E. & J. Gallo

www.gallo.com

E. & J. Gallo Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
E. & J. Gallo – Livingston – “Expansion”

E. & J. Gallo – Livingston – “Expansion”

E. & J. Gallo Co-President and CEO Joe Gallo

Joe Gallo

Pros
  • Good creative environment, encouragement of work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone is hard working and willing to help each other out, great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to have work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Heavy lifting and long hours and weekends (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture, people, processes, standards of excellence.

ConsCompensation, constant relocation, work/life balance.

Great people, position in the industry

Space Planner (Current Employee)

ProsCompany is well positioned in the wine industry. Well respected by distributors, suppliers, and clients alike. Management is open and honest.

ConsNone to speak of at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees; they are your best asset!

Management Development Program

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFriendly management.
    Fun meetings / tastings
    Opportunities for bonuses and prizes by hitting individual goals

ConsSeparate from the distributors you'll actually be working for.
    Unorganized
    Little to no direction
    Heavy lifting and long hours and weekends. Very poor work life balance.
    Working all holidays (except Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day)
    Unreasonable quotas for certain brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis job is better suited for individuals with little experience and grocery background. There is such a high turnover rate because reps are basically glorified grocery stock boys and none of us went to college for that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid place to work

Logistics Team Leader (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsGood pace, wide range of opportunities if you perform, stability.

ConsTurnover (in certain areas), politics, slow to act.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify solid performers and advance them. Don't let slow moving large company cost you good managers and future managers.

Great company for long term satisfaction and growth

Marketing Specialist In Brand Marketing (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

Pros- Work/life balance, the people are great, very family oriented company, flexible working schedules - some departments allow work from home on one day per week.
    - Great benefits and employee perks.
    - Wine industry is growing and very dynamic.
    - Overall care for growing employees, especially internal employees who have grown up in the system (put in your time mentality)
    - Good opportunities to move around to various departments of interest. lots of lateral moves.
    - Tons of training and investment in you.

Cons- Location is tough for many people, commute from the SF bay area can be really tiring if you choose to live outside Modesto. It is a good place to settle down a raise a family but tough for singles.
    - Some departments are old school mentality and others are more progressive. (This company is constantly reinventing the wheel so if you're frustrated just stick with it and be part of the change - management is willing to listen to your ideas)
    - Big company but small town feel, sometimes lots of drama and gossip but you get that anywhere with most companies so my advice is rise above it!

- BIGGEST CON - Many employees come to work for Gallo because it is a good resume builder, don't waste the companies time please. They put a ton of training in to their new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNumbers are important in any business but don't become overly consumed with growing incrementally while burning out your employees. Manage change with sensitivity and work to foster positive working environments with all employees to get the whole group working as a team. Make sure you are paying attention to what the employees attitudes are, when one gets low the whole environment suffers. Really wonderful job all around but careful of burn out! Marketing was a great growing experience with great mentors but sales was rough, make sure everyone at the bottom can get their job done and isn't having to reinvent miracles every day. Sales role still needs to be reinvented for success.

Great first career job out of school with awesome responsibility.

Assistant Winemaker (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Pros401K and Profit Sharing, Variety of Roles, Specialization

ConsSpecialization, Family Owned Corporation, Politics

Great corporate culture! Solid talent on the team! Good management/leadership! Career growth opportunities abound!

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsLove working at company! 5 years... already promoted and learning a lot. Love the area, Modesto has a lot to offer!

ConsTough to get a job offer, Gallo is very picky. They only hire the best of the best. So sometimes the process takes a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe give people a chance even if they don't have all the skills you want so we get people hired quicker. Company is growing and we always need more team members.

Operations Management

Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsGrowing company with lots of opportunity to make a difference. Employees definitely do what it takes to get the job done.

ConsSenior Leadership does not 'walk the walk' as far as company values. Inbred culture makes it tough for an outsider.

It is a good company.

ProsThe company gives good benefits.

ConsVery hard to have work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management should communicate with the employees better.

I worked at Galoo

ProsVery good learning experience! Everyone is super nice.

ConsLong hours. The work can sometimes be tedious

Worked for E. & J. Gallo? Contribute to the Community!