EBSCO Reviews

Updated July 11, 2014
Updated July 11, 2014

2.6

F. Dixon Brooke Jr.

Good place to work; somewhat progressive in vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clanton, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clanton, AL

I worked at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

Pros

People at this location are; loyal, hardworking and have the desire to produce the highest quality product for their customers. They want to manufacture their products; safely, with the highest of quality at the time the customer wants it.

Cons

Senior levels of Leadership is losing their Lean vision. Some members of leadership see Lean value in reducing headcount as a result of Lean.

Your workforce will soon figure out your mis-guided strategy of cost reductions and will be reluctant to provide improvement ideas or be willing participants to improvement activities, when you only see the improvement outcomes as a reduction in force.

Work very hard for marginal pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent health insurance. Definitely a financially solid corporation and well diversified as a company. They have a very unique product.

Cons

I worked very hard for this company for a little over a year continually meeting sales quotas. However, I would not consider working for this company again nor recommend them. The home office treated its field sales people poorly and even bordering on disrespectful at times. I personally witnessed the proverbial "Revolving door" of sales people leaving.

• This company has been withholding my final pay for over 8 months. They are not an honest company. I doubt they will ever pay it.
    • During my 2nd week of employment, I made a paperwork error and was charged back the “Retail” price of materials to correct the mistake. I was brand new.
    • The gas reimbursement worked out to be about 10 cents per mile
    • They pay a 15% sales commission, but then assess charge backs at the rate of 25%

I was initially impressed to learn that a handful of individuals had been with the company an impressive amount of years. However, what I later learned is that most sales people left after being treated like terribly.

They definitely come first and the employee comes in a distant second.

Treat your employees as though you care about them.

Upper Management stuck in the 1950's

Current Employee - Account Service Manager  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Account Service Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

Pros

The paychecks don't bounce.

They'll hire you to do jobs you're not qualified for so they don't have to pay what the job is worth. But, that means if you're looking to get started in a career, this is a good stepping stone to that goal.

Benefits aren't the worst in the world.

Cons

They never pay what people are worth. Never.

They'd much rather hire someone who doesn't know squat so they don't have to pay the person who knows how to do the job.

I used to think Job Security was a big Pro for working here, but our division is being dismantled, and management is doing NOTHING to help secure employment with alternative divisions. That took my review from 3 to 2 stars.

Management has a very rigid dress code, for some outdated reason. We used to wear Jeans Mondays and Fridays, but they decided to even take that away from us. (We work in cubicles and don't deal with the public face-to-face on any sort of regularity... )

EBSCO would rather hire a manager from outside the company than to promote from within. That's created a whole world of bitterness in their broken corporate culture.

Learn to lead the leaders around you to lead the leaders around them. Promote from within more frequently. Give your employees a reason to look forward to the next 5-10 years of working for you.

Also, give the dress code a rest. It's the 21st century, and if you have staff who don't have to work face to face with the public, judge those employees on their results. I realize having a company full of people walking around with holes up and down their jeans is an eyesore -- I'm not saying don't set guidelines, but it's summer. How might the freedom to wear shorts, jeans, and tee shirts (within appropriate reason) boost the morale of your antiquated corporate culture? Seriously, ask yourselves what you're doing for morale by allowing so much micromanagement to occur.

Lead the leaders around you to lead the leaders around them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

INCREDIBLE COMPANY

Current Employee - Sales  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and salary are great!

Cons

Corporate micro management of sales force.

Let people work their own system

Wonderful people, good environment

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance II  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance II in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is largely welcoming and supportive of a work-life balance. EBSCO is also a company that is very 'green' and even the headquarters building seems almost organic, blending into the mountaintop in a way that is not intrusive. There are recycling options everywhere, with encouragement to bring in items to recycle. The benefits are good, not great, and the team atmosphere is very positive and strong. The salaries are also good, not great, but much of the culture offset that, particularly the team leads, who were and are excellent. Cross training is encouraged across teams, and in house training was becoming more available prior to the time I left.

Cons

The department I worked in was going through some growing pains and changes. At that time, one of the senior managers, no longer there, set an abrasive and uncertain tone, setting off concerns of a layoff. Ironically, this led to many people, including me, taking other opportunities, and shortly after all of us had gone, he left as well. (Had I but known.) If not for that and the lure of a higher salary, I would not have left. My immediate manager and his manager were generally supportive of staff, although there were a few issues of miscommunication. I also felt that once I gave notice, I was persona non grata; frankly, if anyone had tried or expressed the desire, I might have been convinced to stay.

Be more aware of what is happening in the department; I really do think that without the particular upper manager's 'threat' of potential company instability, many of us who left would still be there. I like to think that most of us were an asset, and would have remained. I know that I would have.

RUN ... away from this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time

Pros

Good medical insurance, Paid holidays

Cons

Never got an evaluation. Claims pay is based on merit but its not. NO training. Your job may be given to someone else and you are not even told, just find out through an email... Turnover rate is unbelievable. Management broadcasts your personal business to the entire department and is VERY unfair. Absolutely no room for advancement. Scam most of their customers out of money.

Need to do some serious evaluations to the managers/supervisors in EIS-BR. If you would review your managers files, emails, etc, you would see how seriously they lack management skills. By far the worst management I have ever worked for both personally and professionally.

Great company with great products

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at EBSCO full-time

Pros

They do not hold you back. They will help you succeed and staff is wonderful.

Cons

Willget paid fairly but won't get rich.

Working at McDonalds seems appealing

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good health and dental benefits. Paid holidays and floating holidays. Nice scenery. Job stability. Cafeteria serves breakfast and lunch and is very reasonably priced.

Cons

Every division has its own policies. Poor pay for the amount of work assigned. Little room for advancement. Archaic database. Lack of adequate training. No incentives

Outsourcing tasks to India will not benefit the company when the in house employees aren't given the resources necessary to provide the best end result possible. Provide incentives to boost morale!

Poor management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at EBSCO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back. That is the only pro

Cons

No structure, poor management , and no leadership.No room for advancement. Be sure you have common sense and can teach yourself how to do a job that doesn't have a wide range in skills for a new job due to no training. the pay is terrible for being over worked.

Pay attention to the employees and value the employees you have left rather than driving them away. Teach your staff how to be a leader. It takes more than one leader to be successful. Reward your staff I other ways if you are unable to dish out money. There are always other incentives that don't involve money.

a persons raise/evalution/promotions are dependant on the dept they work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO

Pros

good location, great medical insurance

Cons

pay/evals/promotions seem to be based on favoratism

departmental managers need to be held more accountable

Worked for EBSCO? Contribute to the Community!