DynCorp International

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Upper Management is Abusive

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay up until they lay you off

ConsIf you have any integrity or skill, you WILL be replaced.

They hire old, used up generals and affirmative-action square-fillers who bring in their own yes-men. It is entirely unimportant to do a good job; just smile a lot and hope your boss doesn't have a buddy looking at your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and hire competent leaders

Corporate employees are lemons who exist only to be squeezed.

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent salaries and the working class employees are mostly good people who want to do good work.

ConsDynCorp is owned by the private equity firm Cerebus who does not understand the business that DynCorp does nor has any interest in doing so. Their only interest is in squeezing as much as they possibly can out of DynCorp and its people. Innovation is non-existent as is employee morale. Since Cerebus has purchased us, company benefits have dried up. Employee raises are gone, insurance premiums have increased dramatically every year, training dollars are always the first to be cut from budgets, and even simple morale boost benefits such as blue jeans on Fridays have been eliminated. You are spoken to and treated as if you are lucky to even have a job. Employees work constantly under the threat of an oncoming reduction in force (RIF) and after each one, you are asked to work harder to make up for the missing personnel.

As the US government reduces defense spending, DynCorp's prospects for growth and even sustainment are grim. The company has not positioned itself for this circumstance and is suffering because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, I cannot imagine any words will help. Even a small appreciation of your employees would be beneficial. Forgo your executive bonus program to reinstate merit increases for employees Invest in them with training dollars. Give them a reason to want to stay here. As it stands today, every employee I know is currently looking for outside employment. Aside from a paycheck, you have given no one a reason to stay.

CEO has no respect for IT.

IT Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time

ProsPay is the only positive

ConsWorking for DynCorp International, DI and especially in IT can be compared to the TV show survivor. Pick your allies carefully and trust no one. Immunity can be gained if you have the right relatives in DI. Some very strong technical employees have been laid off in IT b/c they didn't want to play the game anymore. Large percent of the remaining technical employees are looking to leave because of the decisions the remaining IT Directors, CIO and CEO have made. CEO Steve Gaffney believes DI IT should be run on a skeleton crew, just keeping the lights on, like IAP where he came from. To make this happen Steve Gaffney believes 50-60 hour work weeks are to be expected as the norm for exempt employees. Watch for parts of IT to start being outsourced to the cloud and third party vendors to help make this happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Pathetic Excuses for Leadership, Zero Ethics, No hope for the future

Middle Management (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company hires some of the best talent in the industry, so they definitely know how to spot and recruit talent. They also tend to pay very well, to a degree.

ConsHowever, after hire, the company treats its employees so poorly that they cannot stay. The best employees are replaced by the boss's entourage from other companies. There is ubiquitous and well-posted Social Contract that is absolutely not followed by anyone above the position of Director. The respect is all faked (lots of "Sir" and "Ma'am") but there is no cooperation between heavily-siloed departments and open contempt from senior leadership for the middle managers and employees. The management style is by threats and intimidation. So-called Management Incentive Pay is held hostage for Yes-men only and can be withheld on a whim or to get someone to resign.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the sideways, used-up retired generals and bring some real business leaders in there. Take ethics complaints seriously, instead of retaliating and then sweeping the complaints under the rug.

Do Not Work Here.... You Will Regret It!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocation was centralize. Worked with a few good people.

ConsPoor management skills, poor pay for work you put in, no employee moral, unreasonable workloads and over time hours. Managment is very narrowed in its views. Most people are not personable. Company encourages advancment and growth within, but when you actually apply for it you are denied because your current manager has to approve the move and does not. Management has a lack of encouragment with their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the employees to review their managers in addition to annual reviews. Learn to compromise and know that employees have lives outside of the company. Learn to show appreciation to your employees and do not talk down to them. So acting as if your employees are part of an assembly line and know they are real people.

It was exhausting.

Junior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International

ProsI am not sure that I have anything positive.

