E.ON UK Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
3.3

E.ON UK CEO Tony Crocker
Tony Crocker

Valuable experience as an undergraduate at E.ON

Former Employee - Undergraduate Trainee in Grain, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Trainee in Grain, England (UK)

I worked at E.ON UK as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was made to feel very welcome from day one and everyone was friendly. I was eased into my job role and received good support from peers. I also got to join in with outside team building events. Overall, it was an insightful and enjoyable experience.

Cons

Not very structured: sometimes they were unsure about where I should be placed.

Great benefits but just a number to the company

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at E.ON UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good holiday entitlement and the maternity packages are good. there are plenty of opportunities to progress through the company and help is given by managers to do this.

Cons

Team managers change like there is no tomorrow, just get used to a manager then there's another one come along. There always seems to be changes to departments

look at the process for lead agents and managers. perhaps try to incorporate it with real life work/training rather than assessment centres.

Up until 12 months ago the best place ever to work, going through redundancy has changed that view

I have been working at E.ON UK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible benefits, holiday entitlement, salary, wide variety of roles, if your face fits you'll get the promotions or interesting positions.

Cons

Company now works on getting it right for the customer first time and being open and honest with customers. This is absolutely the right thing however the employee is no longer cared about and everyone's disposable. Should you have concerns and voice them about what's happening within your area, you get a black mark and you'll never get in with the in crowd and never get the promotions. It doesn't matter if you work hard, good at what you do, if your bosses say no (even if their wrong) you have to cut corners and ignore your conscience. They will continue to climb the ladder where your classed as a trouble maker. After moving between 2 major areas of the business, I received no training and was expected to coach, train and ensure others did their role correctly without a job description or training.

Open your eyes and see that its still very much jobs for the boys and if your face fits. Competency interviews are a farce and can be tweaked to make the person lined up for the role get it, even if they aren't the best candidate.
    Treat people with care and be truthful when they are going through redundancy, I would hope no one goes through the experience I've had over the last few months again. To say I've been treated as a second class citizen after more than 10 years service is awful.

Undergrad placement

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at E.ON UK as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunities
    Responsibility
    Decent level of pay
    Part of the team

Cons

Further opportunities difficult after placement

Grad scheme more flexible

Experience really depends who your manager is

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at E.ON UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learnings.
    Decent pay.
    Flexible hours/location depending on your manager.

Cons

Every decision, how little it is, comes down to office politics.
    You need to constantly apply for positions for possibility of promotion and it is only possible when you know the right person.
    Many jobs will be blocked due to pay scales. Even when your skills suggest that you are perfect for a job, you can safely believe that jumping two pay grades is impossible.
    Redundancy procedure is unclear and does not adhere to policy, which allows to cut corners.
    Ethnic diversity is not great.

Review your people policy as there are clear unfairness.
    Do not link your employee engagement survey results to employee bonuses.

Learnt a lot but too little support and too heirarchial

Current Employee - Undergraduate Trainee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Trainee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at E.ON UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You receive flexi hours where I was working which is very useful. There is free coffee, tea and water which helps to keep you through the day.

Cons

There is a lack of social activities at the place of work since they were knocked down to make room for a larger car park. This theme is echoed through much of what group management pushes onto the uk section of the business.

Ask your employees how to improve the company from the ground up. Sort out all the numerous IT issues and stop outsourcing everything to a different country to save pennies but stop people from doing their jobs, it is an illusion of efficient improvements.

Part of a Family!

I worked at E.ON UK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The business really knows what its doing with its people and where it wants to go for its customers. Every idea is listened to and E.ON make you feel part of a family. The benefits are brilliant and they offer courses like excel etc for you to go on. The also offer secondments around the business so you can really widen your skill set. Pay is good, bonuses are brill for office staff! They give you access to whistle blowing tools, to recommend employees, and to input into the business. All the right things companies need to offer.

