EBSCO Information Services

Tim Collins

Great benefits, mediocre culture

ProsGreat benefits
    Opportunity for growth
    Company is constantly expanding into new products and services

ConsAt my office, everyone keeps to themselves. Maybe it's the nature of the work but company culture is lacking in company wide announcements, updates, and inter-department connection. We tend to feel isolated from others and we don't know how the company is progressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnounce company progress and new products on a more frequent basis so we can see the big picture and feel part of something bigger.

Overall Experience

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsWorld-class products and services. High-quality customer service and support. Educated, empowered employees. Decent compensation, profit sharing, generous time off.

ConsTop-heavy with management. Occasionally managers utilize favoritism for raises and/or promotions. Company doesn't so much innovate products, rather it take the Microsoft approach and comes to market later with comparable results. Huge amounts of data and product knowledge required, and it's ongoing. You must stay on top of the flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Once My Job Content Was Outsourced, So Was My Job Satisfaction

Advanced Spanish Abstractor (Former Employee) Ipswich, MA

ProsTreated well by superiors, for the most part. Relaxed, non-stressful work environment, which was necessary to perform the job which required intensive reading and concentration. Good working space.

ConsPay not very good. Once my job content was outsourced, they essentially lied to us, telling us that there was some "re-scripting" going on, or that there were "bottlenecks in content delivery." In the meantime, I was tasked to perform quality control on the outsourcing contractor's work, while writing abstracts on history content, since there was no Spanish content to work on. My consensus was that they did not want to give the Spanish Abstractors a severance package, and just hoped that we quit; which I did :)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees about the future of their jobs!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I good place to land!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ipswich, MA

ProsNew technologies usually open source
    Opportunities to contribute at many level
    Good people willing to communicate
    Reasonable pay scale for being so far removed from the more typical tech areas

ConsNot all groups are run equally
    Still vestiges of long time employees that don't role with the changes and instill back fighting

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open, listen to your employees, don't look for scapegoats, rather foster an environment for continual improvement, and be realistic with your expectation. That may mean support your team wit hthe resources that they need to be successful. They are doing it for you.

Good company, dedicated and smart people, industry situation uncertain

ProsSmart and dedicated people. The company and managers have a flexible, easy going attitude, but are also committed to excellence. If you perform, you will be recognized and be handed more responsibility. Very picturesque location.

ConsPay can be uneven. Some people earn more than the industry standard, but more probably earn below industry standard. The academic research industry situation is uncertain because of decrease in financing. The sleepy location is a con if you are so inclined. Heavy workload - you will burn out if you are really committed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more transparent in promoting people, and need to be better in laying out a vision for their careers.

Undervalued

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery little responsibility. Job security.

ConsPoor management. Very little professionalism. Little room for improvement. Interdepartmental beef.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with other Department Managers to determine the best way to select employees. This would negate the constant back-stabbing pilfering of employees between departments.

Some Pros / Some Cons

Network Administrative (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGreat place to work for a young family. Good benefits and flexibility in case of emergency.

ConsPoor pay and not given consistant reviews for salary increase. You have to request review and salary adjustments take too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you like an employee make sure they know. Don't nickel and dime them to death and force them to look for employment elsewhere and them offer them a pay I increase to stay.

Average sales job with too many directives sent from people above you

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsAbility to work on your own set your own hours and effect your income

ConsConcentrate more on sales force with better support

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers that worry about themselves and not the people who do the work

Changing environment...

Sales (Current Employee) Ipswich, MA

ProsGreat people, casual atmosphere, and stand out products.

ConsChanging corporate environment. Several major changes without more than a days notice. Sales territories have changed 3 times over a 2 year period. Acquisitions are made before the proper plans are set.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give employees more information when internal changes occur.

Good opportunity to learn for freshers

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ipswich, MA

ProsGood scope to learn. Latest technology used. Nice coworkers. Work is appreciated. Job security is good.

ConsNo bonus, comparatively low salary. Difficult to get promotions.

Worked for EBSCO Information Services? Contribute to the Community!