Good People, Bad Decisions, Uncertain Future

I worked at Dyn full-time

Pros

- There are some truly amazing people at Dyn. You will make friends and enjoy coming to work if only to see some of the folks you'll get to know. There are many smart and talented people, especially for the area.
    - Unlimited PTO. Note: You will probably take less PTO than if you had a limit, it's counter intuitive but it's proven and explains why a company is comfortable offering it. BUT you will have the ease of mind of knowing you can take it when you need to without worrying about earned hours.
    - Free snacks and such in the kitchen are nice.
    - The office space creates a college student center vibe. If you're young this will be familiar and comfortable.

Cons

- Upper management is disconnected from the masses. You will have zero time with C levels unless you are a senior director or above. For a company of a few hundred this seems like it could easily be fixed.
    - Culture is a mess. There is a concerning amount of distrust due to some easily avoidable incidents that honestly are a result of management not knowing their people and not knowing their own culture. Some perceived "wrongs" to multiple individuals who know and are liked by everyone over the course of the past 12 months lead to an "us vs them" mentality which is only solidified by a condescending tone to internal communications which has developed in the past 6 months. This is a MAJOR issue and it appears upper management isn't even aware.
    - Product. The product is fine. But it's not the best. It's not revolutionary. But it's one of the most expensive. Makes it hard to sell without bullshitting people, and in the technology world people can see right through marketing-speak. I have great hope that this will change in the next year or two, but management should be focused on one thing - making a product that leapfrogs every other competitor that can be packaged, marketed and sold like hotcakes. The talent is there to create such a thing.
    - Overall the cons should be on the priority list of management but are not insurmountable. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of talent at Dyn and the possibility for a very bright future.

Advice to Management

- Have brainstorming sessions with small groups of all levels. Get face time with everyone. The only way to build a sense of teamwork and shared purpose is to be honest, open, and available. People know they are underpaid. Admit it and give a reason. People will respect transparency. Don't try to convince them free beer is worth getting paid less.

Adapt or get left behind

Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Dyn full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Work/Life Balance
    Amazing products
    Great sales tools

Cons

I only wanted to write that I have seen all the negative reviews from FORMER salespeople at Dyn. Once upon a time Dyn was a company that was OK with having people knock on the doors and make sales that way. That meant a large group of lazy so called sales professionals who would rather play pingpong at 2 in the afternoon than actually try selling something. If you want to work at sales at Dyn in 2015 then you need to do something shocking... You must sell. Adapt or get left behind. Many of the sales people that had been there for 2+ years either could not or would not adapt. Hence the overly negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Add a little more structure to the sales teams. Seems to be a little bit chaotic how things are set up currently. Get rid of the open office concept. It's hard to make calls and not get distracted when you have people sitting on all sides of you with no walls. Better training, I know training was not really done before but it still is lacking and needs to be more focused on how to sell Dyn solutions.

7. Dyn is trying to develop a leading company in the Internet Performance space

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Dyn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Flexible schedule, work hard play hard environment. As Dyn has grown a more active effort has been made to focus on career development and advancement. There is a great mix of seasoned executives and start up thinkers. Data scientists and technical scrappers. It feels like there are great opportunities for interested people throughout the company. As Dyn has grown benefits have continued to exceed expectations and expand to meet a global workforce. The best aspect of Dyn is the ability to embrace change.

Cons

There has always been a challenge around communicating. I would appreciate a greater level of transparency and openness from the senior leadership team. There are a handful of people that speak up when it comes to Dyn and there needs to be better leadership development from within the ranks. It would be nice to see salary adjustments made to bring more people in line with their role. Even though we are a NH based company we should pay like a silicon valley company and drive higher value from employees. In addition employee stock options and bonus offers need to match plans of comparable companies like Google and Apple. There is something important about investing heavily in talent that Dyn needs to learn. I hope that dramatic change occurs in these areas in 2015

Advice to Management

Be bold in initiating positive changes internally. Seek out the counsel of all staff including those outside of the areas of management and leadership. Develop new approaches to old problems and be confident in your people they will carry their load and more.

