DynCorp International

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.4

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay compared to some of the other companies (in 29 reviews)

• Opportunity for challenging and rewarding work in numerous areas around the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate effectively so issues constantly arise (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I have been working at DynCorp International

Pros

The company is flexible, positive, accomidating. Everyone is very helpful and eager to watch you succeed.

Cons

I think it was the nature of the contract I was on,, but I received only a couple hours of training.

DynCorp Kuwait was a good experience. But it depends on management, which seems to be a rotating door...

I have been working at DynCorp International

Pros

money was good, living conditions were great for the employees in the southern region. not so good for the employees in the northern region.

Cons

not many cons... there is always room to complain about management, but what company can you find room to complain about the management. I would suggest working here.

1 year contract

Former Employee - Mechanic
    Former Employee - Mechanic

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

When working on a base supported by dyncorp the facilities were adequate and well maintained. The management was easy to contact if needed.

Cons

The isn't very many state side positions available when you redeploy so expect to either stay deployed or look for work else where.

Challenging environment but opportunities exist

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Industry and mission
    Compensation and benefits (in general)
    People

Cons

Some areas/functions somewhat "siloed"
    Environment/Industry challenges

Specific - learn to better assess talent
    General - Improve organization and focus

Okay company to work for

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a corporation that has been a leading aviation service provider for many years. This business line has performed well for several years.

Cons

The business systems are eith antiquated or non-existent. There seems to be a lack of business vision outside the Government Services Industry which is a well that is dry at the moment. Much instability at the top of the corporation undergoing three CEO changes in the last 6 months.

Seek a CEO that has a robust businesss vision in the commercial market rather than keeping eggs in the same Government Services Industry basket.

Getting much better and focused

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New management is more professional, listens, makes decisions based on facts and details, and engaged. the company feels better run and more competitive.

Cons

The damage from prior management is fairly deep and will take time to fix. The BEST thing that happened was new management-- and a real merit based leadership approach instead of hiring and promoting based on cronyism, friends, and family hires.

Focus on talent-- getting the right people in. Also, travel beyond Virginia and Texas. Finally, the CEO needs to tell us where we are going and the focus areas-- the strategy.

Excellent

Current Employee - Quality and Safety Manager in Fort Bliss, TX
    Current Employee - Quality and Safety Manager in Fort Bliss, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, benefits package and overall all their employees

Cons

Even though it is a contract, it is great working for this great company

Satisfying customer mission; Learned a lot; frustrating corp politics

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working out of Fort Worth office provided good sr. leadership visibility. Very patriotic company and does a great job recognizing veterans and their contractors operating in harms way. Programs are not very technically complex but the missions are unique and can't help but provoke a strong sense of patriotism. Program locations around the world provide interesting travel opportunities (Afghanistan, Iraq, GCC states) for those who enjoy frequent travel. The former CEO did a good job creating an intentional culture and reshaping the mindset of some leaders. Have opportunities to wear many hats if you are motivated. Like most places, your experience will largely be shaped by your boss and immediate peers.

Cons

Constant redirection is frustrating and makes it difficult to get anything done. Often seemed like just when started to get traction, the direction would change. Reinvent the same wheel over again in every different color... Leadership was slow to make strategic decisions; No raises for last 3 years...although understandable given the financial pressures.
    Although much of old boys club has been weeded out, some leaders still promote and reward unprofessional, incompetent, and/or hostile behavior, which often isn't addressed until something blows up. Very little work-life balance...everything is needed and needed now mindset, just so it can sit around and languish (for months, even years) waiting for senior leadership sign off. Virtually no automation...surprising for a company this large. Very poor communication...the oldest/largest "start up" I've worked for.

Upper management has a tendency to shoot the messenger so they miss out on the truth from the people who care, and promote the political animals with CYA mindsets instead. Est by example a culture that advocates and rewards truth vs. political expedience. Create formalized succession programs/career development.... Address employee concerns re: company health head on so you don't lose the good people to the frequent layoffs....pull the layoff band aide off at once vs. frequent quarterly/semi-annual mass layoffs that hurt morale.

DynCorp

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

Very versatile. Learned a lot from the different cultures of how the job is done.

Cons

Time-Off was a bit harsh as well as the work schedule.

Time-off policies as well as time off for personal time

Mostly positive

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

i believe in our mission to support the military and other government entities. Benefits have generally been good. Work location is okay. Plenty of parking.

Cons

We were too tied to military efforts so with the drawn down in Iraq and Afghanistan we've had to lay off a large number of employees.

After letting go a long term CEO, we hired someone who last two weeks and now have an interim CEO! All within the last 3 months. Too much upheaval. Some benefits have been scaled back. No increase in two years.

Diversify our portfolio. Listen to employee suggestions.

DynCorp International Photos