EBRD

Be The First To
Add Photos

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti

Suma Chakrabarti

One of the most disorganised I.T depts I have ever worked in with my 20+ years experience.

I T SUPPORT (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAn investment bank role looks good on my C.V! That's about it. Was not entitled to any staff benefits being a external contractor (which is fine) but yet expected to perform to the same level and motivation as perm' staff who get many rewards and we were part of the same team.

ConsManagement very adverse to positive change and progression. Many have been there for years so have their 'best friends' working alongside them so there is a very 'clicky' culture and if you do not fit in - do not expect to go far.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee past your own appraisal/bonus objectives, appreciate the constructive feedback received from staff (certainly new ones who have more experience in differing roles and come to EBRD with fresh eyes/ideas)and work with them to ensure a more robust I.T dept.

Temple of beaurocracy

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLovely subsidised staff restaurant
    Highly paid for what you do
    Other benefits

ConsManagement are out of touch beauraucrats
    More interested in processes and compliance than anything else
    Other comp and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to add value not just be guardians of restrictive processe. In some areas such as consultancy services and procurement you could cut staffing by a quarter if you werent just tying to make stakeholders stick to ludicrous processes.
    Stop wasting money on inefficient procurement hiding behind 'quality not cost' (really meaning it allows itself to get ripped off).
    Minimise comittees (everything and I mean everything decided by comittee)

Amazingly, this organization gets even more bureaucratic day-by-day. Senior management are ossified dinosaurs!

Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLondon location and it is a job.

ConsSupremely self-satisfied Orwellian bureaucracy that accomplishes little other than pushing paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull ranks of senior management. Avoid needless duplication of mission by folding EBRD into Iternational Finance Corporation. Perhaps it has outlived its purpose.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

1984

Head of Budget, IT, Financial Policy (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat location for HQ in the middle of Broadgate, beautiful building, larger than normal offices, fabulous subsidised cafeteria, very tiny chance of going out of business despite having done almost nothing tangible to help democracy flourish in post Communist world (per original mandate)

ConsMind numbing and soul destroying bureaucracy which excels in self-justification, spending other peoples taxes and convincing themselves they are not simply parasites.

Advice to Senior Managementclose up shop, return initial capital to shareholder nations, and let employees join the private sector before their skills further atrophy

Still behind the curve after all these years

Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLondon location. Business class travel. HQ meetings which keep you from field work. Non-demanding, derivative nature of the work. Pompous policy and self congratulatory pr efforts.

ConsThe ultimate bureaucracy, that always misses the boat in supplying needed investment products. A London-based, self-satisfied, ivory (tavertine marble) multi=lateral financial institution. The IFC runs circles around EBRD.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeclare victory, close up shop, return initial capital to shareholder nations, and let employees join the private sector before their skills further atrophy.

Uninspiring, backward and behind the times

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThis company has a subsidised staff restaurant with a great menu. You will have job security for life and the benefits are quite attractive (great private medical insurance)

ConsSenior Managers are very old fashioned and behind their times. Total lack of dynamic and forward thinking, unfortunately very much to the detriment of the organisation and the Countries of Operations who are supposed to benefit. EBRD likes to set high standards for clients but when it comes to its own staff doesn't follow the same rules (e.g. gender equality is pretty poor but EBRD expects its clients to put in place policies for gender equality that it doesn't even expect of its own staff). This company is very poor in adapting to changing economic climates. The recent modernisation programme has more style than substance. The One Bank programme was supposed to introduce "Efficiency", "Modern Culture", "Innovation" and "Impact". Nice intranet pages but no action and no implementation. Don't expect to see change. Its not just the COO that are stuck in transition (as the latest transition report suggests), this institutions is seriously stuck itself and lacks any entrepreneurial spirit. There is no link between performance and reward either. Which explains the poor performance of senior management. There is no reward for excellent work. Promotion is by years of service and not performance (although they are trying to change this, however, since change doesn't happen we are back to square one.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSack underperforming managers and get rid of half of senior management. They neither inspire staff nor are the competent or capable stopping the younger generation of managers from moving this organisation into the 21st century. The staff survey even highlights that senior management have a poor perception but nothing is done about it or whatever they are trying to do is not effective.

Typical government agency

ProsLocation of the HQ is London.

ConsSenior management is not professional - old timers who occupy prestigious positions with slim chances for new blood to come and make impact
    Poor HR - made up of former secretaries with no real understanding of the issues

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Like the former Soviet Union

ProsEmployee benefits, working hours, job security.

ConsCronyism; decisions made for political reasons, not based on merit; obvious when staff hired with no relevant prior work experience. Senior management is top heavy and support staff/ support teams are overstaffed with no discernible output. Many old timers who have not developed any new job skills in about 20 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people based on qualifications. Organisation needs more transparency. Sack HR and staff with real HR professionals. Look closely at ever-expanding senior management and overstaffed support teams. Technology and facilities are outdated.

The Board needs to change the senior management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-work on exciting projects
    -get a lot of responsibility
    - great experience
    - good visibility in the market
    - great insurance
    - good job security
    - zero impact for failed deals
    - good cafeteria

ConsThe Bank is very bureaucratic and the senior managment (BGDs) exemplifies cronyism.
    - all the business group directors and many of the directors need to be changed
    - most managers have not worked outside of the bank ever or not in a very long time (more than 10 years)
    - many people are/were promoted based on their passport, friendships within the bank and their length of service (we were told we had to hire one analyst because his passport was under-represented at the bank)
    - it is very difficult trying to sign deals when your manager does not understand the business and is more focused on internal politics
    - senior managers are promoted for doing whatever their BGD wants (often unclear what the end goal is) rather than doing the best commercially viable deals and fulfill the mission of the bank
    - senior managers do not ever intend to work outside the bank so just do whatever will get them promoted within the bank or at least will never get them fired
    - senior management is all aligned along certain language/passport/and alumni of the same 1 or 2 universities. If you do not have these you will never move up. Totally demotivating
    - HR and the ombudsman cannot help you if your bullying boss is well-connected (I was witness to this happening in my team and it was very obvious to everyone)

Advice to Senior Management- do not hire or promote people based on their passport or connections (the review process for promotion ensures this because your manager needs to ask many "friends" to sign off on your promotion from around the bank, many of which will never have had much to do with you; conversely it makes it easy for managers to ring their friends to obstruct a promotion while seemingly having put it forward)
    - hire from the outside for director's roles which require industry experience rather than promote people from within with zero industry experience
    - the Board needs to change the senior management as they will never change themselves.

exciting work but restructuring needed

Principal Banker (Current Employee)

Pros- work on exciting projects, with plenty of resources
    - multi-cultural staff
    - great benefit package

Cons- too much internal politics
    - senior management needs a serious turnaround
    - not enough reality check with private sector, sometimes disconnected from reality of the business environment

Advice to Senior Managementfresh blood urgently needed

Worked for EBRD? Contribute to the Community!