Dyson Reviews

131 reviews filtered by
3.6
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Work life balance is practised and given flexibility to work (in 7 reviews)

• Great products that lead the market (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department (in 5 reviews)

• Invisible and unsupportive senior management team (in 5 reviews)

1. Working for Dyson was always exciting!

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Dyson as a full-time Territory Sales Manager for almost 4 years. Overall, it was a very positive experience in that there was always new technology being introduced and new products being launched. My salary was relatively competitive and their employee benefits package is outstanding.

Cons

Nothing specific to share that's not something one encounters within almost any organization. Some personalities weren't a great fit for the job they were hired to do and some members of upper management had enormous egos. None of this detracted from my job satisfaction on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

Try to be more in-tune with regard to really hearing employee feedback.

2. Demonstrator

Current Employee - Demonstrator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Demonstrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dyson part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, minimal oversight, great products and pay is excellent for the industry

Cons

No advancement opportunities...strictly part time

Advice to Management

Create clear career paths for educated demonstrators to move up in the company. The demonstrators are like the step children of the company.

3. Innovative Company

Current Employee - Product Demonstrator
    Current Employee - Product Demonstrator

I have been working at Dyson

Pros

Dyson is an excellent company to work for. Our company has great managers from the senior executives to the mid-level managers. Leadership can make or break workplace culture. Dyson does a great job selecting the right people to lead.

Cons

I wish Dyson had offices in Atlanta. I currently work in a sales capacity for Dyson and I am interested in taking on more marketing duties, but that would require relocating to Chicago.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is keep doing what your doing. Dyson management is transparent and has done a great job creating a breathable environment.

5. Beware of office politics

Former Employee - Factory Representative in Westminster, CA
    Former Employee - Factory Representative in Westminster, CA

I worked at Dyson

Pros

Good money, and they GIVE you $1,000s worth of equipment to keep. The idea is for you to have real-world experience that you can pass along to shoppers.

Cons

All work is weekend unless you manage to get a promotion, and they're few & far between. If you're looking for excellent weekend work, Dyson can't be beat.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees: I was fired after doing a great job (per Regional Manager) because a NEW manager THOUGHT I had insulted him!

Former IT Employee

Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Dyson Chicago office can be a fun environment and has lots of nice perks, such as summer hours, friendly people, casual dress code, great products and brand, which looks impressive on a resume. You really do have the opportunity to take ownership of projects/tasks (depending on the dept.). Team/co-workers/end-users were generally easy to work with compared to past employers.

Cons

Little-to-no formal training. You're sort of left to "figure it out", which can be empowering, but also frustrating. Most senior-level management is British (we are a UK company), which can be discouraging to those seeking to advance and grow into the next level. The call center in Aurora is seen as a red-headed step-child and its customer service agents are vastly under-valued. They are even forced to have a holiday party (no drinks allowed) separate to the rest of the company due to past unruly behavior. All of this while the rest of the company proceeds to get obliterated with a 5-hour open bar. Dyson tends to under pay their employees that are below senior management. There has been a trend of hiring new grads over the past 2 years - I wonder why! Dyson generally frowns upon raise requests from long-term and loyal employees but won't hesitate to relocate a UK employee, effectively subsidizing their vehicle, housing, day-care, etc., for 6 months before sending them back across the pond. OR they'll spend upwards of 10-20k on something such as a Mini Cooper to display in the lobby area, for reasons I'll never understand.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what makes them happy. A couple of years ago HR launched a recognition campaign whereby employees were giving "thank you" cards for a job well done, in lieu of a bonus or monetary reward. Do you really think this motivates people?

7. Best Part-Time Job I Ever Had!

Former Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Frisco, TX

I worked at Dyson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent product training, regular tutorials for better product understanding and marketing, flexible schedule, good compensation and available benefits, additional demonstration shift opportunities, close proximity to work locations and the opportunity to demonstrate the best product on the market.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement due to the dedication and loyalty of the employees to the company, and the company to its employees. Physical demands of standing for extended periods can become problematic for those with physical limitations.

Advice to Management

My only advice to Dyson corporate would be to expand the demonstrator corps in major markets for the simplest of reasons, that when consumer merely look at price tags or pretty pictures and marketing hyperbole on product boxes, they don't get to know the Dyson difference.

8. Dyson is the Best Company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Dyson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional and Caring managers, Supportive and Encouraging, A company that really respects and appreciates it's employees and rewards them generously and gives them continued recognition for a job well done. I love my job and this company!

