Dyson

Updated November 23, 2014
3.4

Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Work life balance is practised and given flexibility to work (in 7 reviews)

• Great products that lead the market (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department (in 5 reviews)

• There is zero trust of upper management for good reason (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job for full time students

Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Dyson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No boss breathing down your neck, good pay for a part time job, easy work, mileage reimbursement, set schedule,

Cons

Down time is boring, not organized with demo ppl (we are the step children), promised a raise after 90 days and that was a lie,

Pay more attention to the demo ppl and trains them correctly. some ppl have been there for 5 months and are barely learning things they should've learned months ago.

Looks good on paper

I have been working at Dyson

Pros

No micromanage , creativity welcomed, great product

Cons

Hired as a demonstrator position escapes the reality that your really a " sales " person..which somehow helps them rest better at night not paying commission . Promised a raise after 90 days .. Didn't happen.

Do your job. Which means responding to emails , text ..and stop promising things and not producing. We are in sales. Commission would be nice. Otherwise we are to demonstrate ..not be expected to sell x amount per shift.

Great Company to work for - Proud to be part of the Dyson team.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Products, Very smart/apt co-workers, Company Values, Culture, Job Autonomy (managers trust you will get the job done), Compensation, Benefits, Work Life/Balance, etc.

Cons

None - I love working here. There are standard expectations, which are very reasonable: Punctuality, flexibility (spikes in workload), open floor (no cubicles) environment at the Chicago office and get your work done. For my analytical role, there is a lot of collaboration with different internal customers and this has really helped my development. I'm involved in the analysis, strategy and brainstorming discussions. I understand that while this role and company is a nice fit for me, it might not be the same for others. But if you come in with a good attitude, team-first mentality, & good work ethic, the opportunity at Dyson will take you to the next level.

If there is one recommendation, I would say encourage more collaboration/interaction amongst our Call Center Phone/Web Agents in Aurora and our Chicago Office. It could be via Job Shadowing, Mentoring or a Joint Annual Outing. My analyst role is to support the customer service team and I've had the pleasure to listen in on their calls and basically walk in their shoes. We have numerous agents who go above and beyond the call of duty by providing great customer service. Upper management is aware of the great job our customer support agents do, but I also want to ensure that all our teams are aware and recognize the great job they do. I also want to give a special mention to our Technicians at our Dyson Service Centers. Like our customer support agents, they also go the extra mile when it comes to customer satisfaction, justified by the 94% NPS score. They motivate me to support my internal customers the same way they support Dyson customers.

Wonderful culture

Current Employee - Demonstrator in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Demonstrator in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Dyson part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micro-managing. Very flexible with your family needs. Generally wonderful people. The pay is good. It is a solid product that you can stand behind and that you can feel confident in.

Cons

Often hard to get assistance if you work out of a different city, hard to contact IT when you work for the company part-time. The online systems are often create obstructions to completing work on-time. Bonus system has degraded over the last four years to be barely worth the effort.

Better system for supporting those working in the fields. Create a bonus system based on individual people or teams, not nation wide.

Fantastic Place to Work & Highly Recommend it, But There Are a Few Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dyson is a fantastic place to work which is tailored for individuals who can roll with the punches and enjoy new challenges, which might have been outside of their initial role’s scope. The work life balance is great since it incorporates flex hours, plenty of PTO & sick days, as well as great benefits package. On top of these great benefits you also can take advantage of a very generous discount program for the new products / technology which is released.

The company has also gone through a bit of a re-org which has been fantastic for Dyson and I think it addresses many of the cons provided by the other reviewers. The new members of the management team (for the most part) have degrees that support their positions, experience in other industries that can be utilized to help Dyson progress, and they are very approachable. I specifically called out “for the most part” since that is where my input on what can be improved upon comes into play.

Another great “pro” for the company is that they have realized the importance of recruiting and retaining talented employees. When I was first hired there was always a priority around the engineers, but the other departmental functions were a bit of an afterthought. With the new management team however, it appears that they have realized that every department is a necessary component which drives the business forward.

