Dyn

www.dyn.com

Dyn Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Jeremy Hitchcock

Never a dull moment..in a good way!

N/A (Current Employee)

ProsThe people here are amazing. Dyn does a great job of hiring for the culture fit. Everyone is approachable and helpful, even the Executives, where at other companies you may never get the chance to see or talk to them. People genuinely care about you.
    The benefits are a huge bonus.
    The freedom of the work environment is something to be thankful for.
    I love that we are headquartered in NH, allows the world to see what a great place we get to live and work in.

ConsWe are rapidly growing, yes that is a great thing. With that we are hiring at a rapid rate, also a great thing. But the old Dyn a few years ago, everyone knew each other. Now you pass by people and don't know if they work here or not. Some people prefer a smaller company and may not enjoy this new environment.
       It just takes a little more effort to learn who everyone is and meet people. I would say that is not a bad issue to have at all, what company wouldn't want to be growing and providing jobs in the community?

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have much advice to management. Friends at other companies often ask me for advice on how Dyn does things so they can bring to their work place. Upper management is extremely open and upfront with all employees at Dyn. They promote from within, they offer career growth, provide one on one time with anyone who asks for it.
       I think a lot of negative reviews on upper management are from people who don't really know them. They don't understand the complexity of their job and it is easier to judge from afar than try to understand it. They always have the company's and employees best interest at heart and are working hard to make Dyn an amazing place for everyone.

Culture-con for the financially insane

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

Prosbean bag chairs!
    oooo a rock wall
    some more bean bag chairs
    culture kool-aid. tasty!
    omg a scooter!
    look at that giant sign.....thats weird
    these conference rooms have retro video game names! how original!
    a kitchen with a chef in it?! that's not even something I was looking for!
    oh look another beanbag chair
    hey, can I get some more of that koolaid?
    these walls are so many different colors.....I must be working at the right place
    this is all too much, let me sit in this beanbag chair.

ConsAll of those super awesome fantastic things above are used as reasons to not pay employees a livable wage at this company (seriously). I had friends still in high school working at fast food restaurants who were making more money than I was, working here with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering. I also know for a fact that people sitting next to me and around me, who were not even as qualified for the same position (also completely serious), were making more money than I was. Was this because they're all men and I'm a woman (gasp, I went there)? Who's to say for sure. And every time I addressed it, rather than try to work with me, or give me a goal to work towards, something, anything that I could do to better my situation for myself, I was silenced; told that I should be happy with my salary, that those people were lying to me about what they made (all of them, they all decided to lie to me on separate occasions), and that I wouldn't find a better salary for myself. Anywhere. Now that I have (more than double, I might add), I can confidently advocate against this company. Culture is great, but culture should not be used as a reason to not pay your employees. Me looking around at all your cool stuff didn't make me feel better about working there or the crappy wage I was making. All it did was make me wonder how many more foosball tables would be added before I might get a raise, and why another foosball table was so much more important than that. On top of that, when you have hard working people, who actually work a solid 8 hours, and don't have time to climb rock walls, and play foosball, and play guitar hero, those culture perks quickly become liabilities and barriers to a better quality of life. All that did was breed animosity, and sadly, not much else.

Advice to Senior Managementstop?

Dyn sign!

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsDyn has never ending opportunities for interns, current students and contractors. I'd advise any recent graduate with little experience to apply.

ConsWhen addressing the eye sore at a meeting in front off ALL employees Jeremy says, " I hear its pretty bright at night, especially on the west side " ( the westside being one of the poorest parts of Manchester) they'll just have to buy blinds". What's more to say? The CEO does not care about people. Neither in the company nor the city which supports him.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a Load of Crap: Horrible Leadership: Irresponsible, Arrogant, Inexperienced, Selfish

Pros- Great benefits. Oh yeah...we've already been told that those are likely to change.
    - PTO.... it's amazing how many people abuse this and get away with it, when others never take a day off and actually work hard.
    - Hey, did you see the giant sign we're getting...? That's how much Dyn loves themselves... they went and got special exception for the largest sign possible. How is that helping your customers again...?

Cons- They absolutely don't promote from within; they hire relatives and friends who aren't qualified.
    - No one at Dyn even knew what Glass Door was until one day a year or so ago, a negative post was found. Ever since then... every time a negative post is written.... magically a new, positive post arrives within a few days. It's pathetic. The executives are so concerned with getting their funding that they read Glass Door every day now. Read the positive posts... they almost all say the same thing...??!!! "oh we're growing and that's great, so oopsie, we make some mistakes".... Quit lying to yourselves and everyone else. You just plain don't know what you're doing and it negatively impacts the employees on a regular basis.
    - Dyn is the only "start up" I know that's been a "start up" for 15 years.
    - When they want to hide behind their incompetence, they claim, "oh, we're a start up".
    - When they want funding...they claim "we're the next 'Google' "
    - Which is it fellas...?
    - The CEO is not a leader... no one would follow him to battle
    - The CRO is a PR kid who thankfully admits he doesn't know what he's doing. All he does is talk... literally does not listen at all. Loves to hear himself and see himself. Google him, you can find some great, ignorant speeches he's given where he makes "poop" jokes which are not received well. Better yet, our top competitors made some videos about him, which they use as their advertising, and they are exactly how this kid is. The arrogance is astounding.
    - Management celebrates ignorance. The people they consider the "top" sales people couldn't sell a bible to the Pope. They are by far the least effective sales people, in fact, the least effective sales organization I have ever seen. Nowhere else would a sales person be considered a top sales person because customers, who have done their own research, call in and simply need a sales person to "sign them up".