Cons

None, Other than I wish I could work more hours on a regular basis, my position is part-time. But, when special events or days come up we are always offered the opportunity to pick up more hours on an as needed basis. No complaints at all.
    Wish there were more offices near my home so that I could work full-time. Plenty of opportunity if you live in the Chicago area.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do. You always are looking to do the best for your employees and Dyson. I would like to see an addition of a merit raise and yearly review if that is feasible for part time workers. Define ways that part-time employees can advance. Other than that you are the best! Thank you!

9. Bilingual troubleshooter

Former Employee - Bilingual in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Bilingual in Aurora, IL

I worked at Dyson

Pros

Overtime
    Great company
    Coffee
    Discounts
    HR involved
    Lots of incentives

Cons

Part-time to full-time offered in bids

Advice to Management

Busy no time to help improve employees work ethics

10. Forward Thinking Company

Current Employee - Product Demonstator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Demonstator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dyson

Pros

This company invests in it's work force. They believe in selling the product that is the best for the consumer. Great team environment.

Cons

No cons at this time

A work in progress

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are really innovative. When you are hired and every two years thereafter, you have the opportunity to purchase a machine for a really low price, significantly lower than the regular Friends and Family discount offered Dyson associates. At the end of 2013, all U.S. associates were each given a new cordless machine, which was a wonderful surprise. One of Dyson's core values is that we learn by failing; James Dyson developed 5,127 prototypes before a successful vacuum was launched. This resonates with me personally because the best learning experiences I've had throughout my career have been from the mistakes I've made. There are monthly cafe briefings where the entire office comes together to review business results, see new technology demonstrated, learn about the competition and what's happening in other markets around the world, hear success stories, etc. Throughout my tenure here, Dyson has offered summer hours, which is a great perk. In 2014, they added flex hours, which is definitely a step in the right direction. The dress code is casual (jeans) which makes it a very comfortable office environment to work in. I am fairly compensated for my responsibilities and experience and feel that my contributions to the organization are valued. This can be a very challenging, yet exciting environment for the right person. There are plenty of opportunities to make a positive impact and see the results of your actions very quickly.

Cons

Initially I found the culture in the office very unwelcoming. People kept to themselves and were not inclusive, and leadership was very removed. Additionally, there has been a great deal of turnover and extended vacancy, especially at the senior leadership level. By mid-2014, there was a full U.S. executive leadership team in place; however, one of the VPs left the company just before the holidays. Some progress has been made on the cultural front but Dyson U.S. still has a long way to go. While the products are very high tech and innovative, Dyson's systems and processes lag very far behind. For example, there is little to no cross-functional collaboration, something that was very prevalent in the cultures at my previous companies. There is really no training program for new hires; the induction process is approximately a half day, mainly filling out forms and reviewing HR policies, with some time spent disassembling and reassembling a machine (the best part of induction, because you learn a lot about the technology and what differentiates Dyson from its competitors). As Dyson U.S. hires a number of new graduates or associates that have only a few years' experience, the learning curve can be frustrating, unless you have a good, inclusive manager or you identify someone early on to help you acclimate. I struggled more with the unwelcoming culture than I did with the lack of a training program because I have more work experience. Finally, there are a number of ex-pats (Dyson is a UK-based company) that are placed in the U.S. organization in mid-level leadership roles (e.g., Sales Director, Head of Retail, Head of Communications, etc.), which can be discouraging to associates who would like to grow and develop internally within the Dyson U.S. organization.

Advice to Management

Strive to become more approachable, less remote. Communicate more frequently with all levels of the organization. Foster cross-functional teamwork / collaboration and proactivity versus reactivity. Focus on execution and results and do a better job of recognizing people who demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset and a commitment to process and process improvement. Recognize that Dyson can't be all things to all people and focus your limited organizational resources on the opportunities that will deliver the most impact and the most meaningful ROI. Embrace and leverage the diversity in the U.S. organization; make sure you are fully utilizing your talent to their fullest potential. Focus on results and quality of work, not on arrival / departure times and hours spent in the office. Work with people to recognize and exploit their strengths & develop robust career paths. Pay attention to what your competitors are doing and adjust accordingly without sacrificing the brand image Dyson has spent many years creating. Be consistent, yet flexible. Lead by example. Listen and communicate.