Cons

E.on has challenges like every company, whether it be management issues or processes. My only bugbear with E.on was that i was put in a redundancy state 3 times in as many years and eventually left as it was clear my manager was going to make it very difficult for me to get one of the remaining roles. The time was right for me to leave and i understand people cannot be exempt from redundancy if thats the situation but i felt like i lost loyalty to the company through this and was left in the firing line of a disgruntled manager who had to take on me and my team as part of a previous restructure. I was left with 'cant someone else manage you and your team' ringing in my ears. Theres always employees like this wherever you go, it was just unfortunate that i ended up being managed by one.

A company that really cares for it's Customers

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at E.ON UK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to develop, flexible working, excellent support for those with health conditions including free health screening and EAP services. If you're prepared to work hard, this is a great company to work for. The number one focus is on our Customers, the people are great, colleagues support and encourage each other. This is a company you can truly be proud to work for. My Manager is great, supportive, encouraging and motivating - a real people person.

Cons

It's a big company and under a lot of regulatory pressure, so change is constantly part of your work, wherever you are. Getting time and funding for training is very difficult as money is ploughed into IT change and renewable energy. Your experience can be the best or worst depending on where and who you work for - I've had the best and worst management experiences here

Listen to your employees, recruit strong leaders and invest in training and coaching them, be open about the challenges we face. Tackle inequality which is unfortunately rife in some areas of our business.

Troubled and untrusted... felt like I was back at school.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Bolton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Bolton, England (UK)

I worked at E.ON UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training was good, the canteen was okay... good that EAP existed. very good when medical hospital appointments where needed to be attended. I found it easier to talk to the higher up staff ie SMs and CSMs than TMs. I got free first aid training! when I came back from sick they did phased return which really helped me get back into work. I also had my shift patterns changed - not ideal but definitely helped. extra benefits where good. being able to split breaks up and have them when you want was a good idea too.
    I got support off one particular manager and if it wasn't for him I would of left a long time before I actually did. he was brill, he gave you the facts, if you needed to improve he'd tell you... but when you did it right he didn't patronise you, he made you feel good. and he supported me through some times... his name I don't know if I can say it was JP-

Cons

Management changed too often. A certain amount of brown nosing went on.... always had to prove evidence for anything you did it was as if you weren't trusted. unable to go on toilet breaks without being hassled. Was too sales driven and didn't care about the customers needs was more about selling. occupational health knew nothing about mental health and a lot of people suffered with mental health problems at that place. shift patterns where horrific. communication was awful, so you'd find something out the same day as customers ie a price hike and no training or warning to deal with why prices have gone up... and no real way of explaining it. new managers thrown into the deep end. Having to change managers also meant that you had to explain any health problems to MORE people... and there IS a stigma with mental health there's no two ways about it.... so more people know... and then lots of relationships happen in the call centre, so your manager would be dating someone else so chances are they talk... didn't feel confidential.
    work life balance HA.... when your working till 8 on a Friday and then in at 8 on a Saturday its literally its the worst feeling ever.... you loose your Friday night and Saturday day... no point in having a weekend!
    Depending on which management where in determined whether you where gonna have a good day or not and treated like a human or a robot. Management also need a backbone... you tell a customer no and then the calls escalated and the manager does what the customer wants its like you might as well not bothered!
    Complaining about a certain manager when they act inappropriate (ie calling you for your weight in front of a canteen full of people) and this got ignored... unorganised chaos... I hated it towards the end and still have nightmares now!!! too many rules for one and then not for others.

trust your employees
    learn about mental health (that's too occy health more than anyone)
    WATCH THE CALL CENTRE! ha
    seriously if you treated staff better you would get better results in everything! and happier staff!
    understand to some people its a job... not their entire life... no one wants to live E.ON 24/7 - except the saddo who had it on their reg plate!
    make sure the rules are the same for everyone

Good leadership and management at the moment, with focus on customers not profit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at E.ON UK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tony Cocker's leadership and the team he's pulled around him. So much better than the previous bunch.

Cons

Very collaborative means that getting things done is often much more difficult than it should be. E.ON IT - it's a joke

Either make E.ON IT responsible to the business or get rid of it. How can they control what we do all the time?