EA Engineering

Updated October 2, 2014
3.2

Ian D. MacFarlane

Great Company

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The starting salary and benefits are amazing. They are willing to work with your schedule and are as flexible as possible. You are not micromanaged.

Cons

I have heard that getting a raise is difficult, but that can be said of a lot of companies in the industry.

Strong Small Business

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time

Pros

The management and financial structure is self-admittedly conservative, but is sound and successful over the past several years. Every employer/company has its quirks, but the EA staff and management are smart and hard-working, the work is challenging, the pay structure very good, and the benefits above most other environmental consulting firms.

Cons

Conservative behavior oftentimes leads to extended decisionmaking. However, the decisions are sound and are, far more often than not, successful.
    A PhD does not automatically mean you are an expert or better than the rest - it simply means you were persistent with one very specific subject in your life - that and you learned a foreign language in grad school.

Delegate tasks and responsibility with greater frequency. Realize that your staff were hired for a particular purpose and a particular reason - let them do the job they were hired for. Realize that there are many different means to achieving the same result, and when you communicate with your staff, someone might have a different yet better way of achieving your goal. This is currently being done, and should continue to be an element in taking action and making decisions.

Great

Former Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at EA Engineering as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and environment. Good work environment.

Cons

Consulting Firm where you must be at least 90% billable.

none

Corporate Receptionist

Former Employee - Receptionist in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best things I liked were the employees I worked for and the different cliental I met over the 8 1/2yrs. The atmosphere always made it enjoyable to come to work everyday. I thoroughly loved my job and helping various other departments with daily tasks.

Cons

My job responsibilities changed after moving into a larger building. I went from working in an office of 40 people to 225+. I never had a problem with my duties of answering the calls but it now seemed I was the only person having to keep the place clean and presentable for visitors. Due to the move into a larger building, management over the receptionist changed drastically thus also my job responsibilities.

A better management of expenses.

Hopeful ambition without much backing

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff that I worked with were very dedicated and knowledgeable, and generally great to work with. They always seemed like they were capable of doing much more than they were doing.

Cons

The management was very short sighted and non-motivational. Frequently would horde work to the local office, including sending people across the country to work on a project rather than utilizing staff in other offices that were a short drive away. Very poor incentive system. Lots of tie pins given away for longevity. I didn't stick around to pick one up.

Work with your employees and listen to their opinions. Utilize the nation-wide network of staff you have at your disposal rather than hording work. Make it worth employees sticking around.

Dysfunctional, autocratic, bait and switch

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location, I don't see anything else to write 5 words.

Cons

Poor pay, expects you to work from 7am to 7 pm everyday with no OT. Management threatens employees all the time. Deceits clients by looking into possible change orders. Dormant HR policies.

To retain good talent - you got to pay them standard industry salaries and industry specific work loads.

Good ol' boys club, lacks leadership or mentoring in some areas

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary, nice office space, did not work at corporate but prefer not to specific city

Cons

Difficult to break into management, boring office environment, cumbersome project process, manager fails to engage w/ employees, competition among offices for piece of pie (profit centers) can create tension, local office talent not used when other office has the project

Get to know your people, care about their success, get more people involve in projects

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Mid-Level Scientist
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Scientist

I have been working at EA Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is in it for the long game. Job security is good, which makes for a strong commitment from me to continue working for them.

Cons

They tend to keep people around who don't carry their weight.

Good Place to Work / A Little Conservative

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Lincoln, NE

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and good working environment. Opportunities to do many things and travel quite a bit. Very fair with benefits and business costs reimbursed quite rapidly compared to other employers. Starting to move into new areas (although slowly) and reshaping workforce to meet today's demands. Still has small company feel for those who appreciate that quality.

Cons

Wages a little on the low side. Engineers ruled the roost and other positions considered less prestigious - - evidenced by credibility and salaries. Some folks over-worked and very stressed. Hard to come into middle or upper level since rewards seem to be for longevity. A little conservative when looking at business development and caught in some ruts (typical business areas). Stuck on the issue of staying under the 500 person "small business" definition/limit or expanding. Decision to stay with it and let a lot of part timers and interns go.

Equal weighting for all positions - - non-engineers included. More competitive salaries and/or bonuses. Cut the dead weight (and disgruntled long-termers) and look beyond typical areas for expanded client opportunities (more progressiveness).

Ridiculous company Policies

Former Employee - Manager in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EA Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location. Good food around

Cons

High and mighty sr management. Two Sr. VPs are fighting among themselves on basis of who has more political clout. Their division employees are not allowed with each other. Stupid company policies. No professional ethics. Dissatisfied clients. Poor leadership. Worst company to work for.

Grow up. Your fights have nothing to with others.