EBSCO Information Services

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Collins

Good company, dedicated and smart people, industry situation uncertain

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time

ProsSmart and dedicated people. The company and managers have a flexible, easy going attitude, but are also committed to excellence. If you perform, you will be recognized and be handed more responsibility. Very picturesque location.

ConsPay can be uneven. Some people earn more than the industry standard, but more probably earn below industry standard. The academic research industry situation is uncertain because of decrease in financing. The sleepy location is a con if you are so inclined. Heavy workload - you will burn out if you are really committed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more transparent in promoting people, and need to be better in laying out a vision for their careers.

Undervalued

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time

ProsVery little responsibility. Job security.

ConsPoor management. Very little professionalism. Little room for improvement. Interdepartmental beef.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with other Department Managers to determine the best way to select employees. This would negate the constant back-stabbing pilfering of employees between departments.

Some Pros / Some Cons

Network Administrative (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to work for a young family. Good benefits and flexibility in case of emergency.

ConsPoor pay and not given consistant reviews for salary increase. You have to request review and salary adjustments take too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you like an employee make sure they know. Don't nickel and dime them to death and force them to look for employment elsewhere and them offer them a pay I increase to stay.

Average sales job with too many directives sent from people above you

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to work on your own set your own hours and effect your income

ConsConcentrate more on sales force with better support

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers that worry about themselves and not the people who do the work

Changing environment...

Sales (Current Employee)
Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, casual atmosphere, and stand out products.

ConsChanging corporate environment. Several major changes without more than a days notice. Sales territories have changed 3 times over a 2 year period. Acquisitions are made before the proper plans are set.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give employees more information when internal changes occur.

Good opportunity to learn for freshers

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGood scope to learn. Latest technology used. Nice coworkers. Work is appreciated. Job security is good.

ConsNo bonus, comparatively low salary. Difficult to get promotions.

It was an okay early job; not a place for sticking around

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than a year

ProsEBSCO has a picturesque location, a subsidized cafeteria with good food, free coffee and some wonderful, decent and intelligent employees (who could probably do better elsewhere).

ConsIn customer-service jobs at EBSCO pay is relatively low, morale is low, there is no opportunity for growth and little incentive to be collaborative or helpful to your fellow employees. In fact, being kind or helpful to others by nature is more of a hindrance than a help at this company - you will really go crazy here if you are generally a helpful, proactive person. Execs should read the HBR article "In the Company of Givers and Takers" - there is a lot of infighting, arguing about responsibilities, and general unpleasantness. At the root of this is probably the fact that customer service employees are both underpaid and disrespected - oh, and uncompensated overtime is the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf young employees are disrespected, underpaid and unappreciated they will eventually wise up and move on for greener ($$$$) pastures.

Rapidly growing organization

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Information Services as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly people and huge potential to move upward. The organization is growing rapidly with chances for massive growth in the future.

ConsSome positions have low wages, and there have been some efforts to cut costs across the company. There is some dissatisfaction among lower level employees.

Miserable Atmosphere!

Support (Current Employee)
Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood location, beautiful setting on the Ipswich River.

ConsStrange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it is to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and continued back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus and refine your present products before developing more and more and more!

Best company you can work for in the field

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThe management is great, staff's voice are heard and valued, and the team is awesome.

ConsIt's hard to keep a work-life balance when you get too involved with the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for EBSCO Information Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EBSCO Information Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EBSCO Information Services CEO Tim Collins. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by EBSCO Information Services employees.