E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Reset

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

dynamic work environment big problems to solve (interesting) despite being a small company

Cons

poor top down management in IT

Bad leadership team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

If you get lucky you get exposure to good projects

Cons

bureaucratic teams. No career growth.

3. Pleasant

Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant, quick advancement paid sponsorship license great schedule great peers plenty of opportunities Pleasant, quick advancement paid sponsorship license great schedule great peers plenty of opportunities

Cons

Pay money salary could be better. Discount pay for a discount brokerage firm Pay money salary could be better. Discount pay for a discount brokerage firm retention issue

Advice to Management

Increase pay

Good work environment.

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and non-competitive at the lower level. People did their work and mind their business. There has been a major change in management. At one point, one VP pretty much ran the whole operations area and he was totally out of touch with how the departments actually worked. Over the last few years, E*Trade has brought in a much better management team with professionals from some major companies. You can slowly see the changes for the better.

Cons

Little chance for advancement at the lower level. Salary is consistent meaning no big raises.

Advice to Management

Have the different departments cross train with each other and I mean really sit down and work in that area for a period of time. At one point, E*Trade made the different departments within Operations present their business during lunch. I believe it was called, Lunch & Learn. This was a complete waste of time and people attended due to pressure from management. Nobody actually listen or retain information.

6. Meh

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for training and advancement if you are motivated.

Cons

Pay is a little below industry standard.

7. Great Company

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

Stable Company that's been around for a long time.

Cons

Lots of old timers. Old school, risk averse mentality.

Advice to Management

Be open to change!

only recommended to college students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

experience within the financial industry and opportunities to get finra licenses

Cons

not a drug free environment, lots of nepotism, gender and cultural discrimination, minimum educ requisite is high school diploma, salary is meager and bonus is "discretionary" but management will create loopholes to give you none

HIGH Turnover!

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff that really try to help each other.

Cons

Poor compensation. Managers struggle to get stuff done with insufficient resources and blame staff for short comings...as a result, the smart people leave the not-so-smart to finish the job. Make sure to ask about the turnover during your interview and confirm the facts with HR before making your decision.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

Work Environment

Current Employee - Risk Management in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Arlington, VA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Executive leadership now in place recognizes the value of risk management. More structure has been employed which will ensure that the firm continues to grow and provide value added products to our customers.

Cons

Lack of leadership training and succession planning making it difficult to grow your career in most, not all, departments. The leadership training is left up to senior management over the department.

Advice to Management

Employ a firm wide leadership training program and hold all senior managers accountable for developing leaders within their team.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend working for E*TRADE at this point in time.

Current Employee - Corporate Service Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Service Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(1) E*TRADE Pro is a good application with a lot of usable functionality. (2) Equity Edge appears to be a good application. The reason why I say that is because I'm only familiar with the functionality not the reporting capabilities. Tax reporting is essential due to the nuances of stock plan compensation. Assuming that the reporting is there (and I think it is) then it is a good application with a lot of usable functionality. (3) The Mutual Fund All-Star List published on Etrade.com has a lot of good funds on it. There is a wide selection of classes, sectors, and geographies. Bottom-line, the funds on that list are good performers over time.

Cons

(1) The job description does not accurately depict the actual daily tasks and how those tasks are measured. The compensation is unnecessarily complex and can change mid-year which seems like a odd business to me. (2) Life at the retail branches is disconnected from the online experience. The facilities are dated based on 1970's layouts so an infusion of capital improvement needs to happen as soon as possible. (3) The managed account offerings (MIP & UMA) are substandard. One would expect ~7% average annual rate of returns but the actual is ~5%. My educated guess is because the funds used are A-shares not institutional class.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the next Amazon, Facebook, Schwab, Fidelity, etc. and just focus on being the best E*TRADE. Also, if you want to hire advisors with an existing book of business, then advertise it that way because otherwise it's misleading. I'm an optimist so I hope things turn around but unfortunately I cannot recommend working for E*TRADE at this point in time.

RSS Feed </> Embed