Dyson Reviews

Fast-paced and fun!

Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a new college grad, I was looking for a company where I could use my brain, but also have fun. Dyson is the best of both worlds! Right off the bat I was given a large amount of responsibility managing an ad campaign. I was able to work with all parts of the business - marketing, legal, finance, logistics, sales, and graphics. Not only that, but we are a global company and I am able to work very closely with people from all around the world. Every day poses a new challenge and I get to interact with people constantly (a huge plus for me, because I don't like the idea of being chained to a desk in a cubicle). The group that works at Dyson is downright hilarious. They are also incredibly patient when it comes to helping out a new youngster in the office. And on that note, our office is amazing - a completely open floor plan (no cubicles!). As an entry level employee, I sit just a chair roll away from some of our senior management. Our management is wonderful - approachable and easy to talk to. (And they have a wonderful sense of humor! Yes this is a professional place, but that doesn't mean we don’t joke around). Do I even need to mention our products? They’re innovative, premium, and colorful! Working at Dyson is what you make of it. If you’re enthusiastic and happy, people will respond positively. You can make a great career at Dyson – the choice is yours.

Cons

As a company, Dyson has a very set way of doing things. I think as a company we need to step out of our comfort zone to move forward. As for Dyson’s employees, we should have more in-office activities and contests (happy hours, events in the café, raffles, lunches, etc.) I think Dyson is headed down the direction of obtaining that “work hard play hard” attitude that so many companies strive for, but we just need to hone into that together. The more our employees are able to interact, the more cohesive we will be, and the better we will work as a team. Also, when walking down the main office hallway, please people, keep your heads up and say hi to each other!

Keep bringing people under your wings, it's much appreciated! You rock! Be open and clear with the people working directly under you. I want to get things right for this company and transparency is key – across all levels and across all departments.

Former IT Employee

Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Dyson Chicago office can be a fun environment and has lots of nice perks, such as summer hours, friendly people, casual dress code, great products and brand, which looks impressive on a resume. You really do have the opportunity to take ownership of projects/tasks (depending on the dept.). Team/co-workers/end-users were generally easy to work with compared to past employers.

Cons

Little-to-no formal training. You're sort of left to "figure it out", which can be empowering, but also frustrating. Most senior-level management is British (we are a UK company), which can be discouraging to those seeking to advance and grow into the next level. The call center in Aurora is seen as a red-headed step-child and its customer service agents are vastly under-valued. They are even forced to have a holiday party (no drinks allowed) separate to the rest of the company due to past unruly behavior. All of this while the rest of the company proceeds to get obliterated with a 5-hour open bar. Dyson tends to under pay their employees that are below senior management. There has been a trend of hiring new grads over the past 2 years - I wonder why! Dyson generally frowns upon raise requests from long-term and loyal employees but won't hesitate to relocate a UK employee, effectively subsidizing their vehicle, housing, day-care, etc., for 6 months before sending them back across the pond. OR they'll spend upwards of 10-20k on something such as a Mini Cooper to display in the lobby area, for reasons I'll never understand.

Ask your employees what makes them happy. A couple of years ago HR launched a recognition campaign whereby employees were giving "thank you" cards for a job well done, in lieu of a bonus or monetary reward. Do you really think this motivates people?

Great Company to work for - Proud to be part of the Dyson team.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Products, Very smart/apt co-workers, Company Values, Culture, Job Autonomy (managers trust you will get the job done), Compensation, Benefits, Work Life/Balance, etc.

Cons

None - I love working here. There are standard expectations, which are very reasonable: Punctuality, flexibility (spikes in workload), open floor (no cubicles) environment at the Chicago office and get your work done. For my analytical role, there is a lot of collaboration with different internal customers and this has really helped my development. I'm involved in the analysis, strategy and brainstorming discussions. I understand that while this role and company is a nice fit for me, it might not be the same for others. But if you come in with a good attitude, team-first mentality, & good work ethic, the opportunity at Dyson will take you to the next level.

If there is one recommendation, I would say encourage more collaboration/interaction amongst our Call Center Phone/Web Agents in Aurora and our Chicago Office. It could be via Job Shadowing, Mentoring or a Joint Annual Outing. My analyst role is to support the customer service team and I've had the pleasure to listen in on their calls and basically walk in their shoes. We have numerous agents who go above and beyond the call of duty by providing great customer service. Upper management is aware of the great job our customer support agents do, but I also want to ensure that all our teams are aware and recognize the great job they do. I also want to give a special mention to our Technicians at our Dyson Service Centers. Like our customer support agents, they also go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction, justified by the 94% NPS score. They motivate me to support my internal customers the same way they support Dyson customers.

