DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

Pros:
  • "Good pay even though you are in a war zone"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "To be expected) Upper management was not as affected though"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok if you're new to the game, but get out as soon as you can

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working for DynCorp is that I got the opportunity to travel and see the world. If you are new to contracting, this is a good way to get your foot in the door because they will hire any one. But while overseas, I had the opportunity to network and meet contractors from other companies.

ConsBy far the worst company I have ever worked for,. They truly don't care about their employees and there is no work ethic. Its all about making that money. There was absolutely no consistency or standards. It seemed like every day there was a new change to the SOP or WI. And no standardized training! The bosses would put together a crappy PowerPoint in like 20 minutes and make us read it and sign something acknowledging we've been trained just to cover their behinds. The answer to everything was to wait until a problem got out of control instead of trying to prevent it ahead of time, and then try to cover it up with a ban-aid. I could go on talking about the lack of qualified management. This was the WRM contract, so I can't speak for the rest of the company.

DynCorp = bully

Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood pay and benefits. Met some great friends.

ConsEmployees with children and families are favored over single, childless employees as if single people have no life. Being single does not mean I want to stay late so a parent can go home on time to pick up and take care of a child. Never could make plans afterwork, no advanced notice of overtime hours. Normal hours were 8-5 but sometimes you were excepted to work odd shift hours such as midnight to 9am, 5am-5pm, etc.

Expected to not take your lunch hour.

Deadlines are unreasonable and last minute. Management not willing to stand up and demand deadlines that aren't so tight and last minute.

Gave awards for outstanding performances that came with a cash award. Unfortunately, one person won the award for "placing a decal on a plane." Often awarded those that were simply doing their job. Overlooked those that went over and above and did many jobs.

Military employees looked down on and treated non-military employees horribly.

Lots of sexism in the workplace.

Had to constantly take ethics training, including how retaliation was not allowed. It happened all of the time.

Bullying was a large part of how they got things done.

Never looked forward to going to work.

Must account for how you spent your time at work and on what project. You'd be screwed if you were actually efficient and got done early.

After expecting you to stay crazy hours they couldn't even provide decent coffee. At one time they offered individual coffee creamers in many flavors, provided plates and plastic cutlery. After one of the many CEO changes the plates, cutlery, creamers were gone. Creamer was replaced with generic powdered crap. Generic sweeteners. No more tea, hot cocoa, etc.

Sorry it is ending

ICL Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat support from management at all levels. Being able to just get away to Dubai for three days is a bonus.

ConsVery harsh environment, so if you have allergies to dust this is most definitely not the place for you. The summer will burn your biscuits as in HOT HOT HOT.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to be there for your subordinates especially during this period of the project.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stateside - great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities to move up

ConsMilitary environment rather than corporate world

Advice to Senior Managementlean more towards corporate type environment than military war zone mindsets.

Good first job where I gain lots of education and experience

ProsGreat Mentors
    Opportunities to grow and advance in your career.
    Educational/tuition reimbursement opportunities.
    Set policies and procedures set in place for almost anything (I didn't realize how valuable this was until I worked for a company with no policies/procedures).
    Great Benefits

ConsWork/life balance - at times I was working 70-80 hours per week, on-call and expected to be available 24/7.
    Some favoritism
    Some people in management positions did not deserve them or do a good job in them, making it more difficult for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I feel like this is a good company to work for, but a lot of that has to do with the department and people that you work with/for. I believe that it opened many doors for me and taught me so much.

Ideal employer for those willing to work hard, apply themselves, and who are dedicated to learning more about business

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsStrong company values for which people are held accountable; companywide sense of pride in the mission - people care about the work they are doing; opportunities to learn more to advance your career are limitless

ConsMarket dynamics make this a challenging time for anyone who contracts with the U.S. government; not a place for those just looking to "show-up" each day who are not invested in the work they do

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on core values across company; continue to hold people accountable for delivering results and living the company values

Great Company to get started when leaving the Armed Forces

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee)
    Patuxent River, MD

ProsHours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance.

ConsShift rotations, Ugly uniforms, Poor advancement opprotunities

Data entry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work environment is excellent. challenging at time but overall good.

ConsThe shifts can be pretty difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend that the Data salaries should be done by the company itself and not by the national host country

Great company, great values; providing a much needed service in support of our foreign policy and national defense

ProsQuality of work. Value of what we do. Intended culture. Senior leadership team.

ConsSometimes working in austere environments can be part of the mission

unhappy place

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsI want to be able to put something, but I honestly can't think of anything positive to say. If you are out of a job and they will hire you, go for it (at least it's a paycheck), but I wouldn't leave a decent job to go here.

ConsEmployee morale is in the toilet. Constant threat of layoffs for the worker bees, but yet they have an over abudance of VPs. No pay raises for the last two years, but mgmt still paid themselves a bonus. Managers can't or won't make decisions. Too much red tape, but it's a government contractor so I guess that's to be expected. Really depends what group you are in, some groups are expected to work themselves to death. Seems to be a better balance in the field or on contracts than in corporate office. Advancement opportunities are practically non existant. You might be able to make a lateral move but unless you are "in the club" you won't be moving up anytime soon. They are stuck in old fashioned ways "because that's how we've always done it". Company gets bought/sold on a regular basis, so the structure is constantly changing. As soon as the dust begins to settle from one sale, the next one happens. The only thing that stays the same here is change, but it all seems to focus on superficial things that create more work. I did not feel valued as an employee at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would accept that your employees are your most valuable asset and brought back things like jeans Friday, and actually put an effort into improving morale you would do infinetely better. People know they are expendable at DI. The constant threat of layoffs causes your best people to leave voluntarily before they are cut, so you end up with the poor performers sticking around. You need to put some effort into training people - new hires leave so quickly because they are thrown to the wolves with ZERO training or support. Pick a direction and stick with it for more than 5 min to see if if actually has an impact.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 305 reviews posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.