Dyson Reviews

Reset
3.1
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Work life balance is practised and given flexibility to work (in 7 reviews)

• Great products that lead the market (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • HR department is totally ineffective (in 5 reviews)

• Invisible and unsupportive senior management team (in 5 reviews)

1. Working for Dyson was always exciting!

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Dyson as a full-time Territory Sales Manager for almost 4 years. Overall, it was a very positive experience in that there was always new technology being introduced and new products being launched. My salary was relatively competitive and their employee benefits package is outstanding.

Cons

Nothing specific to share that's not something one encounters within almost any organization. Some personalities weren't a great fit for the job they were hired to do and some members of upper management had enormous egos. None of this detracted from my job satisfaction on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

Try to be more in-tune with regard to really hearing employee feedback.

2. Not what I expected

I worked at Dyson

Pros

Fun environment; casual dress, creative atmosphere, and (at least while I was an employee) summer hours.

Cons

Perceived favoritism towards UK employees. Senior management very rarely made up of anyone but UK ex-pats who were only here temporarily. Inexperienced middle management (not made up of individuals possessing managerial skills, but more experienced professionals) made for a tense, unorganized, and toxic work environment. Low pay vs comparable industry positions.

Advice to Management

Increase stability, recognize leadership skills in all employees, and nurture all departments.

3. Great Products - High Expectations

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson

Pros

Great story, products and brand.

Cons

High Sales Expectations - Limited Career Growth within Company - Capped and limited commissions - Constant turnover at senior management level. Understaffed sales team to cover the entire USA - Numerous meetings, constant travel along with endless reporting allows for little time actually doing your job.

Advice to Management

Uncap commissions, grow sales team and streamline performance indicators and reporting to allow for additional time on core business and sales.

sales

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

well known brand. exciting technology

Cons

internal feuds, sr management doesn't listen to advice from associates

Advice to Management

move quicker, fund more

Continual rotation of executive mgmt & just disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, brand, distribution, and profitable. Supported by a pipeline of great products to come. Compensation, benefits, and summer hours are equally great.

Cons

The tail wags the dog, everything is ran out of the UK. Creating a CYA micro management environment that thinks VERY short term on everything because the executive team dujour knows they won't be there for very long. You will bust your hump, grow your business tremendously, do more than that is ever asked, be told you are part of the long term future, then promote yourself out of a job because the next executive team that year comes in and lays off 20%+ of the company without notice or good reason. Then the next 15%-20% leave within a year because the culture is toxic. Max built a great team, then when he left in a year to be CEO it was dismantled shortly after. It is just sad really...

Advice to Management

Treat your US office for what it is, get a home grown management team that is empowered, empower your middle management, and be the company you could/should be. The talent that has come and gone should be embarassing

Dyson Response

Jun 1, 2015 – VP of Marketing

We appreciate your feedback. The entire team at Dyson is working together to ensure that we build a healthy and sustainably strong US business. This is Dyson’s biggest market and is full of ... More

Former IT Employee

Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Dyson Chicago office can be a fun environment and has lots of nice perks, such as summer hours, friendly people, casual dress code, great products and brand, which looks impressive on a resume. You really do have the opportunity to take ownership of projects/tasks (depending on the dept.). Team/co-workers/end-users were generally easy to work with compared to past employers.

Cons

Little-to-no formal training. You're sort of left to "figure it out", which can be empowering, but also frustrating. Most senior-level management is British (we are a UK company), which can be discouraging to those seeking to advance and grow into the next level. The call center in Aurora is seen as a red-headed step-child and its customer service agents are vastly under-valued. They are even forced to have a holiday party (no drinks allowed) separate to the rest of the company due to past unruly behavior. All of this while the rest of the company proceeds to get obliterated with a 5-hour open bar. Dyson tends to under pay their employees that are below senior management. There has been a trend of hiring new grads over the past 2 years - I wonder why! Dyson generally frowns upon raise requests from long-term and loyal employees but won't hesitate to relocate a UK employee, effectively subsidizing their vehicle, housing, day-care, etc., for 6 months before sending them back across the pond. OR they'll spend upwards of 10-20k on something such as a Mini Cooper to display in the lobby area, for reasons I'll never understand.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what makes them happy. A couple of years ago HR launched a recognition campaign whereby employees were giving "thank you" cards for a job well done, in lieu of a bonus or monetary reward. Do you really think this motivates people?

