EBSCO Publishing

EBSCO Publishing Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins

Tim Collins

Pros:
  • "Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Reputable company with great work environment"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "low salary, remote location and commute"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Aggressive, Strategically Advanced, but unfortunately some areas suffer from lack of leadership

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Proscreate excellent products, has a good corporate philosophy and culture

Consunfortunately, don't practice what they preach in their philosophy and culture

Advice to Senior Managementseek leadership skills and seek management skills

Should be a great place to work..... but just isn't

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPhysical plant -- a beautiful location in downtown Ipswich. Good products. Very customer focused.

ConsParent company is based in Alabama and it really shows. HR practices and policies are unbelievably old-fashioned. Benefits suck, because they are determined by the norms in Alabama, not Mass.

At times it was a bit like working in a factory in the 1950's. Management is totally focused on the lowest common denominator and manages to that point. They spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out how people might be "cheating", and how to "catch them out". My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- repeatedly told me that we had to keep people in a state of fear, since that's what would bring out the best performance.One story was legendary and told to me many times. Apparently JT Stephens -- the son of the original founder -- had once fired one of the EP employees when he was up visiting from Birmingham -- because the employee had walked on the grass. This apparently showed "disrepect". People told this story with pride.... "what a tough guy he was". UGH!!

HR was draconian.... As a manager, I would be brought weekly reports from the card reader access software, showing me the exact comings-and-goings of people in my group. HR would highlight the names of people they believed were spending too much time outside or -- in the case of one of my employees -- the bathrooms (the employee in question had a medical issue that accounted for that situation). It was truly bizarre. On snow storm days, HR would walk through the floors with a clipboard, noting down who wasn't at their desk at 9:15 in the morning.... reprimands would follow. On the compensation front, even when the company is doing very, very well pay is often frozen.

My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- truly enjoyed upsetting people. I believe that the CEO knew this and knew how he operated. But he did nothing to remedy the situation.

Last, but not least, take a look at how many women there are on the senior management team. Speaks volumes,,,,

Miserable Atmosphere!

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood location, beautiful setting on the Ipswich River.

ConsStrange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it is to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and continued back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus and refine your present products before developing more and more and more.....

Grew too fast

Editorial (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLow-cost cafe, main (Ipswich) campus is nice, nice people.

ConsMy department was one of the unlucky ones to get moved to an off-campus location (very ungracefully), where we promptly fell off the map. There was no longer any sense of community. If you're thinking of working here, be sure that you will be in the Ipswich offices and not Topsfield. In my opinion, the company grew too fast and could no longer balance employee satisfaction. Like another reviewer said, EP is determined to become a billion dollar company at any cost.

The products I worked on broke all the time and EP simply does not have the technological resources/staff to fix them. Critical product issues would simply be ignored when a solution was not immediately found. The environment in editorial is dead quiet and human interaction is not encouraged. I would describe the environment as depressing and have actually heard other former employees call it 'soul sucking'.

Pay was on the lower end of most ranges. Raises, while appreciated, were very small and did not seem to meet the increasing expectations of my position. I experienced a lot of restructuring after a major acquisition and it was terribly disorganized and stressful.

There do seem to be more perks in departments outside of Editorial, such as being salaried (Editorial is generally hourly), allowance for working from home, slightly better pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to Editorial, since they are the employees who make your products. Person-to-person conversation should be encouraged.

Wish I had never worked here

Abstractor (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for less than a year

ProsThe benefits and entry level pay were decent; very eco-friendly company; nice location; overtime pay; every department besides editorial; human resources staff; nice people

ConsThis was my first job out of college and I wish I had never worked there a day. The business model is essentially a writing factory. As an abstractor in editorial, I was required to achieve a perfect balance of quality/quantity but I could never get the quantity although my quality was consistently good. As a former ebscohost user, I never felt comfortable with the quick, arbitrary way they trained me to write summaries for important articles. I was so stressed about achieving the number rate they set, getting cramped legs and waiting hours to use the restroom so I could produce more. My new manager described it as "factory-esque" work which was not at all the impression I had from the interview. It was a silent work environment, all I could hear all day was typing and had to email coworkers in the next cubicle over from me! The daily monotony of the work combined with the lack of human interaction made this a very depressing workplace. The management was disorganized, frequently changed, mismanaged crises, and threw work on writers who were already trying to meet impossible expectations. When my supervisor told me "off the record" to sacrifice quality for quantity and that we would eventually talk termination if I couldn't achieve the rates, I decided it was time to leave. This is not the job for people who like human interaction and quality work! So happy I left to find better work!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow coworkers in Editorial to talk more freely; treat your employees who make your product with respect; handle crises with more ease; find a different business model for your product

Lack Integrity

Medical Writer (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, nice co-workers, decent physical environment and good first job (for a while)

ConsSenior management said anything get me there. Even before I started I could sense a change in treatment where they didn't even address you anymore. I made it clear that I needed to work 4 days a week and was told this would be no problem, yet was a problem with them once I started. Management had unrealistic expectations and the job is not really stimulating after you have done it for a few months. Ipswitch is in the middle of nowhere; a great place in the summer but difficult to get to in the winter. Considered by many just a place to start on the way to someplace else that really appreciates your talents and treats you like a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't listen so not worth the effort

It's a great place to start a career, though leaves less room for advancement.

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart, interesting, and delightfully quirky coworkers. It's a great place for early career work. I thought the the projects with which I was involved were interesting and meaningful.

ConsExcessive workload, and unrealistic expectations. Sometimes poor communication between departments-- e.g. Sales or management departments would advertise a product launch date without consulting the tech department. As a result, timelines were often completely unreasonable based on project scope and resources available. I felt like there was lots of backpedaling, combined with busting our tails to try to deliver by a compromised date, in order to keep customers happy.

Schedule/work arrangements were very inconsistent between employees.-- Flex time and remote work were allowed for some employees, but not for others, etc. This was often a low point of morale among staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease embrace the mantra of under-promising and over-delivering. The stress yo-yo of the opposite is why you have such turnover.

Very good

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

Prosgood management, they take care of their employees, good learning curve, no office politics, excellent work environment

Conslow salary, remote location and commute

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good for entry level, not good for career development

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Friendly and supportive colleagues
- Overall high level of intelligence
- Main offices close to Commuter Rail station

Cons- Reactive than proactive business planning
- Little support in career development
- Office is dirty, smells, has bad air quality and very little natural light

Advice to Senior ManagementJob descriptions changing frequently might be part of the growth the company is going through, but not having role definitions communicated clearly across departments is detrimental to employee motivation and productivity.

Excellent Learning Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBSCO Publishing as an intern for less than a year

ProsReputable company with great work environment. Got to choose work hours, so was allowed to come early and leave early. Great company events. Company softball was a particular highlight. Subsidized cafeteria was another plus.

ConsCan be slow at some points, but that is to be expected as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the family atmosphere. I actually got to meet the CEO which is rare in many companies nowadays.

Worked for EBSCO Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EBSCO Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EBSCO Publishing CEO Tim Collins. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by EBSCO Publishing employees.