DynCorp International

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

James Geisler
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone (in 25 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know what is going on or how to run the program (in 11 reviews)

• Being away from home, but that's expected when signing up (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overseas Position

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

It was a great opportunity to get my foot in the door for working abroad.

Cons

Definitely the "Good Ole Boys Club". Many of the higher ups didn't think you were able to do a job unless you were either a man or a retired LTC or higher in your branch of service. Due to this fact that if you didn't have military experience, you didn't understand how to properly manage a dept.

Quit trying to run your overseas projects like the military. Run it like a business.

Employee Relations

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is that you are getting paid no matter what happens outside the wire. As long as you work your 84 hours, they will pay you for them.

Cons

The leadership is terrible, they are double minded, most do not know anything about the job they are performing. The company does not treat its employees well, there is no time off, no sick days, no holidays and they wonder why people are exhausted and complaining.

Treat the employees like adults and not someone you despise. Listen to our ideas on how to improve things and dont shut us out. Allow us to have some time off even if its not paid so that we can regenerate our minds and bodies

Management

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Serve and support our military and Department of State all over the world. Recognition to families that have lost ones that were DynCorp employees. Great people on the ground that work hard and love what they do. Hire a lot of former military.

Cons

At high levels of leadership, they don't follow their published values, it is mostly for show. Let go of good people and they retain the political ones and no employment security. Company is in turmoil due to poor leadership, a lot of been fired but seems as if some are still there.

Private equity company, retain those who produce and don't get fooled by political and suit characters who tend to be all air about themselves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too shabby

Current Employee - Work Center Supervisor  in  Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Work Center Supervisor in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Pay and benefits for the most part.

Cons

Micro managed all the time.

Higher more management to oversee all of the employees.

An okay company

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary. Travel and training if it's within your job description.

Cons

Lack of communications between corporate and the 'folks in the field.' Educational benefits - yeah, if the class you're taking is looked upon as within your job scope, but highly subjective.

It seems that the company is continuing to falter. Three CEOs within the first month.

Current Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of work to do. The people are great and you get to help those that serve this great country.

Cons

Cerberus (owner) is killing the company since they keep trying to bring in commercial best practices in the a government / military world. It just doesn't work.

Also teams are too lean as it stands. Once LOGCAP goes away the company will be hurting. Plus they are one huge contract away from imploding since they barely have the staff to keep the lights on.

Listen to your employees, many have which been with the company for over 10 years. Also, get away from Cerberus as fast as you can or they will totally sink the ship and alot of good people will loose their jobs.

Okay overall

Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-works, benefits good, work-life balance good, management good, flexible schedule, staff development is good, upward mobility ... Opportunities around the world...

Cons

Contract work, so possibility that my position could go away in a few years. No tuition reimbursement on my contract...employer match has been cut back to save money.

None

Stay away! Bait and switch

Current Employee - Mobile Training Team  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Training Team in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The team leads are good first line managers. Working with team mates if the best part of the job.

Cons

Dyncorp has very little concern for employees. When complaints about recent 60% pay cut were voiced! management related they had hundreds of propel to take out place.

Instructional knowledge is something you should try to hang on to. The new contract in Palestine will go into default, can't run two sites at 30% staffing

Excilerating

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No two days are ever the same. Since this company has locations all around the world. There is always something happening, 24/7. The opportunity for growth is excellent. The general overhead is low, so everyone wears many hats. I am learning something new everyday. I love interacting with people all over the world. I get to work with true american heroes. The ethics are top notch. There is a social contract that is signed and followed to the letter. This definitely makes for a very pleasant work atmosphere. The leadership training is relevant immediately to our managers, not just something they can use in the future. I love it here.

Cons

You need to be available 24/7, 365. They keep the overhead low, but this creates a bottleneck sometime to get something processed. Some of the software applications need to be updated and more user friendly.

Offer the bonuses to everyone, not just managers. This is truly a team environment. Everyone on the team needs to be rewarded, not just the managers.

Got to do the job I had in the USAF for a civilian company.

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor

Pros

Good pay, can do the same job you had in the military.

Cons

Qatar sort of sucks, and not having SOFA status as a civilian in Qatar makes you a 2nd class citizen with no equal rights who are regarded as gods by the police.

Don't be "my daddy", I am a grown man. Micromanagement sucks.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!