DynCorp International Reviews

Reset

1 year contract

Former Contractor - Mechanic
    Former Contractor - Mechanic

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

When working on a base supported by dyncorp the facilities were adequate and well maintained. The management was easy to contact if needed.

Cons

The isn't very many state side positions available when you redeploy so expect to either stay deployed or look for work else where.

2. Great

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic (Electrical) in Fort Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic (Electrical) in Fort Campbell, KY

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, 401k, vacation time, flexible, team oriented.

Cons

A bit of micro managing

Advice to Management

More emphasis on individual and team accomplishments.

Mostly positive

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i believe in our mission to support the military and other government entities. Benefits have generally been good. Work location is okay. Plenty of parking.

Cons

We were too tied to military efforts so with the drawn down in Iraq and Afghanistan we've had to lay off a large number of employees. After letting go a long term CEO, we hired someone who last two weeks and now have an interim CEO! All within the last 3 months. Too much upheaval. Some benefits have been scaled back. No increase in two years.

Advice to Management

Diversify our portfolio. Listen to employee suggestions.

DynCorp, good and bad.

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the supervisors are top notch and supportive of their people. Though contracting can be difficult to get into, DynCorp's size dictates that they have to hire more personnel than their competitors. Wide variety of contracts and locations to work. Know what you are getting into, especially in war zones.

Cons

Though well paid, they pay lower than their competitors. Some supervisors seem just to be filling space, not in contact, except email, with their people; all they do is forward email up and down the line. DynCorp, at least overseas, is not supportive of family at all. You are expendable.

Advice to Management

Get supervision into the field, with their people, if you can.

Overseas Position

Pros

It was a great opportunity to get my foot in the door for working abroad.

Cons

Definitely the "Good Ole Boys Club". Many of the higher ups didn't think you were able to do a job unless you were either a man or a retired LTC or higher in your branch of service. Due to this fact that if you didn't have military experience, you didn't understand how to properly manage a dept.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to run your overseas projects like the military. Run it like a business.

7. Got to do the job I had in the USAF for a civilian company.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor

Pros

Good pay, can do the same job you had in the military.

Cons

Qatar sort of sucks, and not having SOFA status as a civilian in Qatar makes you a 2nd class citizen with no equal rights who are regarded as gods by the police.

Advice to Management

Don't be "my daddy", I am a grown man. Micromanagement sucks.

8. Huge company with many projects in various fields

Current Contractor - Operations Supervisor
    Current Contractor - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

DynCorp is a huge company that offers a wide varity of job postings around the world. The Company will generally give employees opportunities for follow-on jobs within the company as they finish their contracts (applies to year long/overseas contracting work) The Company's values are great (See below)

Cons

(Understand this is in reference to the project I work with. Talk with someone at your potential work site for appropriate details) DynCorp's ability to pay a respectable salary was struck hard coming in after another company had this project. The quality of employees that will work in this field, for this amount of money is lacking. The Company's inability to recruit quality aircraft mechanics makes it hard to get rid of substandard mechanics. It's a snowball that gets worse as top notch employees leave the program because they can make better money elsewhere, and employees that lack experience and skills for better paying jobs are left behind. The only thing that keeps this place running are the handful of mechanics that stick around because they truly care about the end user and their mission. There never seems to be enough time to really truly inculcate the Company's values into the workforce, other than through negative discipline when values are not adhered to.

Advice to Management

Find some way to offer better incentives for working here. The hourly compensation and benefits are substandard for this industry. The only reason to work on this project is the insane amount of hours we work. Allow lower and middle management to review potential incoming employee’s applications and take their advice into consideration prior to hiring them

9. Company Review

Current Employee - Staff Officer
    Current Employee - Staff Officer

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

The company is very generous in its vacation allocations, based on how long you've worked for them. The are definitely pro-veteran, and family. The atmosphere is one of teamwork.

Cons

Being off-site, sometimes information is found out slowly. Additionally, historically when training is required, we tend to get notification at the "critical" hour for it to be completed.

Advice to Management

Keep communication lines open to the lowest worker level.

10. It was a good place to work, management was pretty easy, but for most people the advancement rte is low

Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People pretty much get along, everyone was military and we all had a common goal.

Cons

Unions are not around to protect the people that want to work...definitely for the lazy.

Advice to Management

They should have incentives for people to work harder

Great pay

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, and experience! Raises were annually started off at $27.00/hr after one year of work and one raise I ended at $30/hr

Cons

The location of work was pretty bad, it was southern Maryland and the cost of living down there was outrageous.

Advice to Management

Work was great while I was there, it isn't the normal professional work environment due to the majority of the people being prior military there is a bit of hazing going on at times.

RSS Feed </> Embed