EBSCO Publishing

Updated August 31, 2014
2.7

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Pros
  • Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Reputable company with great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits (in 4 reviews)

• low salary, remote location and commute (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a great company work for.

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free coffee, real good cafeteria, great location- I was in an old mill building on the river. Flexible hours. Benefits were acceptable. First couple of years it was small and felt like a family business.

Cons

As time went on and company expanded the atmosphere changed. People ended up in management who shouldn't have been and an 'old boy' network began to appear. The culture became much more negative. During the last year I was there my department went thru 4 managers and was on the fifth. It's really a shame. I was there 8 years and had enjoyed my job for a long time.

Pay attention to what employees do and what their jobs involve before making decisions, foster a culture of respect and value your older employees. Promote people that care about the company & employees, not their egos.

The bad outweighs the good at EBSCO

Former Employee - Abstractor  in  Topsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Abstractor in Topsfield, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting place for recent college grads, decent benefits, good co-workers.

Cons

The pay is really terrible because it's based on Alabama's cost of living, which screws people in bigger and more expensive cities over. They only care about their profits and their customers, it was made very clear that there are always a large number of applicants for every position so you were replaceable. People often got promoted with little rhyme or reason and with zero management experience of ability. Silo mentality and very little cooperation between departments. Most of the buildings are cubicle farms with no regard for the people who work there.

Remember that your employees want the business to do well and to treat them like adults and human beings. Stop taking advantage of the poor job market and raise people's salaries to competitive levels. PLEASE hire managers more intelligently, or at least provide management training at regular intervals.

Cubicle Nightmare

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free coffee, decent cafeteria, train access

Cons

Dead end boring jobs, raise freezes poor benefits, very little time off, paranoid culture. They will fire anyone at any time over nothing. I thought I was losing my mind in my cubicle.

Wake up. Your employees are just biggest asset.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for locals to gain work experience

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Many types of jobs
    Promotions available to achievers based on connections
    Nice facility
    Solid product mix

Cons

Consistently low pay
    Boys' club mentality
    Sparse benefits
    Weak management due to internal promotions of individuals without management training or experience

Share more of the company's profits with employees, in the form of better raises
    Open up the boys' club network to everyone who deserves upward mobility
    Enhance suite of benefits to be more in keeping with other companies of the same size
    Increase base salaries

Dead-end job at a technologically backward organization that's stuck the past

Former Employee - E-Content Specialist  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - E-Content Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are very good. I think that is why most people stay here, even though the pay is so low.

Cons

Not only was the pay abysmal (I was in a division full of college graduates making between $10 and $15 per hour), but my manager was terrible. Here is a short list of what my manager did to make our lives miserable:

-Micromanages to the extent that nothing can get done and tells employees to do less work and then freaks out when the work doesn't get done.
    -Never reads emails or accepts meeting requests (or accepts them and doesn't show up) and then accuses employees of never coming to her with questions
    -Tells us we need to get more work done but then goes in the Manager's office and laughs and cuts up for half the day and doesn't even pretend to be doing any work.
    -Assigns overtime and then leaves after a half day (after taking a 2 hour lunch)
    -Doesn't understand basic workflow procedures and gives conflicting answers to questions. Often gives the wrong answer to a question and doesn't remember doing so and then accuses employees of "putting words in her mouth" and berates them for doing things the wrong way...which is the way she said to do it.
    -Provides absolutely no performance feedback about strengths. Only talks about your weaknesses (which is great for morale).
    -Has to have her subordinates explain basic workflow concepts and procedures to her and often gets very confused about things she should have learned 5 years ago.
    -Doesn't allow employees to use sick time without threats of them accruing an "instance" (even with a doctor's excuse missing 5 times a year is considered "excessive") and instead makes employees make up
    time after being sick even though she often doesn't come into the office.
    -Expects all her employees to be proficient in everything instead of letting people focus on the things they're good at.
    -Often holds meetings wherein she asks trick questions and wastes time that could be used for working by debating answers to her trick questions.
    -Micromanages the good employees and questions their workflow choices and cripples their desire to succeed but ignores the underperformers and slackers because they actually NEED to be managed.
    -Constantly changes priorities with no warning and then complains that the first task was never completed even though we were told to work on something else.
    -Does not advocate for employee raises and when a rare advancement position opens in the department she hires externally instead of internally. She's created a department full of dead-end jobs with pathetic pay and then is perplexed why team morale is so low.

Pay more attention to what is going on beneath you. It's pretty bad down in the trenches.

EBSCO has a woman problem

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Nice location in Ipswich. On-site cafe is good. Free car-charging stations if you have an electric car.

Cons

For men, especially those men who get into the "inner circle", EBSCO can be a terrific place to work. High pay, huge bonuses, terrific quality of life. But if you are a woman -- expect to get ahead only if you "make like a man" and work crazy hours, travel several times each month, and play hardball with the good ol' boys' network.

I have seen men -- totally useless and feckless men - get promoted at EBSCO over intelligent and hardworking women too many times to count. It is a man's world at EBSCO. If you are a smart and driven woman, then go elsewhere. Don't waste your time at "MANSCO".

Wake up and smell the perfume -- EBSCO is unfriendly to women. It used to be a secret, but now it's talked about in the hallways by women AND men.

Great people, people focused management

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits. They are working on good technologies and are really concerned about maintaining work life balance of their employees.

Cons

Location, location location. They are situated way out in Ipswitch.

Please move close to Boston.

I was a graphic designer at Ebsco.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ebsco works hard to provide a good working environment. The division at worked for at Ebsco made sure our team worked well together and everyone was on the same page. We would have team meetings and our managers would recognize reward a job well done.

Cons

280 traffic can become a headache day after day. I had to drive to the headquarters a lot. Driving to work should be considered with high gas prices and time consuming 280 traffic.

Update look of building.

A place where I was allowed to grow

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ideally located, strong growth curve, unique culture.

Cons

Thrives on change, not necessarily a bad thing, nor an unsuccessful strategy, however if you do not adapt easily and quickly in the environment the experience can be very unnerving.

Do all you can to keep the campus atmosphere, do more to get more interaction between departments as the situation as it exists now can lead to feelings of isolation and disconnection from the rest of the company.

A Greedy and Apathetic Workplace

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

use of gym, flexible hours

Cons

I don't think I've ever met so many unfriendly and snobby people at one job in my life. Simple politeness and manners seem to elude them. Management treats subordinates like idiots and lackeys. Favoritism is rampant. Quite a few team leaders have no problem taking credit for work that others have done. Company regularly lays off (as well as finds excuses to fire) people when they're too "old" and are up for a raise, even entire departments are closed in order to save money. Anything to reach the "billion dollar mark" at anyone's expense.

Take "charm-school" lessons on how to treat people with respect and get off your high horse. You just may be one of those poor, old sods whom EBSCO has no use for someday.

Worked for EBSCO Publishing? Contribute to the Community!