Dyson Reviews

Updated August 3, 2014

3.3

Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Good work life balance(nothing much to do, no need for Over-time) (in 5 reviews)

• Great products that lead the market (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department (in 5 reviews)

• There is zero trust of upper management for good reason (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Former Employee - Field Sales/Demo
    Former Employee - Field Sales/Demo

I worked at Dyson part-time for more than a year

Pros

They fly you to Chicago with all expenses paid for training. They even pay you to be there. GREAT managers and they always look out for their employees. I truly can not say enough great things about the company. I truly believed in their product.

Cons

Your demos are 99% of the time in a Costco. You are standing on concrete for 8 hours which hurt my feet. Traffic is slow so time drags by.

Management was amazing!

A vacuum - but not the kind you're thinking of.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity - both for the company to actually be all it's cracked up to be and for responsibility before it's earned. There are some great people here and new leadership that could do good, if they were only allowed.

Cons

Do you like to play games? Were you in the chess club? Are you British? If not, is your favorite word 'yes'? Do you wish you could live in the colonies pre-1776? Do you believe that laughter is wholly inappropriate at work? In a skills assessment was creativity always what you lacked most? If you answered yes to most of these questions then you might do well here.

People with ideas do not flourish here (unless you're an engineer). This is a place where mediocrity is king. If you can stay glued to a computer and show a lack of emotion then you will probably be promoted before you've even had your year review.

The British are coming and they've come to suck America dry. The company wholly relies on sales from the US market yet refuses to put anyone in leadership from the US. There's a complete refusal to listen to reason and a dogged stubbornness to do things exactly the same as 21 years ago - just take a look at the approach to social media.

And beware of the 'brainstorm', aka the I'm going to pick your brain because you actually have ideas and then I'm going to steal them so that I can get promoted because that will demonstrate that I'm practical and pragmatic and know how to try co-workers for what they are, robots of course.

Get rid of the problem management in the US office. Reward people that actually live up to the company 'values' you shove down people's throats. Allow the US market to be what it should - a leader to the rest of the world that brings in 30% of your profit.

Great Induction Process!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined the Dyson team recently, and have been pleasantly surprised with the induction process for new hires. Though, the organization has experienced frequent leadership changes, the HR team has set importance on hiring the right talent and ensuring these individuals receive the proper induction to the organization and start adding value to the team quickly. The process included formal leadership training, 1:1 sessions with ley stakeholders, as well as trips into the field to gain an understanding of our unique go-to-market strategy. The time and investment by Dyson has by far been the best induction experience throughout my professional career.

Cons

There is still a concern among tenured employees of the past direction of the organization, but new leadership is shaping the culture and allowing autonomy and a localized direction in the US market.

Continue the path which has been set in the past several months as the team is truly buying into the excitement and opportunities within the Dyson organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diverse Experience & Passionate People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Dyson isn't the typical corporate atmosphere - growth here isn't necessarily part of a predetermined path, it's up to employees for where they want to take their careers. There is a lot of opportunity, and I don't feel stuck within one department or career path. I've been able to learn skills that I normally wouldn't, and I get to work and interact with smart and creative people on a daily basis.

There is also a great energy in the office and a passion for what we do. I get a sense that our employees believe in the products and I really feel the impact of my efforts. I like working towards a common goal and the collaboration and teamwork that comes along with it at Dyson.

Cons

Certain systems that we have in place are outdated vs. the innovative technology Dyson creates, and the UK office doesn't seem as concerned about separating and defining the US culture vs. the Malmesbury HQ culture.

Start breaking through the barriers between the US office and the UK. Continue offering flexible growth opportunities to your employees, and being as transparent as possible about the business through avenues like our monthly cafe briefings.

Passion and work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's really exciting to be a part of a company that is so passionate for what we do. Everyone here is so proud to be a part of Dyson. And the company does a great job of keeping everyone informed of what is going on in the business and what new products we having coming out. The company also wants to get new products into our hands, so they are very generous with special discounts.

Also, if you want work-life balance, you'll get it at Dyson US - at least in the Chicago corporate office. We work hard during the work day, but management respects our personal time. I have not once felt the pressure to check my email in the evening, over the weekend, or while on vacation. And you rarely see any email coming through from off hours. You don't see companies doing that very often anymore.

