EBSCO Publishing Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

2.7

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Pros
  • Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Reputable company with great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits (in 4 reviews)

• low salary, remote location and commute (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Company to Work at

Former Employee - QA Engineer  in  Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing as an intern for more than a year

Pros

People are nice to work with. There are always new projects to work on, in most departments. People are treated with respect and your opinions are valued.

Cons

A company to retire at. A young professional would do better being a part of a company more fast paced environment where he might have the opportunity to learn more.

Great Place to Work and Grow - Awesome Culture

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Strong leadership
    Lots of opportunites for advancement
    Value employees opinions
    subsidized Cafe
    fantastic benefits package

Cons

Fast paced due to the type of work we do
    Cold to walk between buildings in the winter
    Great profit sharing plan

Keep on growing the company!

There are worse places to work

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, decent (not great) benefits. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Less family oriented now, more corporate. A lot of upheaval lately.

your employees are not pawns, they are people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company culture has gone from great to poor in one year

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good products, company subsidized cafeteria, free coffee, good co-workers, generally a good bunch of people that I have worked with directly

Cons

I used to recommend this company to my friends but not any more. When I started, it seemed like employees were respected and appreciated. I heard a lot about it being a family friendly place that didnt act like it owned its workers. There was a merger recently and maybe thats the reason for the change, but now the focus is on numbers. Good employees have been laid off with no reason or notice, some who were new hires. the vacation system has changed to accruing a few hours each pay period, making it nearly impossible to take s week long vacation. Also about production. Theres a lot of work going to overseas vendors and the quality of the content is going downhill. So called flex scheduling really isn't that flexible- there's little lee way given for necessary changes to schedule, like for medical appointments

Appreciate your employees, take care of them and they will return appreciation by giving good results, good production. If you continue to go after numbers and production, putting people second, quality and production will go down and EBSCO products won't be in demand. Don't outsource Editorial work to places where English is not the first language- such a bad idea.

Should be a great place to work..... but just isn't

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Physical plant -- a beautiful location in downtown Ipswich. Good products. Very customer focused.

Cons

Parent company is based in Alabama and it really shows. HR practices and policies are unbelievably old-fashioned. Benefits suck, because they are determined by the norms in Alabama, not Mass.

At times it was a bit like working in a factory in the 1950's. Management is totally focused on the lowest common denominator and manages to that point. They spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out how people might be "cheating", and how to "catch them out". My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- repeatedly told me that we had to keep people in a state of fear, since that's what would bring out the best performance.One story was legendary and told to me many times. Apparently JT Stephens -- the son of the original founder -- had once fired one of the EP employees when he was up visiting from Birmingham -- because the employee had walked on the grass. This apparently showed "disrepect". People told this story with pride.... "what a tough guy he was". UGH!!

HR was draconian.... As a manager, I would be brought weekly reports from the card reader access software, showing me the exact comings-and-goings of people in my group. HR would highlight the names of people they believed were spending too much time outside or -- in the case of one of my employees -- the bathrooms (the employee in question had a medical issue that accounted for that situation). It was truly bizarre. On snow storm days, HR would walk through the floors with a clipboard, noting down who wasn't at their desk at 9:15 in the morning.... reprimands would follow. On the compensation front, even when the company is doing very, very well pay is often frozen.

My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- truly enjoyed upsetting people. I believe that the CEO knew this and knew how he operated. But he did nothing to remedy the situation.

Last, but not least, take a look at how many women there are on the senior management team. Speaks volumes,,,,

Miserable Atmosphere!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location, beautiful setting on the Ipswich River.

Cons

Strange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it is to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and continued back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing!

Focus and refine your present products before developing more and more and more.....

good

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

nice people to work for

Cons

not an easy commute for this location

Aggressive, Strategically Advanced, but unfortunately some areas suffer from lack of leadership

I worked at EBSCO Publishing

Pros

create excellent products, has a good corporate philosophy and culture

Cons

unfortunately, don't practice what they preach in their philosophy and culture

seek leadership skills and seek management skills

Grew too fast

Former Employee - Editorial
    Former Employee - Editorial

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Low-cost cafe, main (Ipswich) campus is nice, nice people.

Cons

My department was one of the unlucky ones to get moved to an off-campus location (very ungracefully), where we promptly fell off the map. There was no longer any sense of community. If you're thinking of working here, be sure that you will be in the Ipswich offices and not Topsfield. In my opinion, the company grew too fast and could no longer balance employee satisfaction. Like another reviewer said, EP is determined to become a billion dollar company at any cost.

The products I worked on broke all the time and EP simply does not have the technological resources/staff to fix them. Critical product issues would simply be ignored when a solution was not immediately found. The environment in editorial is dead quiet and human interaction is not encouraged. I would describe the environment as depressing and have actually heard other former employees call it 'soul sucking'.

Pay was on the lower end of most ranges. Raises, while appreciated, were very small and did not seem to meet the increasing expectations of my position. I experienced a lot of restructuring after a major acquisition and it was terribly disorganized and stressful.

There do seem to be more perks in departments outside of Editorial, such as being salaried (Editorial is generally hourly), allowance for working from home, slightly better pay.

Show respect to Editorial, since they are the employees who make your products. Person-to-person conversation should be encouraged.

It's a great place to start a career, though leaves less room for advancement.

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, interesting, and delightfully quirky coworkers. It's a great place for early career work. I thought the the projects with which I was involved were interesting and meaningful.

Cons

Excessive workload, and unrealistic expectations. Sometimes poor communication between departments-- e.g. Sales or management departments would advertise a product launch date without consulting the tech department. As a result, timelines were often completely unreasonable based on project scope and resources available. I felt like there was lots of backpedaling, combined with busting our tails to try to deliver by a compromised date, in order to keep customers happy.

Schedule/work arrangements were very inconsistent between employees.-- Flex time and remote work were allowed for some employees, but not for others, etc. This was often a low point of morale among staff.

Please embrace the mantra of under-promising and over-delivering. The stress yo-yo of the opposite is why you have such turnover.

Worked for EBSCO Publishing? Contribute to the Community!