E*TRADE Financial
www.etrade.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Paul T. Idzik

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance and friendly atmosphere"
    in 15 reviews
  • "The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "could improve in employee work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Aside from "licensed stockbroker" sounding important, just another customer service job in a call center"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

E*TRADE promotes a great team atmosphere!

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Sandy, UT

ProsTeam atmosphere, OT opportunities, Growth potential, CEO is focused on Customer Service first.

ConsSome areas of the processing systems seem more difficult to our clients than it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote growth in careers.

Learned a lot, but hated working here

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Sandy, UT

ProsGot licensed, learned a lot about numerous financial instruments and how they function.

ConsTraining for 7/63 was great, but after that they just kinda throw you in the deep end on the phones. Really would have benefited from some on the job training, but even their 'incubator' wasn't really training. Maybe our group of hires was too big for them to properly train everyone on systems. This job is basically a phone sales position. So much stress is put on getting leads for their financial consultants. Etrade's platforms (for their customers) are so easy to use, which meant someone only called in when something was wrong, or the customers were not smart enough to figure out how to navigate a website. This caused for very stressful/uncomfortable conversations. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I quit working here.

Lots of opportunity

Associate Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsRoom to move up and to other locations

ConsGreat for entry level candidates

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a terribly bad place to work at

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThey have streamlined internal standards and processes for application software development.

ConsExtremely high workload; Limited opportunities if you'd like to stay abreast on the latest tools. Poor work-life balance.

Decent Customer Service Job

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsDecent benefits, pay, and training. At 5:00, you can leave and forget about your job (in a good way).

ConsAside from "licensed stockbroker" sounding important, just another customer service job in a call center.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize a call center job is a call center job, but there's no reason why management couldn't treat it like more than that. In general, FSRs are relatively well educated, and management could treat them more like professionals than like mere phone jockeys.

Financial Services Rep

Financial Consultant (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGood suite of products and services for entry and mid level investors.

ConsBack office operations completes work on their own timeline with no communications. No coaching from management - only directives. Senior Leadership not approachable. No clear direction for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strategic direction for the company, then develop a matching pay plan and coach your way to success.

IF YOU GET HIRED AS AN ASSOCIATE FSR, PASS YOUR EXAMS AND GET OUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLicensing. Period. It's "free", and they pay you while you are in training. As the title says, get hired as an Associate FSR. It's great coming out of college, or wanting to start a career in finance. START being the keyword.

Paul Idzik is great! Structure, streamline, may trickle down. But I doubt it.

ConsIf you have morals, do not attempt to work there. If you are creative and know how to motivate, do not fill out an application. If you have potential to be great, you will intimidate your superiors and your Life @ E*TRADE will become a living hell. And if you aren't broken, imagine some place worse than hell.

HR is a joke.

FSRs and Sr. FSRs are licensed stockbrokers and all we do is sit there and pray that we can meet our quota each week by bringing in money for lazy Financial Consultants who don't do anything but wait for us to put in a lead. We do 75% of the selling and don't get any compensation for it. Bring in 20+ million a quarter and hand the phone off to an un-enthused FC--absolutely no compensation.

FSRs and Sr. FSRs who have been working there for 2 years or less know more than managers and senior managers who have been working there for at least decade or more. It does not mix to be a pleasant experience.

It's sad when you are told that you have to stifle your innovation and knowledge so not to outshine your aloof and incompetent current manager and future manager to keep your job and to climb the political career ladder at E*TRADE because the dumber you are the more valuable you are to management. Middle management from Senior Managers to Directors aren't creative enough nor know what the FSRs and Sr. FSRs actually go through in order to make processes better. Customer Service Senior Managers do not value the FSRs nor Sr. FSRs. We stayed tethered to a phone and computer screen for 8,10-15 hours a day (sometimes more because of understaffing) but they are quick to forget they made us STOCK BROKERS. They promote who they control instead of promoting people who can actually contribute to our new CEOs vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you see talent, don't stifle it and don't discourage it, and definitely don't steal it. Bolster it. Have a backbone. Be that one to step up and show upper level management who you've heard about or who you have on your team. Realize that you have people who hold titles lower than yours who are studying competitors in school and know how to implement processes for cheaper.

For Senior Management in LOBs other than CS: Know that you are dealing with people who are a decade or more younger than you and can learn what you require in that internal job posting quicker than you could yourself and more quickly than you can find an external hire, if given the opportunity because they want the chance. Don't brush them to the side.

Appreciate your minions, they can contribute and can bring your stock options from being underwater.

Worst People Ever!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou can steal from people (if you are into that) Well, really you are forced into it, so if you work CSR for etrade you are going to be lying to customers frequently.

ConsYou are forced to steal from people. If you speak fluent english you are going to have a hard time finding someone to talk with or making friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stealing from people. You are all crooks and thieves! Give some help when employees ask for it! Stop focusing on stealing from customers and focus on customer service!

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsProgressive. They are always looking forward and into the future with their products. They are highly competitive in the market.

ConsTons of red tape and management issues. It's hard to move up or cross train. Many people stay in the same position for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue you employees

Great Place to get started

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThis is a great place to get your 7 and 63, heck even more. paid training for 7 & 63 can't be beat. Plenty of overtime if you need extra cash. Overall i learned so much coming out of college and there aren't many opportunities in this area of finance in Atlanta at the moment.

ConsCompensation for lead generation can be boosted.

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at E*TRADE Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for E*TRADE Financial CEO Paul T. Idzik. All 280 reviews posted anonymously by E*TRADE Financial employees.