E.C. Barton Reviews

Niel Crowson

GOOD

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Osceola, AR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Osceola, AR

I have been working at E.C. Barton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family setting and a great environment to work in.

Cons

No room to move up - very low turn over rate

Bullied

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY

I worked at E.C. Barton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low overhead cost. low cost on Kitchens

Cons

From day one I was bullied and only worked for two months. They complained about customers with other customers in the store. I was yelled at for stupid things and told what are you stupid or something. Management would state sexual comments about customer behind their back. When customers would leave they would make nasty comments about them. They would state that corporate people are idiot and they don't know what the Hell they are doing. I have never in my 32 years of working in retail have ever been so disrespected, and talked down to in my life. Proper edict is very important. You are hired and made to believe that you have a nice pay but are later told you will not get a raise or anything else for that matter. I could go on and on about the negativity I received from Bargain outlet. I have moved on and will not buy or tell my family to shop at any of your stores. This company E. C. Barton really needs to see what goes on in their stores.

Have the secret shops in the middle or at random times. Be professional. Keep your opinion to yourself and don't talk about your customers. etc.....

Unprofessional

I worked at E.C. Barton

Pros

Great hours, and that is it

Cons

I worked for Surplus Warehouse in Texas and the management at my store was very unprofessional. He cursed constantly and talked about his criminal record. I would recommend not working for this company.

Do random background checks on all employees.

Worked there far too long

I worked at E.C. Barton full-time

Pros

WAS great ... 15 years ago. ESOP is decent though it's been on a steady decline for the last 5 years and the only bright spots in the ESOP come from bank financed dividends. Hours aren't too bad but wait until they figure out how much could be made from extended hours and Sundays.

Cons

Where to begin ... morale -- in the gutter. A previous poster said that upper management was on autopilot and he hit the nail on the head. Most just want to keep their high paying jobs and will do whatever the CEO wants for fear of reprisal ... and reprisals are quite common. Ask the wrong question and you'll be shown the door (odd for an "employee owned" company). The board is nothing but puppets for the CEO who is completely hoodwinked by the twice bankrupt people from Bargain Outlet (a 2006 acquisition). The Surplus Stores are UN-air conditioned and stores regularly hit triple digit temps inside but no one in management cares! They occasionally do an unofficial study (spring or fall) where the CEO will ask customers for one thing to change and AC is always mentioned. Of course the CEO then asks the customer if they'd be willing to pay more money ... you know where it's going from there ...

Know this -- if I knew then what I know now, I would never take this job. Never in a million years. And if you take a job with them as a store manager, you probably won't be promoted unless you're dad is the CEO's dentist or you happen to play tennis with the CEO's son.

The company has lost money every year since 2006 and it's losses are accelerating. The CEO parades around showing the net profit from each store and adding it up to get a nice fat number but fails to mention that the two corporate offices spent it all plus another 40%. The bank that handles the credit line is getting nervous. After the acquisition, the CEO asked the board how much he was going to get in salary because "I'm now the CEO of a $300 million company" and they bumped him up to $400k with a $350k bonus. And that was in 2006. It's only gone up from there. Yet, new managers come into the company at $36,000 plus a "pre-draw" against their bonus (which ends up costing them 10%).

Ask yourself why District Managers are quitting (most are looking for employment elsewhere), why the assistant controller quit (it wasn't to work with his in-laws, trust me), why top store managers are quitting in droves (or wanting to), and why, if they aren't quitting, senior management is running them off by setting arbitrary performance standards on a "case by case" basis. One store's "unacceptable" performance is another's "oh well, that's just the market."

The company has a tendency to allow poor performance from certain people IF they are liked or IF they happen to be well connected in Jonesboro.

I don't see good things on the horizon. The cons far outweigh the pros.

Quit hiding the facts from your owners (employees) and tell them the truth. Show them the company P&L ... the real one. Quit listening to idiots who went bankrupt twice and get back to the basics of offering good products at great prices and stack it deep/sell it cheap and quit trying to be Lowes or Home Depot. Oh and tell the truth about the company assets and debt.

