EBSCO Publishing

Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Pros
  • free coffee, decent cafeteria, train access (in 5 reviews)

• Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, remote location and commute (in 4 reviews)

• Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, people focused management

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits. They are working on good technologies and are really concerned about maintaining work life balance of their employees.

Cons

Location, location location. They are situated way out in Ipswitch.

Please move close to Boston.

I was a graphic designer at Ebsco.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ebsco works hard to provide a good working environment. The division at worked for at Ebsco made sure our team worked well together and everyone was on the same page. We would have team meetings and our managers would recognize reward a job well done.

Cons

280 traffic can become a headache day after day. I had to drive to the headquarters a lot. Driving to work should be considered with high gas prices and time consuming 280 traffic.

Update look of building.

A place where I was allowed to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ideally located, strong growth curve, unique culture.

Cons

Thrives on change, not necessarily a bad thing, nor an unsuccessful strategy, however if you do not adapt easily and quickly in the environment the experience can be very unnerving.

Do all you can to keep the campus atmosphere, do more to get more interaction between departments as the situation as it exists now can lead to feelings of isolation and disconnection from the rest of the company.

A Greedy and Apathetic Workplace

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

use of gym, flexible hours

Cons

I don't think I've ever met so many unfriendly and snobby people at one job in my life. Simple politeness and manners seem to elude them. Management treats subordinates like idiots and lackeys. Favoritism is rampant. Quite a few team leaders have no problem taking credit for work that others have done. Company regularly lays off (as well as finds excuses to fire) people when they're too "old" and are up for a raise, even entire departments are closed in order to save money. Anything to reach the "billion dollar mark" at anyone's expense.

Take "charm-school" lessons on how to treat people with respect and get off your high horse. You just may be one of those poor, old sods whom EBSCO has no use for someday.

New Employee Revolving Door

Former Employee - Editorial in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cafeteria and Gym - Did not have time to use either.

Cons

Ever wonder why this company has so many open positions in this day and age? There is a constant pressure to increase group performance with very unrealistic targets. They do not have the IT/software capacity to bring processes up to date let alone reach the output that they expect. Management is left to force/bully subordinates with immunity. Constantly changing priorities, discarding weeks and months once priority work in the garbage. There is a lot of inter-department fighting and back stabbing wasting time and energy. Really the worse place I have ever worked.

Lots, but they would not listen!

It's fine.

Current Employee - Marketing in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Convenient if you live on the North Shore

Cons

It's a boy's club and the culture could use a makeover

Upper management should keep doing what they're doing. Middle managers should be reassessed.

Not the place it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice location - right along the Ipswich River. A short walk to a variety of restaurants downtown for lunch. Onsite gym. And that's about it.

Cons

Moral has been declining for about two years now.

They expect way too much work out of their employees for what they pay them. They pride themselves on how it's such a great place to work and you don't have to go to Boston. But the pay is very low and raises are minimal if you get one at all.

They've taken away every perk. No summer parties, no winter parties, not even the ice cream social. Once upon a time, you'd get out a couple hours early on the Friday before a long weekend (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day). Those days are gone. You're lucky if they let you out at 4. Yet they want more work out of their employees. Far too many people are staying late at the office or bringing work home at night and on the weekends.

You don't really have an opportunity to move up unless you're in the boy's club or you're wiling to work 60/wk. It's not uncommon to see unqualified people get a promotion because most of the time it's a popularity contest.

Start showing some appreciation to your employees. Employees are at, if not already over capacity with their workload. Don't continue to pile more work on them. Start giving promotions to people who deserve it, not to the jock.

It is alright

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have an opportunity to manage and do overall plan by yourself

Cons

hard to get promotion if you work outside HQ or regional HQ

Find a better company to work for

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

If you are very very lucky HR might get back to you.

Cons

I applied to Network Engineer position, a day later, HR person responded to setup time for phone interview and then never showed. No call, no email. I called and emailed several times to no avail. But several months later, after the position kept cycling on all the job boards, here comes Mr. HR with a tail between the legs. Anyway, I politely wished him luck even though I was still on the job market.

Know what people say about your company and take ACTION!!

A is for awkward

Former Employee - Subject Index Editor in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Subject Index Editor in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ipswich, MA is a pretty town, and the physical plant of the offices there is very nice - converted mill buildings on the water. There is a free, on-site gym that employees can use. If you are in a town on the commuter rail, the train will drop you off right at EBSCO. There's also a nice, fairly reasonably priced cafeteria.

Cons

I was temporarily contracted to work on a project there, and the pay was very low, but I have heard the pay is low for permanent employees also, especially considering the cost of living in the area - the north shore (and all of greater Boston) is an expensive place to live. Although you may love literature and words, as I do, the editorial work does not really allow for too much savoring. You have be careful to move quickly, not take too much time delving into the work in order to make your numbers because the amount of work you do is constantly being monitored and quantified. While such monitoring is par for the course these days, the feeling of being watched can lead to a somewhat tense work environment. The most notable quality about EBSCO for me was the large number of socially awkward people who were employed there. Granted, doing editorial work does not lend itself to socially interacting with your coworkers, but it was hard to even to say good morning to most of them because they wouldn't look up. I'd pass people in the hall and they wouldn't even make eye contact. There was one person who walked to the bathroom, holding and reading a book - while walking! No kidding! The manager was extremely awkward; one on one interactions with her were minimal but painful. Her office door was always open but only in the literal sense. The job might be good for people who are extremely introverted and don't like to interact with others, but I think even introverts would prefer some pleasant interaction, and the atmosphere at EBSCO just seems unfriendly.

Pay should be commensurate with the cost of living. Hire socially skilled people to be managers.

EBSCO Publishing Photos