EBSCO Publishing

Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

EBSCO Publishing President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Pros
  • free coffee, decent cafeteria, train access (in 5 reviews)

• Very nice people, good personal growth prospects, Great benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, remote location and commute (in 4 reviews)

• Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It is alright

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Good if you love working independently. company provide great opportunity to use your own strategy.

Cons

slow decision making ... low salary....

Good people, Good intentions, Poor Compensation

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, Cafe, Location (right near train and downtown Ipswich), flexible hours, friendly people.

Cons

Compensation, upper management, policies and some benefits. Retirement options are sad/confusing (require over a year of employment to enroll) and vacation days are on the low end. You feel like you are replaceable.

Retention = more than just saying "we acknowledge your good work". In the of the day, if I see my coworkers getting fed up at the low pay and over-working, I too will leave to find a new job. Ideas - bring back employee parties, bonuses, more incentives, commission, etc. On one hand it's great to be part of a growing company, but on the other, if the growth isn't reflected in my paycheck, or I'm not incentivised, then I'm less inclined to be on-board with company growth.

Great technology and people, a winning combination

Former Employee - Product Manager in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is room to move ahead if you are so inclined. The work can be tedious at times, though each employee has the flexibility to enhance their work by coming up with new ideas about it.

Th company is proacive in terms of community involvement and being green, with solar panels and solar hot water heaters on site.

Employees are afforded access to the latest technology and updated equipment on which to work.

Cons

The compensation is not the highest in the area and there is a strong sense of needing to be part of an inner circle to get ahead or earn serious compensation.

Grant more generous raises in keeping with profitability to ensure that long-term employees feel properly rewarded for their investment and loyalty to the company. Try to eliminate showing such preferential treatment to the in-crowd.

This company is really going down the tubes...

Former Employee - Editor in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Editor in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The cafeteria is pretty good

Cons

Negative culture, low wages, awful benefits, lack of advancement opportunities, outsourced production, emphasis on quantity over quality

Stop focusing on how much money the company is making and start focusing on what really matters... your employees. If a person is doing more work than expected and handling projects outside of their regular responsibilities; you should give that person a raise, not lay them off. The large majority of employees don't feel good about working for this company anymore. Whatever "positive culture" EBSCO had is quickly fading away. If an emphasis isn't put back on to the employees, the quality of the products will continue to nosedive and the sales numbers will follow. That's the bottom line.

Was a very family-friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - National Sales Director in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - National Sales Director in Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Had no issues getting off when I needed to, family-friendly, great people

Cons

Salaries were pushed down but that was mostly because I was there during the Great Recession

Pay your people better

Decent Company to Work at

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice to work with. There are always new projects to work on, in most departments. People are treated with respect and your opinions are valued.

Cons

A company to retire at. A young professional would do better being a part of a company more fast paced environment where he might have the opportunity to learn more.

Great Place to Work and Grow - Awesome Culture

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Strong leadership
    Lots of opportunites for advancement
    Value employees opinions
    subsidized Cafe
    fantastic benefits package

Cons

Fast paced due to the type of work we do
    Cold to walk between buildings in the winter
    Great profit sharing plan

Keep on growing the company!

There are worse places to work

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, decent (not great) benefits. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Less family oriented now, more corporate. A lot of upheaval lately.

your employees are not pawns, they are people.

Company culture has gone from great to poor in one year

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant

I have been working at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good products, company subsidized cafeteria, free coffee, good co-workers, generally a good bunch of people that I have worked with directly

Cons

I used to recommend this company to my friends but not any more. When I started, it seemed like employees were respected and appreciated. I heard a lot about it being a family friendly place that didnt act like it owned its workers. There was a merger recently and maybe thats the reason for the change, but now the focus is on numbers. Good employees have been laid off with no reason or notice, some who were new hires. the vacation system has changed to accruing a few hours each pay period, making it nearly impossible to take s week long vacation. Also about production. Theres a lot of work going to overseas vendors and the quality of the content is going downhill. So called flex scheduling really isn't that flexible- there's little lee way given for necessary changes to schedule, like for medical appointments

Appreciate your employees, take care of them and they will return appreciation by giving good results, good production. If you continue to go after numbers and production, putting people second, quality and production will go down and EBSCO products won't be in demand. Don't outsource Editorial work to places where English is not the first language- such a bad idea.

Should be a great place to work..... but just isn't

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, MA

I worked at EBSCO Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Physical plant -- a beautiful location in downtown Ipswich. Good products. Very customer focused.

Cons

Parent company is based in Alabama and it really shows. HR practices and policies are unbelievably old-fashioned. Benefits suck, because they are determined by the norms in Alabama, not Mass.

At times it was a bit like working in a factory in the 1950's. Management is totally focused on the lowest common denominator and manages to that point. They spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out how people might be "cheating", and how to "catch them out". My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- repeatedly told me that we had to keep people in a state of fear, since that's what would bring out the best performance.One story was legendary and told to me many times. Apparently JT Stephens -- the son of the original founder -- had once fired one of the EP employees when he was up visiting from Birmingham -- because the employee had walked on the grass. This apparently showed "disrepect". People told this story with pride.... "what a tough guy he was". UGH!!

HR was draconian.... As a manager, I would be brought weekly reports from the card reader access software, showing me the exact comings-and-goings of people in my group. HR would highlight the names of people they believed were spending too much time outside or -- in the case of one of my employees -- the bathrooms (the employee in question had a medical issue that accounted for that situation). It was truly bizarre. On snow storm days, HR would walk through the floors with a clipboard, noting down who wasn't at their desk at 9:15 in the morning.... reprimands would follow. On the compensation front, even when the company is doing very, very well pay is often frozen.

My direct manager -- a member of the senior management team -- truly enjoyed upsetting people. I believe that the CEO knew this and knew how he operated. But he did nothing to remedy the situation.

Last, but not least, take a look at how many women there are on the senior management team. Speaks volumes,,,,

EBSCO Publishing Photos