Decent Place to Work with a Few Big Problems

I worked at E.C. Barton

Pros

Employee Owned (ESOP), somewhat flexible with family matters, small company feel - although that has changed for the worse recently, decent pay

Cons

The company has really gone downhill in the last few years. Many in upper management seem to have their work careers on auto-pilot and are trying to coast into retirement at the expense of everyone else. While CEO sightings are about as rare as that of a Sasquatch (unless you happen to be at the lake, Kentucky Derby, or US Open), newly appointed management seems to be every place they shouldn't be. Usually, that involves trying to re-arrange work flows and personnel in departments completely unrelated to their role. That particular management style has rubbed many, many people the wrong way. These combined LARGE problems coupled with the company's shoddy performance and semi-Bank ownership (see shoddy performance) since the Bargain Outlet acquisition has really taken a toll on employee morale. Let's hope management wakes up and makes appropriate changes before things worsen even more.

Address the issues listed in "cons". Then close the Design Center. It won't be needed after upper managment retires and their friends stop shopping there. Put an alarm clock in certain annex offices that goes off hourly. The snoring is affecting the work and morale of others who actually have work to do and have a reason to fear losing their jobs. If raises cannot be afforded, consider an 8 hour work day for salaried personnel. While we love our jobs, we love our families too. We've heard that "anymore, it doesn't matter where you are physically located as you can do your job from anywhere". Maybe time to consider occasional teleworking? Above all, make an attempt to better the company and share that vision with the employees to create some excitement and interest. Doing the same thing repeatedly without success is senseless.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at E.C. Barton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work if you like building materials. Great hours, good pay. Customers enjoy the savings

Cons

Not very busy. Need customers to meet sales goals.

Invest in Advertising!

Could use a small adjustment

Current Employee - Employee in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Employee in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at E.C. Barton

Pros

The benefits are above and beyond what you can expect at any company of similar size. Most of the people know and treat each other almost like family. Management is pretty understanding when it comes to working around important family issues. As with any company, there are politics to deal with, but it doesn't seem to get too out of hand. The company is growing fast so there are lots of opportunities to advance, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Even some of the most simple things are treated as though they are part of national security. There are times that some of the people who have been long time, committed employees are passed over for friends of upper management.

Learn to trust and listen to the opinions of people who are on the front lines. There are some really smart people working for this company who want the best for the company. It doesn't have to be Niel's idea to be a good idea.

Not a bad place to work, not good either

I have been working at E.C. Barton

Pros

Not a bad place to work, employees are easy to get to know and fun to work with. Hours are GREAT!!! Be there by 8:30 and leave by 5:30. From what I have heard employee discounts here are awesome. You meet a lot of great customers. Pay every week.

Cons

#1 is climate in the stores. Hotter then hot in the summer time and colder then cold in the winter. Advancement is not really there, I know people that have been at the same location and same position for years with no change. The locations are far and few. Pay is a joke. Upper managment dosnt understand that this job requires a lot of getting dirty and sweat and the $9 or $10 is not good enough? I hate my paychecks when I know I busted my hump all week long.

Pay a man what he's worth. Show a little appreciation and he will return the favor with great customer service and great work ethics. Take care of him and he will give back 2 times fold.

A stepping stone

I have been working at E.C. Barton

Pros

Great place to work, store managers are allowed to come and go as they please, most of them have no way of showing time worked or time off. When at work managers are not requaried to do anything on the sales floor because there are no checks and balances for them.

Cons

No air conditioner. In the summer its hot and in the winter it is very cold. You are required to wear a uniform that they provide but you have to pay for it every week in your paycheck. No way of just paying once. Some managers have no real management skills

Take time to talk with your employees about what matters your might be surprised with what you hear. If someone is stealing do something about it when you know about it.

Good Job

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at E.C. Barton

Pros

Small Business atmosphere, Ethical, great vacation time, treated as a person

Cons

no ac in the summer

More use of managers meeting as a forum for growth rather than a social event.

E.C. Barton Photos