DynCorp International Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Amazing company to work with.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work culture, ethics, colleagues, diversity

Cons

Difficult geographic locations to work in

2. Employment

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good policy of taking care of the good ol boy club

Cons

most everything about the company was not good

Advice to Management

dont say it unless you mean it.

3. Load Planner

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

decent pay but the leadership sucks!

Cons

THEY SUCK! Crappy living conditions and horrible pay for Afghanistan (the lowest I've seen)

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead and manage people...lets try hiring someone other than ex-felons

5. Company Does Not Value Talented Professionals/Subject Matter Experts

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cadre of professionals, who serve as mentors and professional advisors here in Kabul, is extraordinary. Deployment Center in Fort Worth was well organized and well run.

Cons

The list of cons is overwhelming, at least here in Kabul. The management epitomizes arrogance and has no idea of the talent and contributions being made by his advisors--let alone their names. Living conditions are terrible here in Kabul. Although we are used to living in austere conditions, we rate more than 45 square feet per person, and we don't appreciate living in slums with unvetted TCNs; these concerns have been brought to management's attention with no action. The team leaders are afraid to raise concerns for fear of reprisals and termination--DON'T BLOW THE WHISTLE HERE. The professionals and subject matter experts are loyal to the mission first and never to DynCorp and the mythical five (5) points of its star. Many of the professional workforce (retired O-6 and E-9) won't put DynCorp on their resumes. The operations/business management (who live on the overhead of the professionals) are inept, unconcerned, and surly. I was personally left stranded at Kabul airport for three hours, my Interpreter lost a day's worth of pay, and one of the business office personnel was told not to input an Interpreter's pay because it was five (5) minutes late and off the clock. (This particular interpreter was working in Southern Afghanistan and there were network connectivity issues....he only gets paid once per month). Attrition is running approximately 30%...a completely tragic and avoidable situation.

Advice to Management

Live up to the DynCorp star. Stop underbidding projects and pay your talent more. Learn your employees' names and don't force your valuable people to live in inhumane conditions with unvetted TCNs.

6. Great pay, but prepare to have skin the thickness of kevlar, in order to deal with morons and management

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Lashkar Gāh (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Lashkar Gāh (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay Working with US and foreign military

Cons

Working 84 hours a week Working in dangerous places of the world, such as Afghanistan Management without the actual management experience, fired or transferred from other companies/locations, demoralizing the crew. Extremely beurocratic way of doing things. Promotion based uniformly on who you know and what friends you have - merit is at the bottom of the list. Hiring of unqualified/inexperienced crew, who through connections and intimidation reach management positions. Lots of harrassment and downrite racist behaviour towards racial and ethnic groups.

Advice to Management

Management in KBR brought the company down, and now they have all transferred to DynCorp.

Horrible Company. After two years, I am only glad that the paychecks come on time.

Former Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never had any pay issues. THe company pays to get you into and out of theater.

Cons

Local management is often incompetent. Site leaders seem to rise to leadership through attrition rather than any qualifications or skills. Site leaders are often not qualified and use poor leadership techniques (e.g. micromanagement) to hang onto their positions and enforce rules that often seem arbitrary. Contract bidders underbid highly skilled, technical positions (Air Traffic Control) and overbid support positions (Airfield Operations), resulting in the former being paid at a higher rate than the latter. Moreover, the low pay results in a disproportionate number of marginally or un-qualified personnel on contract, or personnel who have difficulty getting jobs in the US because of undesirable personality traits. Redundancy at all levels. Training documents must be reproduced for each level because operations at varying levels are not effectively communicating with each other. Certifications that are not pertinent to positions are copied and kept on file by the company. The benefits package is weak, especially for a multimillion-dollar corporation with over 100,000 employees.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of vetting site leadership. Ensure that pay scales are congruent with industry norms (Air traffic Controllers with DI make an average of 30k below industry norms).

