EA Engineering Reviews

1. Nice people, decent job

Former Employee - Geologist I in Abingdon, MD
    Former Employee - Geologist I in Abingdon, MD

I worked at EA Engineering

Pros

Most people working at the company were exceedingly nice and driven to do good work. I was at a satellite office so I was able to meet and work with the same individuals over and over, outside of the more bureaucratic main office. The managers were relatively flexible if you followed through and did your best. The benefits were great, especially since it is an employee-owned company. They paid for any training and equipment I needed, and were open to suggestions. I had the opportunity to meet many people and work on a variety of projects.

Cons

There are many middle managers, so as a entry-level employee it was hard to imagine where I'd fit in the future.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure where the mentoring program is currently (it was being established as I was leaving), but it will definitely help to retain those entry-level employees that may leave after 2-3 years (a common phenomena during my time there). It would also be helpful to see where an entry-level employee could fit in the future, we don't want to be entry-level forever!

2. If you're serious about doing technical work and advancing your skills, do not come to EA.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best technical expertise is in the often abused and under-resourced satellite offices. Lincoln and Deerfield offices have the best potential and best skilled people.

Cons

"Unpaid Overtime - UNPAIDOT" is a category in time sheets. You will only be paid for the billable hours and un-billable proposals up to 40 per week, then all un-billable proposal time is expected to be donated to the company. Despite this, the break even multiplier is still extremely high, presumably due to an excessive corporate bonus structure, ridiculous rent for the corporate headquarters, massive corporate waste on perks, an abundance of vice presidents, and waste due to internal competition.

Advice to Management

Complete restructuring of the profit centers in advised, along with re-evaluation of the pay structure to allow for un-billable and billable overtime. How do you expect field people to grow work and manage projects when most have already worked 40 hours by Wednesday, and you won't pay the office time Thursday and Friday?

3. Not a bad place to work

I worked at EA Engineering

Pros

They have a good salary and decent work-life balance. Your time is counted on a weekly basis, so if you have an appointment and need to only work 6 hours in one day, you could make it up by working 10 hours on the next. They also pay straight time for hours once you have exceeded 40 billable hours per week (exempt employees). They also have a liberal training policy.

Cons

A lot of people that I know from there just don't seem to be happy. The building's floor plan is arranged so that if you have a private office, it is very difficult to interact with other people in the hallway or whatever. The private offices all have glass front walls with no frosting on the glass at all, making it seem like a fishbowl.

Advice to Management

Try to treat people more as humans than numbers.

5. Great Company

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting salary and benefits are amazing. They are willing to work with your schedule and are as flexible as possible. You are not micromanaged.

Cons

I have heard that getting a raise is difficult, but that can be said of a lot of companies in the industry.

6. Strong Small Business

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time

Pros

The management and financial structure is self-admittedly conservative, but is sound and successful over the past several years. Every employer/company has its quirks, but the EA staff and management are smart and hard-working, the work is challenging, the pay structure very good, and the benefits above most other environmental consulting firms.

Cons

Conservative behavior oftentimes leads to extended decisionmaking. However, the decisions are sound and are, far more often than not, successful.
    A PhD does not automatically mean you are an expert or better than the rest - it simply means you were persistent with one very specific subject in your life - that and you learned a foreign language in grad school.

Advice to Management

Delegate tasks and responsibility with greater frequency. Realize that your staff were hired for a particular purpose and a particular reason - let them do the job they were hired for. Realize that there are many different means to achieving the same result, and when you communicate with your staff, someone might have a different yet better way of achieving your goal. This is currently being done, and should continue to be an element in taking action and making decisions.

7. Great

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at EA Engineering as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and environment. Good work environment.

Cons

Consulting Firm where you must be at least 90% billable.

Advice to Management

none

8. Corporate Receptionist

Former Employee - Receptionist in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best things I liked were the employees I worked for and the different cliental I met over the 8 1/2yrs. The atmosphere always made it enjoyable to come to work everyday. I thoroughly loved my job and helping various other departments with daily tasks.

Cons

My job responsibilities changed after moving into a larger building. I went from working in an office of 40 people to 225+. I never had a problem with my duties of answering the calls but it now seemed I was the only person having to keep the place clean and presentable for visitors. Due to the move into a larger building, management over the receptionist changed drastically thus also my job responsibilities.

Advice to Management

A better management of expenses.

9. Hopeful ambition without much backing

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff that I worked with were very dedicated and knowledgeable, and generally great to work with. They always seemed like they were capable of doing much more than they were doing.

Cons

The management was very short sighted and non-motivational. Frequently would horde work to the local office, including sending people across the country to work on a project rather than utilizing staff in other offices that were a short drive away. Very poor incentive system. Lots of tie pins given away for longevity. I didn't stick around to pick one up.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees and listen to their opinions. Utilize the nation-wide network of staff you have at your disposal rather than hording work. Make it worth employees sticking around.

10. Dysfunctional, autocratic, bait and switch

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, I don't see anything else to write 5 words.

Cons

Poor pay, expects you to work from 7am to 7 pm everyday with no OT. Management threatens employees all the time. Deceits clients by looking into possible change orders. Dormant HR policies.

Advice to Management

To retain good talent - you got to pay them standard industry salaries and industry specific work loads.

Good ol' boys club, lacks leadership or mentoring in some areas

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary, nice office space, did not work at corporate but prefer not to specific city

Cons

Difficult to break into management, boring office environment, cumbersome project process, manager fails to engage w/ employees, competition among offices for piece of pie (profit centers) can create tension, local office talent not used when other office has the project

Advice to Management

Get to know your people, care about their success, get more people involve in projects