Fantastic Place to Work & Highly Recommend it, But There Are a Few Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dyson is a fantastic place to work which is tailored for individuals who can roll with the punches and enjoy new challenges, which might have been outside of their initial role’s scope. The work life balance is great since it incorporates flex hours, plenty of PTO & sick days, as well as great benefits package. On top of these great benefits you also can take advantage of a very generous discount program for the new products / technology which is released.

The company has also gone through a bit of a re-org which has been fantastic for Dyson and I think it addresses many of the cons provided by the other reviewers. The new members of the management team (for the most part) have degrees that support their positions, experience in other industries that can be utilized to help Dyson progress, and they are very approachable. I specifically called out “for the most part” since that is where my input on what can be improved upon comes into play.

Another great “pro” for the company is that they have realized the importance of recruiting and retaining talented employees. When I was first hired there was always a priority around the engineers, but the other departmental functions were a bit of an afterthought. With the new management team however, it appears that they have realized that every department is a necessary component which drives the business forward.

Dyson has started addressing its online presence by responding to reviews (positive & negative), which I am huge proponent of. When purchasing a premium product with a higher price point, it is only natural to hop on the internet and start looking into customer reviews. This same principle is especially prevalent when looking for a new position, thus the popularity of Glassdoor. If I am going to leave my current employer and take a chance with Dyson, I want to see what past and current employees experienced. If I see a slew of reviews which all touch on how horrible Dyson is without a response, it only leaves me to assume that maybe these reviewers are not just sour with the company and have legitimate criticisms. Now that Dyson is responding to the reviews, it takes away the credibility of the reviewers who spouted on about how much Dyson doesn’t care about its employees. If the company is willing to have senior members respond to reviews, I can only assume that they care about the current and future employees a great deal.

Cons

Just like anything else in life there is a Yin to the Yang, so inevitably there are things that could be worked on. The only con that I have with Dyson is that some of the middle management (below director level & certainly not the majority) really have no idea what they are doing and are downright bullies. A select number of individuals have taken the union worker’s mind-set which I perceive as, hold my position for as long as I possibly can and not train those under me in order to retain my position. These individuals are narcissistic in nature and will continue to spout how much they are needed, but in reality if you need to make a case to why you should stay you probably are not needed. I refer to this phenomenon as “Bob Syndrome,” for those of you who have ever seen Office Space. Consultant:” What exactly do you do here Bob?” Bob (screaming): “I AM GOOD AT DEALING WITH PEOPLE.”

The most unfortunate part about the situation is that their teams have great ideas and want to be innovative but are too afraid to do so. The team’s ideas never come to fruition since the bad middle managers will either bury the idea so it will never see the light of day or simply yell and berate you until you just won’t make any more suggestions. By doing this these types of individuals can hide the fact that their processes and procedures that they instilled have been horribly inefficient for years form their superiors. I have personally seen things that could have been done in minutes rather than hours and simple process change (Six Sigma) what would easily save upwards of $100,000 annually. It is very easy to spot these individuals, simply ask them a few very basic questions regarding what they claim to be experts in. I will guarantee that if you ask them for a simple document or report which pertains to their discipline that they will not be able to produce it while you are there. They will then find someone who actually has the skillset (either on their team or another), have them do it, and then return to you saying that they had completed it.

I think the Senior Leadership Team is fantastic, so please keep up the great inertia that you have obtained. I would take a close look at the individuals in your leading leaders and leading others bucket and determine of the individuals in those roles are truly beacons of inspiration and camaraderie or if in reality they are actually holding the team back and leaching off their successes.

Great Induction Process!

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined the Dyson team recently, and have been pleasantly surprised with the induction process for new hires. Though, the organization has experienced frequent leadership changes, the HR team has set importance on hiring the right talent and ensuring these individuals receive the proper induction to the organization and start adding value to the team quickly. The process included formal leadership training, 1:1 sessions with ley stakeholders, as well as trips into the field to gain an understanding of our unique go-to-market strategy. The time and investment by Dyson has by far been the best induction experience throughout my professional career.

Cons

There is still a concern among tenured employees of the past direction of the organization, but new leadership is shaping the culture and allowing autonomy and a localized direction in the US market.

Continue the path which has been set in the past several months as the team is truly buying into the excitement and opportunities within the Dyson organization.