8. A huge disappointment.

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The good thing about DynCorp is... I don't know; frankly, that's a very short list. The paychecks come on time, and I think that pretty much sums it up.

Cons

If the long hours and hostile environment (these are givens, since the work itself is in Afghanistan) aren't enough, you have to contend with rank incompetence at all levels of management. Cronyism and the "GOB" network rule the day. Failing that, people who can bluff well rise through the ranks at blistering speeds, while competent people with actual records of accomplishment are marginalized to the point where the former taking credit for the efforts of the latter seems normal. Blatantly abusive supervisors and "problem children" are shuffled throughout the project, instead of being demoted or fired for their offenses. Petty territorial fights over jurisdiction or responsibility are part and parcel of an average day with DynCorp on the LOGCAP project. Plumbers and pest controllers are elevated to site management positions, yet retain territorial preference for their own former bailiwick and biases against other functional areas, as well as an ignorance of those in more highly skilled functional areas.

Advice to Management

Pay for better people. Given that you're paying well below what most of the other contracting companies have been paying, it's no wonder that there's so much strife throughout the project. You're paying below the average for the area, and so you're getting largely the dregs of the contracting world. You get what you pay for, and trash is cheap. Additionally, changing vacation policies without grandfathering in those who've already been approved for vacation is the kind of slipshod nonsense one would expect from a shady sales company, not a multibillion-dollar government contractor. Lastly, the benefits package you offer is atrocious. Your competitors largely offer much better packages for their employees than you do. Our plan is garbage, and smacks of someone in HR getting kickbacks; seriously, a company of this size and the best we get is a benefits package that would look thin coming from a company a tenth this size.

9. Did not provide a timely response to a hazmat health issue

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

It is an international company, perhaps the adventure to other countries, cultures, however the market is changing, expect a reduction in positions overall.

Cons

Lack of response from headquarters, even after I emailed the CEO about the issue. I requested a change of work area from local management, that was denied. It was a health hazard to all workers, including other military groups, and contract company employees. I heard in the aftermath, people have issues talking, are coughing, have headaches. Why do large corporation, supposedly experts in the field lack adequate procedures to prevent future health issues that their employees may experience. Not my idea of a company with great values, and the values they say is there operational foundation. No training in my field of IT. Corporate headquarters was not timely in IT issues, in adding support to overseas base. The management does not have the skill or the knowledge to adequately create an efficient and effective IT service level. No training in my field of IT. Corporate headquarters was not timely in IT issues, in adding support to overseas base. The IT management, locally and at the headquarters, does not have the skill or the knowledge to adequately create an efficient and effective IT service level.

Advice to Management

I advised the management, never heard back. The CEO was replaced, however I doubt it was due to my email. Does management read this.... I doubt it. Workers make companies money, why allow future suffering from health issues?

10. Contracted Civilian Police Advisor

Current Employee - Police Advisor in Baghdad (Iraq)
    Current Employee - Police Advisor in Baghdad (Iraq)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compared to the positions I've had contracting, DynCorp has a fairly efficient HR and logistics Department.

Cons

The pay was low for the industry. Management seemed to get hired based on who they knew rather than qualifications. The treatment of employees was terrible leaving most in my program without the too necessary to do the job. Also, there was a VERY broad mission statement that did not provide guidance on what the customer expected. Bottom line, I do not think they were interested in performance on the job. If you were breathing and deployable they could get you into country and get their money.

Advice to Management

Have a little pride in the mission and plan to produce some deliverables. Stop promoting solely based on resume, just because a guy has 30 years of experience doesn't mean he is motivated to do the job.

11. Foot in the door for a better job

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - Security Specialist in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for Dyn-corp got me my foot in the door for being able to transition to a better security contracting companies.

Cons

They try to screw you every chance they get and were not helpful with any problems that arose.

Advice to Management

Look out for all employees on every level. Even just showing an effort to help employees will increase moral which in turn will increase productivity.

RSS Feed </> Embed