DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone(in 24 reviews)

• I was able to move into a management position very quickly and enjoyed a good salary and benefits(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know what is going on or how to run the program(in 11 reviews)

• Being away from home, but that's expected when signing up(in 6 reviews)

Great Company, Local Management Needs Work

Mentor (Current Employee) Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsVery Good salaries, excellent people, professional company

ConsLocal Program Managers and Deputy Program Managers seem to believe they are the primary focus and SOW earners are the supporting players. Usually the best logistics, support items, housing etc goes to the PMO and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using previous rank as a factor in hiring for leadership positions. Remember that the PMO and staff are supporting the SOW earners, not the other way around.

Company Review

Staff Officer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is very generous in its vacation allocations, based on how long you've worked for them. The are definitely pro-veteran, and family. The atmosphere is one of teamwork.

ConsBeing off-site, sometimes information is found out slowly. Additionally, historically when training is required, we tend to get notification at the "critical" hour for it to be completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communication lines open to the lowest worker level.

Walking on egg shells, very unstable

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsBeen here a long time and make good salary.
    Big campaign to promote their ethics and culture.
    I am trusted and respected for my skills and knowledge for the most part, which is as I expect to get anywhere, as I highly skilled and have 2.5 decades of expertise.

ConsExtremely unstable; employees live in culture of fear and exhaustion. Rounds of lay offs every year if you are not a union employee working a specific contract. Funding for various projects is always hard to come by even for regular much needed maintenance.
    2 years of zero merit pay increases across the board and benefits reduced.
    AWFUL work hours on call 24x7 for weeks at a time. Some weekends worked continuously.
    Very top down organizational chain of command with a strong reaction to employee's voicing questions or criticism. Not a collaborative culture.
    Very few opportunities for advancement.
    The promotion of the DI Start as their ethics and culture is superficial. SR management does not act it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel valued with even a tiny pay increase. Stop the executive and senior management perks. Stop trying to trim the corporate overhead jobs, cutting benefits, and constantly rearranging the reporting structure. So much change is not making it better, only creating doubt and fear. Create opportunities for employees to grow their skill and value.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong opportunity as a starting block for contract work

Operations (Former Employee) Kuwait City (Kuwait)

ProsThe pay wasn't as strong as, say, KBR and some of the other companies. However, you received a lot more of the freedoms you'd receive working a normal job.

ConsYou're not completely free. Having a family can be difficult. Hard to move up, depending on the project.

good company, lots of opportunities for career advancement

Senior Contract Administrator (Former Employee) Shīndand (Afghanistan)

ProsThe job is well paid, there is lots of opportunity for international travel, the company pays for all living expenses in country.

Consminimum 12 hour work day (usually more like 14) seven days a week. the living conditions are minimal, there is a great deal of internal politics.

Kind of ok.

ProsDecent pay. Pay on time.

ConsIn Afghanistan. Very, very poor program management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

It was a good place to work, management was pretty easy, but for most people the advancement rte is low

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsPeople pretty much get along, everyone was military and we all had a common goal.

ConsUnions are not around to protect the people that want to work...definitely for the lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should have incentives for people to work harder

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay, vacation, overseas service, experience and great people

ConsPolitics, hours, access to basic things: Internet
    Personal items

Advice to Senior ManagementRead resumes, you have people with leadership potential and years of experience wasted on menial positions

Great pay

Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsGreat pay, and experience! Raises were annually started off at $27.00/hr after one year of work and one raise I ended at $30/hr

ConsThe location of work was pretty bad, it was southern Maryland and the cost of living down there was outrageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork was great while I was there, it isn't the normal professional work environment due to the majority of the people being prior military there is a bit of hazing going on at times.

Good employer

Force Protection Supervisor (Former Employee) Ferizaj (Kosovo)

ProsGood pay, ok food, ok rooms.

Consneeds to pay closer attention to upper mgmt.

Advice to Senior Management?

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!