Dynegy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert C. Flexon

Good.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dynegy

Prosevery other Friday off is nice to have.

ConsManagement needs to not be so greedy.

It was a paycheck.

Power Plant Operator (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

I worked at Dynegy full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay and the hours weren't bad. Fellow coworkers were good people to work with.

ConsOld decrepit facility held together with "bailing wire and duct tape". Lots of deferred maintenance on very old temperamental equipment. Every call to provide power to the grid was an adventure and not a good one.
Little potential for advancement and not much direction from management from a remote headquarters..

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some money into your facility and make it functional.

Company lost its luster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dynegy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe pay was good and great people that weren't in management.
Good place to work for if you are starting out.

ConsManagement was stuck on themselves. Philosophy of "Do as I say not as I do"
Lack of mentoring
Departments lacked competent talent

Selfish

Chief Control Operator (Former Employee)
Newburgh, NY

I worked at Dynegy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey will pay a good salary

ConsThey are selfish people that will think nothing of shutting down a plant, while reaping all that they can from their employees and the local community before heading out of town. Dynegy spent more on lawyers in order to get out of paying what was due to their employees than they would have just to settle with them to begin with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some morals and concern for the human beings that work for you, no matter which part of the country they may come from.

You never know if or when your job will be eliminated.

I have been working at Dynegy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some really great people to work with.

ConsLack of growth opportunity, decreasing benefits, lack of appreciation, increasing job absorption as people are let go

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate communicate communicate. Employees should not be the last to find out about things happening within the company.

Started off great but has went downhill fast

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dynegy

ProsGreat compensation and benefits. 9/80s was a great idea but they were recently taken away

ConsLack of communication from management or told one thing but the result is just the opposite

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open and candid with your employees

Was a great place to work before the downturn.

I have been working at Dynegy

ProsBefore the downturn, compensation and benefits a little ahead of the curve. At one point the company actually cared about employee morale.

ConsSince the downturn and aborted buyouts, working at Dynegy has become a daily game of wait and see. Not much forward thinking being projected.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key in times of hardship. Closed doors and eerie silence is not the way to ensure continued support from the bottom up. Try treating each employee as a valued stakeholders and not as expendable cattle. A lot of talent could be saved that way.

Ok but good ole boy system still active

Production Specialist (Former Employee)
Baldwin, IL

I worked at Dynegy

ProsDynegy allowed staff employees to work a 9/80 schedule which gave every other Friday off. Pay and benefits are in line with industry average. Company provides short term incentives.

ConsCompany sold over half of it's assets and advancement opportunities disappeared. Senior leaders promote via good ole boy system rather than by merit and potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership should take a better look at succession planning. There is a reason the company had to sell half of its asset base.

Goods and Bads

Hourly Employee (Operations Or Maintenance) (Current Employee)
Morro Bay, CA

I have been working at Dynegy

ProsDynegy acquired our power plant in 2007. Overall it has been a reasonable company to work for. The benefits and salary package that was negotiated by our union was good and for the most part I believe that the majority of people were happy with it. The company allowed a significant amount of time off for one of the employees for the birth of her daughter and several weeks of post natal care, this was in part due to California law, but the company gets credit where it is due for allowing her to use vacation and sick time to make up for shortcomings in pay.

ConsThe company as a whole is failing miserably but has amazingly stayed afloat this long. The company jumped on the debt bandwagon like every other nitwit in this country from the home flippers to the too big to fail banks. The lack of fundamental economic understanding and foresight is excusable for the GED crowd, but if your in an executive position you'd better be damn sure you're too big to fail before you take on a debt to asset ratio that big. Dynegy was not too big to fail. Recently the company has given the union and represented employees a big middle finger during contract negotiations. This is due to the fact that the company is going to be acquired and split up by Blackstone Group and NRG and therefor had no incentive to negotiate until after the deal passed. This didn't stop them from wasting many hours of the union reps time. Any shareholder with a significant amount of money in Dynegy has basically lost their ass.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with your future endeavors, I hope they are more successful than Dynegy.

OK

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dynegy

ProsPeople are nice. 9/80's a good.

ConsPitiful stock price. No social events.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices and circulate among the workers.

Worked for Dynegy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dynegy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dynegy CEO Robert C. Flexon. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Dynegy employees.