Cons

The office environment is an open floor plan, meaning there are no cubicles or offices. You can hear everything around you. And, not having cubicle walls to create a 'barrier' makes it easy for people to interrupt you while you're trying to concentrate. But, at the same time, it makes it easier for you to walk up to people to get their input - that helps when you need to get something done.

Continue searching for new ways to engage your employees. Over the last year, I've seen a positive change in the way senior leaders interact with everyone and all of the different fun things they're trying to do. Keep at it!

Jul 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! It’s great to hear that you have had an overall positive experience at Dyson. We certainly feel a sense of pride in the work that we do and the products we offer ... More

I applied twice before I was accepted for an interview.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great, great work environment, great products, great discounts, great everything! The expectations in the call center are very reasonable. They have a great sick day policy and vacation policy. When I was there Dyson did there best to give their employees the best work place.

Cons

No cons, just standard policies. Be on time, come everyday you are scheduled and you are good to go! The attendance policy is strict if you cross the line to many times with being late your FIRED. I think that is quite reasonable considering the longevity this company offers its employees.

I appreciate how management was ran at this company!

Jul 9, 2014HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your experience at Dyson. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the call center and felt that our benefits and policies fit the ... More

Frustrating

I have been working at Dyson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great brand to put on your resume. Coworkers are fantastic people.

Cons

NO COMMUNICATION. Everything is secret. Managers are imbeciles. No chance at promotion if you are American.

Your middle managers are yes people not innovative thinkers. Promote people who work hard. Promote Americans as well.

Jul 2, 2014US VP, Consumer Sales

Thank you for your feedback about what you liked and did not like about Dyson.

You are spot on that open and upfront communication is important. And it is an area that we are always trying to
    ... More

OK job, not a place you can make a career

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Dyson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in the field, so I could set my own schedule for the most part. The company car was also nice.

Cons

You will not see the bonuses they tout during your interview. They never tell you what the goal is or what you hit, they just tell you it wasn't met. There really aren't many ways to move up unless the manager over you is fired or quits and they happen to be in your area. My job was primarily to clean vacuums in retailers and not "sales" like they claim. Not hard work, but it is boring and you will touch a lot of gross stuff cleaning those vacuums! Much lower pay than similar job titles at other companies.

Get better managers. The sales managers in the field (which change frequently due to reorgs) are pretty worthless and way under worked. Managing 3-7 people is nothing and half of the time my manager didn't seem to even understand what she was asking us to do.

Jul 9, 2014HR Business Partner

We appreciate your feedback. The Territory Sales Managers are responsible for representing the Dyson brand and increasing sales in our retail stores. One part of that does include ensuring our ... More

Great Products, Terrible US Management and Global Culture

Former Employee - Senior Level Management  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Level Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The products are solid, overpriced but solid.

Cons

The senior management team is does not understand the US culture or how to manage people with trust - nor do they understand the year is 2014. There is more importance placed on sitting at your desk, looking busy, watching the clock and debating, rather actually accomplishing anything meaningful that will drive positive business results and build positive morale. There is a massive lack of understanding of America in the US management team. It's not the UK or Australia, the US is much more progressive and advanced technologically. Another major failing is that importance is placed on all the wrong things and all aspects of the business are not understood and flailing. In addition, the lack of trust is very, very unsettling.

Bring back people that not only understand the US, but understand American culture, how successful business are run in the US and actually trust their colleagues. Make sure management learns how the entire business runs and how all the pieces fit together and work in unison. Lastly, teach people to treat their colleagues with respect and trust, rather than focusing on undermining them and pushing them aside for personal gains (that never come to fruition). And if you're American, don't count on moving upwards in this organization.

Jul 2, 2014US VP of Marketing & Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

The USA is Dyson's largest market and it is inevitable that people from the UK come here to learn - it's where the action is. I came over
    ... More

Customer Service Rep. an okay experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dyson has a great 401k plan. The health and dental are ok.

Cons

It is difficult to move up in the company. It can be hard to get time off.

Be more approachable.

Jul 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

We appreciate your feedback! It’s important for us to hear where we can improve and where we are getting it right for our employees. We are proud to offer competitive benefits including health ... More

Worked for Dyson? Contribute to the Community!