EA Engineering

Updated Nov 14, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ian D. MacFarlane

Good company to work for.

Mid-Level Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company is in it for the long game. Job security is good, which makes for a strong commitment from me to continue working for them.

ConsThey tend to keep people around who don't carry their weight.

Hopeful ambition without much backing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EA Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff that I worked with were very dedicated and knowledgeable, and generally great to work with. They always seemed like they were capable of doing much more than they were doing.

ConsThe management was very short sighted and non-motivational. Frequently would horde work to the local office, including sending people across the country to work on a project rather than utilizing staff in other offices that were a short drive away. Very poor incentive system. Lots of tie pins given away for longevity. I didn't stick around to pick one up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees and listen to their opinions. Utilize the nation-wide network of staff you have at your disposal rather than hording work. Make it worth employees sticking around.

Good ol' boys club, lacks leadership or mentoring in some areas

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, decent salary, nice office space, did not work at corporate but prefer not to specific city

ConsDifficult to break into management, boring office environment, cumbersome project process, manager fails to engage w/ employees, competition among offices for piece of pie (profit centers) can create tension, local office talent not used when other office has the project

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people, care about their success, get more people involve in projects

Dysfunctional, autocratic, bait and switch

Environmental Engineer II (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocation, I don't see anything else to write 5 words.

ConsPoor pay, expects you to work from 7am to 7 pm everyday with no OT. Management threatens employees all the time. Deceits clients by looking into possible change orders. Dormant HR policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain good talent - you got to pay them standard industry salaries and industry specific work loads.

Good Place to Work / A Little Conservative

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE

I worked at EA Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with and good working environment. Opportunities to do many things and travel quite a bit. Very fair with benefits and business costs reimbursed quite rapidly compared to other employers. Starting to move into new areas (although slowly) and reshaping workforce to meet today's demands. Still has small company feel for those who appreciate that quality.

ConsWages a little on the low side. Engineers ruled the roost and other positions considered less prestigious - - evidenced by credibility and salaries. Some folks over-worked and very stressed. Hard to come into middle or upper level since rewards seem to be for longevity. A little conservative when looking at business development and caught in some ruts (typical business areas). Stuck on the issue of staying under the 500 person "small business" definition/limit or expanding. Decision to stay with it and let a lot of part timers and interns go.

Advice to Senior ManagementEqual weighting for all positions - - non-engineers included. More competitive salaries and/or bonuses. Cut the dead weight (and disgruntled long-termers) and look beyond typical areas for expanded client opportunities (more progressiveness).

Ridiculous company Policies

Manager (Former Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

ProsGood location. Good food around

ConsHigh and mighty sr management. Two Sr. VPs are fighting among themselves on basis of who has more political clout. Their division employees are not allowed with each other. Stupid company policies. No professional ethics. Dissatisfied clients. Poor leadership. Worst company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Your fights have nothing to with others.

Going nowhere? Great place if you like to have nothing to do. Mediocre is the mentality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sparks, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only benefit of this job is if you like to sit around and do nothing. Not sure how they stay afloat, the phones never rang. Great job if you like to keep a chair warm and have no one to talk to eight hours a day.

ConsSiloed work environment, limited growth, not interested in new ideas or talent, poor work environment, "raises" do not keep up with inflation. My skills atrophied while working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to hire young talent, provide them with opportunities and a clear path for growth or do not bother.

A good learning experience

Sparks, MD

I have been working at EA Engineering

ProsThe people are friendly, we work on a lot of cool projects and we are involved in many different industries

ConsPay, limited professional development and usually expected to eliminate concepts of a life work balance. Upper management sometimes less than communicative

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees and voice to them when you are pleased with their performance. Also frequently evaluate dynamics of personnel morale and evaluate how things can be improved.

Regional offices isolated and task specific

Scientist III (Former Employee)
Syracuse, NY

I worked at EA Engineering

ProsFlexible with time off and work from home opportuities

ConsEvery office had specialty and not much room to branch out or build new business outside speciaty area

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow works to share work between offices

Worked for EA Engineering? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EA Engineering reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EA Engineering CEO Ian D. MacFarlane. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by EA Engineering employees.