EBRD

Be The First To
Add Photos

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti

Suma Chakrabarti

Fast, fun paced and rewarding

Secretary (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits with 2 weeks vacation available immediately upon hiring. Company parties and retreats.

ConsResident offices are a little disconnected from London

The Board needs to change the senior management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-work on exciting projects
    -get a lot of responsibility
    - great experience
    - good visibility in the market
    - great insurance
    - good job security
    - zero impact for failed deals
    - good cafeteria

ConsThe Bank is very bureaucratic and the senior managment (BGDs) exemplifies cronyism.
    - all the business group directors and many of the directors need to be changed
    - most managers have not worked outside of the bank ever or not in a very long time (more than 10 years)
    - many people are/were promoted based on their passport, friendships within the bank and their length of service (we were told we had to hire one analyst because his passport was under-represented at the bank)
    - it is very difficult trying to sign deals when your manager does not understand the business and is more focused on internal politics
    - senior managers are promoted for doing whatever their BGD wants (often unclear what the end goal is) rather than doing the best commercially viable deals and fulfill the mission of the bank
    - senior managers do not ever intend to work outside the bank so just do whatever will get them promoted within the bank or at least will never get them fired
    - senior management is all aligned along certain language/passport/and alumni of the same 1 or 2 universities. If you do not have these you will never move up. Totally demotivating
    - HR and the ombudsman cannot help you if your bullying boss is well-connected (I was witness to this happening in my team and it was very obvious to everyone)

Advice to Senior Management- do not hire or promote people based on their passport or connections (the review process for promotion ensures this because your manager needs to ask many "friends" to sign off on your promotion from around the bank, many of which will never have had much to do with you; conversely it makes it easy for managers to ring their friends to obstruct a promotion while seemingly having put it forward)
    - hire from the outside for director's roles which require industry experience rather than promote people from within with zero industry experience
    - the Board needs to change the senior management as they will never change themselves.

One of the most disorganised I.T depts I have ever worked in with my 20+ years experience.

I T SUPPORT (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAn investment bank role looks good on my C.V! That's about it. Was not entitled to any staff benefits being a external contractor (which is fine) but yet expected to perform to the same level and motivation as perm' staff who get many rewards and we were part of the same team.

ConsManagement very adverse to positive change and progression. Many have been there for years so have their 'best friends' working alongside them so there is a very 'clicky' culture and if you do not fit in - do not expect to go far.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee past your own appraisal/bonus objectives, appreciate the constructive feedback received from staff (certainly new ones who have more experience in differing roles and come to EBRD with fresh eyes/ideas)and work with them to ensure a more robust I.T dept.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great moral ethics

Control-M Technical Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople use strange words like "please" and "thank you". I enjoy coming into work everyday. The people are really nice people.

I would recommend anyone to come and work here

ConsThe people on the trains getting here!!!

exciting work but restructuring needed

Principal Banker (Current Employee)

Pros- work on exciting projects, with plenty of resources
    - multi-cultural staff
    - great benefit package

Cons- too much internal politics
    - senior management needs a serious turnaround
    - not enough reality check with private sector, sometimes disconnected from reality of the business environment

Advice to Senior Managementfresh blood urgently needed

Uninspiring, backward and behind the times

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThis company has a subsidised staff restaurant with a great menu. You will have job security for life and the benefits are quite attractive (great private medical insurance)

ConsSenior Managers are very old fashioned and behind their times. Total lack of dynamic and forward thinking, unfortunately very much to the detriment of the organisation and the Countries of Operations who are supposed to benefit. EBRD likes to set high standards for clients but when it comes to its own staff doesn't follow the same rules (e.g. gender equality is pretty poor but EBRD expects its clients to put in place policies for gender equality that it doesn't even expect of its own staff). This company is very poor in adapting to changing economic climates. The recent modernisation programme has more style than substance. The One Bank programme was supposed to introduce "Efficiency", "Modern Culture", "Innovation" and "Impact". Nice intranet pages but no action and no implementation. Don't expect to see change. Its not just the COO that are stuck in transition (as the latest transition report suggests), this institutions is seriously stuck itself and lacks any entrepreneurial spirit. There is no link between performance and reward either. Which explains the poor performance of senior management. There is no reward for excellent work. Promotion is by years of service and not performance (although they are trying to change this, however, since change doesn't happen we are back to square one.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSack underperforming managers and get rid of half of senior management. They neither inspire staff nor are the competent or capable stopping the younger generation of managers from moving this organisation into the 21st century. The staff survey even highlights that senior management have a poor perception but nothing is done about it or whatever they are trying to do is not effective.

Executive Secretary to Director

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working environment and opportunities to grow and learn. You can learn a lot about the Bank and how it helps their 36 countries of operation.

ConsA very low turnover of support staff and consquently not enough roles

Temple of beaurocracy

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLovely subsidised staff restaurant
    Highly paid for what you do
    Other benefits

ConsManagement are out of touch beauraucrats
    More interested in processes and compliance than anything else
    Other comp and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to add value not just be guardians of restrictive processe. In some areas such as consultancy services and procurement you could cut staffing by a quarter if you werent just tying to make stakeholders stick to ludicrous processes.
    Stop wasting money on inefficient procurement hiding behind 'quality not cost' (really meaning it allows itself to get ripped off).
    Minimise comittees (everything and I mean everything decided by comittee)

Good standards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a nice place to work

ConsThere is some politics in the environment

Great place to work

ProsGreat environment, especially for those who come from countries of operations

ConsSome processes that are out of date but management seem to be working on improving them

Worked for EBRD? Contribute to the Community!