ConsThe cons of working at DynCorp is the employees are not teamplayers. The training is not adequate. You are expected to perform your job without asking questions. The environment is more figure it out on your own. If you make mistakes you will lose your job. You are expected to work late. The salaries are inflated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees

If you own stock.... SELL SELL SELL

Systems Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International

ProsTimes are tough so it is a paycheck. If you are politically savvy the environment could be right for you. If you like to travel to third world countries and carry firearms that's a plus.
There are a lot of good people in the company in lower management and the ground troops. Those people cannot be beat. If you work stateside you can't make as much money but you have less chance of getting taken out by a roadside bomb or bullets. So it's kind of a wash. Take out a real good life insurance policy for the family just in case.
If you like to be in meetings that are redundantly redundant, it's easy money there.

ConsEver since the company went public it has gone downhill. They even stripped the company picnic and Christmas party... and those were the only perks to begin with. After a large layoff if there was a grain of moral left it's gone now.
If you hate meetings there is a good shot you may not like the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagements hands are tied. The problems stem from the very top. There is a good reason the CEO/Chairman has a 17% approval and falling.

DynCorp is not an employee friendly company.

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International

ProsWorking with different contracts. Travel.

ConsIt is no longer an employee company. DynCorp has gone through three company wide Reductions in Force RIFS this year. The focus was to lean the infrastructure as Bill Ballhaus states but the target was any employee who was at the top of their pay scale. All employees let go received two weeks pay and their benefits ended midnight the day they were walked out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring Chiefs and Directors whose experience meets the job qualifications and not just someone whose salary fits the bill you want to pay.

DynCorp = bully

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Met some great friends.

ConsEmployees with children and families are favored over single, childless employees as if single people have no life. Being single does not mean I want to stay late so a parent can go home on time to pick up and take care of a child. Never could make plans afterwork, no advanced notice of overtime hours. Normal hours were 8-5 but sometimes you were excepted to work odd shift hours such as midnight to 9am, 5am-5pm, etc.

Expected to not take your lunch hour.

Deadlines are unreasonable and last minute. Management not willing to stand up and demand deadlines that aren't so tight and last minute.

Gave awards for outstanding performances that came with a cash award. Unfortunately, one person won the award for "placing a decal on a plane." Often awarded those that were simply doing their job. Overlooked those that went over and above and did many jobs.

Military employees looked down on and treated non-military employees horribly.

Lots of sexism in the workplace.

Had to constantly take ethics training, including how retaliation was not allowed. It happened all of the time.

Bullying was a large part of how they got things done.

Never looked forward to going to work.

Must account for how you spent your time at work and on what project. You'd be screwed if you were actually efficient and got done early.

After expecting you to stay crazy hours they couldn't even provide decent coffee. At one time they offered individual coffee creamers in many flavors, provided plates and plastic cutlery. After one of the many CEO changes the plates, cutlery, creamers were gone. Creamer was replaced with generic powdered crap. Generic sweeteners. No more tea, hot cocoa, etc.

unhappy place

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI want to be able to put something, but I honestly can't think of anything positive to say. If you are out of a job and they will hire you, go for it (at least it's a paycheck), but I wouldn't leave a decent job to go here.

ConsEmployee morale is in the toilet. Constant threat of layoffs for the worker bees, but yet they have an over abudance of VPs. No pay raises for the last two years, but mgmt still paid themselves a bonus. Managers can't or won't make decisions. Too much red tape, but it's a government contractor so I guess that's to be expected. Really depends what group you are in, some groups are expected to work themselves to death. Seems to be a better balance in the field or on contracts than in corporate office. Advancement opportunities are practically non existant. You might be able to make a lateral move but unless you are "in the club" you won't be moving up anytime soon. They are stuck in old fashioned ways "because that's how we've always done it". Company gets bought/sold on a regular basis, so the structure is constantly changing. As soon as the dust begins to settle from one sale, the next one happens. The only thing that stays the same here is change, but it all seems to focus on superficial things that create more work. I did not feel valued as an employee at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would accept that your employees are your most valuable asset and brought back things like jeans Friday, and actually put an effort into improving morale you would do infinetely better. People know they are expendable at DI. The constant threat of layoffs causes your best people to leave voluntarily before they are cut, so you end up with the poor performers sticking around. You need to put some effort into training people - new hires leave so quickly because they are thrown to the wolves with ZERO training or support. Pick a direction and stick with it for more than 5 min to see if if actually has an impact.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings in Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.