E Source Reviews

Updated April 13, 2014

2.9

Michael Shepard
1 Rating

Glad I was there long enough to experience a variety of responsibilities; enjoyed learning and advancing the industry.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at E Source full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mission, effective influence on industry dialogue, getting paid to learn and teach

Cons

Executives have governed more by consensus in the past (slow, muddling), every new idea seems to be stuck behind a multi-year web platform development project, my trust and respect for at least one senior exec was seriously damaged when he gave an about-face lie and mischaracterization in a performance review.

Allow people to focus on what they are good at. Listen to the needs of the Research Department that generates all content for the company. Invest and support Research needs.

Learned a lot, but management practices are bad

I worked at E Source

Pros

This is a respected firm that keeps well-paying clients year after year and serves them well.

Cons

Employee management is a use 'em up and replace 'em style. This company drives its employees like they're rented mules: productivity expectations rise every year, making it impossible to feel successful at E Source. I'd reinforce what other reviewers have said about management's fear of new ideas. So, if you do sneak a new idea past them, you get suspicion, not recognition.

Retire and turn over the employee management to people who are trained people managers, not engineers.

Working here is frustrating if you are an original thinker and want to make the best use of what you've got

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at E Source

Pros

The people are generally pleasant to work with. The benefits package is adequate, and there is some flexibility in terms of work schedule. If you like a lot of structure, where you know what you are supposed to do, this a good place.

Cons

Innovation is actively discouraged despite management's lip service about how wonderful it is. They mean well, but they don't know how to really embrace it. There is a lot of resistance to trying something new because most of the upper management have very narrow experience in their fields and are extremely risk-averse. It is a very conservative company in terms of its business practices, and the fear of failure at this place is pervasive. Employee management practices, particularly with regard to performance reviews, are inept and often destructive. As I said, they mean well, but they lack the depth of experience necessary to practice what they preach successfully. Most of those making the calls have alot of experience at Esource but little elsewhere.

This company needs a board of directors populated by people with broader experience than those currently running the show.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if your interested in the energy industry

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boulder, CO

I have been working at E Source

Pros

Flexible hours, can work from home, variety of work, decent people, well-respected in the marketplace/industry, mostly transparent management, fairly low-stress (don't often take work home).

Cons

Very silo-ed, sluggish for a company this size, too many internal barriers - can't get things done, few consequences for mistakes (which I suppose is good if you're making them - I see it as a con because some people don't get reprimanded for poor work), the industry can be boring/unimpressive.

Remove barriers to innovation - people have good ideas and the preliminary scoping process is too cumbersome.

E Source: All the Potential in the Market...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at E Source

Pros

E Source has a unique and leading market position with electric and gas utilities. The culture is tight-knit and the bond with members is solid.

Cons

The tight-knit culture can be parochial at times. There is some lack of trust among employees and clear silos across groups.

Culture is everything. The management team must display desired behaviors more and drive the culture forward by example. Also, more discipline and accountability across all teams.

Worked for E Source? Contribute to the Community!