EBSCO Publishing

Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Pros
  • free coffee, decent cafeteria, train access (in 5 reviews)

• Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, remote location and commute (in 4 reviews)

• Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for a relaxed work environment

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in working remotely, company is more home grown, no politics

Cons

Do not upgrade technology, always follow old school. As long as it is working let it work mentality.

Great Place to work, Pay is Decent

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Topsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Topsfield, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunity to move up. Great benefits

Cons

For such a big company, the pay isn't what it should be

Very happy at EBSCO. Love my job and this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EBSCO is a strong and growing company that promotes those who contribute ideas, who work hard and who are committed.

The company shares on Day 1 what its values and principles are for company and employee growth. Follow this road map, and you will be rewarded. Pretty simple! I've seen people (regardless of gender or age) with aptitude who demonstrate a desire to improve the company be recognized, given more opportunity, and promoted. I have never felt that an idea or suggestion for improvement was not fairly considered, and more often than not I've been asked/empowered to see that it gets implemented. I find that very satisfying, and it's the basis for a great relationship with the company.

I like that EBSCO supports environmental efforts, is located in a pretty town on the North Shore, and offers good benefits including profit sharing, which get better the longer you work here. Other benefits include management training, a very good (subsidized) employee cafeteria, a large gym, use of EBSCO products, and great coworkers.

I wish I had started working here sooner.

Cons

Working in an environment with continual growth and change isn't always easy. That said, if you're flexible and willing to learn, adapt and take on new challenges, you can really succeed here.

Used to be strong company; now profits are up but employee retention is a waterfall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits (could use personal days off)
    Great location! Nice town, no hassle commute

Cons

Women are not respected, credited, or promoted
    Loaded with middle management out of touch with front line workers
    No idea who is stacking glassdoor with glowing reviews (HR?). EP would be better served fixing (rather than whitewashing) the problems.

I have never worked in a professional company where so many people leave with so little notice. Do they jump? Are they pushed? A recruiter reported that they used to have clients begging to get into EP. Now they are only seeing people striving to leave.

Used to be a great company work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffee, real good cafeteria, great location- I was in an old mill building on the river. Flexible hours. Benefits were acceptable. First couple of years it was small and felt like a family business.

Cons

As time went on and company expanded the atmosphere changed. People ended up in management who shouldn't have been and an 'old boy' network began to appear. The culture became much more negative. During the last year I was there my department went thru 4 managers and was on the fifth. It's really a shame. I was there 8 years and had enjoyed my job for a long time.

Pay attention to what employees do and what their jobs involve before making decisions, foster a culture of respect and value your older employees. Promote people that care about the company & employees, not their egos.

The bad outweighs the good at EBSCO

Former Employee - Abstractor in Topsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Abstractor in Topsfield, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starting place for recent college grads, decent benefits, good co-workers.

Cons

The pay is really terrible because it's based on Alabama's cost of living, which screws people in bigger and more expensive cities over. They only care about their profits and their customers, it was made very clear that there are always a large number of applicants for every position so you were replaceable. People often got promoted with little rhyme or reason and with zero management experience of ability. Silo mentality and very little cooperation between departments. Most of the buildings are cubicle farms with no regard for the people who work there.

Remember that your employees want the business to do well and to treat them like adults and human beings. Stop taking advantage of the poor job market and raise people's salaries to competitive levels. PLEASE hire managers more intelligently, or at least provide management training at regular intervals.

Cubicle Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free coffee, decent cafeteria, train access

Cons

Dead end boring jobs, raise freezes poor benefits, very little time off, paranoid culture. They will fire anyone at any time over nothing. I thought I was losing my mind in my cubicle.

Wake up. Your employees are just biggest asset.

Good place for locals to gain work experience

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Many types of jobs
    Promotions available to achievers based on connections
    Nice facility
    Solid product mix

Cons

Consistently low pay
    Boys' club mentality
    Sparse benefits
    Weak management due to internal promotions of individuals without management training or experience

Share more of the company's profits with employees, in the form of better raises
    Open up the boys' club network to everyone who deserves upward mobility
    Enhance suite of benefits to be more in keeping with other companies of the same size
    Increase base salaries

Dead-end job at a technologically backward organization that's stuck the past

Former Employee - E-Content Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - E-Content Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are very good. I think that is why most people stay here, even though the pay is so low.

Cons

Not only was the pay abysmal (I was in a division full of college graduates making between $10 and $15 per hour), but my manager was terrible. Here is a short list of what my manager did to make our lives miserable:

-Micromanages to the extent that nothing can get done and tells employees to do less work and then freaks out when the work doesn't get done.
    -Never reads emails or accepts meeting requests (or accepts them and doesn't show up) and then accuses employees of never coming to her with questions
    -Tells us we need to get more work done but then goes in the Manager's office and laughs and cuts up for half the day and doesn't even pretend to be doing any work.
    -Assigns overtime and then leaves after a half day (after taking a 2 hour lunch)
    -Doesn't understand basic workflow procedures and gives conflicting answers to questions. Often gives the wrong answer to a question and doesn't remember doing so and then accuses employees of "putting words in her mouth" and berates them for doing things the wrong way...which is the way she said to do it.
    -Provides absolutely no performance feedback about strengths. Only talks about your weaknesses (which is great for morale).
    -Has to have her subordinates explain basic workflow concepts and procedures to her and often gets very confused about things she should have learned 5 years ago.
    -Doesn't allow employees to use sick time without threats of them accruing an "instance" (even with a doctor's excuse missing 5 times a year is considered "excessive") and instead makes employees make up
    time after being sick even though she often doesn't come into the office.
    -Expects all her employees to be proficient in everything instead of letting people focus on the things they're good at.
    -Often holds meetings wherein she asks trick questions and wastes time that could be used for working by debating answers to her trick questions.
    -Micromanages the good employees and questions their workflow choices and cripples their desire to succeed but ignores the underperformers and slackers because they actually NEED to be managed.
    -Constantly changes priorities with no warning and then complains that the first task was never completed even though we were told to work on something else.
    -Does not advocate for employee raises and when a rare advancement position opens in the department she hires externally instead of internally. She's created a department full of dead-end jobs with pathetic pay and then is perplexed why team morale is so low.

Pay more attention to what is going on beneath you. It's pretty bad down in the trenches.

EBSCO has a woman problem

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Nice location in Ipswich. On-site cafe is good. Free car-charging stations if you have an electric car.

Cons

For men, especially those men who get into the "inner circle", EBSCO can be a terrific place to work. High pay, huge bonuses, terrific quality of life. But if you are a woman -- expect to get ahead only if you "make like a man" and work crazy hours, travel several times each month, and play hardball with the good ol' boys' network.

I have seen men -- totally useless and feckless men - get promoted at EBSCO over intelligent and hardworking women too many times to count. It is a man's world at EBSCO. If you are a smart and driven woman, then go elsewhere. Don't waste your time at "MANSCO".

Wake up and smell the perfume -- EBSCO is unfriendly to women. It used to be a secret, but now it's talked about in the hallways by women AND men.

EBSCO Publishing Photos