Dynetics

Marc J. Bendickson

Highly Ethical, Great Values

Current Employee - Engineer III in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an excellent company to work especially for engineers. They offer very competitive salaries and one of the best benefits (locally). The company is highly ethical - in their dealings with employees, contracts and customers. They offer a lot of lateral movement, internal training (Dynetics University) and external (must fit your development plan/ current responsibilities). Their upper management is exceptional.

Cons

Hard to think ...
    Needs to diversify into other things (non-DoD)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with smart people, plenty of interesting work

Cons

Have to deal with gov't bureaucracy

Keep pursuing hardware biz

Great place to work

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Dynetics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the people of the company was very supportive and nonjudgmental. Regardless of what position you had in the company you were treated as equal.

Cons

Upward movement was difficult in certain departments. It seemed that you would have to know someone on the inside in order to get hired unless you were and engineer.

Develop a more clear career ladder. Continue to stay with the government work, but branch more into the commercial sector. Allow the commercial sections of the company to be able to move more quickly and be more creative than the government side.

I lucked into a job here and was said to leave it when I moved

Former Employee - Engineer III in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Dynetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dynetics is full of agreeable, capable, smart people. This goes a long way in making any place to work for great.

Cons

Compensation is geared towards ESOP rather than straight salary in order to engender loyalty, I would rather have cash and not have a vesting schedule to keep me in line. Carrots and sticks shouldn't be needed, and aren't at Dynetics, which makes it all the more puzzling.

The coffee is terrible.

Wonderful company! I highly recommend them.

I worked at Dynetics full-time

Pros

Great people. Like going to church. Their interview process is fantastic. HR group is super!

Cons

No fries with the Chick-Fil-A lunches on Mondays is a bit disappointing. But besides that, it is great place. The company has their values & beliefs in the right place.

The two top legacy managers are set to retire within the next year. The new folks need to continue down the path that Marc and Tom have created.

The single most challenging - and rewarding - job I've ever had... and I've had a lot of jobs.

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Boredom is not an option, as no two days are ever the same. I rarely require or get direct daily supervision. I have a job to do, many tasks to attend to, several people for whom I am responsible, and managers even three generations above me sincerely care about whether I have the resources I need on a daily basis - but they don't intervene or micro-manage. They encourage, and they resource when/where necessary, according to my requests.

Cons

Being an employee owned company, being a company that grows based on the activities and interest levels of the employees... the only negative that comes to my mind at the moment is that I've only been involved here for a few years.

When you stop by today to see if I need anything, please bring some coffee.

Excellent company, amazing place to work.

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Excellent staff/coworkers. Friendly, professional, and technically excellent.
    - Industry leading benefits. You won't find better benefits anywhere in the industry.
    - Fantastic facilities and capabilities.
    - Top notch leadership from executive down to lower-management levels.
    - Great job security.
    - If you love science, technology, and learning more each day, this is an exciting place to be!

Cons

I refuse to acknowledge these as "cons" but simply "things to be aware of".

- The culture is very conservative. Some reviewers have called it "churchy". For some this is great. If you are not comfortable in this culture, consider carefully if this is a good fit for you.

- Some have mentioned that it is difficult to advance. Dynetics is staffed with people who range from "very very good" to "excellent" at their jobs. To advance when surrounded by excellence, you need to either (1) be truly exceptional, or (2) out work everyone else. You will not show up and climb the ladder easily here, but it can be done. I've seen the company identify and rapidly advance some people, but they really, really worked for it. That said, due to job security and benefits, you can do quite well as a rank-and-file employee at Dynetics.

- Many employees primary work location is "off site" at Redstone Arsenal. This can sometimes lead to feeling disconnected from the larger company. It takes some effort to attend company functions, take classes, and work your way into the company culture if off site. It is well worth it however, and highly recommended if you work here.

- Upper management may be too focused on the space segment. The defense side needs your leadership and clout to help position us for major opportunities.
    - I suggest a company suggestion box. We don't have one, so there is not a systematic way to feed suggestions to upper management.

Excellent Management Team

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Dynetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance along with compensation and retirement

Cons

Slow in developing new technical skills

Lacking in employee support

Former Employee - Applications Web Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Applications Web Developer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Dynetics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynetics Technical Services serves an awesome customer at NASA, and there are several job openings.

Cons

DTS does not provide competitive pay, low at best. They really don't care about their employees. They are cutting salaries, and replacing long term employees with cheap employees. A lot of employees are not happy here! They used to be flexible, but now they only care about their bottom line, not their employees.

Your best asset are your employees who know how to take care of the customer, you should take care of this asset better. Just because you are rebidding the contract, doesn't mean you forget who got you there! Your employees!

Superb Comapny in every respect!!

Former Employee - Director SAN Antonio Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Director SAN Antonio Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Dynetics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A very professional company that provides outstanding support to the customer and takes great care of the employee owners. there are none better

Cons

Can be a bit Huntsville centric but then again thsat is the prime market area for the company

Keep up the great work!