E la Carte Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Rajat Suri

Unique product, lots of challenges

I have been working at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wide range of technologies and interesting problems to work on. E la Carte designs their own hardware which is rare for a startup. Flexibility to work on different parts of the software stack. Plenty of freedom when designing and implementing features

Cons

Management could be more transparent. Information and strategy is sometimes not volunteered unless asked about directly. Priorities shift frequently. This is often driven by changing market conditions but can be frustrating as an engineer.

2. Good people but terrible upper management and delusional vision

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. A lot of great people work or have worked here (not including upper management), some are incredibly brilliant, dedicated and full of personality. 2. Somewhat relaxed work environment 3. Good benefits 4. Flexible schedule

Cons

1. Main mission of company is delusional and doomed to failure, the future of restaurant ordering and payments are apps and BYOD, not putting a custom tablet on every table. The logistics involved in running a software, hardware, and managed services company on a start up budget are practically impossible to overcome. 2. CEO is sexist, clueless, arrogant and in no way qualified to run even the smallest of companies. He is cheap, completely unprofessional, untrustworthy and out of his depth in almost every category. He does not recognize or respect his most valuable employees and after awhile you begin to realize that everything that comes out of his mouth is a manipulation or complete lie. 3. Upper management is outclassed and overpaid. People get promoted only if they agree with everything the CEO says and are personally liked by the CEO. These individuals are then placed into lofty positions that they are in no way equipped to handle and then given massive pay raises which neither fit their skill level or experience. These people are usually buddy buddy with the CEO and arrogant to the core. 4. The pay is terrible for the area. The money you should be getting paid will instead be divided amongst the CEO's chosen few. Development engineers are paid vastly more than any other functional group (even if their job is no more critical or technical) but even the average dev is limited in respect to the CEO's golden boys... and I do mean boys because he despises women. 5. They are constantly bleeding talent; the turn over rate is flat out insane. People are jumping ship left and right because they get fed up with the favoritism and idiocy displayed by the CEO and upper management. And god forbid they discover how much more money their unqualified boss or the devs make, because they will rage quit in a heart beat. It's really a shame because a lot of hard work goes into finding and hiring excellent talent. Then the upper management comes along and ruins all that hard work. 6. Expect to work insane hours, give your complete devotion to the company and never be compensated or even acknowledged for it. If fact you will probably just be made to feel guilty for not working even more.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to get together, contact the board, and demand they fire the CEO. Then once the CEO has been replaced, do everyone else in the company a favor and quit yourselves. Then let those who actually have the knowledge, skills and experience step up to the plate and carry the torch. Because if you keep on the path you are on now, the company is doomed... not that they actually care or anything.

3. Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at E la Carte full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, at one point there were a lot good people.

Cons

Leadership. The CEO literally hears ideas from staff and passes them off as his own weeks later. He never talks to the employees, he just fires off rude & insulting emails to everyone.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO who actually understands the business world.

Great Opportunity, Poor Leadership

I have been working at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start up with a solid opportunity and major customer

Cons

Inconsistent, inexperienced and erratic CEO with weak people skills Business model needs to be fixed

Advice to Management

Get a professional CEO/President

Employees-first culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at E la Carte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people! This company knows how to hire the best. There's a diverse group of people in a very collaborative workplace. It makes going to work something easy to get up for. The technical challenges! As an engineer, you are exposed to a technical stack that is unique to a custom tablet experience. You are in the driver seat to define processes and culture for development and QA in this exciting new field of embedded Android. Career growth! All your work is visible. Work hard and you'll have influence.

Cons

Bringing pets to work would be nice. Transparency in business strategy was a little lacking but they picked it up as the company grew. We have all-hands followed by happy hour regularly now. Also Aquafina > Alhambra.

Advice to Management

Raj needs ELC branded shorts.

Literally the worst group of human beings I've ever worked with

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caltrain pass. Created lasting relationships with a small group of colleagues.

Cons

Incompetent management, No company culture, lack of accountability, no regard for the welfare employees. Departments work against each other instead of collaborating to produce results and the respective management teams surround themselves with YES men. This is an environment driven by ego so if you're looking for a company culture shrouded in negativity, then take a job here. I could not be more disappointed in the time I spent working at E la Carte.

Advice to Management

Challenge yourselves to be better......

Worst Company I have ever worked for! RUN!

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I love most of the people I work with.

Cons

This was the worst company I had the pleasure of working for. Rajat should not be a CEO as he does not know how to lead. He micromanages his directors and the directors never have a thought of their own. Because of Rajat's Poor leader skills and horrible just horrible decisions the company is not heading towards a good place. Rajat does not care about his employees or clients at all. He wants to make it to top any which way he can but has no idea how to execute that plan, again he makes horrible decisions. I would not recommend working here at all

Advice to Management

Maybe if you had an idea of your own and actually spoke up, management can make this company a successful and pleasureful place to work for.

Terrible Place - Sr. Management is 'evil'

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting Product. Good Sales Team. Some of the co-workers were nice (but they all left in 3-6 months)

Cons

bad engineers (you're scraping the bottom of the barrel here). Sr. management is horrible. the ceo is very very rude. The even fired their co-founder.

Advice to Management

be nice to people.

E la Carte Response

Dec 9, 2014 – Sr. Director of HR & Recruiting

We here at E la Carte have had a great employee retention rate and in the last 2 years we have not had any employee leave/quit in under 6 months as this post mentions (I work in HR). We did have ... More

A place where one can truly be a person that wears many hats

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at E la Carte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at many places, from different start ups, to Apple, to HP, but nothing that challenges me as much as E La Carte has! I have gotten the chance to use my skills from my previous jobs and apply them in a totally new way (in addition to learning new skills in regards to time and people management). However, the best feeling above all of that is being able to see your product change a complete industry and the way it works.

Cons

It is a start up, so you will be required to put in extra hours. If that is not your thing, why are you even looking at a startup environment to begin with?

Advice to Management

I would like to say that management has done an excellent job in handling things thus far: the only thing I would like to ask of management is that as our company grows, instead of becoming a place where politics play heavy (which is typical of a lot of companies when they become larger scale companies), we should continue to concentrate on delivering an excellent product and continue to strive towards that direction and do whatever it takes to get there.

Exciting and filled with talent!

I have been working at E la Carte full-time

Pros

E la Carte is experiencing tremendous growth and it's amazing to be a part of it. There are no duds here. Every single employee I've interacted with is sharp and energetic. The company is very flexible, allowing me to set my own schedule, choose my own computer, run whatever OS I want, and also bought me a bike and a GoPass for unlimited travel on Caltrain so I can avoid the hordes on 101.

Cons

It's a startup, so be ready for ups and downs along the way.

RSS Feed </> Embed