Diverse Experience & Passionate People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Dyson isn't the typical corporate atmosphere - growth here isn't necessarily part of a predetermined path, it's up to employees for where they want to take their careers. There is a lot of opportunity, and I don't feel stuck within one department or career path. I've been able to learn skills that I normally wouldn't, and I get to work and interact with smart and creative people on a daily basis.

There is also a great energy in the office and a passion for what we do. I get a sense that our employees believe in the products and I really feel the impact of my efforts. I like working towards a common goal and the collaboration and teamwork that comes along with it at Dyson.

Cons

Certain systems that we have in place are outdated vs. the innovative technology Dyson creates, and the UK office doesn't seem as concerned about separating and defining the US culture vs. the Malmesbury HQ culture.

Start breaking through the barriers between the US office and the UK. Continue offering flexible growth opportunities to your employees, and being as transparent as possible about the business through avenues like our monthly cafe briefings.

A vacuum - but not the kind you're thinking of.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity - both for the company to actually be all it's cracked up to be and for responsibility before it's earned. There are some great people here and new leadership that could do good, if they were only allowed.

Cons

Do you like to play games? Were you in the chess club? Are you British? If not, is your favorite word 'yes'? Do you wish you could live in the colonies pre-1776? Do you believe that laughter is wholly inappropriate at work? In a skills assessment was creativity always what you lacked most? If you answered yes to most of these questions then you might do well here.

People with ideas do not flourish here (unless you're an engineer). This is a place where mediocrity is king. If you can stay glued to a computer and show a lack of emotion then you will probably be promoted before you've even had your year review.

The British are coming and they've come to suck America dry. The company wholly relies on sales from the US market yet refuses to put anyone in leadership from the US. There's a complete refusal to listen to reason and a dogged stubbornness to do things exactly the same as 21 years ago - just take a look at the approach to social media.

And beware of the 'brainstorm', aka the I'm going to pick your brain because you actually have ideas and then I'm going to steal them so that I can get promoted because that will demonstrate that I'm practical and pragmatic and know how to try co-workers for what they are, robots of course.

Get rid of the problem management in the US office. Reward people that actually live up to the company 'values' you shove down people's throats. Allow the US market to be what it should - a leader to the rest of the world that brings in 30% of your profit.

Sep 29, 2014US President

I read your posting with a mixture of hope and confidence, but also a bit of disappointment. The disappointment is that we have lost you. You clearly have so much passion – enough for you to write ... More

Passion and work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's really exciting to be a part of a company that is so passionate for what we do. Everyone here is so proud to be a part of Dyson. And the company does a great job of keeping everyone informed of what is going on in the business and what new products we having coming out. The company also wants to get new products into our hands, so they are very generous with special discounts.

Also, if you want work-life balance, you'll get it at Dyson US - at least in the Chicago corporate office. We work hard during the work day, but management respects our personal time. I have not once felt the pressure to check my email in the evening, over the weekend, or while on vacation. And you rarely see any email coming through from off hours. You don't see companies doing that very often anymore.

Cons

The office environment is an open floor plan, meaning there are no cubicles or offices. You can hear everything around you. And, not having cubicle walls to create a 'barrier' makes it easy for people to interrupt you while you're trying to concentrate. But, at the same time, it makes it easier for you to walk up to people to get their input - that helps when you need to get something done.

Continue searching for new ways to engage your employees. Over the last year, I've seen a positive change in the way senior leaders interact with everyone and all of the different fun things they're trying to do. Keep at it!

Jul 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! It’s great to hear that you have had an overall positive experience at Dyson. We certainly feel a sense of pride in the work that we do and the products we offer ... More

10. I applied twice before I was accepted for an interview.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, great work environment, great products, great discounts, great everything! The expectations in the call center are very reasonable. They have a great sick day policy and vacation policy. When I was there Dyson did there best to give their employees the best work place.

Cons

No cons, just standard policies. Be on time, come everyday you are scheduled and you are good to go! The attendance policy is strict if you cross the line to many times with being late your FIRED. I think that is quite reasonable considering the longevity this company offers its employees.

I appreciate how management was ran at this company!

Jul 9, 2014HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your experience at Dyson. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the call center and felt that our benefits and policies fit the ... More

Frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great brand to put on your resume. Coworkers are fantastic people.

Cons

NO COMMUNICATION. Everything is secret. Managers are imbeciles. No chance at promotion if you are American.

Your middle managers are yes people not innovative thinkers. Promote people who work hard. Promote Americans as well.

Jul 2, 2014US VP, Consumer Sales

Thank you for your feedback about what you liked and did not like about Dyson.

You are spot on that open and upfront communication is important. And it is an area that we are always trying to
    ... More