DynCorp International

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay compared to some of the other companies (in 28 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate effectively so issues constantly arise (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

COMBS Site Manager

Former Employee - COMBS Site Manager in Columbus AFB, MS
    Former Employee - COMBS Site Manager in Columbus AFB, MS

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits that started right away
    Great in the beginning as long as you hide the problems
    Meet some great people

Cons

No backing from upper management
    After 2 months since I left--still owe me 5K
    You become the enemy once you give your notice
    The more you give--the more they take

You ask for someone's opinion then just let it go in one ear and out the other

CEO has no respect for IT.

Current Employee - IT Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

Pay is the only positive

Cons

Working for DynCorp International, DI and especially in IT can be compared to the TV show survivor. Pick your allies carefully and trust no one. Immunity can be gained if you have the right relatives in DI. Some very strong technical employees have been laid off in IT b/c they didn't want to play the game anymore. Large percent of the remaining technical employees are looking to leave because of the decisions the remaining IT Directors, CIO and CEO have made. CEO Steve Gaffney believes DI IT should be run on a skeleton crew, just keeping the lights on, like IAP where he came from. To make this happen Steve Gaffney believes 50-60 hour work weeks are to be expected as the norm for exempt employees. Watch for parts of IT to start being outsourced to the cloud and third party vendors to help make this happen.

Good luck.

Pathetic Excuses for Leadership, Zero Ethics, No hope for the future

Former Employee - Middle Management in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company hires some of the best talent in the industry, so they definitely know how to spot and recruit talent. They also tend to pay very well, to a degree.

Cons

However, after hire, the company treats its employees so poorly that they cannot stay. The best employees are replaced by the boss's entourage from other companies. There is ubiquitous and well-posted Social Contract that is absolutely not followed by anyone above the position of Director. The respect is all faked (lots of "Sir" and "Ma'am") but there is no cooperation between heavily-siloed departments and open contempt from senior leadership for the middle managers and employees. The management style is by threats and intimidation. So-called Management Incentive Pay is held hostage for Yes-men only and can be withheld on a whim or to get someone to resign.

Forget the sideways, used-up retired generals and bring some real business leaders in there. Take ethics complaints seriously, instead of retaliating and then sweeping the complaints under the rug.

Former Employee of DynCorp

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

Pay is good, employees work hard and do care. Ability to dive into new technology or philosophy is very good.

Cons

Management, Directors, CEO are horrible. They Promote a system of core values, but ultimately fail to live up to these same values. The same people who promote this system could care less about their employees. They do not listen to employees nor do they have any rational thoughts and have absolutely zero leadership skills. Same DI for the last several years. Nothing has changed.

Advice to people who pump money into DI. Get rid of DI Ceo, Get rid of senior leadership. Start a fresh group of leaders who believe what they put forth and deliver results. Management is in meetings all day long and is never visible, they have no clue to what happens at DI.

A political battlefield that always kept me on my toes.

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation package, but worse than KBR under the same contract.

Cons

Where to begin...

The pay was bad compared to other companies. The benefits were bad compared to other companies. Depending on the site manager--so this varies widely--they sometimes are not willing to work with individual employees with issues. This company underbids contracts so bad they are often under-staffed and under-funded so bad they run a constant risk of losing contracts they have obtained.

Pay better--you pay for the quality you get. It shows on the overseas contracts, too. You want to know why there is such a high turnover rate? You don't have well enough for people to stick around because you underbid every contract overseas that you obtain! Then you shove LEAN 6 SIGMA down everyone's throat like it's the word of God here to help the customer, when it's only there to help the company stay in the black for the entire year.

Company Does Not Value Talented Professionals/Subject Matter Experts

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The cadre of professionals, who serve as mentors and professional advisors here in Kabul, is extraordinary. Deployment Center in Fort Worth was well organized and well run.

Cons

The list of cons is overwhelming, at least here in Kabul. The management epitomizes arrogance and has no idea of the talent and contributions being made by his advisors--let alone their names. Living conditions are terrible here in Kabul. Although we are used to living in austere conditions, we rate more than 45 square feet per person, and we don't appreciate living in slums with unvetted TCNs; these concerns have been brought to management's attention with no action. The team leaders are afraid to raise concerns for fear of reprisals and termination--DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE HERE. The professionals and subject matter experts are loyal to the mission first and never to DynCorp and the mythical five (5) points of its star. Many of the professional workforce (retired O-6 and E-9) won't put DynCorp on their resumes. The operations/business management (who live on the overhead of the professionals) are inept, unconcerned, and surly. I was personally left stranded at Kabul airport for three hours, my Interpreter lost a day's worth of pay, and one of the business office personnel was told not to input an Interpreter's pay because it was five (5) minutes late and off the clock. (This particular interpreter was working in Southern Afghanistan and there were network connectivity issues....he only gets paid once per month). Attrition is running approximately 30%...a completely tragic and avoidable situation.

Live up to the DynCorp star. Stop underbidding projects and pay your talent more. Learn your employees' names and don't force your valuable people to live in inhumane conditions with unvetted TCNs.

Load Planner

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

decent pay but the leadership sucks!

Cons

THEY SUCK! Crappy living conditions and horrible pay for Afghanistan (the lowest I've seen)

Learn how to lead and manage people...lets try hiring someone other than ex-felons

It is very ineresting to work with the company

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I am a contract staff of the brocker Mathew and associates. which is a manpower consultancy. they are recruting candidates for Dyncorp So I am waorking for Dyncorp to complect the process of the Indian candidates those who are hired by DI

Cons

learned a lots of new thing ... new sofeware, creating candidates profile making them to complect the paper work... etc...

Maagement is ok.. they use to dicuss he matter with team learders only not with the admins....

If you are Asian this is not the company for you specially in Afghanistan

Current Employee - Cargo Document Specialist in Kandahar (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Cargo Document Specialist in Kandahar (Afghanistan)

Pros

Pay is decent on a tcn standard

Cons

Highly discriminatory towards asians it starts right from the time you land in Kuwait ,But thats just a start of things , Once you reach Afghanistan you will know racism is a reality :) ,If you are a TCN or an FN as they call it now you will have diffrent living standards (horribly diffrent tent) ,limited access to dining facilities ,and no communication(They take away your mobile phones stating security)But its really under the discretion of DynCorp ,You may or maynot have limited access to internet depending on your supervisor in my case i had a good one .You will also get 1 paid R&R per year if you are a TCN compared to 2 paid R&Rs for expats(Americans) this is becuase DynCorp believes Asian bodies dont get fatigued as much as our American counterparts ,I was initially offered a contract of 49000 USD per annum at the second year of renewal they told me the HR had made a mistake the previous year on my particular postion and its down by half about 24000USD and this happened to a lot of other peoplein my same positon . Thats when i decided to leave Afghanistan .For an Asian is a good company to work if its the the last job on earth not if you are in a job and doing ok.All of my above comments is on a TCN/FN persepctive if you are an expat (American) conditions are way diffrent.

Not sure !

Employment

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good policy of taking care of the good ol boy club

Cons

most everything about the company was not good

dont say it unless you mean it.

DynCorp International Photos