Advice to Senior Management- You are right about one thing. You are transparent. All you care about is funding and IPO and your own personal wealth. I tried to talk to one of you not long ago, and even though you had been lingering in the area, alone, not on your cell or even looking at it for a while... as soon as I approached, you were all of a sudden too busy to even look up. I guarantee you don't even know my name....yet all the positive posts say how great you all are...?! Gosh... must be a fluke...?
    - Get over yourselves. Stop trying to control what everyone thinks of you. You have a poor rating in terms of your effectiveness as leaders from those who work in your company. We don't care about your funding and IPO, we know in typical "Dyn fashion" it won't translate to anything for the employees.
    - Oh, and to the uniformed... "options" aren't worth anything... it's simply another ploy to generate cash flow and receive a tax deduction, and it impresses those who don't know better into thinking they are going to cash in.

Disappointing

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsUnlimited PTO, nice office, and friendly atmosphere.

ConsCompensation was terrible. Employees across the board are paid 25-40% less than market rates. They force employees to sign 2 year non competes, even for sales people who don't build any technology (not that they even build new technology anymore). Dyn is also aggressive in pursuing former employees who go work in a similar or adjacent spaces. I know 2 sales people who have been served with cease and desist letters after they left the company with one of them having left a year and a half after the fact. They do this while their CEO puts on a public facade of being against them and even going so far as to writing Opinion pieces in the Boston Globe about how Non-Competes hurt competition and is bad for New England's tech industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart innovating again. Worry about building technologies an not about former employees taking their talents elsewhere. Stop being blatantly hypocritical. Pay your employees a competitive wage.

I love this place...

ProsHuge potential. Could be a major force in the industry if it does not get acquired. Lots of employee friendly perks such as paying almost all of the health care, a 401k match, etc.

ConsAs with most companies that have tripled in size in the space of four years, there are growing pains. Perseverance and a steady hand on the tiller will guide Dyn to where it needs to be...

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve employees to make Dyn as big as it can be. While the culture and the opportunities for personal growth are important, there is not substitute for growth. Revenue growth. Keep the tide rising...

Cool Tech, Poor Management

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsTheir office is like an adult's playground. Beers on tap, whiskey in the hunting lodge.. Toys, outings, fun. Benefits better than most.

ConsThe culture has gone downhill and it's really a parody of itself. Employees are paid far less than they are worth. The influx of capital brought in lousy mid-upper management and terminated a lot of great people who built the company into what it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work-life balance actually balanced for engineers. Stop hiring awful middle and lower management. Find a long-term goal.

Lack of trust, lack of innovation, lack of leadership.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsIf you would like to be paid 30% below market to fix crushing technical debt than this the place to be.

ConsPolitical Culture that is celebrated by the executives.
    You will never be trusted to make a decision.
    "Scrum Masters" who have never managed technical teams run the technical teams.
    Daily outages which which distract everyone from actually improving things and upset our customers.
    No plan to improve things, just bolt on more features in order to get sold or IPO.

Up until recently the entire technical organization reported to someone who was a lawyer for 2 years before starting at Dyn. When your product is a highly technical product, you would expect there to be real technical leadership. We are already starting to see the effects of poor management. Good people are leaving, and more and more people are looking to quit. They replace the good people with more minions of the Engineering leader who don't ask questions and just follow orders.

The CEO doesn't know what he wants, but he wants it now.
    The COO runs the technical team from a spreadsheet.
    The Head of Sales (or CRO, whatever that is) spends more time advising his other companies to sell their services to Dyn instead of actually leading the sales team. When his companies get into financial trouble, then Dyn just acquires them in yet another pity acquisition.
    There has been no real CTO, until recently.

People are leaving, and I expect that more will leave over the next few months. They don't want people to actually improve anything, they just need bodies to keep their fingers in the dam long enough so they can all cash out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real CEO who doesn't use the company as his own personal piggy bank to fund his cars and planes.

Little boys with BIG toys

Director (Current Employee) Manchester, NH

Pros7 hour work day. Beer and some food. Great health coverage for families. Unlimited PTO. No dress "code". Lots of toys to play with.

ConsEver shifting priorities. No accountability in sales management or marketing. Constant culture(con) rah rah. Workspace is crowded and noisy. Lack of professional focus and hire friends with no relevant experience

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trusting your buddies from high school and bring experienced people who know how to grow a company.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work for!

User Experience/E-commerce Summer Intern (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsLove the company, people and its culture! People are very friendly there. Company is definitely growing at a high speed. Have many opportunities to talk to senior managements. Was given independent projects.

ConsNot much to say here either. Not easy to find a nice place to rent (I was trying to rent an apartment during the summer) near the company?

Worked for Dyn? Contribute to the Community!