Dyson

Dyson Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Dyson CEO Max Conze

Max Conze

Pros:
  • "Great products, easy to be enthusiastic about them"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good work life balance(nothing much to do, no need for Over-time)"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is zero trust of upper management for good reason"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Passion and work/life balance

Chicago, IL

ProsIt's really exciting to be a part of a company that is so passionate for what we do. Everyone here is so proud to be a part of Dyson. And the company does a great job of keeping everyone informed of what is going on in the business and what new products we having coming out. The company also wants to get new products into our hands, so they are very generous with special discounts.

Also, if you want work-life balance, you'll get it at Dyson US - at least in the Chicago corporate office. We work hard during the work day, but management respects our personal time. I have not once felt the pressure to check my email in the evening, over the weekend, or while on vacation. And you rarely see any email coming through from off hours. You don't see companies doing that very often anymore.

ConsThe office environment is an open floor plan, meaning there are no cubicles or offices. You can hear everything around you. And, not having cubicle walls to create a 'barrier' makes it easy for people to interrupt you while you're trying to concentrate. But, at the same time, it makes it easier for you to walk up to people to get their input - that helps when you need to get something done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue searching for new ways to engage your employees. Over the last year, I've seen a positive change in the way senior leaders interact with everyone and all of the different fun things they're trying to do. Keep at it!

Flag Review
    Dyson Talent Acquisition Specialist responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing your feedback! It’s great to hear that you have had an overall positive experience at Dyson. We certainly feel a sense of pride in the work that we do and the products we offer ... More

I applied twice before I was accepted for an interview.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe benefits are great, great work environment, great products, great discounts, great everything! The expectations in the call center are very reasonable. They have a great sick day policy and vacation policy. When I was there Dyson did there best to give their employees the best work place.

ConsNo cons, just standard policies. Be on time, come everyday you are scheduled and you are good to go! The attendance policy is strict if you cross the line to many times with being late your FIRED. I think that is quite reasonable considering the longevity this company offers its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate how management was ran at this company!

Dyson HR Business Partner responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your experience at Dyson. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the call center and felt that our benefits and policies fit the ... More

Frustrating

Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a great brand to put on your resume. Coworkers are fantastic people.

ConsNO COMMUNICATION. Everything is secret. Managers are imbeciles. No chance at promotion if you are American.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour middle managers are yes people not innovative thinkers. Promote people who work hard. Promote Americans as well.

Dyson US VP, Consumer Sales responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback about what you liked and did not like about Dyson.

You are spot on that open and upfront communication is important. And it is an area that we are always trying to
    ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK job, not a place you can make a career

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsI worked in the field, so I could set my own schedule for the most part. The company car was also nice.

ConsYou will not see the bonuses they tout during your interview. They never tell you what the goal is or what you hit, they just tell you it wasn't met. There really aren't many ways to move up unless the manager over you is fired or quits and they happen to be in your area. My job was primarily to clean vacuums in retailers and not "sales" like they claim. Not hard work, but it is boring and you will touch a lot of gross stuff cleaning those vacuums! Much lower pay than similar job titles at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers. The sales managers in the field (which change frequently due to reorgs) are pretty worthless and way under worked. Managing 3-7 people is nothing and half of the time my manager didn't seem to even understand what she was asking us to do.

Dyson HR Business Partner responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your feedback. The Territory Sales Managers are responsible for representing the Dyson brand and increasing sales in our retail stores. One part of that does include ensuring our ... More

Great Products, Terrible US Management and Global Culture

Senior Level Management (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe products are solid, overpriced but solid.

ConsThe senior management team is does not understand the US culture or how to manage people with trust - nor do they understand the year is 2014. There is more importance placed on sitting at your desk, looking busy, watching the clock and debating, rather actually accomplishing anything meaningful that will drive positive business results and build positive morale. There is a massive lack of understanding of America in the US management team. It's not the UK or Australia, the US is much more progressive and advanced technologically. Another major failing is that importance is placed on all the wrong things and all aspects of the business are not understood and flailing. In addition, the lack of trust is very, very unsettling.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back people that not only understand the US, but understand American culture, how successful business are run in the US and actually trust their colleagues. Make sure management learns how the entire business runs and how all the pieces fit together and work in unison. Lastly, teach people to treat their colleagues with respect and trust, rather than focusing on undermining them and pushing them aside for personal gains (that never come to fruition). And if you're American, don't count on moving upwards in this organization.

Flag Review
    Dyson US VP of Marketing & Communications responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

The USA is Dyson's largest market and it is inevitable that people from the UK come here to learn - it's where the action is. I came over
    ... More

Customer Service Rep. an okay experience.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDyson has a great 401k plan. The health and dental are ok.

ConsIt is difficult to move up in the company. It can be hard to get time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more approachable.

Dyson Talent Acquisition Lead responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your feedback! It’s important for us to hear where we can improve and where we are getting it right for our employees. We are proud to offer competitive benefits including health ... More

Great Job tough on the body

Demonstrator (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsPay, products received, training, management, employee discount

ConsNot a full time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent bonus plan, health benefits for PT employees

Dyson Talent Acquisition Lead responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear when our employees are satisfied with their experiences. We are always looking for ways to improve and your insight helps to ... More

Inflated egos and antiquated views on how to treat employees, progressive products but stodgy old school management

Chicago, IL

ProsI have worked for Dyson for four years. Very cool products, or at least they used to be. Their newest products have problems and it seems the creativity and ingenuity might be drying up.

ConsExtremely incompetent management with very little emotional intelligence. The whole lot are trained to be clock watchers and spend more time watching others and focusing on trivial details than inspiring and driving for true results. Unfortunately, the entire management team both in the US and many in the UK have a inflated view of how the world sees Dyson. We are not saving lives and often times, people have never heard of us nor care to learn more. The employees are not valued and seen as easily replaceable. Internally, there is constant discussion about how horrible the culture is and management knows this and yet, without shame, acknowledges that they don't care. People should feel privileged to work for Dyson and should expect nothing in return is their view. They care more about the product reviews on Amazon and acknowledge that they do not care about the reviews here. The US business is doing poorly now. Most employees are looking elsewhere and all the while leadership keeps doing the same thing day in and day out expecting different results.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in real top leadership talent from progressive companies who get the importance of employee engagement. Hire more AMERICANS at the top. If you are American, expect to passed over for promotion by an ex-pat from the UK. Americans are seen as second class citizens. Even their American customers.

A lot of pain and no gain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDyson products are amazing. It was also fun to say I worked at Dyson and see people's reactions.

ConsDyson focus is only on selling products, not people. Management will tell you it's a pleasure to work at Dyson and expect you come in early, stay late, work weekends with out a thank you or good job. There is no such thing as a proper work life balance. The schedule is not flexible nor are the hours. They don't offer training or continuing education.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate employees more and treat them with respect and dignity.

A great company to work for and a great team to work with!

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- company culture
    - the ability to take control of your career
    - the job and company are definitely what you make of it
    - I have seen other companies with horrible cultures, I'm very thankful I get to be part of this company

Cons- none at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been some great folks put into the right spots recently. I cannot wait to see the results.

Worked for Dyson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dyson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dyson CEO Max Conze. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Dyson employees.