Dyson has started addressing its online presence by responding to reviews (positive & negative), which I am huge proponent of. When purchasing a premium product with a higher price point, it is only natural to hop on the internet and start looking into customer reviews. This same principle is especially prevalent when looking for a new position, thus the popularity of Glassdoor. If I am going to leave my current employer and take a chance with Dyson, I want to see what past and current employees experienced. If I see a slew of reviews which all touch on how horrible Dyson is without a response, it only leaves me to assume that maybe these reviewers are not just sour with the company and have legitimate criticisms. Now that Dyson is responding to the reviews, it takes away the credibility of the reviewers who spouted on about how much Dyson doesn’t care about its employees. If the company is willing to have senior members respond to reviews, I can only assume that they care about the current and future employees a great deal.

Cons

Just like anything else in life there is a Yin to the Yang, so inevitably there are things that could be worked on. The only con that I have with Dyson is that some of the middle management (below director level & certainly not the majority) really have no idea what they are doing and are downright bullies. A select number of individuals have taken the union worker’s mind-set which I perceive as, hold my position for as long as I possibly can and not train those under me in order to retain my position. These individuals are narcissistic in nature and will continue to spout how much they are needed, but in reality if you need to make a case to why you should stay you probably are not needed. I refer to this phenomenon as “Bob Syndrome,” for those of you who have ever seen Office Space. Consultant:” What exactly do you do here Bob?” Bob (screaming): “I AM GOOD AT DEALING WITH PEOPLE.”

The most unfortunate part about the situation is that their teams have great ideas and want to be innovative but are too afraid to do so. The team’s ideas never come to fruition since the bad middle managers will either bury the idea so it will never see the light of day or simply yell and berate you until you just won’t make any more suggestions. By doing this these types of individuals can hide the fact that their processes and procedures that they instilled have been horribly inefficient for years form their superiors. I have personally seen things that could have been done in minutes rather than hours and simple process change (Six Sigma) what would easily save upwards of $100,000 annually. It is very easy to spot these individuals, simply ask them a few very basic questions regarding what they claim to be experts in. I will guarantee that if you ask them for a simple document or report which pertains to their discipline that they will not be able to produce it while you are there. They will then find someone who actually has the skillset (either on their team or another), have them do it, and then return to you saying that they had completed it.

I think the Senior Leadership Team is fantastic, so please keep up the great inertia that you have obtained. I would take a close look at the individuals in your leading leaders and leading others bucket and determine of the individuals in those roles are truly beacons of inspiration and camaraderie or if in reality they are actually holding the team back and leaching off their successes.

marketing specialist

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

cool product, smart people, cool product, cool product,cool office

Cons

no direction, not enough direction from UK. US is under a microscope

get organized

Good company

I worked at Dyson

Pros

good leadership, big company, smart people

Cons

low salary for market standard

Very different

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fkexible always changing. Any job is what you make it. It is much better than when I started four yrs ago. Still growing and learning.

Cons

The location nothing is consistent. The pay could better and they need to promote the human resources that they have within the company

View every angle be consistent. Our systems are dated updates are coming and we look forward to them.

Awful! Constant changes, no trust, no raises, sales bonus was a JOKE, long hours, hard on your body.

Former Employee - Demonstrator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Demonstrator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dyson part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hourly pay was decent. Good discounts on company products. The products were very good for the most part.

Cons

Even though it was part-time weekends, they still managed to infringe on your time during the week. Demanding that you take online trainings and such. This was extremely annoying if you also work full-time. Very long and boring hours standing on concrete floors, a real killer to your feet, back, and legs. Total lack of trust, always checking up on you and also used ridiculous secret shoppers to try to catch you doing something wrong. Management does not respect their lowly employees. Would get your hopes up with a carrot of a sales bonus, only to have it dashed time and time again.

Value your workers by trusting them and giving an annual raise. Realize that a part-time job is NOT the primary focus of a part-time employee.

Dyson Response

Oct 27, 2014Regional Business Manager

Dyson is a company that embraces change. As the Demonstrator program and company has grown, there have been many changes and refinements.

The use of “mystery shoppers” is an industry staple not
    ... More

Great Company!

Former Employee - Field Sales/Demo
    Former Employee - Field Sales/Demo

I worked at Dyson part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They fly you to Chicago with all expenses paid for training. They even pay you to be there. GREAT managers and they always look out for their employees. I truly can not say enough great things about the company. I truly believed in their product.

Cons

Your demos are 99% of the time in a Costco. You are standing on concrete for 8 hours which hurt my feet. Traffic is slow so time drags by.

Management was amazing!