The best office culture. Ever.

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Manchester, NH
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They have a gong.
    Glass windows in every room, complete transparency.
    Open layout, perfect for good communication.
    Rock wall, gym, foosball, table tennis, arcade games, Free Sandwich Tuesdays, and 3D printer.
    Surrounded by high speed, low drag people who keep keep you motivated.
    Did I mention the GONG?

Cons

Unlimited PTO (personal time off) seems great at first. This can actually bring resentment towards those who take too much advantage.

Advice to Management

Limiting PTO to 30 days a year might remove ill feelings towards certain employees.

A laugh a minute

I worked at Dyn full-time

Pros

If you write positive reviews on Glass Door, you might get a raise! Probably not, though. Just a title change and more responsibility.
    Lots of meetings to remind you that Dyn has an awesome culture.
    Failing management teams and title inflation. Stick around a few years and you'll be a "principal" engineer no matter your experience.
    New open positions in senior roles.
    You don't have to work very hard...or at all. They'll still pay you for at least a year!

Cons

Pay is low, the office space is a joke, the dish washers, microwaves, and coffee machines are constantly broken and disgusting. The kitchen is constantly out of glasses, mugs, and serving trays for the cafe food.

There's a complete lack of trust, a serious lack of vision, and nobody wants to work hard or build new or interesting things. The CTO has zero personality and is incapable of lighting a badly needed fire under anybody. The CEO has no idea what he's doing, which shows in the way he interacts with employees. If you can't stop saying dumb things, don't talk to people. If you can't stop making bad decisions, stop putting yourself in a position where you might!

The in-fighting between groups in engineering has been really damaging. Groups don't talk to each other because their feelings are hurt from previous interactions. So now every group does things differently which leads to more work. Instead of addressing this, the managers allow it to continue and several of them take part. Of course, when most of your senior leadership is remote and has no day-to-day interaction with people, there's little hope of it ever being fixed.

The new "hivecast" product has been re-designed several times, each time slightly worse that the previous. Originally the promise was to have a completely new system running in the field in a year. Anybody that's ever built a new product from scratch that needs to be compatible with the previous version knows this is a complete pipedream. Now, two years later, it's being re-engineered again. Who could have predicted that?!

Look around. The company is hiring people "known" in the industry so they can inflate their image before a sale or an IPO. These people are nothing more than marketing collateral. The old, broken platform is still the bread-and-butter, and one wrong move could permanently take down the service. I wonder how customers feel about that? I wonder if Twitter knows that Dyn could effectively take down their entire service by having two servers go offline?

Advice to Management

I hope for the sake of Dyn that whatever company foolishly tries to buy you, they don't do any actual research or investigation. The email and DNS products are a joke running well beyond their capacity. The only worthwhile product is Internet Intelligence...which has a raft of competitors now.

I got my DNS and email services for free when I worked at Dyn, but I moved all of them off because of how scary the situation is. Do yourselves a favor and start looking for new jobs.

Work Hard, Play Hard.....

I have been working at Dyn

Pros

- The People you work with will share same passion in the work that you do day in day out.

- Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. Work hard and you'll be noticed by this company, and they will create development and movement upwards on your behalf.

- Great benefits and perks, such as unlimited PTO as well as solid health benefits, matching 401k, ect

- Work hard, play hard atmosphere, with management always looking reward the hardworking efforts.

Cons

Very consistent last 3 years of growth. When you expand that fast during such a quick amount of time you're bound to have some ups and downs along the way.

N/a

Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Dyn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Entry level and intern positions thrive at this 11 tear old start up.
    No capacity for new clients gives us time to really perfect our culture

Cons

There are no cons when you're hired because of your friendly relationship with "the right people"

Advice to Management

You know what you're doing, keep up the great work!