Fast-paced and fun!

Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new college grad, I was looking for a company where I could use my brain, but also have fun. Dyson is the best of both worlds! Right off the bat I was given a large amount of responsibility managing an ad campaign. I was able to work with all parts of the business - marketing, legal, finance, logistics, sales, and graphics. Not only that, but we are a global company and I am able to work very closely with people from all around the world. Every day poses a new challenge and I get to interact with people constantly (a huge plus for me, because I don't like the idea of being chained to a desk in a cubicle). The group that works at Dyson is downright hilarious. They are also incredibly patient when it comes to helping out a new youngster in the office. And on that note, our office is amazing - a completely open floor plan (no cubicles!). As an entry level employee, I sit just a chair roll away from some of our senior management. Our management is wonderful - approachable and easy to talk to. (And they have a wonderful sense of humor! Yes this is a professional place, but that doesn't mean we don’t joke around). Do I even need to mention our products? They’re innovative, premium, and colorful! Working at Dyson is what you make of it. If you’re enthusiastic and happy, people will respond positively. You can make a great career at Dyson – the choice is yours.

Cons

As a company, Dyson has a very set way of doing things. I think as a company we need to step out of our comfort zone to move forward. As for Dyson’s employees, we should have more in-office activities and contests (happy hours, events in the café, raffles, lunches, etc.) I think Dyson is headed down the direction of obtaining that “work hard play hard” attitude that so many companies strive for, but we just need to hone into that together. The more our employees are able to interact, the more cohesive we will be, and the better we will work as a team. Also, when walking down the main office hallway, please people, keep your heads up and say hi to each other!

Advice to Management

Keep bringing people under your wings, it's much appreciated! You rock! Be open and clear with the people working directly under you. I want to get things right for this company and transparency is key – across all levels and across all departments.

Great Company to work for - Proud to be part of the Dyson team.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Products, Very smart/apt co-workers, Company Values, Culture, Job Autonomy (managers trust you will get the job done), Compensation, Benefits, Work Life/Balance, etc.

Cons

None - I love working here. There are standard expectations, which are very reasonable: Punctuality, flexibility (spikes in workload), open floor (no cubicles) environment at the Chicago office and get your work done. For my analytical role, there is a lot of collaboration with different internal customers and this has really helped my development. I'm involved in the analysis, strategy and brainstorming discussions. I understand that while this role and company is a nice fit for me, it might not be the same for others. But if you come in with a good attitude, team-first mentality, & good work ethic, the opportunity at Dyson will take you to the next level.

Advice to Management

If there is one recommendation, I would say encourage more collaboration/interaction amongst our Call Center Phone/Web Agents in Aurora and our Chicago Office. It could be via Job Shadowing, Mentoring or a Joint Annual Outing. My analyst role is to support the customer service team and I've had the pleasure to listen in on their calls and basically walk in their shoes. We have numerous agents who go above and beyond the call of duty by providing great customer service. Upper management is aware of the great job our customer support agents do, but I also want to ensure that all our teams are aware and recognize the great job they do. I also want to give a special mention to our Technicians at our Dyson Service Centers. Like our customer support agents, they also go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction, justified by the 94% NPS score. They motivate me to support my internal customers the same way they support Dyson customers.

