DynCorp International Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

3.4

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone (in 25 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know what is going on or how to run the program (in 11 reviews)

• Being away from home, but that's expected when signing up (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee of DynCorp

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

Pay is good, employees work hard and do care. Ability to dive into new technology or philosophy is very good.

Cons

Management, Directors, CEO are horrible. They Promote a system of core values, but ultimately fail to live up to these same values. The same people who promote this system could care less about their employees. They do not listen to employees nor do they have any rational thoughts and have absolutely zero leadership skills. Same DI for the last several years. Nothing has changed.

Advice to people who pump money into DI. Get rid of DI Ceo, Get rid of senior leadership. Start a fresh group of leaders who believe what they put forth and deliver results. Management is in meetings all day long and is never visible, they have no clue to what happens at DI.

A political battlefield that always kept me on my toes.

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Good vacation package, but worse than KBR under the same contract.

Cons

Where to begin...

The pay was bad compared to other companies. The benefits were bad compared to other companies. Depending on the site manager--so this varies widely--they sometimes are not willing to work with individual employees with issues. This company underbids contracts so bad they are often under-staffed and under-funded so bad they run a constant risk of losing contracts they have obtained.

Pay better--you pay for the quality you get. It shows on the overseas contracts, too. You want to know why there is such a high turnover rate? You don't have well enough for people to stick around because you underbid every contract overseas that you obtain! Then you shove LEAN 6 SIGMA down everyone's throat like it's the word of God here to help the customer, when it's only there to help the company stay in the black for the entire year.

Company Does Not Value Talented Professionals/Subject Matter Experts

Current Employee - Senior Advisor  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The cadre of professionals, who serve as mentors and professional advisors here in Kabul, is extraordinary. Deployment Center in Fort Worth was well organized and well run.

Cons

The list of cons is overwhelming, at least here in Kabul. The management epitomizes arrogance and has no idea of the talent and contributions being made by his advisors--let alone their names. Living conditions are terrible here in Kabul. Although we are used to living in austere conditions, we rate more than 45 square feet per person, and we don't appreciate living in slums with unvetted TCNs; these concerns have been brought to management's attention with no action. The team leaders are afraid to raise concerns for fear of reprisals and termination--DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE HERE. The professionals and subject matter experts are loyal to the mission first and never to DynCorp and the mythical five (5) points of its star. Many of the professional workforce (retired O-6 and E-9) won't put DynCorp on their resumes. The operations/business management (who live on the overhead of the professionals) are inept, unconcerned, and surly. I was personally left stranded at Kabul airport for three hours, my Interpreter lost a day's worth of pay, and one of the business office personnel was told not to input an Interpreter's pay because it was five (5) minutes late and off the clock. (This particular interpreter was working in Southern Afghanistan and there were network connectivity issues....he only gets paid once per month). Attrition is running approximately 30%...a completely tragic and avoidable situation.

Live up to the DynCorp star. Stop underbidding projects and pay your talent more. Learn your employees' names and don't force your valuable people to live in inhumane conditions with unvetted TCNs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Load Planner

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

decent pay but the leadership sucks!

Cons

THEY SUCK! Crappy living conditions and horrible pay for Afghanistan (the lowest I've seen)

Learn how to lead and manage people...lets try hiring someone other than ex-felons

It is very ineresting to work with the company

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative  in  New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I am a contract staff of the brocker Mathew and associates. which is a manpower consultancy. they are recruting candidates for Dyncorp So I am waorking for Dyncorp to complect the process of the Indian candidates those who are hired by DI

Cons

learned a lots of new thing ... new sofeware, creating candidates profile making them to complect the paper work... etc...

Maagement is ok.. they use to dicuss he matter with team learders only not with the admins....

If you are Asian this is not the company for you specially in Afghanistan

Current Employee - Cargo Document Specialist  in  Kandahar (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Cargo Document Specialist in Kandahar (Afghanistan)

Pros

Pay is decent on a tcn standard

Cons

Highly discriminatory towards asians it starts right from the time you land in Kuwait ,But thats just a start of things , Once you reach Afghanistan you will know racism is a reality :) ,If you are a TCN or an FN as they call it now you will have diffrent living standards (horribly diffrent tent) ,limited access to dining facilities ,and no communication(They take away your mobile phones stating security)But its really under the discretion of DynCorp ,You may or maynot have limited access to internet depending on your supervisor in my case i had a good one .You will also get 1 paid R&R per year if you are a TCN compared to 2 paid R&Rs for expats(Americans) this is becuase DynCorp believes Asian bodies dont get fatigued as much as our American counterparts ,I was initially offered a contract of 49000 USD per annum at the second year of renewal they told me the HR had made a mistake the previous year on my particular postion and its down by half about 24000USD and this happened to a lot of other peoplein my same positon . Thats when i decided to leave Afghanistan .For an Asian is a good company to work if its the the last job on earth not if you are in a job and doing ok.All of my above comments is on a TCN/FN persepctive if you are an expat (American) conditions are way diffrent.

Not sure !

Employment

Former Employee - Senior Buyer  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good policy of taking care of the good ol boy club

Cons

most everything about the company was not good

dont say it unless you mean it.

Do Not Work Here.... You Will Regret It!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location was centralize. Worked with a few good people.

Cons

Poor management skills, poor pay for work you put in, no employee moral, unreasonable workloads and over time hours. Managment is very narrowed in its views. Most people are not personable. Company encourages advancment and growth within, but when you actually apply for it you are denied because your current manager has to approve the move and does not. Management has a lack of encouragment with their employees.

Allow the employees to review their managers in addition to annual reviews. Learn to compromise and know that employees have lives outside of the company. Learn to show appreciation to your employees and do not talk down to them. So acting as if your employees are part of an assembly line and know they are real people.

No employee growth and too much ignorance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kandahar (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kandahar (Afghanistan)

Pros

the only advantage is that you are sure what you signed for is what you get nothing special

Cons

war zone dangers as usual

Can you just look at what one can actually do rather than keeping one person in one position we got talent

Amazing company to work with.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work culture, ethics, colleagues, diversity

Cons

Difficult geographic locations to work in

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!