E*TRADE Financial

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path (in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Etrade experience

Current Contractor - Java Consultant in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Java Consultant in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had very friendly co-workers and managers. The work environment is really good and will surely recommend this company to my friends.

Cons

Nothing much. It is a wonderful company to work with.

Couldnt leave fast enough

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

Cant think of too many. The hardware was nice I guess.

Cons

No perks. Rampant mismanagement. Too many people just showing up for a paycheck.

Low quality work environment

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have clients for you to develop your skills with.

Cons

To simplistic of a business model. It is E-Trade. Recall the phrase, "You get what you pay for."

Stop micromanaging your employees, and treat them as adults.

Great technical experience and some great coworkers but toxic environment from upper management

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got some great technical experience working here. I also worked with a lot of great people in the teams I was working on. I loved my manager and co-workers.

Cons

The upper management from VP down to director level spends a lot of time be-belittling employees. I have witnessed upper management shouting insults at each other and their subordinates smacking their hands on tables to get attention. The environment had a lot of fear and people tended to work in silos to protect themselves. There were missed opportunities to solve some big problems because people were spending too much time and energy protecting themselves instead of working together. This was by far the most toxic work environment I have ever experienced.

People tend work better when they are encouraged.

Fairly good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was my first job at E*TRADE and I learnt a lot, given that I was new to the industry.
    Get to know how brokerage and stock plan works. Good team and team-mates to work with.
    Good bonus if you work hard and stand out from others.

Cons

Long working hours.
    Strict time-off policies.
    Less pay/perks.

I am not sure if I should write review because my experiences could likely be quite unique and not necessarily helpful.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health care benefits. Considering the long commute, I get to work from home once in a while. Overall, all I can say is, It could be worse here or elsewhere. May be it's just me.

Cons

Long commute. Almost complete disregard for work transparency. Was accused of sexual harassment falsely. Was not given adequate opportunities. But my experiences may not be representative of the larger set of employees.

After 7 years, 5 titles and 3 relocations

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great benefits

Cons

Lack of direction, uncompetitive salary, few perks.

Hire some thinkers, not just workers.

Etrade Software engineer

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No free drinks, so can stay healthy!

Cons

They use ancient technology. The place is run by folks who have been there for 15 years, and have an interest in keeping it that way. And of course getting information from them is impossible. Not much work to do. The drama compensates for that. The architecture team is a talking shop. They take a year to complete a project that should take a month, Expect to be yelled at and told repeatedly that you have you no idea about technology. Dont expect much help from HR. Recently they have beenlots of employees who have been frame and fired. HR tells you that the manager can do anything they want, including yell and spitting at you. If you're seriously down on your luck, consider this a temporary stopover.

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No Pros as long as i worked there..

Cons

Heavy asian(indian) culture....too much micro management....
    vacation is not easily approved...no respect for staff members from managers...

Software ruled by clueless NY business people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you find the right team, you will be working with nice people, some of whom have been there for years. It is a more laid-back environment, in most cases, and again, depending on the team. Changes in leadership means that some finally got to advance in title (the company has a relatively flat hierarchy, and rarely promoted from within to manager positions), and new technology is started to be explored and used.

Cons

In the past year and a half, there was a major layoff, in which most of the contractors, and some full timers (some who had been there for a decade) got laid off for the first time in years. Within a few months, departments were scrambling to rehire to fill those positions and new ones too. It could be argued that the company was trying to save money and get rid of poor performers, but in the end, we hired newbies who had to be retrained (the tech 'stack' is archaic, frustrating, and a time-suck to deal with) and the market got so hot it was extremely difficult to hire top performers who would accept the lower pay Etrade was offering. All of this resulted in some poor code/projects not up to the same level as before. On top of that, Etrade became very strict about physical time spent in the building. They were always obsessed with 'badging in/badging out', and we were periodically told to be in the office no later than 9:30 am (sometimes by 8, whenever a CEO was in town), but recently I felt like we were more closely monitored on this, to the point where people wouldn't leave the building for lunch, and would take less walks around the parking lot, and would even just sit in their cubes doing nothing until 5:30 came around, if they had finished their work for the day. For a tech company, this is odd...usually if you are lucky enough to finish for the day, you are free to go, and techies are known for their late starts in the morning and leaning towards a flexible schedule. And forget working from home, at all, unless your manager likes you, and is not scared of discussing your badge log with their superiors. If you like that sort of thing, don't join Etrade. The bottom line is that this is a financial institution, based and led by often clueless people in New York, who don't have an understanding of what makes the tech side of things great (which is a shame, because for the most part, Etrade is an online business, and is known for that). 4? CEOs have come and gone in the past 5 years, and the current leadership (Idzick) is as hard core NY as you can get...he was brought in by the board to get money for shareholders, and money and the short term is what he is focused on. For a year after he joined, he was unable to convey any sort of goal, long or short term, to us worker peons. In the interim, many long timers decided to leave after a decade of service (to apple, start ups...lost some good talent). My feeling is that they will continue to sell off portions of the business, and 'lean things down' until they can sell the trading platform. When that goes, so goes the company and whoever works for it. It may take years, and in the meantime, if you wish to put some financial coding experience on your resume, join. But don't make the mistake of staying too long.

Learn what it takes to be a successful software company. Support your Tech people, give them the tools and environment it takes to succeed and attract the good talent in the Silicon Valley. Provide a better path toward career advancement and pay raises. Let people becomes leaders within the company. Stop fiddling around with monitoring badge logs, and focus on the bigger picture.

E*TRADE Financial Photos