Fantastic Place to Work & Highly Recommend it, But There Are a Few Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dyson is a fantastic place to work which is tailored for individuals who can roll with the punches and enjoy new challenges, which might have been outside of their initial role’s scope. The work life balance is great since it incorporates flex hours, plenty of PTO & sick days, as well as great benefits package. On top of these great benefits you also can take advantage of a very generous discount program for the new products / technology which is released. The company has also gone through a bit of a re-org which has been fantastic for Dyson and I think it addresses many of the cons provided by the other reviewers. The new members of the management team (for the most part) have degrees that support their positions, experience in other industries that can be utilized to help Dyson progress, and they are very approachable. I specifically called out “for the most part” since that is where my input on what can be improved upon comes into play. Another great “pro” for the company is that they have realized the importance of recruiting and retaining talented employees. When I was first hired there was always a priority around the engineers, but the other departmental functions were a bit of an afterthought. With the new management team however, it appears that they have realized that every department is a necessary component which drives the business forward. Dyson has started addressing its online presence by responding to reviews (positive & negative), which I am huge proponent of. When purchasing a premium product with a higher price point, it is only natural to hop on the internet and start looking into customer reviews. This same principle is especially prevalent when looking for a new position, thus the popularity of Glassdoor. If I am going to leave my current employer and take a chance with Dyson, I want to see what past and current employees experienced. If I see a slew of reviews which all touch on how horrible Dyson is without a response, it only leaves me to assume that maybe these reviewers are not just sour with the company and have legitimate criticisms. Now that Dyson is responding to the reviews, it takes away the credibility of the reviewers who spouted on about how much Dyson doesn’t care about its employees. If the company is willing to have senior members respond to reviews, I can only assume that they care about the current and future employees a great deal.

Cons

Just like anything else in life there is a Yin to the Yang, so inevitably there are things that could be worked on. The only con that I have with Dyson is that some of the middle management (below director level & certainly not the majority) really have no idea what they are doing and are downright bullies. A select number of individuals have taken the union worker’s mind-set which I perceive as, hold my position for as long as I possibly can and not train those under me in order to retain my position. These individuals are narcissistic in nature and will continue to spout how much they are needed, but in reality if you need to make a case to why you should stay you probably are not needed. I refer to this phenomenon as “Bob Syndrome,” for those of you who have ever seen Office Space. Consultant:” What exactly do you do here Bob?” Bob (screaming): “I AM GOOD AT DEALING WITH PEOPLE.” The most unfortunate part about the situation is that their teams have great ideas and want to be innovative but are too afraid to do so. The team’s ideas never come to fruition since the bad middle managers will either bury the idea so it will never see the light of day or simply yell and berate you until you just won’t make any more suggestions. By doing this these types of individuals can hide the fact that their processes and procedures that they instilled have been horribly inefficient for years form their superiors. I have personally seen things that could have been done in minutes rather than hours and simple process change (Six Sigma) what would easily save upwards of $100,000 annually. It is very easy to spot these individuals, simply ask them a few very basic questions regarding what they claim to be experts in. I will guarantee that if you ask them for a simple document or report which pertains to their discipline that they will not be able to produce it while you are there. They will then find someone who actually has the skillset (either on their team or another), have them do it, and then return to you saying that they had completed it.

Advice to Management

I think the Senior Leadership Team is fantastic, so please keep up the great inertia that you have obtained. I would take a close look at the individuals in your leading leaders and leading others bucket and determine of the individuals in those roles are truly beacons of inspiration and camaraderie or if in reality they are actually holding the team back and leaching off their successes.

Great Induction Process!

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the Dyson team recently, and have been pleasantly surprised with the induction process for new hires. Though, the organization has experienced frequent leadership changes, the HR team has set importance on hiring the right talent and ensuring these individuals receive the proper induction to the organization and start adding value to the team quickly. The process included formal leadership training, 1:1 sessions with ley stakeholders, as well as trips into the field to gain an understanding of our unique go-to-market strategy. The time and investment by Dyson has by far been the best induction experience throughout my professional career.

Cons

There is still a concern among tenured employees of the past direction of the organization, but new leadership is shaping the culture and allowing autonomy and a localized direction in the US market.

Advice to Management

Continue the path which has been set in the past several months as the team is truly buying into the excitement and opportunities within the Dyson organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed