Dyson Reviews

125 reviews filtered by
3.4
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Work life balance is practised and given flexibility to work (in 7 reviews)

• Great products that lead the market (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department (in 5 reviews)

• Invisible and unsupportive senior management team (in 5 reviews)

1. Best Part-Time Job I Ever Had!

Former Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Frisco, TX

I worked at Dyson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent product training, regular tutorials for better product understanding and marketing, flexible schedule, good compensation and available benefits, additional demonstration shift opportunities, close proximity to work locations and the opportunity to demonstrate the best product on the market.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement due to the dedication and loyalty of the employees to the company, and the company to its employees. Physical demands of standing for extended periods can become problematic for those with physical limitations.

My only advice to Dyson corporate would be to expand the demonstrator corps in major markets for the simplest of reasons, that when consumer merely look at price tags or pretty pictures and marketing hyperbole on product boxes, they don't get to know the Dyson difference.

Former IT Employee

Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Dyson Chicago office can be a fun environment and has lots of nice perks, such as summer hours, friendly people, casual dress code, great products and brand, which looks impressive on a resume. You really do have the opportunity to take ownership of projects/tasks (depending on the dept.). Team/co-workers/end-users were generally easy to work with compared to past employers.

Cons

Little-to-no formal training. You're sort of left to "figure it out", which can be empowering, but also frustrating. Most senior-level management is British (we are a UK company), which can be discouraging to those seeking to advance and grow into the next level. The call center in Aurora is seen as a red-headed step-child and its customer service agents are vastly under-valued. They are even forced to have a holiday party (no drinks allowed) separate to the rest of the company due to past unruly behavior. All of this while the rest of the company proceeds to get obliterated with a 5-hour open bar. Dyson tends to under pay their employees that are below senior management. There has been a trend of hiring new grads over the past 2 years - I wonder why! Dyson generally frowns upon raise requests from long-term and loyal employees but won't hesitate to relocate a UK employee, effectively subsidizing their vehicle, housing, day-care, etc., for 6 months before sending them back across the pond. OR they'll spend upwards of 10-20k on something such as a Mini Cooper to display in the lobby area, for reasons I'll never understand.

Ask your employees what makes them happy. A couple of years ago HR launched a recognition campaign whereby employees were giving "thank you" cards for a job well done, in lieu of a bonus or monetary reward. Do you really think this motivates people?

3. Dyson is the Best Company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Dyson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional and Caring managers, Supportive and Encouraging, A company that really respects and appreciates it's employees and rewards them generously and gives them continued recognition for a job well done. I love my job and this company!

Cons

None, Other than I wish I could work more hours on a regular basis, my position is part-time. But, when special events or days come up we are always offered the opportunity to pick up more hours on an as needed basis. No complaints at all.
    Wish there were more offices near my home so that I could work full-time. Plenty of opportunity if you live in the Chicago area.

Keep on doing what you do. You always are looking to do the best for your employees and Dyson. I would like to see an addition of a merit raise and yearly review if that is feasible for part time workers. Define ways that part-time employees can advance. Other than that you are the best! Thank you!

5. Bilingual troubleshooter

Former Employee - Bilingual in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Bilingual in Aurora, IL

I worked at Dyson

Pros

Overtime
    Great company
    Coffee
    Discounts
    HR involved
    Lots of incentives

Cons

Part-time to full-time offered in bids

Busy no time to help improve employees work ethics

6. Forward Thinking Company

Current Employee - Product Demonstator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Demonstator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dyson

Pros

This company invests in it's work force. They believe in selling the product that is the best for the consumer. Great team environment.

Cons

No cons at this time

A work in progress

I have been working at Dyson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are really innovative. When you are hired and every two years thereafter, you have the opportunity to purchase a machine for a really low price, significantly lower than the regular Friends and Family discount offered Dyson associates. At the end of 2013, all U.S. associates were each given a new cordless machine, which was a wonderful surprise. One of Dyson's core values is that we learn by failing; James Dyson developed 5,127 prototypes before a successful vacuum was launched. This resonates with me personally because the best learning experiences I've had throughout my career have been from the mistakes I've made. There are monthly cafe briefings where the entire office comes together to review business results, see new technology demonstrated, learn about the competition and what's happening in other markets around the world, hear success stories, etc. Throughout my tenure here, Dyson has offered summer hours, which is a great perk. In 2014, they added flex hours, which is definitely a step in the right direction. The dress code is casual (jeans) which makes it a very comfortable office environment to work in. I am fairly compensated for my responsibilities and experience and feel that my contributions to the organization are valued. This can be a very challenging, yet exciting environment for the right person. There are plenty of opportunities to make a positive impact and see the results of your actions very quickly.

Cons

Initially I found the culture in the office very unwelcoming. People kept to themselves and were not inclusive, and leadership was very removed. Additionally, there has been a great deal of turnover and extended vacancy, especially at the senior leadership level. By mid-2014, there was a full U.S. executive leadership team in place; however, one of the VPs left the company just before the holidays. Some progress has been made on the cultural front but Dyson U.S. still has a long way to go. While the products are very high tech and innovative, Dyson's systems and processes lag very far behind. For example, there is little to no cross-functional collaboration, something that was very prevalent in the cultures at my previous companies. There is really no training program for new hires; the induction process is approximately a half day, mainly filling out forms and reviewing HR policies, with some time spent disassembling and reassembling a machine (the best part of induction, because you learn a lot about the technology and what differentiates Dyson from its competitors). As Dyson U.S. hires a number of new graduates or associates that have only a few years' experience, the learning curve can be frustrating, unless you have a good, inclusive manager or you identify someone early on to help you acclimate. I struggled more with the unwelcoming culture than I did with the lack of a training program because I have more work experience. Finally, there are a number of ex-pats (Dyson is a UK-based company) that are placed in the U.S. organization in mid-level leadership roles (e.g., Sales Director, Head of Retail, Head of Communications, etc.), which can be discouraging to associates who would like to grow and develop internally within the Dyson U.S. organization.

Strive to become more approachable, less remote. Communicate more frequently with all levels of the organization. Foster cross-functional teamwork / collaboration and proactivity versus reactivity. Focus on execution and results and do a better job of recognizing people who demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset and a commitment to process and process improvement. Recognize that Dyson can't be all things to all people and focus your limited organizational resources on the opportunities that will deliver the most impact and the most meaningful ROI. Embrace and leverage the diversity in the U.S. organization; make sure you are fully utilizing your talent to their fullest potential. Focus on results and quality of work, not on arrival / departure times and hours spent in the office. Work with people to recognize and exploit their strengths & develop robust career paths. Pay attention to what your competitors are doing and adjust accordingly without sacrificing the brand image Dyson has spent many years creating. Be consistent, yet flexible. Lead by example. Listen and communicate.

Fast-paced and fun!

Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Project Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a new college grad, I was looking for a company where I could use my brain, but also have fun. Dyson is the best of both worlds! Right off the bat I was given a large amount of responsibility managing an ad campaign. I was able to work with all parts of the business - marketing, legal, finance, logistics, sales, and graphics. Not only that, but we are a global company and I am able to work very closely with people from all around the world. Every day poses a new challenge and I get to interact with people constantly (a huge plus for me, because I don't like the idea of being chained to a desk in a cubicle). The group that works at Dyson is downright hilarious. They are also incredibly patient when it comes to helping out a new youngster in the office. And on that note, our office is amazing - a completely open floor plan (no cubicles!). As an entry level employee, I sit just a chair roll away from some of our senior management. Our management is wonderful - approachable and easy to talk to. (And they have a wonderful sense of humor! Yes this is a professional place, but that doesn't mean we don’t joke around). Do I even need to mention our products? They’re innovative, premium, and colorful! Working at Dyson is what you make of it. If you’re enthusiastic and happy, people will respond positively. You can make a great career at Dyson – the choice is yours.

Cons

As a company, Dyson has a very set way of doing things. I think as a company we need to step out of our comfort zone to move forward. As for Dyson’s employees, we should have more in-office activities and contests (happy hours, events in the café, raffles, lunches, etc.) I think Dyson is headed down the direction of obtaining that “work hard play hard” attitude that so many companies strive for, but we just need to hone into that together. The more our employees are able to interact, the more cohesive we will be, and the better we will work as a team. Also, when walking down the main office hallway, please people, keep your heads up and say hi to each other!

Keep bringing people under your wings, it's much appreciated! You rock! Be open and clear with the people working directly under you. I want to get things right for this company and transparency is key – across all levels and across all departments.

9. It's work...

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Dyson part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They work with you and will work with you until the end for the most part. This is a company that is growing and learning.

Cons

They are extremely unorganized but I guess you can credit that to the company being still a little new to the U.S.

You have to be patient because just like the company is new and learning to make a successful company so is upper management

10. Rewarding . . . to a point

Former Employee - Finance/Accounting
    Former Employee - Finance/Accounting

I worked at Dyson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The products are superior. The environment is fast paced and challenging. It is a great place to learn. The compensation is competitive.

Cons

To advance past a certain point, you must have a British accent. Bonuses are purely discretionary and are withheld despite achieving every goal set.

300 million people in the US. If you can't find talent here, you don't know how/where to look.

11. Great job for full time students

Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Dyson part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No boss breathing down your neck, good pay for a part time job, easy work, mileage reimbursement, set schedule,

Cons

Down time is boring, not organized with demo ppl (we are the step children), promised a raise after 90 days and that was a lie,

Pay more attention to the demo ppl and trains them correctly. some ppl have been there for 5 months and are barely learning things they should've learned months ago.

Dyson Response

Dec 15, 2014District Demonstration Manager

Thank you for your feedback on the position.

Dyson Demonstrators work directly for Dyson. While other companies hire product demonstrators who may showcase a different product from a different
    ... More